Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2013, 15:43   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

As for Samyakmodi, he says, "the guy has earned enough money to purchase such an expensive car - and he has every right to cry foul if he feels cheated......" Ok, does it mean a poor soul who buys a basic car like Eon from loan or all his savings has no right to cry if his car breaks down. I say this guy has more right to cry than Salman for whom a Range Rover cost is pocket change. Why this crazy pitching for a rich actor? Are you so enamoured by these rich actors? No, I do not hate them or something. Just that I do not jump to their rescue without ascertaining facts. Although, I do like some actors ( Salman and SRK are definitely not in my list ) but yet I do not go gaga over them or tear my hair out if something happens to them. In other words I treat them as entertainers and I do not care a rat's posterior about their lives. I am too busy with my own.

As for his rant about English language, he should know that English is no longer the language of British alone. It now belongs to the whole world and the whole world transacts business in Englsih. More than Brits, it is the language or Americans now and it is the Americans who exercise more influence on this language than British. And Indians are not far behind. We Indians have used this language to the fullest to further our education overseas and rule the world of IT for last few decades. So why this rant against English?

Salman's English? Forget English, this guy doesn't even speak Hindi properly, without halting and without stammering. Is that ok, too? For heaven's sake do not say yes. I wonder what language he speaks fluently.
My friend, i never said that a person with an eon doesn't have the right to complain. but just because salman complains doesn't mean that he has no credibility is all that i meant.

As far as me coming to the rescue of the actors - hehe i share the same sentiments like you do - I don't care at all. But if he has been facing a problem and he has tweeted about it - it doesn't mean that i should judge his claims as false. from the general understanding of how a human being (particularly this celeb) behaves - he doesn't do things to get in the lime light - hence i would give his claims a little serious thought.

My rant against english was purely because of someone's comments about this particular celeb's english speaking skills. i don't know why - but whenever i travel abroad i feel a strong sense of pride in the locals for their language. i do know that the common language is usually english - but they take immense pride with their local language more than their skills in english.
let's look at the italians - all their products (mainly automobiles) have the names/variants/colors/modes in their native language and not english. for eg bianca, corse, rosso, superleggera - and we people really do appreciate it!! maybe because it sounds exotic - or maybe because we at one level beam with pride that we know it
so if someone tells me that someone doesn't know english properly - i don't really understand - how does it matter as long as you are able to communicate.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th November 2013 at 18:04. Reason: Post edited. Please use decent language + use Capitalized words at the start of sentences. Thanks.
Old 11th November 2013, 22:50   #107
BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakd

An update to this topic after a long time. I was having a general chat with a source of mine and the topic of the Range rover came up. It seems that there is a twist in the tale, Salman's car had a lot of parts that were imported for the same vehicle and were installed probably at a FNG. The parts may have been performance parts or just simple upgrades but there's where the problem started. The vehicle was not accepting the parts or there were sensor errors.

Every time the vehicle was taken to the service center the dash lit up with error lights like a christmas tree and this is what all caused the problems in the first place.Maybe the parts interfered somehow,somewhere such that the car over-corrected it and may have caused this problem.

I do not know how much of this is true but is just what my source told me. Does anybody have anymore updates with regards to this topic?
richie4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 07:33   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
An update to this topic after a long time. I was having a general chat with a source of mine and the topic of the Range rover came up. It seems that there is a twist in the tale, Salman's car had a lot of parts that were imported for the same vehicle and were installed probably at a FNG. The parts may have been performance parts or just simple upgrades but there's where the problem started. The vehicle was not accepting the parts or there were sensor errors.

Every time the vehicle was taken to the service center the dash lit up with error lights like a christmas tree and this is what all caused the problems in the first place.Maybe the parts interfered somehow,somewhere such that the car over-corrected it and may have caused this problem.

I do not know how much of this is true but is just what my source told me. Does anybody have anymore updates with regards to this topic?
Not specifically on this topic, but yes, if you start adding and or swapping parts for non-original or approved parts, you can get yourself into a heap of trouble, electronically speaking it i. Most manufacturers would also tell you any and all warranty claims would be void. Not sure how that works in India.

Would be interesting to hear what really happened. Because if it is along those line you can also understand JLR reluctance to do something about it. If you start messing with your car, fine, but you need to take the consequence yourselves as well.

Jeroen
Old 12th November 2013, 09:01   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I highly doubt this. Salmans car looks stock as a bone. It is always chauffeured and hence priority is comfort not performance. Infact he swapped his 20inch rims with smaller ones that come on the RR sport for extra comfort. He could have got rims for much cheaper aftermarket but since he chose the ugly OEM RR sport hse rims, I'm sure he gets his car treated only at an authorized dealership.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 09:48   #110
Senior - BHPian

The reliability of cars also well depends on how its driven. Though most expensive cars are usually in the garage along with their owner's other collections, at times they can be driven by people, such as "friends" etc., who may use all of their enthusiasm, resulting in severe damage, resulting in expensive repairs.

I was coming to Bangalore from Kerala when I saw a Jaguar being driven by a lady. There was a gentleman on the co-passenger seat. The Jaguar was being driven quite roughly, through potholes, over speed breakers etc. The stretch was between Walayar to Avinashi.

I'm pretty sure they must have headed straight to the Jaguar service center when they reached their destination - if at all they did.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 13:26   #111
BHPian

Gave my evoque yesterday for servicing at Pune workshop. I was made to wait for nearly 45 minutes even though i had an appointment scheduled and i had reached the place 5 minutes early. Just because the person who had an appointment before me turned up late and they had only one service adviser to serve the clients. I mean this is ridiculous. Only one adviser for the entire workshop!! Anyways, had got a call from JLR regarding some fuel leak issue and I had to get it done soon.
kau_therock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 14:40   #112
BHPian

Well this appears to me as a rumor or false information circulated into the market as counter argument/response for this news or incident. Does it make any sense that salman khan importing performance parts and that too fitted at a FNG instead of a good repute modifier/tuner who will source and swap with only high quality syncable/approved parts or will inform costumer which part to source. Further after tuning the error codes will not be checked by him!!
This sounds totally rubbish.
Old 13th November 2013, 13:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen Salman's car myself and its bone stock. His car always went to the service centre and not any where else for work. The main aspect of getting a Vogue was comfort as he spends a lot of time with it and always chauffeured.

He had brought his car once to a Toyota tech to understand why his car was behaving strangely just a day after his car had come from service. It was seen that only fault codes were deleted, while the car was just the same as it went for service. Salman has been kind enough not to mention the numerous times his suspension has dropped and on two occasions again when the car came back from service oil all over his rims and calipers.

Salman is not a performance freak or someone to modify a car or bike..he keeps them as he gets them from the manufacturer. He has tweeted as he can get answers and a solution to his problem from the manufacturer and not a replacement car or compensation of any kind.

Last edited by Mpower : 14th November 2013 at 19:56. Reason: typo
speedy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 19:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration on Range Rover breakdow

On a related note, here's another example of celeb brand disapproval
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
A
Celebrity brand disapproval can be as powerful as celebrity brand endorsement
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/11/14...esla-roadster/

Last edited by Mpower : 24th February 2014 at 19:22.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 00:23   #115
BHPian

In the end I think it was really a PR disaster for JLR. Audi promptly cashing in on the opportunity and selling Salman the fastest Audi in India yet RS7 on the launch. Him receiving the first car in itself is plenty of endorsement for Audi.
selvagp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 11:31   #116
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

These woes seem to be infecting other users as well. There is already another thread in TBHP on his land rover woes.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 24th February 2014 at 11:33. Reason: typo
Old 13th June 2014, 05:26   #117
BHPian

Indian owner of £53,000 Jaguar turns to donkey power after it keeps breaking down

For complete story see the below link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...king-down.html

Quote:
An Indian Jaguar owner has taken to driving round town in his new car with it being pulled by donkeys because he says it is the only way to make it move.

Businessman Rahul Thackreym, 38, who lives in India's western Ahmedabad city came up with the idea after the brand new £53,000 car repeatedly broke down.

He claims he went back to the dealership to get the Jaguar XJ model fixed on several occasions, but as soon as one problem was fixed, another cropped up.

[He said: 'I was fed up with going back and getting them to put things right only to have something else go wrong.
'In order to make sure I could at least still use it and to let the dealer know what I thought of their cars, I came up with the idea of having it towed around by donkeys.

'Basically, a donkey it seems is more reliable than a Jaguar.' He added: 'In my opinion, this car is worse than a sardine tin on wheels. 'I have taken it to many authorised dealers and garages but it has not helped me. It has so many problems I can't even list them all.'

He said that he had bought the car on May 7 when the trouble started: 'The lights first went off, I asked them for a change. They had no lights. I screamed, they changed the lights. 'Then the bumper fell off and it got repaired in 10 days when it is mandatory to repair it in 48 hours. And that was just the start

'My family joked that it would have been better to buy a donkey cart, and actually I thought that wasn't a bad idea, so I got a few animals sent round and hitched up to the car.' The Indian dealership declined to comment on the case as they are still in talks with Mr Thackreym
JoseVijay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 09:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Indian owner of £53,000 Jaguar turns to donkey power after it keeps breaking down
I think they forgot to add import duty to the price, XJ costs more than twice the amount mentioned
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 10:23   #119
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically, a donkey it seems is more reliable than a Jaguar.
Poor big cat! If jaguars (the wild felines) had the ability to hire lawyers, they would have sued JLR (and Tata Motors) for bringing them such a bad reputation and would have sought to prevent the company from using their name as a trademark henceforth. {There is nothing wrong with the statement though, when comparing the two mammals. Donkeys are loyal, extremely hard working beasts of burden, while jaguars truly are wild, untamable carnivores.}

Seriously though, Tata Motors have to pull up their socks and deliver. Not only are they the owners of JLR, but also the ones who run the sales & service network in India. This kind of bad publicity may also hurt Tata Motors' ability to change the perception about their own mass market cars.

Last edited by RSR : 13th June 2014 at 10:26.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 12:56   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Indian dealership declined to comment on the case as they are still in talks with Mr Thackreym
These morons wait till things go out of hand and then they suddenly wake up to resolve issues. They probably do NOT realize that the damage done by then is exponential. Instead, if they act "on time", at least they can contain the damage caused! It's like waiting to see what damage can the customer do and then act based on it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th June 2014 at 12:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks