Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 16:50   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Renault Duster to get extensive Facelift this year

Mod Note: Our Duster Facelift & AMT Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Rumour: Renault Duster to get extensive Facelift this year-renault-duster-front.png
The Renault Duster is on its way to get a distinctive facelift which is scheduled for introduction at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show in September. The bold price tag and the mediocre interior ergonomics have disappointed a few prospective buyers but the launch of the Duster has worked as a catalyst in developing the company’s prestige in India. Renault has been selling good numbers of the Duster in our country. Even in the international markets the Duster has earned several praises where the Dacia nameplate is being used.
The Renault Duster was first time launched in Europe in 2010 and the automaker has not introduced any update on it yet. As mentioned earlier, the facelifted model is under development and will be significantly revised from toe to head. The exterior design will be more appealing and significant changes will be brought down to the headlamps, tail lamps, alloys along with new sharp creases on the bumpers that will shed the blunt design of the current model. High resemblance between the facelifted model and the D-Cross Concept (pictured here) is expected.
The interior will be revised with a new dashboard, better ergonomics, correct placement of switches, multi-function navigation system on the center console and use of up-market fabric for the seats. The sound insulation which is a setback for Duster owners will also be improved as promised by the company. The power trains will produce the same power figures but the emission norms will be improved. It is very likely that Renault will launch the updated Duster in India with a CVT transmission along with introducing a 4X4 drive train.
Rumour: Renault Duster to get extensive Facelift this year-2012renaultdcross-1.jpg
The competition in the compact-SUV segment is booming in India. Ford has launched the much-awaited EcoSport with a surprising price tag while Nissan has confirmed the launch of Terrano and Mahindra is developing a tailored down version of the XUV500. The mid-life facelift for the Duster will be showcased in September, therefore we can expect the model in our market by the end of the year. The prices will be the same for the current variants and if the company launches the Duster with new drive trains (CVT and 4X4), the prices will higher accordingly.
SOURCE

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2016 at 15:30. Reason: Linking to report :)
amansanc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 16:54   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rumour: Renault Duster to get extensive Facelift this year

The Sooner they get the face lifted version into India the better for them, else they do stand a real chance of undoing all the good that the Duster had done for them thanks to the EcoSport pricing. They need a face lift and a smaller price differential to the EcoSport. It can cost more but must deliver more interms of features and specs. It needs an AT and a AWD soon, but also at an aggressive price point. Can they do it. The engines too don't do justice to it (except the 110 Diesel to some extent).
Old 27th June 2013, 17:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

To be frank this DCross starts with DC you know what i mean

Anyways, They were praying to god that Ford also becomes greedy like them and overprice ecosport, but they did not. So they will be left with no choice now to either justify the price tag(At least ABS should be mandatory in base version !!) or lower it by at least a lakh.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 17:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The facelift has already been caught testing in Spain

Rumour: Renault Duster to get extensive Facelift this year-spyshotsdacialaunchingfaceliftfordustersuv601867.jpg

Rumour: Renault Duster to get extensive Facelift this year-spyshotsdacialaunchingfaceliftfordustersuvmedium_5.jpg

Exterior;

The new Duster is expected to get fresh headlights, grille and bumpers at front with new tail lights and smaller changes to the rear bumper.

Interior;

Inside is expected to remain the same, the only additional feature the new Duster is likely to be fitted with is cruise control.

Expected Launch: Frankfurt Motor Show (September 2013)

Source: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sp...suv-60186.html

Last edited by karan561 : 27th June 2013 at 17:33.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 17:35   #5
BHPian

With the launch of the Ecosport, Renault has no choice but to up its game. However, increasing the price for the revised/updated Duster is going to be a problem. Already the Ecosport pricing has put a spanner in Renault's plans.

However, if the revised/updated Duster is to have a price increase, will it be more than the Terrano? Based on newspaper articles, the understanding is that Renault-Nissan has gone against their brand positioning strategy and would be pricing the Terrano above the current Duster. The revision may help them correct this.
Old 27th June 2013, 17:43   #6
SDP
Team-BHP Support

1. If Renault brings this to Indian shores in end-2013 or early-2014, existing Duster owners (with cars which are less than a year old) are going to be pissed off and would feel cheated.

2. At the same time, Renault can not postpone the India-launch of a facelift too long after the international launch.

3. With current prospective customers concerned about interior quality and ergonomics, and EcoSport breathing down their neck, Renault can not take wait-and-watch approach either.

Overall, Renault-India is in a soup.

Last edited by SDP : 27th June 2013 at 17:44.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 17:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
The mid-life facelift for the Duster will be showcased in September, therefore we can expect the model in our market by the end of the year. The prices will be the same for the current variants and if the company launches the Duster with new drive trains (CVT and 4X4), the prices will higher accordingly.
I am not sure -- I had an opportunity to speak to someone in Renault about the 4x4. They said that they had done some market research and apparently Indians don't see value in paying 1-2 L extra (which would be their pricing, over RXZ) for 4x4.

In other words, there are many people who talk the talk about 4x4, but their estimate of people who would walk the walk, i.e., volumes would not justify homologation and other regulatory costs.
Old 27th June 2013, 18:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
1. If Renault brings this to Indian shores in end-2013 or early-2014, existing Duster owners (with cars which are less than a year old) are going to be pissed off and would feel cheated.

2. At the same time, Renault can not postpone the India-launch of a facelift too long after the international launch.

3. With current prospective customers concerned about interior quality and ergonomics, and EcoSport breathing down their neck, Renault can not take wait-and-watch approach either.

Overall, Renault-India is in a soup.
I dont see much of an issue here nor the need for Renault to rush the launch of Duster facelift in India so soon.

Indian market has enough scope and demand for both the Duster and Ecosport (even at lower price) to co-exist without eating into each others sales.

A very recent example can be referd is what happened when the Honda Amaze was launched where in the Amaze did not affect Maruti Dzire's sales, and itself got great bookings & is doing well

Last edited by karan561 : 27th June 2013 at 18:23.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 18:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Top-end Duster OTR price at 13 L is more than Safari Storme's, I'm told. Is it right? If so, then I don't understand all this craze for Duster. Duster's 85bhp engine versus 138bhp of Storme. Has anyone visited Storme lately? It is vastly improved Safari. Huuuge improvement over Safari of yesteryears. I went to see one with a friend last week and was bowled over by improvement. Just see the thickness of doors and the thud with which they close.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 18:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

When Renault launches the facelift in Europe, they will have to launch it in UK too. Aren't the RHD Dusters made in India?
Old 27th June 2013, 18:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Top-end Duster OTR price at 13 L is more than Safari Storme's, I'm told. Is it right? If so, then I don't understand all this craze for Duster. Duster's 85bhp engine versus 138bhp of Storme. Has anyone visited Storme lately? It is vastly improved Safari. Huuuge improvement over Safari of yesteryears. I went to see one with a friend last week and was bowled over by improvement. Just see the thickness of doors and the thud with which they close.

Totally incorrect on the price part. Pls check the prices of both models online. Also pls note that the Duster top end is a 110bhp engine.

Both vehicles are from different categories. Price may not be the only driving factor otherwise Storme would have been a run away success
Old 27th June 2013, 18:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Price apart.. Few months ago there was even a comparison of Duster Vs XUV. Followers of Duster praising it for its "power" vs XUV etc.. Euphoria as always dies down and the market picks the best performer. Coming to your question.. I have driven the Storme myself. It is a very good vehicle.. Comparing with Duster is not right. They are from two different segments.
Old 27th June 2013, 19:06   #13
BHPian

top end duster is roughly about 12.3 L ex showroom in Bangalore. This is for the 110 PS Optional while the Storme for the 2X4 top end variant VLX is 13L. However, to be noted is the difference between Duster and Storme. If you are looking for something with a city drivability then Duster would be better. However, there is a school of thought which feels the 85PS is better in city. The Storme is not your easy to drive vehicle in city, but it does get the two wheelers and the autos scampering away from its path
I have driven both and i prefer Storme and this comes from the heart and not from the head
Old 27th June 2013, 20:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Agree, I feel it’s too early for a major facelift. But as Karan mentioned in his post (quoted below), I don’t think they really need to rush for a big upgrade due to the competition from Ecosport. I believe both cars can co-exist in harmony. IMO, more than the Duster, the Ecosport may actually impact high end hatchbacks and low end sedans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I dont see much of an issue here nor the need for Renault to rush the launch of Duster facelift in India so soon.
Indian market has enough scope and demand for both the Duster and Ecosport (even at lower price) to co-exist without eating into each others sales.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 20:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
..Ecosport may actually impact high end hatchbacks and low end sedans.
OT: The first casualty, colleague moved from Honda City to the EcoSport AT. We will see more of this in the coming days.

Relevant: However, with the D heart the City could do the same to the Duster, say if the City has 180 or 175 GC and D heart, how many will cross shop from the Duster? I would. The face lift is a must to keep the it relevant at all times. They do not need so much on the outside, its okay. The interiors is where they have their task cut out. Look at the EcoSport, take a clue.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks