Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 16:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Mahindra's vehicles are mechanically robust and will rarely suffer from a major breakdown......... Between the Tata Safari / Storme and the XUV 5OO, I'd highly suggest sticking to the XUV 5OO in W6 trim if you are looking for supreme reliability.
Have you not read member 4X4addict's clear description on why Mahindra SUVs can be unreliable due to their faulty clutch mechanism?

And Mahindra SUVs maybe better than XYZ in terms of reliability, but mentioning supreme reliability and Mahindra in the same breath....'yeh baat kuch hazam nahin hui!'
Old 6th November 2013, 16:57   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Have you not read member 4X4addict's clear description on why Mahindra SUVs can be unreliable due to their faulty clutch mechanism?
Nope, I haven't checked it just yet. I have recently heard of clutches going kaput on the XUV5OO though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
And Mahindra SUVs maybe better than XYZ in terms of reliability, but mentioning supreme reliability and Mahindra in the same breath....'yeh baat kuch hazam nahin hui!'
I do not own an XUV5OO, or any Mahindra vehicle at this point which leaves out any chance of being biased here.
I have however had over 200,000 reliable, break down free kilometers between the Scorpios without a mechanical breakdown, unexpected part failure, etc which is why I am in all praise for Mahindra's mechanical reliability.
Old 7th November 2013, 00:46   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Mahindra's vehicles are mechanically robust and will rarely suffer from a major breakdown whereas their electrical components (mostly add ons) are the weak link. Between the Tata Safari / Storme and the XUV 5OO, I'd highly suggest sticking to the XUV 5OO in W6 trim if you are looking for supreme reliability.
This statement would have made sense a couple of years ago, but now Mahindra has dropped their standards and Tata's are making an effort to improve theirs. At this point, I think the odds of problems are the same for both. Maybe Mahindra is slightly better that Tata.

My travails can be seen here. It is not just me, many mhawk owners have faced this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...reak-down.html
Old 7th November 2013, 09:32   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This statement would have made sense a couple of years ago, but now Mahindra has dropped their standards and Tata's are making an effort to improve theirs. At this point, I think the odds of problems are the same for both. Maybe Mahindra is slightly better that Tata...
I disagree. From whatever I have read thru the forum (I neither own TATA nor Mahindra), Mahindra is definitely leaps ahead of TATA.

And what makes me a fan of Mahindra over TATA is the way in which M&M tried to resolve the issues for the customers and the preferential treatment they provide. Trust me, this attitude has win them a potential customer in me, NOT withstanding the issues.
Old 7th November 2013, 10:34   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I disagree. From whatever I have read thru the forum (I neither own TATA nor Mahindra), Mahindra is definitely leaps ahead of TATA.

And what makes me a fan of Mahindra over TATA is the way in which M&M tried to resolve the issues for the customers and the preferential treatment they provide. Trust me, this attitude has win them a potential customer in me, NOT withstanding the issues.
You are free to disagree. The advantage I have is that since I am not a fan of either company. I am able to make a unclouded/unbiased judgement. But, but I do agree with you that Mahindra is definitely a much more pro-active company. They move to address problems quickly, but Tata sits on their butt and reacts after the model has failed miserably. I think this post is not about fanboyism but about whether the models are reliable or not.
Old 7th November 2013, 10:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

I would agree with @rrsteer & @4x4addict that M&M quality is going bad these days. A relative of my colleague bough the top end Bolero (for around Rs.8.5 lacs) some time back, & it developed problem with the front axle, which M&M A.S.S. could not correct despite leaving the truck at A.S.S. for long. Resulting the dealer offered to buy back the Bolero & sold a new Scorpio SLE to them for another Rs.4 lacs. He is satisfied with the Scorpio (except the ride of course) but not with the M&M attitude & the inability to correct the problem. And, now he does not use the Scorpio at his farm as a matter of precaution.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 11:35   #82
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 W4 launched at Rs 10.83 lakh

Another good read
Old 7th November 2013, 11:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

When they launched XUV, W6 variant price was around 10.6 Lakhs.
Now they launched cheaper W4 variant at 10.8 lakhs :-)

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th November 2013 at 11:55.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
This review looks completely biased to me.

The guys in this article are comparing the FE with that of Duster/Terrano without considering the engine size.

Owners are claiming that they are getting decent FE numbers, which is acceptable for the vehicle of this size.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:54   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...I think this post is not about fanboyism but about whether the models are reliable or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
...A relative of my colleague bough the top end Bolero (for around Rs.8.5 lacs) some time back, & it developed problem with the front axle, which M&M A.S.S. could not correct despite leaving the truck at A.S.S. for long. Resulting the dealer offered to buy back the Bolero & sold a new Scorpio SLE to them for another Rs.4 lacs. He is satisfied with the Scorpio (except the ride of course) but not with the M&M attitude & the inability to correct the problem. And, now he does not use the Scorpio at his farm as a matter of precaution.
Shall we restrict the discussion ONLY to XUV 500 and it's reliability concerns please (if there are any)? Taking Scorpios & Boleros to the thread doesn't help.

My post was pretty much relevant to the XUV 500 and the treatment that the company gives to the product owners and their eagerness to solve the issues thru multiple releases. Since this is a product that I would like to own, I would rather be bothered about any reliability issues as a product, NOT because the parts are shared with Scorpio and Scorpio has had any issues.

I am aware of the niggles and electronics problem, but yet to read anything regarding the mechanicals - Any pointers to those?
Old 7th November 2013, 13:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
When they launched XUV, W6 variant price was around 10.6 Lakhs.
Now they launched cheaper W4 variant at 10.8 lakhs :-)
10.6L was just an intro offer price, but that is not the reason. The real reason is a set of acronyms: UPA and MMS are just two of them.

Well beyond the control of M&M, which is just one among the 1.3 billion passengers of a ship. The ship badly needs a captain who can bark orders rather than wag his tail.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th November 2013 at 13:12.
Old 7th November 2013, 13:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shall we restrict the discussion ONLY to XUV 500 and it's reliability concerns please (if there are any)? Taking Scorpios & Boleros to the thread doesn't help.

My post was pretty much relevant to the XUV 500 and the treatment that the company gives to the product owners and their eagerness to solve the issues thru multiple releases. Since this is a product that I would like to own, I would rather be bothered about any reliability issues as a product, NOT because the parts are shared with Scorpio and Scorpio has had any issues.

I am aware of the niggles and electronics problem, but yet to read anything regarding the mechanicals - Any pointers to those?
Hi @swiftnfurious

with your point & will try to abide to the same. But, I was pointing out to the sweeping statement of reliability/ robustness re M&M by one respected (no pun intented) TBHPian.

Just to point out, one of a TBHPians has a XUV500, & had problem of some belt snapping due to design issue (as pointed by him), & there is another - @kedar, if I recall correctly who had few problems. I also know that there are many other @SDP, @debuda, & many more who are very happy with their acquisitions. However, one bad apple in basket is enough to raise doubt in your mind, so I have doubt in my mind which can be resolved by valid argument or my own ownership of XUV500 W4.

Re the M&M gimmick of RM for every XUV500, I do not think it will work in long run as sooner or later it will be reflected in inflated bills, & as few have pointed out, few of the RMs have little knowledge about the vehicle to be in a position to handle owners' queries satisfactorily.
Old 7th November 2013, 13:32   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... or my own ownership of XUV500 W4...
That's something I would look forward to. I expect this variant to be strong enough owing to lesser electronics. If I buy a XUV, then I would be interested in this variant.
Old 7th November 2013, 13:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's something I would look forward to. I expect this variant to be strong enough owing to lesser electronics. If I buy a XUV, then I would be interested in this variant.
HaHa... Yes XUV500 W4 is on to of my list, also because it's got lesser electronics. But, my dad is the spoilsport here... only because I do not want to buy any high value asset without his confirmation, & he is taking his sweet time for nodding the head.

Till then I will just be congratulating the guys.... aah, poor me (not financially but ).
Old 7th November 2013, 14:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HaHa... Yes XUV500 W4 is on to of my list, also because it's got lesser electronics. But, my dad is the spoilsport here... only because I do not want to buy any high value asset without his confirmation, & he is taking his sweet time for nodding the head.

Till then I will just be congratulating the guys.... aah, poor me (not financially but ).
In my case, it's my wife.

I was waiting for the XUV minus the electronic gizmos I don't care much about, and a cheaper price tag. Now that it's here, wife is in the way. She prefers the City (we own) to an SUV. She finds the City very sleek.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks