Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 07:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: General Motors India recalls 1.14 lakh units of the Tavera

GM could face severe consequence -GM workers fudged Tavera test engines to meet emission norms.

Will customers trust this brand now?

General Motors India recalls 1.14 lakh units of the Tavera-gmworkersfudgedtaveratestenginestomeetemissionnorms.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th July 2013 at 07:44.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 07:40   #17
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

GM should be heavily penalized with exemplary punishment for manipulating emission standards of their vehicles. Imagine swapping compliant engines for inspections only.

Check this link below
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21349758.cms

Such a big fraud will surely need the blessing of the top management. I wonder if Karl Slym will take moral responsibility for such a major lapse. even though he has moved to Tata.

Cheers

KPS
Old 26th July 2013, 08:04   #18
BHPian

This is becoming a big issue. Livemint has reported that 20 GM employees including 4 senior level managers are sacked.

GM should off course should be penalized heavily. These MNCs make a lot of noise about unethical business practices in India and policy paralysis and what not.

Would they bother cleaning their own homes before teaching the rest of the world about ethics?
Old 26th July 2013, 08:45   #19
Team-BHP Support

What I do not understand is they have a huge R&D validation base in Bangalore which could have ensured that the engines conform.

If it is a faulty supplier, then they better do a comprehensive cause analysis and sue the pants of the supplier.

You can imagine the impact on the brand! This + average performers + poor resale

Enough said!
Old 26th July 2013, 09:29   #20
BHPian

How did these 1lakh Taveras, 'escape' the pollution check across the country, for more than 8 years? If the govt is so serious about this, then they should relook at the pollution check mandate in the country.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 09:56   #21
BHPian

I understand- theoretically that the test engines were fudged to meet the emission parameters OR the test engine had parts (from an outside supplier) which let the engine meet the emission parameters. If the latter is proved, fine- go ahead and sue the pants of the supplier and also your own QC team. But i fail to understand, if it was not the latter, what reason could they possibly have to fudge a test engine and not use the same set up on the production engine. Its not like they cheated on the test. They already cleared the test- so why change the engine set up and do something which would not meet the emission criteria? In a nutshell- what could GM gain (moneytary or otherwise) out of such practice?
Old 26th July 2013, 09:59   #22
BHPian

There is no way this could have been done without Senior management complicity. GM senior management must be held accountable for this. GM is already down in the dumps - Sail compact and hatchback issues - someone mentioning about a 'voluntary" recall of Cruze for Steering issues etc.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
How did these 1lakh Taveras, 'escape' the pollution check across the country, for more than 8 years? If the govt is so serious about this, then they should relook at the pollution check mandate in the country.
It is simple. I went for PUC for my Swift on Monday to a Petrol pump in Gurgaon. The operator asked for my last PUC and printed a new one without even checking the car. I was shocked by his actions but decided to move on and got another PUC done at another station in Delhi.

I agree, government must re-look the process.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
... GM senior management must be held accountable for this. ...
Even Mr.Sym should be accountable, though he has moved to competition.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:44   #25
BANNED

By the looks of it the test data was fudged, so they deserve what they get. Was is Government Motors at that time?
Old 26th July 2013, 10:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Govt set to probe manufacturing practices of auto companies!

Auto manufacturers are required to get their vehicles checked every year with notified semi-government agencies like ARAI and iCAT to meet the quality criteria under these mandated COP requirements.
General Motors India recalls 1.14 lakh units of the Tavera-gmstaverarecallgovtsettoprobemanufacturingpracticesofautocompanies.jpg

The testing agency picks up three vehicles from our factory to check them for their authenticity with the COP norms and any inconsistencies lead to audit of factories or other necessary changes in manufacturing and even recalls of the vehicles, if required.
Tavera had faulted on emission norm requirements during the COP testing that forced the government to halt their production.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21350983.cms
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 11:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

To me this appears to be a case of
1. Rivalary (http://porters-5-forces.blogspot.in/...-industry.html)

2. Politics. Someone is not getting enough money. Hence make life miserable for others.

If car is running fine for 8 years, I would not want it to be touched at all.

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th July 2013 at 11:09.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 11:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Sensible post. If ARAI does these post-launch routine tests regularly, were they sleeping for the last 7+ years? Wonder who tipped off or got irate because of a bribe denial.

And this isn't a voluntary re-call from Chevrolet. And the discrepancies identified amounts to 'cheating'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
To me this appears to be a case of
1. Rivalary (http://porters-5-forces.blogspot.in/...-industry.html)

2. Politics. Someone is not getting enough money. Hence make life miserable for others.

If car is running fine for 8 years, I would not want it to be touched at all.
Thanks for the article, that was a nice read. And I also had thought the expose of an 8 year old issue could have something to do with a political angle as well.

Last edited by k_ajay : 26th July 2013 at 11:54. Reason: Adding another response.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:53   #29
BHPian

Well this is turning out to be a nightmare for General Motors which is already struggling to put nos on the chart with the existing line of products

All employees involved in this should be made accountable.

I am surprised that such things occurred even after the existence of quality and standards team at multiple checkpoints.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Actually I am surprised that no other manufacturer has done this in India yet!
I thought rules & regulations in India were just for harassment of the common man and is not applicable to the large corporate houses.

Of course every such deed has the full cooperation from someone in the govt.
Always.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks