Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2023, 19:46   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Bought a used 2014 BMW 118d - Need Service advise in Bangalore

Kumar this is a wonderful car. Its a rare bird! Congratulations!
If you wish, I can take you to a first class FNG for servicing and stuff. I get my Cooper done there only, preferring it vastly to BMW. But I buy only genuine BMW parts.
Of course if you want to get an inspection and history printout of the car from BMW Navnit they will charge 5000 odd Rupees.
Let me know if you want to consider the FNG and if you want any help with the car.
Thanks!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 21:00   #122
FNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
Hello T-BHP'ians,
I bought a used 2014 BMW 118d last week.
Congratulations. The 118d is a gem to drive. Judging from your observations, I would definitely suggest you get it thoroughly checked by Navnit Motors and get a detailed report. After that get it serviced/fixed by a competent FNG kindly recommend by @shankar.balan.

Do keep us updated on your progress. Best wishes!
FNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 14:22   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Kumar this is a wonderful car. Its a rare bird! Congratulations!
If you wish, I can take you to a first class FNG for servicing and stuff. I get my Cooper done there only, preferring it vastly to BMW. But I buy only genuine BMW parts.
Of course if you want to get an inspection and history printout of the car from BMW Navnit they will charge 5000 odd Rupees.
Let me know if you want to consider the FNG and if you want any help with the car.
Thanks!
Thank you @shankar.balan.
I took delivery of the car this morning from the transporter and drove it to work for about 100kms. The first thing I noticed is it needs a change of tyres immediately. The car is wobbly on undulations and patched up roads., scary sometimes as the worn out Run Flat tyres tend to change the direction of the car. Apart from that I think it needs a complete service including oil changes(maybe the transmission oil too). I'll get it checked at Navnit in this week and then take a call. It would give me a clear idea about the present condition of the car. Thanks for willing to help me out here.
Old 6th February 2023, 14:49   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you @shankar.balan. It would give me a clear idea about the present condition of the car. Thanks for willing to help me out here.
Good idea to go to Navnit and have the car inspected. I did the same when I bought my Cooper.
The ‘check up’ and history printout costs about 5K.

Ref tyres it is a good idea to drive up to Madhu’s and see if they have Michelin Pilot Sports 4 in stock or if they can get you a set. Alternatively you can consider MRF Perfinza or Continental too. Personally Ive experienced both the PS4’s from Michelin and the MRF Perfinzas and can vouch for these.

Ref the FNG - you can directly call Aeon - Aniruddh and mention me. His number is +91 99457 18181.

If I were you, I would immediately do a complete oil and filter change. Also change the Fuel filter. Check the brake rotors and brake pads and sensors and the wheel speed sensors too.

I would also completely drain the ATF from the AT gearbox and replace this. Along with this you will need to change the transmission fluid filter and gasket and magnets but the Brothers at BMW India do NOT sell Child Parts. So you’ll have to import these things.

I am suggesting that it would be better to spend money on maintenance and peace of mind now pro-actively than wait for the maintenance issues to show up.

For parts, in case Navnit is proving recalcitrant and/ or taking a long lead time, you can import stuff from Pelican Parts.com. I use them and they are first class.

Wishing you all the best. Thats a heck of a car. Enjoy it!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 14:57   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @shankar.balan.
I took delivery of the car this morning from the transporter and drove it to work for about 100kms. The first thing I noticed is it needs a change of tyres immediately. The car is wobbly on undulations and patched up roads., scary sometimes as the worn out Run Flat tyres tend to change the direction of the car. Apart from that I think it needs a complete service including oil changes(maybe the transmission oil too). I'll get it checked at Navnit in this week and then take a call. It would give me a clear idea about the present condition of the car. Thanks for willing to help me out here.
I'd say that if you've already bought the car, getting it checked at BMW is a complete waste of time & money. I can already tell you what they'll recommend:

1) Full service (engine oil, filters, coolant & brake fluid)
2) New alloys (may be bent)
3) New tyres (you already know this)
4) New brake pads & discs
5) New suspension all around
6) Interior detail
7) Exterior detail
8) Covid sanitization package
9) Wheel balancing & alignment
10) Replace battery
11) ...

Basically you'll end up getting a bill for changing each and every service item on the car which will add up to 2-4L minimum. My advice would be to skip this and go to someone who can actually tell you which parts need immediate replacements and which ones still have some life left in them.

Last edited by d3mon : 6th February 2023 at 15:04.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 15:16   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I'd say that if you've already bought the car, getting it checked at BMW is a complete waste of time & money.
I agree with d3mon. Your car is no longer under warranty and does not need authorised service station's 6-digit bills. Also, this 2.0d has potential to be tuned, so get a remap if you feel the need for more power. The same 20d makes 184bhp and 400Nm in the then equivalent 320d/520d. Most tuners in Bangalore will service and maintain their customer cars so move on from authorised stations to FNG.

Quote:
Performance – Powering the BMW 1-Series are two engines – 116i (petrol) and 118d (diesel). Our test car was the 118d which uses the same 2.0-litre diesel motor which does duty in the 3-Series and 5-Series. This mill has been detuned to output 143 HP of power and 320 Nm of torque, which is still quite generous by hatchback standards.
Source: https://www.motorbeam.com/2013-bmw-1...-drive-review/
Old 6th February 2023, 17:07   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Ref tyres it is a good idea to drive up to Madhu’s and see if they have Michelin Pilot Sports 4 in stock or if they can get you a set. Alternatively you can consider MRF Perfinza or Continental too. Personally Ive experienced both the PS4’s from Michelin and the MRF Perfinzas and can vouch for these.
My 118d tyres are RFT 225/40/R18 in the front and 255/35/R18 on the rear. With the bumpy ride I experienced today on NH4 upto Vasantnarsapura, I thought of switching over to tubeless. Are the tyres which you have mentioned above tubeless? And between work, I was reading posts on pros and cons of switching from RFT's to tubeless., I must admit I am unable to decide. Need some expert advise here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
1) Full service (engine oil, filters, coolant & brake fluid)
2) New alloys (may be bent)
3) New tyres (you already know this)
4) New brake pads & discs
5) New suspension all around
6) Interior detail
7) Exterior detail
8) Covid sanitization package
9) Wheel balancing & alignment
10) Replace battery
11) ...
I'll probably take a quote from Navnit. Should be a good beginning experience for me with BMW cars. In any case, my immediate priority would be the oil change service, brakes and suspension service. I guess tyres and battery can be bought outside of Navnit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
so get a remap if you feel the need for more power. The same 20d makes 184bhp and 400Nm in the then equivalent 320d/520d.
Thanks. I am not sure if I would do a remap, but my son is keen to do it. So lets see how long I can hold it.
Old 6th February 2023, 17:25   #128
BANNED

Quote:
I thought of switching over to tubeless. Are the tyres which you have mentioned above tubeless? And between work, I was reading posts on pros and cons of switching from RFT's to tubeless., I must admit I am unable to decide. Need some expert advise here.

e the oil change service, brakes and suspension service. I guess tyres and battery can be bought outside of Navnit.

Thanks. I am not sure if I would do a remap, but my son is keen to do it. So lets see how long I can hold it.
Yes of course tubeless tyres are FAR superior for Indian conditions especially in a daily driver regular usage kind of sporty car. RFTs are bumpy. Tubeless tyres give better cushioning. RFTs are prone to damage. I have posted this elsewhere too - I ve experienced RFT blowout in the super roads of France. In India with all the horrible debris on our roads it is just a matter of time and luck. Here also in my lovely Michelin tubeless tyres I had a sidewall cut owing to construction debris on the road. But tubeless are MUCH better than RFTs, thats absolutely for sure. (More so in Bangalore!)

Ref the suspension. Yes. It a distinct possibility that your car being 9 years old, will need this done. And I wholeheartedly recommend Aniruddh for that. His mechanic Umesh patiently sat and did my complete Cooper’s suspension overhaul and boy what a difference! My car was 9 years old when I did that job last year. It cost money in terms of spares but there is no option but to do it.

If I were you I would first attend to all the basics on the car and bring it up to satisfactory levels of personal mechanical happiness and only then look at a remap and more power. Remember, more power puts more stress on all the components including tyres and suspension and axles and bearings and gears and all.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th February 2023 at 17:28.
Old 7th February 2023, 11:08   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3. On the test drive, the car dint seem to be like a 150 BHP car. My 2017 100 BHP Figo TDCi feels more powerful.
This needs to be looked into first as per me. Its certainly not normal, and if all were right the Figo wouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence in terms of power (maybe in terms of handling). Also go for tubeless tyres without a second thought.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 21:41   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Yes of course tubeless tyres are FAR superior for Indian conditions especially in a daily driver regular usage kind of sporty car. RFTs are bumpy. Tubeless tyres give better cushioning. RFTs are prone to damage.

Ref the suspension. Yes. It a distinct possibility that your car being 9 years old, will need this done.
Hello @shankar.balan and T-bhp'ians,
Since I still couldn't take the car for a check up due to time constraints, I was thinking I get the tyres changed immediately which would in reality give a much better idea about the drive and suspension condition of the car. So, what would you guys think about it?

I have been driving it for about 10kms in the city everyday just to get a proper feel about its condition and all the time I notice and hear sounds from the tyres and suspension., nothing much from elsewhere. There is a rear fog light malfucntion error that pops at the start of the car. I also noticed from the service data onboard that a last service was done around the 30k km mark and its about 8000 kms in its service life. I hope I got the interpretation right. I also tried hard to find the manufacturing month/year of the tyres, but couldnt find them on the tyres(or I missed it). They are Bridgestones made in Poland. Any manufacturing month/year code I should figure out..please let me know.

I could not visit Madhu's, but visited SLN pitstop close to my house. They dint have stock of tyres since the outlet is being shifted, but the guys there did not recommend MRF, telling me its a BMW and it has to be only Michelin or Pirelli or Continental. It sounded more of a brand image than technicality.

Any advice/opinion for me is highly appreciated.

I am uploading a few pictures taken from the used car dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-img20230120wa0013.jpg  

BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-img20230120wa0018.jpg  

BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-img20230120wa0024.jpg  

Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 23:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking I get the tyres changed
Looking at the pics, those alloys don't look stock with what car came with. Tyres have very low sidewall. Less comfort and more prone to damage.

Would suggest you to lower the rim size (stock size) and go for chunkier sidewall tyres for better ride comfort.

Would work best for our road conditions.

Look up the manual or tyre pressure label on driver side door for tyre size.
Old 21st February 2023, 11:39   #132

Re: BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report

Congrats on the Bimmer, I owned an E90 320D from 2011 to 2016, regret selling it as I had shifted to the Middle East for work. The car gave me sheer joy driving it on highway journeys from Chennai to Bangalore, Kodaikanal, Pondicherry, etc.
I also used a Race Chip imported from Germany to increase the HP which was great on sports mode on highway drives 😊
These cars need to be cared for properly, my suggestion would be to check with the dealership garage and let them make an estimation on the general service of the car and any issues they can check out.
Also, be prepared for parts to wear out as these cars don't last well after 5-plus years.
Remove the RFTs as soon as possible, go for tubeless tyres, I had mine fitted with Hankooks and the ride was more comfortable driving it on city roads. I also got a space-saver spare wheel from the BMW dealership here, in case of a puncture, which I didn't use for 4 years so when I sold my car, the new owner got a new spare wheel 😂
I see you got aftermarket wheels of 18 inches, that's not the correct specs for your model, I would suggest checking with BMW on the right specs the car was sold in.
I ran the stock 16-inch rims for the 5-plus years of my car usage.
These cars if serviced regularly by a good independent garage or dealership garage can run for a long time.
I picked up a couple of years back, a used Mercedes E class now as my daily driver in Chennai and service it in a friend's garage who's very experienced with Mercs, Bimmers and Audis.
I'm looking into getting a BMW E90 330i as well.
Enjoy your new car, Cheers.
Old 15th May 2023, 17:14   #133
BHPian

Hello All,
I have an update and also need some advise/help here. My 118d is almost overhauled(thanks to @shankar.balan for referring me to Anirudh of Aeon Motors).
The last part that we need is the catalytic converter since the present one is clogged and can't be cleaned.
The new one from BMW is super expensive, so we are exploring other possibilities like importing or getting hold of a good condition used one in India.
I request forum members to help me connect with any reliable source pan India who could supply this part to me.
The part number is:
8. 509 241
8. 515 271
713662 S
I am also attaching a couple of pictures. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-img20230515wa0003.jpg  

BMW 1 Series : Pictures & Launch Report-img20230515wa0007.jpg  

Old 15th May 2023, 18:21   #134
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
How about getting a remap and deleting the catcon? If you are firm on your decision that you need to get a catcon, then this may not be a feasible option but if not, you shall end up spending less and your ride will become even more enjoyable. Code 6, WolfMoto etc. shall be able to help you with catcon delete.
Old 15th May 2023, 22:54   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello All,
I have an update and also need some advise/help here. My 118d is almost overhauled(thanks to @shankar.balan for referring me to Anirudh of Aeon Motors).
The last part that we need is the catalytic converter since the present one is clogged and can't be cleaned.
The new one from BMW is super expensive, so we are exploring other possibilities like importing or getting hold of a good condition used one in India.
I request forum members to help me connect with any reliable source pan India who could supply this part to me.
The part number is:
8. 509 241
8. 515 271
713662 S
I am also attaching a couple of pictures. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
If going catless is not an option for you, and the stock catalytic converter is simply too expensive, you could consider getting a high flow sport cat.

A quick google search threw up this: https://rm-motors.de/RM-Motors-Downp...uro-3-635mm-25

It’s an option worth considering especially if you can manage to bring it down discreetly.

EDIT: the pictures of the orange 1-Series don’t look like they were taken in India. I think I see a Mazda casually parked in the background, and you don’t often see that car in India, if at all. And also, the 1 did not come with those wheels. Could be wrong, though!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th May 2023 at 23:10.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks