Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:59   #961
pkb

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The car is a looker. Clean understated and well proportioned. Looks better than the Honda City especially the front and side profile. The rear is a photocopy almost.
+1. The front and the side profiles have elegant curves. the rear lets it down though.
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:32   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I was ready to accept sub 12 second 0-100 timing from the petrol and sub 13 second 0-100 times from the diesel BUT 11.3 seconds from the diesel? :o Anyone care to share the source of this claim, cause if true, this is certainly the best all rounder out there (also glad to hear that it is planted and feels like a big sedan on highways which is an indication to its dynamic capabilities)

Those who are asking about the antenna, I think Prince has explained correctly; the antenna is printed on the rear glass in one single vertical line running down the middle of the horizontal de-fogger lines. Even, I found the concept crazy and only knew of it because of the Kizashi. Makes for a sleek no nonsense design and an easy way to spot ricers However, people have reported issues with reception after installing some forms of tint film so do be careful to buy and install any form of sun film from a reputable source.

These times come from Sirish Chandran's review on thrill of driving.
http://thrillofdriving.com/review/dr...ti-suzuki-ciaz
Silverfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 18:48   #963
Distinguished - BHPian

Something less than 12 seconds for the 100? That too by the diesel? Looks good Guess the extra torque provided by the diesel works here compared to the petrol, though power output of either engine is nearly the same.
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:13   #964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is it only me or others feel that the Ciaz resembles the Kizashi when viewed from the sides?!

Here is a picture for reference:

Attachment 1282127

A small comparison between the Ciaz and its competitors:

Attachment 1282128

Anurag.
Of course the Ciaz is a reworked Kizashi design. It is very evident.

I don't think Maruti is investing in R&D. How difficult is it for them to launch engine specced similar to the 1.2 TSi. ? Petrol engine is purely boring. Diesel engine at least has the scope for remap and reach 110 PS.
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:37   #965
BHPian

From the Sirish Chandran Review:
"The weight of the body in white has gone down by 56kg to 307kg despite the Ciaz being larger in every direction compared to the SX4"

Some wise person said: "Light, Strong and cheap - choose any two"

Hope Maruti is able to strike the right compromise between Strong (structural safety) and Cheap (affordability)
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:56   #966
BHPian

Now almost all the reviews are up and the jury is out, surprisingly ACI hasnt put their's up yet.

All-in-all, the game now depends on pricing. If Maruti prices it a little below than the City, they surely have a winner here.
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:02   #967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Of course the Ciaz is a reworked Kizashi design. It is very evident.

I don't think Maruti is investing in R&D. How difficult is it for them to launch engine specced similar to the 1.2 TSi. ? Petrol engine is purely boring. Diesel engine at least has the scope for remap and reach 110 PS.
Turbo charged petrol engines by Suzuki are in the process of development. With an intercooler seen in the latest spyshot- we can confirm that this is not so far off!

Rumours suggest 1L and 1.2L turbopetrols.
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:11   #968
Senior - BHPian

Baleno was 975 kg with 91 bhp and 13.4 kgm of torque, equalling 93.3 bhp/ton power to weight ratio and 13.74 kgm/ton torque to weight ratio.
Ciaz is 1010 kg, 92 bhp and 13.25 kgm of torque concluding 91.08 bhp/ton power to weight ratio and 13.11 kgm/ton torque to weight ratio.
So the figure of 11.7 sec to 0-100 does not seem out of place. Coupled with better FE, this could be a winner. What matters is real world tuning and driveability.
Diesel is 1105 kgm 90 bhp and 20.39 kgm torque, levelling to 81.4 bhp/ton power to weight ratio and 18.45 kgm/ton torque to weight ratio.
The figure of 11.3 sec for 0-100 again, does not seem out place.

While the above numbers might not be segment leading, the real world performance, mainly the diesel on highways would be nice to see. Ertiga is very nice on highways with the diesel, never feels short on power. Correct gear to manage the lag results into more than brisk performance.

Pricing will now be the key. I called up amar motors and asked for price, he was like starting Rs. 7.75 Lakh till Rs. 10 lakh. I doubt if these numbers are real. But then, there has to be some differentiation between Dzire and Ciaz also.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:34   #969
BHPian

This time Maruti has got a winner on its hands. In the looks department, it is in the same league as Verna and City. It may not be a head turner as it looks familiar due to some resemblance / characteristics of City and Verna.

I owned Baleno for 4 years, this could be somewhat better replacement for the fame Baleno had among car enthusiasts.

It is being launched at a time when market is being flooded with under 4 meters incomplete looking cars, may be people welcome this fresh proportionate offer from Maruti.

With Maruti Suzuki badge, premium looks and fuel efficiency, it would be a sure success.

Last edited by hummer : 2nd September 2014 at 20:50. Reason: Formatting
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:56   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I think the FE figures are a little boasted. Because a 1.2L Petrol engine in Swift is with ARAI figures of around 18KMPL. How come this 1.4L engine deliver 20KMPL in a bigger car? Same is the case for Diesel model.

Hope they won't - at a later stage - be asked to pay a penalty to the customers for the boasted FE figures like in the case of Hyundai USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I don't think we will get anywhere close to 26kmpl in real world conditions but i'm starting to wonder if ARAI is paid a bribe to show over-inflated fuel efficiency figures! Or maybe their testing parameters need a complete overhaul.
This thought came to my mind when recently the Censor Board Chief was arrested for taking a bribe to clear films.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I don't think that's the case. City I-DTEC ARAI figure is 26kmpl and I have gotten 24kmpl on highway with AC. Without AC and sedate driving I could have achieved more than 26kmpl so don't think ARAI is taking bribes for giving such figures. In City driving even if it gives 16-17kmpl that's enough.
The moment I read the ARAI FE figure, I had the exact same thought, How is it possible to improve by almost 6 KMPL over the Ertiga from the same engine? Even if you consider lighter weight, more aerodynamic shape and some re-tuning, will it really result in a 6 KMPL improvement?

Sometimes I think that manufacturers have found "cheat codes" to get bigger numbers from the ARAI (and I won't be surprised if the codes = bribes). Another recent example of an FE improvement from the same engine is the refreshed Fiesta diesel. It went up from 23.5 to 25.1.

A little OT, but here are the ARAI figures for the national engine - Here are some numbers I looked up on the internet
  • Maruti Suzuki Swift - 22.9 KMPL
  • Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire - 23.4 KMPL
  • Maruti Suzuki Ertiga - 20.77 KMPL
  • Tata Manza - 21.2 KMPL
  • Tata Vista D90 - 21.12 KMPL
  • Tata Zest - 23 KMPL

With the exception of the Ertiga, every newer car with the same engine (irrespective of it having FGT or VGT) has its FE going up (DZire is rated above swift??). I bet, when maruti launches the refreshed Ertiga, the FE might come pretty close to Mobilio's. Any thoughts?
KedarB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:37   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Hope Maruti is able to strike the right compromise between Strong (structural safety) and Cheap (affordability)
The fact that SX4 here was a sedan built on top of a crossover makes Maruti' task easier. That said, I am also baffled at the very low weight of Ciaz given the proportions, and really hope its clever engineering and not at the cost of build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
Any thoughts?
Good analysis there. If I am not mistaken, ARAI arrives at the FE figures by looking at a lot of parameters from each vehicle tested and its calculated in a lab. This what I read from an ACI magazine many years back and I don't know how much of it has changed now.

Looking at the various figures and the body type of vehicles tested from your post, maybe there is a good weight given to parameters such as drag coefficient and the weight of the vehicle.

Ex: a sedan is more slippery than a hatch. That's the reason why DZire has a marginally better figure than the Swift. And usage of air deflectors or spoilers can reduce drag a lot on highways. Case in point is the efficiency gain for the 2014 Fiesta.

Simply put, manufacturers may now have more grip on the parameters than before to push up this figure as high as possible with each new launch. Its not cheating, its simply being smarter. ARAI needs to move the posts now.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:56   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The fact that SX4 here was a sedan built on top of a crossover makes Maruti' task easier. That said, I am also baffled at the very low weight of Ciaz given the proportions, and really hope its clever engineering and not at the cost of build quality.

Good analysis there. If I am not mistaken, ARAI arrives at the FE figures by looking at a lot of parameters from each vehicle tested and its calculated in a lab. This what I read from an ACI magazine many years back and I don't know how much of it has changed now.

Looking at the various figures and the body type of vehicles tested from your post, maybe there is a good weight given to parameters such as drag coefficient and the weight of the vehicle.

Ex: a sedan is more slippery than a hatch. That's the reason why DZire has a marginally better figure than the Swift. And usage of air deflectors or spoilers can reduce drag a lot on highways. Case in point is the efficiency gain for the 2014 Fiesta.

Simply put, manufacturers may now have more grip on the parameters than before to push up this figure as high as possible with each new launch. Its not cheating, its simply being smarter. ARAI needs to move the posts now.
Ya that makes sense, thanks for your comments. But if this is the case (If aerodynamic improvements are resulting in such a big jump), ARAI should seriously consider revising their algorithm!

Anyways, back to Ciaz, I think it really looks good, proportionate and just right and not over-styled in anyway.

Also, the 0-100 time figure quoted in some of the posts above looks believable to me. The engine is pretty high revving and the mid-range has a strong punch. Probably the reason why the Ertiga is also faster than Mobilio in the 0-100 run (source ACI mag) in-spite of a smaller engine and less horses.
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:00   #973
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Seriously impressed with the performance figures for the diesel. Although not class leading, still I dont think too many people will complain. Hats off to maruti for tuning the national engine to perfection. Now just plonk that VGT into the swift and take the fight on to the GT twins!!
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:31   #974
BHPian

Autocar review is up:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-390162.aspx

All the reviewers have sung praise on the diesel version. Will be booking a Glistening Grey ZDI+ tomorrow!
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:49   #975
Senior - BHPian

The Corolla suddenly looks way way way overpriced in its diesel manual avatar.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks