Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:35   #31
BHPian

Re: General Motors temporarily suspends production and sale of the Tavera & Sail dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Another question - Why only 4000 cars? I'm sure with the numbers that they had reported as bookings withing initial days of launch the number should have been much more (being diesel mill). It seems that there was problem with some parts supplier or a batch of parts , & not all supplies till date.
The recall will affect 2,910 units of the sedan version and 1,090 units of compact car variant. And since its launch in October 2012, the company has sold 8,167 units of the Sail U-VA. The sedan version was launched in February this year and has notched up sales of 10,048 units so far.

source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/...1-1099916.aspx

I am really not sure how many diesel units are present in the given figures. But that is as much as I got to know. I am guessing that they are inspecting the cars in batches. Your assumption might be right as well. The problem could be with some parts supplier or a batch of parts.
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:24   #32
BHPian

re: GM India issues recall for 1.3 MJD diesel versions of Chevrolet Sail U-VA & sedan

As long as Gm continues to dump cheap current chinese and phased out korean steel in the Indian market it will not be a decisive brand to be considered by Indian buyers. And the repercussions are as such as we have seen.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

re: GM India issues recall for 1.3 SMARTEC diesel variants of Chevrolet Sail U-VA & sedan

We were all wondering why the production of the Sail diesel was stopped and I guess we have the answer now

Its a shame that such a thing has happened given that the 1.3 MJD has already been in production for ages globally and for more than half a decade in India itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
As long as Gm continues to dump cheap current chinese and phased out korean steel in the Indian market
Rubbish!

The recall is for the much loved 1.3 MJD which has been fondly called as the national engine because its also used by Suzuki & Fiat. Designed in Italy and built in India.

BTW, the record for 2nd largest recall is held by Ford...must be tough times ahead from them too?

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fo...h-cars/987838/
http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...cosport-324361

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd September 2013 at 20:04.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:12   #34
BHPian

re: GM India issues recall for 1.3 SMARTEC diesel variants of Chevrolet Sail U-VA & sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
BTW, the record for 2nd largest recall is held by Ford...must be tough times ahead from them too?

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/fo...h-cars/987838/
http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...cosport-324361
Mpower, is there a way to check what serial numbers were included in the recall? I only knew about the recall for suspension but not related to power steering hose. Since mine is Feb 2011 vehicle, I wanted to check if the issue affected my car.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Mpower, is there a way to check what serial numbers were included in the recall? I only knew about the recall for suspension but not related to power steering hose. Since mine is Feb 2011 vehicle, I wanted to check if the issue affected my car.
Call your dealer or call Ford customer service. Have you not received any notification?

Have your VIN number handy
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Rubbish!

The recall is for the much loved 1.3 MJD which has been fondly called as the national engine
Rubbish? I did not accuse the mjd of being chinese/korean or even french for that matter as you have presumed yourself.

Please re read my post and then decide what you want to say
Old 4th September 2013, 00:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
crankshaft hub bolt
Unlike other recalls the amount of work required to change out a crankshaft bolt buried deep inside the engine is quite substantial. Thankfully labor cost in India is relatively cheap. If this was Europe or US, they would have their wallets cleaned out

Quote:
Rubbish? I did not accuse the mjd of being chinese/korean or even french for that matter as you have presumed yourself.

Please re read my post and then decide what you want to say
The recall is about the MJD engine which has no Chinese or Korean connection.

Maybe you should re-read the opening post before making disparaging remarks about GM (which are unsubstantiated to begin with)

In case you didn't know Samsung & Hyundai are Korean as well

Last edited by Mpower : 4th September 2013 at 22:44.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We were all wondering why the production of the Sail diesel was stopped and I guess we have the answer now

Its a shame that such a thing has happened given that the 1.3 MJD has already been in production for ages globally and for more than half a decade in India itself.
The 1.3 MJD was developed jointly by Fiat and GM, but this is the first time GM has decided to manufacture and use it. There may be a quality problem which was not detected earlier.

Quote:
Unlike other recalls the amount of work required to change out a crankshaft bolt buried deep inside the engine is quite substantial. Thankfully labor cost in India is relatively cheap. If this was Europe or US, they would have their wallets cleaned out
That is exactly a big issue here for the customer.
The labour in India is cheap but not technically sound to open up the engine and reassemble the same, without creating some niggles throughout the life of the car. GM's decision to do this surgery to the engine by their dealer mechanics, I think, should be a real worry for the customers. I doubt that they will have a niggle free performance from the car post this surgery.

God help them all.

Last edited by Sommos : 4th September 2013 at 11:09.
Old 4th September 2013, 14:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: General Motors temporarily suspends production and sale of the Tavera & Sail dies

The issue of Crankshaft bolt in the diesel unit is an addition to the existing "QC" issue, they should have taken lot of time before launching the vehicle, anyway they were not going to dethrone Swift/i20 diesel with this car.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 18:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The 1.3 MJD was developed jointly by Fiat and GM, but this is the first time GM has decided to manufacture and use it. There may be a quality problem which was not detected earlier
The 3 cyl variant has been in production for a few years now. The bolt cant be that much different can it ???

The 1.3 version is used in several Opel vehicles in Europe so they know a thing or two about it. First time in India yes but no excuses for overlooking a key component like that.

They have taken their time, so hopefully they have a foolproof solution to get the work done at the dealer. Good thing they caught it right after launch

Last edited by Mpower : 4th September 2013 at 19:24.
Old 4th September 2013, 20:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The 3 cyl variant has been in production for a few years now. The bolt cant be that much different can it ???

The 1.3 version is used in several Opel vehicles in Europe so they know a thing or two about it. First time in India yes but no excuses for overlooking a key component like that.

They have taken their time, so hopefully they have a foolproof solution to get the work done at the dealer. Good thing they caught it right after launch
+1 to that.
I think this is a fallout of Taveragate.
Probably they were going in for cheaper (less quality) suppliers for the Sail twins but then made their QC strict again. Sounds like new management is trying to clean up.
Old 4th September 2013, 20:55   #42
BHPian

Re: GM India issues recall for 1.3 MJD diesel versions of Chevrolet Sail U-VA & sedan

Quote:
As long as Gm continues to dump cheap current chinese and phased out korean steel in the Indian market it will not be a decisive brand to be considered by Indian buyers. And the repercussions are as such as we have seen.
As an owner of an Aveo, I strongly disagree. Its a beautifully built car, very sturdy components, no major failures except a leaky radiator so far. Interiors are quality, engine is a beauty to drive.. and the 3 year maintenance free plan was truly peace of mind.

But yes, GM needs to be able to sell its cars better here.. they deserve to.
gsurya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 16:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Looking at ads on newspaper today, it seems sale of diesel twins has resumed.
Old 9th September 2013, 02:06   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The issue of Crankshaft bolt in the diesel unit is an addition to the existing "QC" issue, they should have taken lot of time before launching the vehicle, anyway they were not going to dethrone Swift/i20 diesel with this car.
Dethroning the two giants is ruled out by far.

But due to so many recalls by GM for their whole portfolio customers would shy away from purchase and no interest would be shown.

Hope the bolt is the only 'Quality' issue and nothing bigger!

Anurag.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:16   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Dethroning the two giants is ruled out by far.
As the owner of a Sail UVA, I 100% agree with you.

The swift is a very sporty hatch and the i20 is loaded with features.
The Sail gets just one tripmeter forget about things like a Multi Information Display.

Quote:

But due to so many recalls by GM for their whole portfolio customers would shy away from purchase and no interest would be shown.
Well I did end up buying the Sail UVA and am very happy with it. You can read why I bought it in my ownership thread.

There is another reason for low sales. Low publicity. When I bought my car and sent an email to my office team to come to my desk for sweets. Hardly a couple of them were aware of this car.

Quote:

Hope the bolt is the only 'Quality' issue and nothing bigger!

Anurag.
+1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks