Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 16:56   #61
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Hi Guys,

I visited the Ford workshop this morning at 10:00 am and was greeted by their service manager. He promptly took my car inside and the first thing they did was to check for any DTC codes. Luckily they did not find any, but as per standard instructions from Ford, India they had to replace and relocate the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Now comes the interesting part:

a. For customers who own the Trend and Ambiente Diesel variants, Ford needs to only remove the LHS headlight assembly in order to replace the GPCM module since one of the temperature sensor in line with the GPCM module hence it becomes easier to pull the wiring harness upwards to the new location.

b. For customers who own Titanium and Titanium (O) they have to remove both the head light assembly’s as well as the front bumper in order to access the GPCM module which is currently located exactly behind the radiator (at a lower level which attracts water). The bumper has to be removed because the temperature sensor is located in front (near the front side of the radiator) hence removal of the bumper is mandatory in order to ensure a comfortable relocation of the GPCM.

The new location of the GPCM module is just behind the LHS headlight assembly (a little deep). The process is neither intrusive nor extensive and in fact once the technician gets use to the procedure it can be done in approximately 15 minutes only. Mine took 35 minutes.

Ford has supplied the new GPCM module (FoMoCo - Made in Germany) along with a small flex conduit and two tie rods having a hook which gets affixed onto the body first and then holds the wiring harness. The old and new GPCM modules are from the same manufacturer.

Luckily, the wiring harness which currently exists was long enough to be pulled up to the new location of the GPCM module else it would have been terrifying if the entire wiring harness would have needed replacement. Luckily Ford was smart enough to design (co-incidentally) the harness such that the module could be easily located without stretching the wiring harness at all.

As you will see in the pictures below the older module had water marks and mud on it (mud is clearly visible which was left behind by muddy water). Now there is no chance for water to enter the new location (deep behind the LHS headlight assembly)!

Last, all customers who need this replacement may also receive a letter at your registered address requesting you to visit the workshop for this voluntary recall. You will get reimbursed for your Diesel expenses (at reasonable actuals), INR 2000/- accessories voucher and a free body wash as well.

All the technicians were well trained by Ford, India technical personnel well in advance and each one of them were made to perform this entire procedure on their demo cars too to ensure a smooth operation. This is a great move by Ford, India and kudos to them for the extremely professional quality of work on my Ford EcoSport!

I managed to chick the pictures with great difficulty!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall-img_20130713_104254.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall-img_20130713_104301.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall-img_20130713_104306.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall-img_20130713_104313.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall-img_20130713_104415.jpg  

Last edited by xuv2390 : 13th July 2013 at 17:15. Reason: Additional Images
xuv2390 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 18:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics fellow Ecosport owners, it helps clear some rough air out and also rumours about the car and this recall.

This recall has got quite famous, people i told about that i booked Ecosport told me that there has been a recall for this car recently. Dont know if its good or bad publicity but am fine with these recalls instead of just silently changing things during servicing.

VW have done it for clutch hose pipes and rusted seat rails, Fiat did it for air conditioner upgrades, Toyota, Honda etc all have done these so i dont find anything wrong with it.

Looks like the recall is being very professionally managed and end of day, its customer service that matters.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 23:32   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for the report. It is very well explained. Ford indeed seems to have gone about this quite professionally.

By the way when was your vehicle manufactured?
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 00:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Thank you for the report. It is very well explained. Ford indeed seems to have gone about this quite professionally.

By the way when was your vehicle manufactured?
My pleasure!

Mine is an EcoSport Titanium TDCi (Diesel) - Moondust Silver manufactured in May 2013 (11.05.2013)!
Old 14th July 2013, 11:44   #65
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
My pleasure!

Mine is an EcoSport Titanium TDCi (Diesel) - Moondust Silver manufactured in May 2013 (11.05.2013)!
Yep so it is one of those that was manufactured prior to launch and kept ready for dispatch once the car was launched. Hence you received a relatively early delivery.
Old 14th July 2013, 12:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

Pretty straight forward way of dealing things. Well done FORD.

From the pics, the relocation of the glow plug soungs logical too.

OFFTOPIC: I can see Peugeot and Citreon logos on the glow plug in the initial pics.

Last edited by F150 : 14th July 2013 at 12:09.
Old 14th July 2013, 15:15   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

OFFTOPIC: I can see Peugeot and Citreon logos on the glow plug in the initial pics.
@F150: The logo's seem to be interesting! I also presume this part must be very expensive since it is a German one!
Old 14th July 2013, 20:10   #68

Quote:

There are a lot of Engine components shared between Ford diesels and Peugeot diesels since these engines were jointly developed.

Refer "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine" for more clarity.
n.ananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 09:18   #69
Team-BHP Support

The old Glow plug module was made in Germany but the one that is replaced is Made in India? The part number differs and the plastic bag mentions made in India. I guess the Indian one might have better insulation against moisture.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 09:44   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The old Glow plug module was made in Germany but the one that is replaced is Made in India? The part number differs and the plastic bag mentions made in India. I guess the Indian one might have better insulation against moisture.
@Vid6639: The part number indeed seems to be different but the replaced part was also made in Germany and looked identical with FoMoCo printed on it.

I wonder why does the sticker on the plastic says Made in India!
Old 15th July 2013, 11:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

My car is at Talera Ford for "vehicle inspection" as they call it. I chose the pickup offered by Ford's representative who called by Chennai and set up the appointment with the dealer.

XUV2390 - You mentioned about a free car wash & a INR.2000/- gift voucher coming my way. Does it come from Ford directly by courier or do i need to ask for it from the dealer? I want to make sure i get it and put it to good use.
Old 15th July 2013, 21:00   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
My car is at Talera Ford for "vehicle inspection" as they call it. I chose the pickup offered by Ford's representative who called by Chennai and set up the appointment with the dealer.

XUV2390 - You mentioned about a free car wash & a INR.2000/- gift voucher coming my way. Does it come from Ford directly by courier or do i need to ask for it from the dealer? I want to make sure i get it and put it to good use.
@Nilesh5417: You have to speak to the workshop manager or service adviser who attended to your car at Talera Ford. In my case the dealer gave me a fuel coupon which I could redeem at a fuel station close to the service center. As far as the Rs. 2000 voucher is concerned, he told me that I will receive it through courier this week!

In case your dealer refuses to provide you these benefits then please write to Ford India!
Old 16th July 2013, 12:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Presumably FoMoCo means Ford Motor Company?
Old 16th July 2013, 19:08   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I visited the Ford workshop this morning at 10:00 am and was greeted by their service manager. He promptly took my car inside and the first thing they did was to check for any DTC codes. Luckily they did not find any, but as per standard instructions from Ford, India they had to replace and relocate the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Now comes the interesting part:

a. For customers who own the Trend and Ambiente Diesel variants, Ford needs to only remove the LHS headlight assembly in order to replace the GPCM module since one of the temperature sensor in line with the GPCM module hence it becomes easier to pull the wiring harness upwards to the new location.

b. For customers who own Titanium and Titanium (O) they have to remove both the head light assembly's as well as the front bumper in order to access the GPCM module which is currently located exactly behind the radiator (at a lower level which attracts water). The bumper has to be removed because the temperature sensor is located in front (near the front side of the radiator) hence removal of the bumper is mandatory in order to ensure a comfortable relocation of the GPCM.

The new location of the GPCM module is just behind the LHS headlight assembly (a little deep). The process is neither intrusive nor extensive and in fact once the technician gets use to the procedure it can be done in approximately 15 minutes only. Mine took 35 minutes.

Ford has supplied the new GPCM module (FoMoCo - Made in Germany) along with a small flex conduit and two tie rods having a hook which gets affixed onto the body first and then holds the wiring harness. The old and new GPCM modules are from the same manufacturer.

Luckily, the wiring harness which currently exists was long enough to be pulled up to the new location of the GPCM module else it would have been terrifying if the entire wiring harness would have needed replacement. Luckily Ford was smart enough to design (co-incidentally) the harness such that the module could be easily located without stretching the wiring harness at all.

As you will see in the pictures below the older module had water marks and mud on it (mud is clearly visible which was left behind by muddy water). Now there is no chance for water to enter the new location (deep behind the LHS headlight assembly)!

Last, all customers who need this replacement may also receive a letter at your registered address requesting you to visit the workshop for this voluntary recall. You will get reimbursed for your Diesel expenses (at reasonable actuals), INR 2000/- accessories voucher and a free body wash as well.

All the technicians were well trained by Ford, India technical personnel well in advance and each one of them were made to perform this entire procedure on their demo cars too to ensure a smooth operation. This is a great move by Ford, India and kudos to them for the extremely professional quality of work on my Ford EcoSport!

I managed to chick the pictures with great difficulty!
Malfunctioning glow plugs affect the cold start emissions. Probably that's the reason for recall ...not to end up like a tavera!
Old 17th July 2013, 21:45   #75
BANNED

Re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I'm yet to see even one Ecosport on the roads and a recall already!

But this is honest on Ford's part to individually call up customers and request them to arrange for the replacement, which is unlike most manufacturers that leave it upon the customers to research and call the dealer themselves.
Sorry, hellmet, I got a call from TATA for the free replacement of the wiring harness and the starter motor assemblies, to be done at my place and time ! This, for a car costing 2.1 L on road !

Nothing great on the part of Ford for that "honest' tag there !
Quote:
Hi Guys,

In fact I am happy about the honesty and clarity that Ford India is sharing. I am impressed, unlike Mahindra (XUV5OO) where they lied to customers for a very long lime!

Last, I asked him what do I get for all this trouble? He said, "A free car wash"
Pl see my remark above, nothing great about the call and the recall. I get a free wash each time, every time I go to the service station (TATA - Autolinks) for a nano costing Rs 2.1 L OTR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
A recall with a boost, suddenly someone in Ford realised Indian roads have unnatural potholes, flooding during rains, what did they test at their test track in Chennai all these days before launching the vehicle it looks Indians are being taken for granted.
They should have chosen Delhi or Mumbai for the test tracks - Chennai is NO GOOD when it comes to the rains and flooding !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Ford has been harping on about the 200mm ground clearance and the 550mm water wading capability and the first recall is to fix a problem that might occur because of this very feature? Have they themselves tested the vehicle submerged in 550mm of water?
I bet they have not ! This actually exposes the stark differences between the design and mktg departments in Indian corporates - I bet the mktg giuys went gung-ho about the GC and WW (Water Wade) and what not "features" , and I'm sure someone, somewhere must have got stuck with this problem, which is what Ford is covering up with the honest "calls" and "free washes" !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks