Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 16:14   #16
BANNED

Re: JLR India PR disaster. Salman Khan tweet his anger due to his broken down Range R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
9 pads doesn't mean the entire set. 9 means just entire set might have been replaced twice. Instead of changing all at once they might be doing a trial and error everytime by changing one at a time.
Exactly. So it's a story. Where two times has been distorted as 9 times hiding the real facts.
Old 15th October 2013, 16:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakdown

Given the complexity of these cars, the question that comes to my mind every now and then - "Are hands that service/repair the vehicle are as skilled/experienced as the hands that bring the car together?" This might not be the only case of such issue. Just because its a celebrity who has brought out this issue to the public, or when a person approaches online communities we come to know about such issues. But I am sure there are other people with similar issues also.

Given that manufacturers like JLR, Porsche, Lamborghini and such recent entrants(Not Audi, BMW or Merc) are setting foot now, what would be the situation once the manufacturer warranty of these cars expires and such issues come up? If sending the car multiple times to the dealer for repair is an annoying issue for all of us, then how annoying would being presented a huge bill everytime would be? Most of the components are not so easy to repair, and hence would be replaced. This would undoubtedly cost a bomb as they are imported. So I guess the situation will worsen once the cars go past their warranty period.
Old 15th October 2013, 16:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Land Rovers have been consistently rated bottom of the reliability charts in the west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
British cars were never "reliable" and will never be. But they top the charts in appealing more to the heart than the head and is usually the reason people buy them.
Reminds me about old Top Gear joke about Jaguar. "The only way to have your Jaguar on the road all the time is to own two of them, so when one is in the workshop you can drive the other one.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 17:20   #19
BHPian

With so many Range Rovers selling, JLR must have got mighty pleased and arrogant!!

Dont think most Range Rover owners especially celebrity owners would actually take their cars for service and wait like us ordinary folks so they might be changing everything they can according to their whims.

When a RR customer publicly reacts against poor service it probably reaches till his friends and the head of customer service but when Dabanng khan reacts...PR nightmare ripple effects across India.

If only Salman Khan owned a Skoda.....but he wouldn't now, would he?
microaubin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 17:34   #20
BHPian

What I see in this is the indifferent attitude of the dealer/service center to the celebrity client itself. Not sure what and how they handle the normal customers.

I am sure with his kind of resources he doesnt even need to pull some strings to get this sorted out in no time - he must be really pissed off with the indifference from the service/dealer in particular to highlight it on a public forum.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 18:11   #21
BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his anger on Range Rover breakdown

Why the hype ??! Just because he is Salman Khan ? What about the cases of normal people getting lemons when they buy Audis and Mercs ?
Such incidents do happen with cars ranging from Audis,Mercs,Beemers although they may not be film stars but general public and we are quite aware of all of them.

Salman Khan fans I'm sorry, but I do not think that just by relying on an anger-driven tweet, one can abase a legendary product.
And it is never that, if a guy owns a fleet of exotics he has the technical knowledge of it too. (which applies to most of Bollywood actors).

Has anyone ever read Salman's tweets ? If you want the most irrelevant, jumbled and self-confused tweets then just read them. One can hardly understand the English which he writes, and the meaning of his tweets.

I don't know about others but I am the last person to rely on such tweets.

Moreover, I don't think RR would risk their name by treating the car of a celebrity of his stature in a careless manner.
There's much more to the story than meets the eye.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 18:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster. Salman Khan tweet his anger due to his broken down Range R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
And seriously what abuse can these guys do in Mumbai? Car is almost chauffeur driven. He has people following like the paparazzi. He can't rip it anywhere easily.

And the RR is meant for real off road abuse. Abuse on city roads is nowhere close to what will happen in an OTR.
I wondered about that too. It may have been replaced to fix a noise or squeal because the owner demanded it

Pads wear like this can happen only when you brake regularly from autobhan speed. (which this beast is capable of)
Old 15th October 2013, 18:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration on Range Rover breakdow

Tata Motors - It seems that they have shifted the focus from JLR to the India operations of the home grown brand and as such while making efforts of bringing their house in order, they clean forgot that the JLR (which is their milking cow as of now) is left unguarded and started collecting some bad publicity for them.

Wake up Tata - Please !
Old 15th October 2013, 19:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration on Range Rover breakdow

IIRC, wasn't this RR spotted in the 'cars on flatbed' thread some time back?
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 20:29   #25
BHPian

There was a time in Australia it was all Landrovers all the time.
They were rugged but not very reliable but most importantly Australians did not have a choice then.

For an Australian herder/rancher reliability is life. Landrover would strand him in the middle of the Great Australian desert when he was out to get his groceries, only to be bitten by a snake or a spider.

Then in the 70s slowly but steadily the Japanese came in with their Landcruisers and Patrols. They were dead simple and simply reliable. He just switched and LandRover was wiped off in no time.
figo_mba is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 21:20   #26
BHPian

Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his anger on Range Rover breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
One can hardly understand the English which he writes, and the meaning of his tweets.

I don't know about others but I am the last person to rely on such tweets.
Just because someone doesn't have great communication skills, that doesn't mean his words/tweets aren't reliable.

Quote:
Moreover, I don't think RR would risk their name by treating the car of a celebrity of his stature in a careless manner.
Nowhere does he mention about not being treated properly by the dealer or the manufacturer. He is only disappointed with the quality/ reliability.

Last edited by Daewood : 15th October 2013 at 21:22.
Daewood is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 21:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Just because someone doesn't have great communication skills, that doesn't mean his words/tweets aren't reliable.
I said this, since he doesn't have a smooth style of writing it is very much possible that what he is conveying to us, the actual might be very different from it.

Quote:
Nowhere does he mention about not being treated properly by the dealer or the manufacturer. He is only disappointed with the quality/ reliability.
Where did I mention that the dealer is not treating the car well ?
Infact he mentions in 1 of the tweets he isn't happy with RR's customer service..

-Bhargav
Old 15th October 2013, 23:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

It's a shame Salman is complaining about the pads. A modern luxury car has 8 pads. 2 pads against each rotors.

Most of the time the dealership advises to change the pad's as soon as it's 10% of it's life. Although the pads can go another 10,000 Km more , a change will be suggested for safety reasons.

He can however complain about the suspension and breakdown issue, but nothing is going to change. It's a Range Rover after all , everything is not perfect !
Old 16th October 2013, 07:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Dear All,

Let us not discount the claims, saying Salman Khan doesn't know what he writes.

If he is tweeting about the problems with the car, it should most probably be genuine. When I last checked,Salman Khan is known for this big khan stature and not for cheap tricks.

We also need to note that, Salman's source of information is his driver, he doesnt drive the car, you see. I hope the driver's claims are valid.

That said, An important question would be.

How many kms did the RR munch so far ? Time is not quantitative measure of how long the brake pads last, the KMS covered is.

Suspension problems -- No Clue !!

Last edited by F150 : 16th October 2013 at 08:05.
Old 16th October 2013, 08:53   #30
BHPian

I believe quite a few car companies - Indian or Foreign - would be lax in customer service and attitude, big brand names notwithstanding. I have been waiting for a test ride from both Tata Motors and Mahindra for the past 20 days or so, have sent SMSes, written emails, and contacted dealers ... no test drive offered yet. If these companies have such a bad attitude even before selling a car, I am not surprised that they have a pathetic after-sales service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks