Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 10:44   #46
Team-BHP Support

I am extremely excited by this prospect. In a perfect world I'd like all the 3 cars in my garage to be A/Ts, with at least two of them being diesel if not all three.

The other challenge a B+ segment diesel AT hatch could face is from a A+ / B segment petrol hatch. But then I feel that too can be addressed by ensuring that the AT is offered across multiple variants to provide it a wider customer base at multiple price points.

Now if only the upcoming Honda MPV or Toyota Innova next gen could come in diesel AT I can see my perfect garage taking shape:
Diesel AT hatch;
Diesel AT MUV; and
A flagship sedan, (D or P) AT.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:20   #47
BHPian

re: Grand i10 Diesel AT - End of a long wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I find the price point discussed here quite high for a small city car. But what is exciting is the possible impact of this move –other manufacturers see an opportunity and come up with Diesel+AT combination in the B and C segments.
Agree with the price point being high but that's across the spectrum. And having seen the overall fit
& finish, there would be many lining up for this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I am extremely excited by this prospect. In a perfect world I'd like all the 3 cars in my garage to be A/Ts, with at least two of them being diesel if not all three.

The other challenge a B+ segment diesel AT hatch could face is from a A+ / B segment petrol hatch. But then I feel that too can be addressed by ensuring that the AT is offered across multiple variants to provide it a wider customer base at multiple price points.

Now if only the upcoming Honda MPV or Toyota Innova next gen could come in diesel AT I can see my perfect garage taking shape:
Diesel AT hatch;
Diesel AT MUV; and
A flagship sedan, (D or P) AT.
Doubt it though that the next Innova upgrade will have an Automatic without a minimum 18-19L OTR price tag and whether it would have volumes.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:32   #48
BHPian

Diesel Hatch back with AT is an Interesting combo and I have been craving for a long time now! Having said the above, I think the prices (8 lacs - 10 lacs) mentioned by few members is really high. I would be interested only if AT is offered in all variants and the OTR should not cross 7 Lac in Blore for i10 Grand AT + PS + PWindows + AC + ABS.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 17:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I do 35kms one way trips to work through traffic. Viman nagar to hinjewadi and i can tell you that for those 70kms of madness, i'm willing to bet my money on this car.

But a decent diesel AT hatch has been long long overdue!
Exactly! I do 50KM's round trip from Karvenagar to Bhosari in peak hours and a Diesel AT would be such a well deserved luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Yeah me too. They must be thinking that the upper end of the customer base would choose AT and they wouldnt mind (or would actually like) the safety and stuff..

BTW, Maruti has done that - the Dzire or Ritz AT are VXi spec (with ABS), and not ZXi.

i10 Grand Magna CRDI AT would really be the best seller
If not magna, at least ABS, Airbags and AT should be available from Sportz onwards IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
In the end, a sub-1 million rupee diesel AT which hits the ton in ~ 20s or so, is still a million times better than no sub-1 million rupee diesel ATs at all, which is the case today. Hyundai should introduce this AT, along with the very quick 1.2 Kappa AT on the Grand i10 as soon as possible, IMO.
+1

OTOH, how much will the mileage be affected in a Diesel AT compared to Diesel MT? For a Petrol, I understand it's considerable, almost half but don't have any idea for the diesel AT variants. Enlighten me, please.

Lastly, perhaps no one can be very sure, but how soon can we expect this to arrive? I am planning for an upgrade in January or February, will be great if it arrives before; based on the pricing I can at least think of going for it.

Basically, I haven't driven an AT ever and I love driving way too much hence doesn't mind driving my non-PS Santro, but wifey has started driving too and it would be better for her. Also, who knows, I might even enjoy AT.
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 20:12   #50
BHPian

drpudhi if i10 grande AT diesel is a reality , then no one understands india better than hyundai does . Its going to be a killer bullet in hyundai gun for india for sure , provided only if its priced appropriately. Hope hyundai still remember the Honda jaaz !
Old 30th October 2013, 22:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

While we are cheering this, has anyone confirmed this news of a diesel AT in such a small form-factor? Volumes are guaranteed, but why no manufacturer hasnt ventured here?
Old 30th October 2013, 22:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post

OTOH, how much will the mileage be affected in a Diesel AT compared to Diesel MT? For a Petrol, I understand it's considerable, almost half but don't have any idea for the diesel AT variants. Enlighten me, please.

Basically, I haven't driven an AT ever and I love driving way too much hence doesn't mind driving my non-PS Santro, but wifey has started driving too and it would be better for her. Also, who knows, I might even enjoy AT.
AT mileage half of MT? Who told you this? My A-Star AT gives better mileage than a friend's A-Star MT. It's all in driving style. Also, modern ATs are very efficient. What you say was probably true in 90s but not now. And in case of diesel AT, it will return even better or equal FE of an MT because of inherent high torque at low rpm in a diesel engine.

As for your enjoying, trust me you will. Yes, first few weeks may feel odd, sitting there doing nothing. But once you get the taste of that convenience, there will be no going back. Further, I would advice anyone to get a diesel car only in AT because of hard clutch of a diesel car.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 09:49   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
AT mileage half of MT? Who told you this? My A-Star AT gives better mileage than a friend's A-Star MT. It's all in driving style. Also, modern ATs are very efficient. What you say was probably true in 90s but not now. And in case of diesel AT, it will return even better or equal FE of an MT because of inherent high torque at low rpm in a diesel engine.

As for your enjoying, trust me you will. Yes, first few weeks may feel odd, sitting there doing nothing. But once you get the taste of that convenience, there will be no going back. Further, I would advice anyone to get a diesel car only in AT because of hard clutch of a diesel car.
Glad to hear that your A-star AT is giving better FE than A-star MT!
Would use some of the tips from you if I were to get an Grand i10 AT!

But my comment was based on the feedback of numerous i10 AT users, who report FE in the range of 5-6KMPL and seldom has anyone reported more than 9KMPL. Considering i10 MT usually gives no less than 11-12, it was a fair assumption IMO.

I really hope that what you say turns out true at least for the Diesel Grand i10 AT, I would surely push my budget to get one.
Old 31st October 2013, 09:55   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But my comment was based on the feedback of numerous i10 AT users, who report FE in the range of 5-6KMPL and seldom has anyone reported more than 9KMPL. Considering i10 MT usually gives no less than 11-12, it was a fair assumption IMO.
I know guys who drive manual i10's and report mileage of under 8 kmpl. This is in Mumbai. Probably one-off cases with some unresolved issues.

In general you should expect 10% drop in FE. e.g. if a manual Vento petrol gives 12 kmpl, an AT Vento will deliver 11 kmpl approx. in the same conditions. Of course this is completely dependent on driving style. The torque convertor has some losses associated with it resulting in dropping FE and pedal-to-the-floor style of driving will result in frequent kickdowns and maul your FE. With a light foot, you should be able to get almost the same as a smooth shifting MT.

So please don't sweat it: the diesel AT (if and when launched) will probably have an FE in the same ballpark as the manual.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 10:31   #55
BHPian

Thanks noopster!

I hope it does arrive before January and hope again that it's within limits of my stretched-out budget. Am I hoping for too much?
Old 31st October 2013, 12:24   #56
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lastly, perhaps no one can be very sure, but how soon can we expect this to arrive? I am planning for an upgrade in January or February, will be great if it arrives before; based on the pricing I can at least think of going for it.
To be frank, I'm in the same boat as you. I've never owned an AT, so cannot really comment on the fuel efficiency factor, let alone that of a diesel AT. But I think there is no cause for worry on the FE front. Common-rail diesels are very fuel efficient (thanks to the ample torque with a usually flat torque curve) and the 1.1 CRDi MT from Hyundai has achieved excellent ARAI test figures, which is unsurprising as it's a small 3-cyl. unit. Even if you factor in losses due to the torque converter, the FE is bound to be very good. I believe it would even be better than any manual petrol hatchback from the same segment. It all depends on the driving style and conditions, too.

Hyundai's petrol engines are known to have greatly varying FE figures, depending on the driving style and traffic/road conditions. Thankfully, their diesel engines seem to have much more consistent figures, going by the reported FE numbers. As the others have suggested, FE should be quite good on the Grand i10 CRDi AT.

If the rumours are to be believed, Hyundai is in the process of fine-tuning/testing the car right now. So one can expect an Auto Expo launch at the latest. I guess it should be in time for your planned upgrade at the beginning of the next year.

Last edited by RSR : 31st October 2013 at 12:26.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 13:32   #57
BHPian

I don't know how reliable these websites are but if cartrade or motoroids are to be believed, the diesel AT is as soon as November end or December.

Also, both of them state that it will be launched for top 2 trims. That's a good news!!

Fingers crossed!

Source:

Motoroids

Cartrade
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 15:25   #58
BHPian

Hats off to Hyundai if they are bringing in a small diesel hatchback AT. This is exactly what everyone in this fuel conscious country wants. Or rather seems to want. And what everyone promises to buy if launched!!

I had actually hoped Honda would have brought the Diesel Amaze with AT and gained tremendous first mover advantage. But that was not to be. I had actually waited for the Amaze to be launched to find out if there's a diesel AT and since there is not, went ahead and bought the Brio Vx-AT!!

Pricing would be a key factor here. With rising diesel cost a 2 lakh premium over similar petrol AT's would not make it fly off the racks!!

Strictly Personal Opinion:(Sub 10 lakh AT's are joyful to ride within city limits.The shifting times are awful. For anything over 70 kms plus I prefer any MT's like swift,City, Innova etc. High end AT's offer good driveablilty with excellent power ready on tap.
Old 31st October 2013, 15:57   #59
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

An i10 AT petrol indeed gives miserable Fuel Efficiency figures. Mine gives around 8kmpl. This is due to it being a 4 speed box. In the ecosport AT which is a DSG 6 speed box I get the same as the manual variants. The Laura 6 speed DSG AT was more fuel efficient than the 5 speed manual.

Hyundai have a good thing on their hands provided they bring in at least a 5 speed AT.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:44   #60
BHPian

Re: Grand i10 Diesel AT - End of a long wait?

Quote:
Lowest I have ever had is around 8 yet with the i10 Sportz 1.2 AT. Its usually around 9 (in traffic, small roads, with AC on during peak Delhi summers). Highest I have ever got from it yet is 12 when I used it on the Greater Noida expressway. Not too happy with it (FE-wise) but not much of an option & AT is an absolute godsend nevertheless. (The same AT on a 2003 Santro Xing used to give me around 11-13 in same conditions).
A 2006 Honda City ZX CVT used to give me 12-14 in same conditions even when pushed much more harder than the hatches. It gave me as much as 17-18 on highways a few times with AC on.
Hyundai AT box used in all these cars is nothing much except for the tremendous convenience it offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
An i10 AT petrol indeed gives miserable Fuel Efficiency figures. Mine gives around 8kmpl. This is due to it being a 4 speed box. In the ecosport AT which is a DSG 6 speed box I get the same as the manual variants. The Laura 6 speed DSG AT was more fuel efficient than the 5 speed manual.

Hyundai have a good thing on their hands provided they bring in at least a 5 speed AT.
Agreed.
But it looks like it will still be the same AT box they have been using throughout these many past years right from the Santro.
anks_at is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks