Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

Hi Guys,

I took delivery of my Ford EcoSport Titanium TDCi (Diesel) on 07th July, 2013.

Few minutes ago, I received a call from Ford India, Chennai office from a gentleman congratulating me for the purchase! He sounded quite cheerful and composed throughout until he gave me a little shock! He informed me that my EcoSport has been recalled on an immediate basis because the Glow plug control module which is located below the left rear door may face some moisture related concerns hence it needs to be re-located to a higher level.

What I understand in detail is the following:

1. European cars have this module located under the body which poses a concern in India to due the pot holes and high moisture content, maybe if someone really tires to test the 550m water wading capability then it may cause some serious concerns.

2. They will replace and re-locate the entire module to a different location which they claim is a non-intrusive and simple process which will complete in 3 hours time.

3. I have fixed an appointment for 9:30 AM on Saturday and I will update all of you once I understand this even better but as of now I do not think this is a serious concern at all.

In fact I am happy about the honesty and clarity that Ford India is sharing. I am impressed, unlike Mahindra (XUV5OO) where they lied to customers for a very long lime!

Last, I asked him what do I get for all this trouble? He said, "A free car wash"
xuv2390 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 13:56   #2
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

That's a quick realization from Ford. Please do post before and after pic of this 'relocation'.
Old 11th July 2013, 13:57   #3
BHPian

I'm yet to see even one Ecosport on the roads and a recall already!

But this is honest on Ford's part to individually call up customers and request them to arrange for the replacement, which is unlike most manufacturers that leave it upon the customers to research and call the dealer themselves.
Old 11th July 2013, 13:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Let us look on the bright side.

Ford should contact the Guiness World Record people. May be they can register this as the world fastest product recall.
julupani is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

If I understand the post right, this is a specific design flaw in the Ecosport, and quite a basic one at that. Correct? If yes, then how did it not come up during pre-release testing which is conducted over weeks and months?

Alternatively, if this is specific to your car, how is it even explained, and why is it different from other models of the car? Sounds quite bizarre to me.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 11th July 2013 at 14:08.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 14:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

While appreciating the recall , what was Ford doing all these months when they were creating all hype on the Ecosport.
I would not be surprised if many more recalls are there for the Ecosport!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 14:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

A recall with a boost, suddenly someone in Ford realised Indian roads have unnatural potholes, flooding during rains, what did they test at their test track in Chennai all these days before launching the vehicle it looks Indians are being taken for granted.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:25   #8
BHPian

Ford has been harping on about the 200mm ground clearance and the 550mm water wading capability and the first recall is to fix a problem that might occur because of this very feature? Have they themselves tested the vehicle submerged in 550mm of water?
Old 11th July 2013, 14:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
Hi Guys,

I took delivery of my Ford EcoSport Titanium TDCi (Diesel) on 07th July, 2013.

Few minutes ago, I received a call from Ford India, Chennai office from a gentleman congratulating me for the purchase! He sounded quite cheerful and composed throughout until he gave me a little shock! He informed me that my EcoSport has been recalled on an immediate basis because the Glow plug control module which is located below the left rear door may face some moisture related concerns hence it needs to be re-located to a higher level.

A question- Why would a Glow plug control module be located below the left rear door?
This is normally used to ignite the diesel right? Correct me if I am wrong but this should be in the bonnet somewhere?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th July 2013 at 14:41. Reason: fixed quotes
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 14:29   #10
BHPian

Its indeed never advice to buy the Car in its Honeymoon period until and unless you have money which is overflowing from your pocket.

We have all seen numerous problems Indica V1, XUV 500, Amaze during initial days of launch.

Amit
Old 11th July 2013, 14:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Its good that Ford was able to find this and decided to fix this. However, I don't agree with the Indian context for this. This can happen anywhere in the world.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Let us look on the bright side.

Ford should contact the Guiness World Record people. May be they can register this as the world fastest product recall.
I am sure several manufacturers may have just ignored concerns in the past without informing customers. In fact we should be happy about their open, honest and 1 to 1 approach! Getting a call from their Chennai office and explaining the issue in detail is great! Hats off to the honesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
If I understand the post right, this is a specific design flaw in the Ecosport, and quite a basic one at that. Correct? If yes, then how did it not come up during pre-release testing which is conducted over weeks and months?

Alternatively, if this is specific to your car, how is it even explained, and why is it different from other models of the car? Sounds quite bizarre to me.
This is an issue with the glow plug module, this means that the issue is only with Diesel cars and not Petrol cars since they do not have a glow plug to heat the engine prior to kick off. Hence as I understand this issue is with all diesel cars delivered until this very date only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
A recall with a boost, suddenly someone in Ford realised Indian roads have unnatural potholes, flooding during rains, what did they test at their test track in Chennai all these days before launching the vehicle it looks Indians are being taken for granted.
This should not be a big concern at all! They claim that since the conditions are different in the European/American versions this part needs to be relocated to a safer place just to avoid any issues. This is a preventive measure hence we should not hype it too much and instead appreciate the honestly so next time such an issue occurs they will honestly let us know again instead of hiding it for the next service visit!

At most they should should work out some small compensation for the very few owners who have taken delivery. e.g. - A free accessory or free oil change Let us see if they offer something to the limited diesel customers who have taken delivery like me!

Last edited by xuv2390 : 11th July 2013 at 14:41. Reason: Spelling
xuv2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 15:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post

A question- Why would a Glow plug control module be located below the left rear door?
This is normally used to ignite the diesel right? Correct me if I am wrong but this should be in the bonnet somewhere?
Glowplugs are used to preheat the cylinddr and pistons before ignition for a trouble free start in winters. By this definition, glowplugs should be near the engine, and not the rear door.
I may be wrong though.
ahmad.007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 15:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

As has been reflected in the views of many, this is very responsible of Ford to issue a recall before it becomes a niggle for everyone. Unlike Mahindra who waits to replace parts of only those customers who complain. This goes a long way to show the credibility of the American Blue Oval and their customer service.
Way to go Ford
dhanushmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 15:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

EcoSport Diesel Recall: Team-BHP news link inside

The Glow Plug Control Module is an electronic circuit that controls the working of the glow plug. So, it needn't necessarily be placed near the engine.

Here's an overview-> http://www.team-bhp.com/news/ford-ec...ia-edit-inside

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th July 2013 at 12:00. Reason: Updating link
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks