Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2014, 16:09   #526
D4D
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio (Brio-based MPV) coming soon? EDIT: pre-launch ad on p29

A friend is planning to buy this vehicle. He's asked me a few questions:
  • Will the last row seats flip to the side after folding? (like the innova)
  • Does the diesel have six ratios?
  • Is the speed restricted to 140kmph? (I told him this question doesn't matter )

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th July 2014, 16:27   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
A friend is planning to buy this vehicle. He's asked me a few questions:
  • Will the last row seats flip to the side after folding? (like the innova)
  • Does the diesel have six ratios?
  • Is the speed restricted to 140kmph? (I told him this question doesn't matter )

Thanks in advance.
No offense but if he wants to buy it, why not go to the showroom and see instead of getting second hand information?
patron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 17:03   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The middle row, though, could have done with a bit more thigh support. While the third row space in the Mobilio may not be segment leading, the availability of much more bootspace as compared to the competition makes it a more versatile product. The space in the Mobilio’s third row isn’t as much as the Ertiga, though it more than makes up for it by offering a decent sized boot with all three rows of seats up. (I can see Paragbhai chuckling!)
Oh no I am not trust me. In the first place, I never picked the Ertiga looking for a 3rd row. I welcomed it without any reservation. I don’t recall if I had a hint that Mobilio was getting launched but if I look back at my decisions in past, I am one of those who would end up buying almost instantly rather than waiting for a new (& befitting) model to arrive in the market with better offering. I picked the WagonR when that model was getting Phased out but I loved the reclining second row in the WagonR.

It was only yesterday that we returned from Mangalore taking the Charmadi Ghats with 5 on board. We were just 3 during onward journey and Dad asked 2 of his friends to hop in so that we could drop them back to my hometown.

11 Hair Pin climbs, twisty roads for 60% of the journey spanning 165 kms and now imagine 3 passengers on the second row smelling each other’s armpits and rubbing shoulders every time I took on that Hair pin. Do that 11 times over 45 minutes and I am sure they would complain it as one of the worst experiences.

One of the uncles with a good build wanted to indulge in siesta after that heavy Konkani feast and he preferred doing that in the last row without disturbing anyone else.

That was wise; I pulled one part of the 2nd row ahead and gave him enough leg space to stretch. Rest of the 2 sat comfortably on the second row introducing that armrest in between them to stay away from each other. The 4th one sat next to me while I was hooked onto the steering, as usual.

At the end of the journey, the uncle (who drives a Duster too) didn't complain of Body roll or even bumpy ride (that I suspected due to last row sitting and kept telling that he may hit his head on the roof and if he wants to shift to second row). Story over and this was the 3rd instance and 1st in ghats where I used the 3rd row. Lets not talk about how unsafe it was to make someone sit on the 3rd row. It was available to seat with belts and we made use of it accordingly! Plus, the place where there is IRVM is still used as a mirror and not to watch movies on that LED/LCD screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I'll repeat what I said, making a dent on sales of Ertiga is slightly difficult unless prices are on par with Ertiga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Somehow I think otherwise. I think it will make a dent on the Ertiga sales.
I remember telling some days before. The Mobilio for sure will make a dent. After all it is marketed against the Ertiga.
Quote:
Remember the Ertiga is no Dzire.
It was never, and It won’t be. It’s a new segment and now seeing that consistently manage 4-5k units each month, others are waking up and they too won't set the charts on fire but merely eat into each others (may be in their own) segment.
Quote:
It hasn't set the sales charts on fire like the Dzire.
Again, the notion of MUV (against a Sedan) and non-requirement of the occasional/flexi seating on 3rd row will be the main reasons why someone will not pick an MUV if he’s decided to settle for a Sedan.
Quote:
You get nice discounts on Ertiga and the dealers are trying hard.
Was 20k Cash Discount when I bought it in Oct 2013 and is 30k now. Apart from that, typical exchange bonus is in the offering since many months/years. Anything over and above this (Barring corporate discounts) is when you bargain for freebies but then a dealership in Bangalore was fined by MSIL for unfair trade practices for doing the same.

Quote:
Going by initial impressions, both engines in Mobilio are stronger than Ertiga, both deliver as good FE if not better, Mobilio packaging is better with more space in middle row and bigger boot space. IMO both cars have an equally unusable 3rd row for full adults and are best suited for kids.
Perfect and as I mentioned earlier, if it was today, I may have been the most confused mind deciding over the Mobilio or the Ertiga. But hey, I have already clocked 22000 in the Ertiga now!
Quote:
It misses out on key features like climate control, bluetooth telephony
You just reminded me to dig further into my next DIY on steering mounted controls for Audio (and possibly a replacement of the stock HU with a double DIN with BT )

So if someone asks me Ertiga or Mobilio, I would ask them to consider both telling them that Mobilio has a bigger heart, more powerful, more efficient and better boot as well!

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th July 2014 at 17:09.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 17:26   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I think otherwise. I think it will make a dent on the Ertiga sales. Remember the Ertiga is no Dzire. It hasn't set the sales charts on fire like the Dzire. You get nice discounts on Ertiga and the dealers are trying hard.
That's akin to asking why the Toyota Fortuner doesn't sell 20,000 units like the Alto?! We're talking apples and oranges here. Different price segments and higher you go up the segment ladder, lesser will be the market for it. Don't show me Innova because Innova's bread and butter is the taxi market while Ertiga isn't sold to cab companies.

Quote:
Going by initial impressions, both engines in Mobilio are stronger than Ertiga, both deliver as good FE if not better, Mobilio packaging is better with more space in middle row and bigger boot space. IMO both cars have an equally unusable 3rd row for full adults and are best suited for kids.
Unless we attempt to re-write the rules of physics, I cannot fathom how a Mobilio which is marginally narrower with a shorter wheelbase be more spacious in the middle row? BTW, the pics of the middle row are a huge giveaway on the cushioning of those seats to salvage every mm of space!

I don't know if you own an Ertiga but here's something from an owner who's owned one for 2.5 years and 53000 kms. The last row is equally comfortable for adults upto 5'9" in height with marginal adjustment to the middle row. Unless of course we're talking about the Volvo B9R, I don't see a problem with that seating arrangement for comfort.

Quote:
The Ertiga is now getting long in the tooth. It misses out on key features like climate control, bluetooth telephony and interiors with the sea of beige are getting boring. They need to refresh the Ertiga ASAP.
Does Mobilio have climate control? Correct me if I'm wrong because I thought it didn't! Also, I noticed 3 vents in the back in comparison to 4 on the Ertiga. Oh BTW, it's still got the push lever to change air circulation mode.

The interiors are purely subjective and I can see the interiors of the Ertiga more upmarket than the faux pas wood set up on the Mobilio. I remember seeing those faux pas wood set up in those old Toyota taxis in Singapore.

Quote:
The Mobilio being a newer product will hit both Ertiga and maybe even Innova to a small extent I feel.
I don't think the Mobilio will dent any competitor with its half baked attempt at a 7 seater. If at all, it may cannibalise City's sales. The Lodgy from Renault looks more promising. Not with the 1.5 dCi though!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 17:38   #530
Team-BHP Support

To add to the discussion, the mid and top end Ertiga is almost priced in the range of C-segment sedans. So folks who buy the top end Ertiga (diesel), belong to the well to do urban population; who if given a choice of an alternative, product, would definitely consider it. So from that point of view, I think we can see Ertiga sales being dented.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 17:46   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Pre-launch bookings for the Mobilio are now officially open @ 50,000/-.

First TVC released by Honda:

SOURCE - IAB
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 18:03   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So folks who buy the top end Ertiga (diesel), belong to the well to do urban population; who if given a choice of an alternative, product, would definitely consider it. So from that point of view, I think we can see Ertiga sales being dented.
Exactly how I changed my decision and picked the Ertiga too when I had couple of Sedans from C-Segment that I may have settled for. If it was today, I surely would have looked at the Mobilio too and then decided between the two on which was better or bad.
Old 8th July 2014, 18:49   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
To add to the discussion, the mid and top end Ertiga is almost priced in the range of C-segment sedans. So folks who buy the top end Ertiga (diesel), belong to the well to do urban population; who if given a choice of an alternative, product, would definitely consider it. So from that point of view, I think we can see Ertiga sales being dented.
I agree. I bought an Ertiga ZDI 10 days ago. I knew about Mobilio launch and gone through all the reviews from abroad and whatever little information available with the local media. Considering Maruti's wide A.S.S network and VFM packaging, I feel Ertiga still scores over mobilio. For that little extra boot space and additional engine power, I might have to shell out a lakh+ more in Bangalore. Being a price sensitive customer, I grabbed 30 + 20 (exchange bonus) + 2000 (Corporate Bonus) + free reverse spoiler offer (~57500 Rs in discount). Not to mention even though I hate Ertiga's lets do beige por* inside job, Mobilio's interior made it look much classier all of a sudden.

Do I regret? Not yet, but if Mobilio price very close to Ertiga, I might have a slight itching on my head
Old 8th July 2014, 19:06   #534
Senior - BHPian

The back of the Mobilio reminds me of the old Baleno Altura. And a 119 PS gasoline engine on a MPV? Bring it on , Honda.
With some good wide rubbers, it should be a fun car to drive.
Old 8th July 2014, 19:27   #535
BHPian

I am a little surprised by the generally negative thoughts being posted about the looks (subjective) and particularly the interiors of the car here while the overall reviews that have come out about the car has been positive.

If people are buying or rejecting a car only for the interiors then they are not making a sound decision IMHO. For me the following 3 things should be the priority in an MPV

1) Safety - You and your passengers should be safe
2) Space - If its for 7 people it should carry them comfortably
3) Power - The car should be able to carry all the people, overtake comfortably in a highway
4) FE - Along with the above if I get decent FE I will gladly take it

People are discussing whether this will dent Ertiga's numbers or Innova's numbers etc. Well the answer is in waiting and watching. It is possible it goes and creates a space for its own
Old 8th July 2014, 20:41   #536
BHPian

As per Motorbeam, Honda will launch Mobilio in 4 variants - E, S, V, V(O). Wondering if Mobilio RS will be the fifth variant.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/honda-...ariants-offer/
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 23:23   #537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It was never, and It won’t be. It’s a new segment and now seeing that consistently manage 4-5k units each month, others are waking up and they too won't set the charts on fire but merely eat into each others (may be in their own) segment.
Again, the notion of MUV (against a Sedan) and non-requirement of the occasional/flexi seating on 3rd row will be the main reasons why someone will not pick an MUV if he’s decided to settle for a Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
That's akin to asking why the Toyota Fortuner doesn't sell 20,000 units like the Alto?! We're talking apples and oranges here. Different price segments and higher you go up the segment ladder, lesser will be the market for it. Don't show me Innova because Innova's bread and butter is the taxi market while Ertiga isn't sold to cab companies.
I think you guys misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was never comparing the Ertiga to the Dzire. I was trying to say that the Dzire is such a blockbuster hit that it was impossible to dent the sales of the Dzire even with the Amaze and Xcent.

But in the case of the Ertiga it's different. Being in a different segment it does not do those high numbers like the Dzire. Also, you guys will agree that it does steady numbers and is consistent but is not in the league of the Swift/Dzire and even Honda City.

Quote:
Unless we attempt to re-write the rules of physics, I cannot fathom how a Mobilio which is marginally narrower with a shorter wheelbase be more spacious in the middle row? BTW, the pics of the middle row are a huge giveaway on the cushioning of those seats to salvage every mm of space!
Oh no. There is no need to disturb Newton in his grave. There is a simple thing called packaging. While you have stated the narrower width and the shorter wheelbase you seem to have missed out that the Mobilio is 120mm longer than the Ertiga.

Moreover the same way the Amaze is more spacious than the Dzire, a Liva is more spacious than a Swift, A Honda City is more spacious than Vento as well as an Altis, it is possible to make the Mobilio more spacious than the Ertiga. This is without bending the laws of physics.

Don't go by the pictures alone. I have sat in one and can definitely tell you second row is spacious. And as long as the seats are comfortable to sit in, why does it matter how many mm of cushioning I have. Honda has shown that in the Amaze which has comfortable front seats but are wafer thin for more rear seat comfort.

Quote:
I don't know if you own an Ertiga but here's something from an owner who's owned one for 2.5 years and 53000 kms. The last row is equally comfortable for adults upto 5'9" in height with marginal adjustment to the middle row. Unless of course we're talking about the Volvo B9R, I don't see a problem with that seating arrangement for comfort.
Did you notice that I reviewed the Ertiga. A colleague of mine bought one and I have spent ample time in an Ertiga. At one time I borrowed it to take my entire team of 8 out for lunch.

There is no way anyone can fit into the third row, if the middle row is all the way backwards. You have to move it forward even for a child to get inside. Forget the Volvo B9R, even the Innova has way more legroom at the 3rd row. Let's not go overboard and say that 3rd row is good in an Ertiga. It's bad in the Ertiga and it's similar in the Mobilio only lower so feels less comfortable.

Quote:
Does Mobilio have climate control? Correct me if I'm wrong because I thought it didn't! Also, I noticed 3 vents in the back in comparison to 4 on the Ertiga. Oh BTW, it's still got the push lever to change air circulation mode
Nope but the Swift and Dzire do have it. The Ertiga is already 3+ years in the market with not a single upgrade. Why should someone else offer it before Maruti has to?

And are you serious about the 3 vents vs the 4? There is a single blower with condensor at the back. The number of vents is just cosmetic. It doesn't mean 4 is better than 3 cause the air flow behind it is from the same blower.

I was merely saying if Maruti wants to battle with the Mobiio and not see a dent in the sales they should look at updating the features to go one up. Why so defensive? Don't people want features? Just cause someone else doesn't offer it why can't we expect Maruti to update instead of being content with what is there and trying to justify it's absence.

Quote:
The interiors are purely subjective and I can see the interiors of the Ertiga more upmarket than the faux pas wood set up on the Mobilio. I remember seeing those faux pas wood set up in those old Toyota taxis in Singapore.
I doubt the faux wood will even make it in the actual production cars. Maybe only for media drives. It looks horrendous IMO.

I don't doubt the Ertiga interiors being better than Mobilio. They definitely are. I am not a Maruti/Honda fanboy to justify the negatives.

The sea of beige is a pain to keep clean. For heaven's sake even the steering and gear lever are completely beige. They get dirty within days. Why not change the colour scheme to bring in some much needed change after 3+ years?

Quote:
I don't think the Mobilio will dent any competitor with its half baked attempt at a 7 seater. If at all, it may cannibalise City's sales. The Lodgy from Renault looks more promising. Not with the 1.5 dCi though!
We will have to wait and see about that but I wouldn't put it down so fast. Overall package seems to be very promising and Maruti should definitely worry.

The Lodgy on the other hand is not expected till sometime next year. Till then Honda has a clear path ahead for shaking up this segment.

The Lodgy is more van than MPV like the Evalia. And we all know how that fared in India.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th July 2014 at 23:32.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 05:49   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Did you notice that I reviewed the Ertiga. A colleague of mine bought one and I have spent ample time in an Ertiga. At one time I borrowed it to take my entire team of 8 out for lunch.

I was merely saying if Maruti wants to battle with the Mobiio and not see a dent in the sales they should look at updating the features to go one up. Why so defensive? Don't people want features? Just cause someone else doesn't offer it why can't we expect Maruti to update instead of being content with what is there and trying to justify it's absence.

I don't doubt the Ertiga interiors being better than Mobilio. They definitely are. I am not a Maruti/Honda fanboy to justify the negatives.

The sea of beige is a pain to keep clean. For heaven's sake even the steering and gear lever are completely beige. They get dirty within days. Why not change the colour scheme to bring in some much needed change after 3+ years?
Just for information of all Ertiga lovers, Maruti is already worried. Maruti is offering 50000 discount on all Ertiga variants this month. So Ertiga lovers can go a kill.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th July 2014 at 12:16. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Only quote relevant bits.
Old 9th July 2014, 07:27   #539
Team-BHP Support

Having seen the car first hand and spent some time sitting in it and exploring I'm quite sure it will do pretty well assuming they price it sensibly. As well as one can expect a non mass taxi MPV product to perform. Sure, there are several shortcomings on the interior looks bit and I'm sure this is something a 2-3 year facelift will probably rectify but nevertheless people choose these cars for their utility first ... not really because they tug the heart strings. It's nice to be pampered but if it falls short on some of these aspects it's not always a deal breaker for everyone.

Take for example the current contenders Ertiga vs Mobilio. I for one would ONLY want a product like this to get the extra couple of seats when required in a "relatively" cheaper, more compact and more car like package with maximum "flexibility". To me, the moment ertiga made the last row non split bench like it was a deal breaker. Any amount of vents and fancy gizmos wouldn't bring me back to the table on account of this single issue. Because now I'm dealing with a 5 seater or a 7 seater with almost no room in the boot. I can never invoke the 6 seats option which may actually be useful very often.

Let's do a direct compare now of some key features of ertiga and mobilio.

To my mind, and I don't have extensive user experience on either car but from a cursory look:

- SPACE: both cars offer comparable space in each row. I for one don't think either car scores dramatically over the other in this regard.

- ACCESS: getting into the 3rd row in mobilio is much easier. Everyone is discussing the space inside but not about getting there in the first place. I can tell you that accessing the ertiga 3rd row is extremely tedious while getting into the mobilio 3rd a relative breeze. Reason. Much better designed flipping mechanism for middle row and perhaps the position of the door frame as well. Again I don't know because I haven't done a specific compare with both cars along side but I distinctly recall any access to third row being very contorted in ertiga.

- BOOT: crucial bit of extra space in mobilio. This matters in these cars. The boot space in mobilio is much more usable than the ertiga. I don't think this is debatable.

- FLEXIBILITY: I'll have as much as possible please. There's just something about the way Honda packages it's designs. One thing in the ertiga I was most disappointed with was the cost cut with the rear bench. Why such a major limiter by not allowing split seats in a car whose USP should be flexibility and max options in configuration. If a manufacturer provides a lousy music system I can after market upgrade it if I like the basic car. But I can't and don't want to be dealing with seats.

It's hard to pin point what sale it's taking away, ertiga, Innova, city or something else. Sometimes, a customer may buy a mobilio when he would otherwise not have touched an ertiga. (It's just an example please feel free to read vice verse as well). Is that an ertiga customer taken away? I don't know. But one thing I'm confident about ... the mobilio makes a compelling case if priced right and it will do well because of what it offers despite the things it doesn't offer. The Diesel engine is superbly efficient and a petrol AT option of honda pedigree is to the best of my knowledge not available in this segment. The only other option will require you to go all the way to the full blown SUVs at 30 lakh. Time to now wait and watch the sales numbers over a period of time to put the conjecture to rest.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 08:48   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Just for information of all Ertiga lovers, Maruti is already worried. Maruti is offering 50000 discount on all Ertiga variants this month. So Ertiga lovers can go a kill.
Just a small out of topic query here. Is it 50k cash discount or freebies worth 50k ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks