Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:24   #916
Team-BHP Support

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Add another 50mm of wheelbase, and it would have equalled the flagship Kizashi!

Ciaz is 50mm longer than the City, 35mm wider, while being 10mm shorter. Contributes to the more proportionate sleek stance of the similar rear end design.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-390147.aspx
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:24   #917
BHPian

The car looks lovely. I haven't seen very good pics yet but it does seem pretty good looking.
The key reason IMO behind the SX4's failure is it's horrible name. SX4? What does that even mean?
I don't know what Ciaz means either, but at least it sounds like a word.
The car does seem pretty long too, I hope it is rather than it having poor headroom.

The reported specs are disappointing. 91-92 bhp for the petrol and 88 for the diesel.
Poor.
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:32   #918
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
SX4? What does that even mean?
(S)sport (X)crossover (4)4 seasons AWD.

Name was more relevant for the international AWD hatch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer View Post
I don't know what Ciaz means either, but at least it sounds like a word.
I hope Maruti has a better explanation - but for now - feel free to laugh till your stomach hurts.

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-untitled1.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:34   #919
Team-BHP Support

The head unit in the photos looks really bad. It looks like someone stuck a cheap Android tablet to the dashboard. The text for the volume buttons has portrait orientation but the "tablet" screen is landscape.

In some photos the area around the power window switches has some nice faux wood whereas others have a beige plastic that looks cheap.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:41   #920
BHPian

This Ciaz on paper looks underpowered.

Its got the longest body, definitely it will run out of steam on the highway. Also driving on inclines will be a problem, especially when the vehicle is loaded.

Maruti wants to play safe.

They want a car which will give the best fuel efficiency , and keep price low.

I think after a few months, they may launch another variant with the 1.6 diesel. If rumours are to be believed, the S-cross is coming with the 1.6 DDis.So chances are they may just plonk a few into this as well.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 2nd September 2014 at 00:42.
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:46   #921
BHPian

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409598927.263134.jpg

This picture clipping is from AUTOCAR INDIA Magazine (September 2014 edition)
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:47   #922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
I think after a few months, they may launch another variant with the 1.6 diesel.
If this news on the FIAT 1.5 diesel comes true, I think they might share the engine with Maruti as well to offset their localisation costs - Similar to the earlier 1 lakh engines/year agreement they have with MSIL for 1.3 diesels.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...el-2016-a.html

Sorry for the double posts, editing time over!

Everyone has been repeating the point that 1.3 MJD Ciaz is underpowered, but by just how much? I thought I'd do a spec comparison of my own.

And here are the results -

1. In power to weight ratio - the only car that deserves to call the others underpowered is the Hyundai Verna.

2. In torque to weight ratio - Hyundai Verna and VW Vento share the honours, while others have only little to differentiate between them.

3. Ciaz is a big improvement over the SX4 (worst of both charts). By any scale- I think Ciaz is at par for the segment, but definitely better engine options would have been welcome!

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-untitled1.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd September 2014 at 07:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 02:47   #923
BHPian

Mid october launch. The information keeps pouring in. Cant wait to find out the real world performance and handling.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-390150.aspx/0

Last edited by ishaanranderia : 2nd September 2014 at 02:49.
Old 2nd September 2014, 07:56   #924
Senior - BHPian

The car looks good. The long wheelbase and the proportions work really well. Those 16" alloys look good as well.

I didn't like the interiors though, its a beige fest and the ICE unit and the ACC module looks plain jane and doesn't have the wow factor. The chrome inserts on the steering wheel looks odd as well. The seats look good though. Nice bolstering and shaped well.

The other thing that concerns me is the weight, the specs it looks as if Ciaz will be a very light car for its huge proportions. And for all the talk about a premium offering, I think MSIL will undercut the City for sure.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:08   #925
Senior - BHPian

Why did the SX4 fail for Suzuki? Heck they could not sell the car even with a diesel. I don't think it was over priced. It had everything going for it. Roomy interiors, massive boot, solid build and good interior quality for a Suzuki, well balanced chassis, good equipment levels and possibly the first sedan from the segment to sport 16" wheels. Ingress, egress is still the best on a sedan. After Ford's Duratec 1.6l, I can't think of a more alive and kicking NA motor. Though a little watered down in VTVT form, its still a good engine.

I like the Ciaz. I think its a lot more pleasing to the eye than the car it is replacing. Pictures suggest a ordinary looking interior. Love the alloys. Lots of room at the back. Sure looks like a comfortable cruiser. Boring engines for sure. Tail light design getting a little too common. Again, when you have the 1.6l engine sitting with you, what is stopping you from offering the engine as an option. If Hyundai can do it, so can Suzuki. I hope the auto box is not a 4 speeder. I sure want to see if this cars sets the ball rolling for Suzuki. Pulling away customers from Honda, Hyundai and even VW is not easy.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd September 2014 at 09:09.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:11   #926
BHPian

Autocar update :

26+kmpl for Diesel
20 kmpl for Petrol

That makes Ciaz diesel to be the most fuel efficient car in the country!!
I wonder how they manage to achieve this feat defeating the iDtec engines in terms of ARAI figures

On the flip side Ciaz Petrol churns only 91 bhp. Thats really disappointing
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:19   #927
Senior - BHPian

In mature markets, car sizes keep increasing. Guess Maruti has started this in India and hopefully others will continue with it. This segment size wise makes these most appropriate for our conditions and hopefully we will see variants without compromise in power and features.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:25   #928
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam reports that Ciaz will be launched sometime in October. They also have some other additional information on the 'Production' model here.

Why are all the manufacturers being so conservative in offering some good peformance/fun to drive cars ? I know Maruti cars are light and offer some of the best driving dynamics, but 90 PS for a 2014 Sedan ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

2. In torque to weight ratio - Hyundai Verna and VW Vento share the honours, while others have only little to differentiate between them.
- Hey CrAzY dRiVeR I thought that PTW ratio of the Vento TDI was lower than the GT TDI, around 205.

Vento TDI Torque - 250 NM
Kerb Weight - 1220 kgs.
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:32   #929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Why did the SX4 fail for Suzuki?
There are many reasons.

Moderator Vidyut had explained in one of the earlier pages that the M16 was one of the primary reasons for the failure of the SX4. There were early rumours of low FE that ruined customer confidence. The diesel came in too late for a revival of the SX4 brand.

But, IMO - the biggest reason for the failure of SX4 is the timing of the product launch. It was launched against the 2nd generation Honda City running its final year and Maruti had done all the hard work to beat it fair and square. And it did just that, in the initial few months after launch. However, MSIL was totally unprepared for the drastic change Honda introduced with the 3rd generation City, just few months down the line. The impact on sales was immediate - something which the SX4 never recovered from. Also - by the time the diesel hit the market - the car had another formidable opponent in the beautiful Hyundai Verna.

That said, Ciaz couldnt have been launched at a better time. City is just in & Verna will be around for another year or two. The Volkswagen is also not getting any major updates anytime soon. If the car is able to stand tall among these marques now, it should be able to build an initial momentum and sustain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
- Hey CrAzY dRiVeR I thought that PTW ratio of the Vento TDI was lower than the GT TDI, around 205.

Vento TDI Torque - 250 NM
Kerb Weight - 1220 kgs.
My mistake. It should have been 210 Nm/ton. Got the figures from the new City review for ease of compiling data.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd September 2014 at 09:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:00   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Tail lamp is looking similar to what it is in VW and Audi cars. Too early to comment though. Mods, Can you get us a pic when it glows
Didnt find anything for the Indian version. But here it is from the concept. Some design elements have been changed to accommodate the larger reverse lamps in the Indian Ciaz, but the overall look may be similar

Source : Motorbeam and IAB
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-72efd1f58e662246.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-1024x682xmaruticiazconcept.jpg.pagespeed.ic.92sz6axpbs.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks