Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2015, 08:48   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV

The Brio-based SUV from Honda will be making it's debut at the 2016 Delhi Motor Show. It will NOT be a sub-4 metre SUV, and might come with BOTH 5-seater and 7-seater configurations.

Quote:
The compact SUV is likely to be unveiled at the 2016 Delhi Motor Show, while the launch could take place in the second half of 2016. Interestingly, the Brio SUV will not be a sub-4 metre vehicle and will offer spacious cabin to accommodate seven adults. It is expected that the SUV will also be offered in five-seat version.
Unlike the Amaze and Mobilio, the Brio SUV will sport aggressive and fresh exterior styling. The car will get aggressive body cladding, skid plates, roof rails and large bumpers. Moreover, the SUV will also get better quality interiors.

SOURCE
Old 12th May 2015, 09:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

I just wonder why Honda is abusing the Brio platform for us Indians. When Hyundai is using I20 for its compact SUV, why cant Honda use the HRV based on Jazz? Their reasons are as worse as Indian diesel not being good for them. They are supposed to be an engineering company and they should work on things if there is something limiting.

I hope they fail miserably for treating us like this. I have owned over 7 different Hondas and Acuras and being a ardent fan of theirs, I find it really disappointing.

The width of these Brios based vehicles is a limitation and it would not help sitting comfortable in the 3rd row.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:01   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Brio-SUV codenamed 2SJ

The Japanese manufacturer has codenamed the project as ‘2SJ‘.

Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV-honda2sjbriosuvindia2.jpg
Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV-honda2sjbriosuvindia1660x330.jpg
Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV-honda2sjbriosuvindia3.jpg

Although based on the Brio, the design language inside-out will be significantly different. There will be plenty of not-so-visible part sharing for cost benefits, but the new SUV will have a redesigned skin to stand out compared to the Brio, Amaze & Mobilio.

Quote:
This new SUV was also reported to be revealed to top dealers in Japan. This new SUV from Honda might not tuck in under the sub-4 metre category since it is being rumoured to be a 7-seater version. This new SUV will not rival the Ford EcoSport, but fight the Renault Duster, Mahindra XUV5OO & the likes.

The new SUV will be built around the Mobilio platform & will get larger wheels, full body cladding, front & rear skid plates, etc.

Powering the Brio-based 2SJ compact-SUV will be the same 1.5L, i-VTEC petrol & 1.5L, i-DTEC diesel motors which are plonked in the City sedan. Although an SUV, the 2SJ will not be offered in 4WD guise. Both the petrol & diesel models will be matched to manual gearboxes.

What’s interesting is that the SUV will alo get a 1.5L, i-VTEC petrol matched to a CVT gearbox
http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/0...codenamed-2sj/

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd June 2015 at 19:06.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Brio-based SUV from Honda will be making it's debut at the 2016 Delhi Motor Show. It will NOT be a sub-4 metre SUV, and might come with BOTH 5-seater and 7-seater configurations.
I do hope that they sort out the underpinnings of this platform before they come out with the SUV. I still feel, it was due to this platform and wheelbase that Honda could not position the seating height of 3rd row in Mobilio correctly. The fuel tank underneath the platform left less room to position seats more upright which would have caused less head room. As a result, sitting in 3rd row for full adult is slightly difficult for long drives with knee pointing skywards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I just wonder why Honda is abusing the Brio platform for us Indians. When Hyundai is using I20 for its compact SUV, why cant Honda use the HRV based on Jazz?

The width of these Brios based vehicles is a limitation and it would not help sitting comfortable in the 3rd row.
Agreed, that the width of Brio has its limitation. However, it can be re-engineered to a certain extent like MSIL did it with Ertiga using extended platform of Swift.

IMO, using the platform of HRV in India might need fresh investments as BRIO platform can be used with less investment cost.

Last edited by utsav1303 : 3rd June 2015 at 19:22.
utsav1303 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 12:25   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Imports 2SJ Brio Compact SUV To India from Thailand. This will substitute the Vezel for certain Emerging markets.

The SUV could be displayed at the Auto Exp0 2016 for a 2017 launch.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/06/car...act-suv-india/

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th June 2015 at 12:29.
Old 4th June 2015, 13:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

I think Honda is probably misplacing their bets on the Brio-based SUV.

They have an amazing product like the Vezel which should fit nicely in the 15L SUV category and sit above the Duster. I think they are underestimating the aspirational value and purchasing power of Indians. If the would have brought the Vezel to India, I would have been in queue for it and I am sure that I won't be the only person.

I am not at all hopeful of this unless Honda does some serious re-engineering to improve the interiors as well as exteriors. If it's anywhere close to the Mobilio, then it's dead at launch. I think they should go for a drastic change to the front fascia as well so that there is no resemblance to the Mobilio/Brio.
Old 4th June 2015, 13:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda Imports 2SJ Brio Compact SUV To India from Thailand. This will substitute the Vezel for certain Emerging markets.

The SUV could be displayed at the Auto Exp0 2016 for a 2017 launch.
Is it possible that Honda has planned to advance the launch of this Brio based SUV by a bit? Considering the fact that they are already in the testing phase and India will be the primary market, I guess they will have a global unveil in India. Could it be possible that they will display the car inn Auto Expo 2016 and launch in mid to late-2016 once the Tapukara expanded facility is fully operational? Honda is already late to the party and 2017 launch seems way too late to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think Honda is probably misplacing their bets on the Brio-based SUV.

They have an amazing product like the Vezel which should fit nicely in the 15L SUV category and sit above the Duster. I think they are underestimating the aspirational value and purchasing power of Indians. If the would have brought the Vezel to India, I would have been in queue for it and I am sure that I won't be the only person.
Vezel / HRV is a wonderful looking mini-SUV but as you said, it will sit above duster. Now with S-Cross to sit below and at par with Duster and also challenging the Ecosport and with Creta (iX25) also sitting at par and slightly above Duster - Vezel will have a tough time sitting above Duster - it might just do a Jazz Ver 1.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am not at all hopeful of this unless Honda does some serious re-engineering to improve the interiors as well as exteriors. If it's anywhere close to the Mobilio, then it's dead at launch. I think they should go for a drastic change to the front fascia as well so that there is no resemblance to the Mobilio/Brio.
Totally agree to this. If the product is anything that looks like the rendering shown in Motorbeam, it is going to bomb big time. Honda should not be stuck with a single design - like how Tata is stuck with the Indica design. To make the new SUV compete with the butch looking Duster, Cool but macho Creta, the car should have a SUV-ish look - a longer bonnet and a more flat nose. Interiors need a total overhaul as well. And these interiors can be carried over to the face-lifts of Brio, Amaze and Mobilio also.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 13:49   #68
@KP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post

Vezel / HRV is a wonderful looking mini-SUV but as you said, it will sit above duster. Now with S-Cross to sit below and at par with Duster and also challenging the Ecosport and with Creta (iX25) also sitting at par and slightly above Duster - Vezel will have a tough time sitting above Duster - it might just do a Jazz Ver 1.0.
Exactly why I feel Mobilio was launched with wrong pricing strategy. I mean, the MUV segment is good - but Honda should've got Vezel to be on par with Duster/Terrano/Creta/S-Cross and pitched Mobilio between Jazz and Vezel - on par with Ertiga and am sure it would've been an entirely different story now.
  • Brio
  • Amaze/Jazz
  • Mobilio/City
  • Vezel
in that order would've been a great line-up for Honda. And yeah, no need of this Brio-based SUV
Old 4th June 2015, 13:51   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Is it possible that Honda has planned to advance the launch of this Brio based SUV by a bit? Considering the fact that they are already in the testing phase and India will be the primary market, I guess they will have a global unveil in India. Could it be possible that they will display the car inn Auto Expo 2016 and launch in mid to late-2016 once the Tapukara expanded facility is fully operational? Honda is already late to the party and 2017 launch seems way too late to me.
Proto typed units were screened to an elite group of journalists after which 3 units are sent to India for development/localization.
Though called the Brio platform will be more based on the Mobilio - parts sharing and localization.
Yes this is rumored to be displayed in Auto Expo 2016 but launch is expected in early 2017.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 14:13   #70
BHPian

I guess the next step would be Brio based commercial vehicles. Aren't they going too far with the same platform? Brio based this, Brio based that!
Old 9th June 2015, 14:21   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

The Brio-based SUV, codenamed "2SJ", will be getting a CVT-powered box for it's 1.5L i-VTEC 2WD variants.

3 such units have been imported by Honda, which confirms this bit of news.

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 20:06   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda 2SJ SUV (Brio-based) will be costlier than Mobilio.

Honda’s upcoming compact crossover SUV (codenamed 2SJ) based on Brio platform is getting ready to make its world premiere at Auto Expo 2016 in February.

Honda 2SJ SUV will be Honda’s answer to Renault Duster and upcoming Hyundai Creta and Maruti's S Cross. New Honda compact crossover will have India and Indonesia as its primary markets.

Quote:
Quote:
market positioning in India will be higher than Mobilio. In Indonesia, the price point of Brio-basedMobilio’s 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engine powertrain lineup would be carried forward.
Mobilio’s 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engine powertrain lineup would be carried forward.

http://www.rushlane.com/honda-2sj-su...-12154530.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th June 2015 at 20:07.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 23:43   #73
Senior - BHPian

If this is going to be priced above mobilio, it has failure written all over it. If they are using the same Brio based dashboard and interiors, it has lost the race even before it started.

They only way they can win is to offer Jazz link interiors on the SUV and trickle them to Brio/Amaze/Mobilio/ etc and see the money come in.
Old 17th June 2015, 13:54   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda BR-V, the likely name for compact SUV .

Quote:
Honda's BR-V is likely to be the name for the Brio-based SUV that will be launched in the second half of 2016. Honda’s Thailand R&D centre has been working on the BR-V and they will be done with the complete testing by this year end
Honda BR-V will be manufactured in India and will be exported to South Africa from India, just like the new Jazz.

http://motoroctane.com/news/14576-ho...t-suv-breaking

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th June 2015 at 13:56.
Old 17th June 2015, 14:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

If they base this on Brio and change the interiors, good thing could be that Brio and other vehicles based on Brio like Mobilio could also get updated.

Else all of them will go down. They are always looking for 'spend minimum, make maximum' on the expenditure part.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks