Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 07:36   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors introduces 1.2L turbo-petrol Revotron engine

so may posts harping about torque starting at 1750rpm, big fundamental mistake. 14.x kg torque between 1750 and 3500 rpm, does not mean that there is 0 torque before 1750rpm or after 3500rpm. Also talking about lag etc, no one will know or can predict a lag, just based on engine specs. Once this is mated to a gear box and a car, then we can predict how this engine can behave.
At present it is a mere platform which may be flexible enough to see a wide variety of applications by TML. Also being a TC engine, it is easily tunable compared to a NA engine.
Big thing about this engine is, it is home grown by TML, they don't have to produce royalty to some other engine maker or their foreign collaborators. This should translate to cheaper cars.
apachelongbow is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 00:39   #107
BHPian

I equate Tata Motors to a Rahul Dravid, every time it is written off, it comes back stronger than before. It may not carry the charisma of a better marketed brand, neither the perceived quality of a more flamboyant brand, but sure as hell it keeps chipping away at the target in a determined way.

When the Tata's launched the 407 - a lot of people felt, c'mon we have some japanese brands this crude piece of metal wont work - but work it did. Maybe not as reliably as the Japanese one, but was engineered (or say over engineered) to last the distance fighting every bit of the way.

Then came the Ace - Another success story - no other commercial manufacturer dared to fill that space.

A lot of people forget that the much maligned 'Indica' was the first VFM diesel car in India - a car which fulfilled its promise - More car per car. So much so that till the Swift Diesel (incidentally with a Fiat powertrain) came up, it was pretty much the largest selling diesel small car. Even today the Indica remains a very VFM offering. Go to the rural parts of this vast country and you will find many a local mango man swearing by its toughness.

The first (and may I say second) generation of diesels made by most manufacturers did not stand the test of time (current number 2 is an example) and in many cases were found wanting. A car from a Czech manufacturer sounded like a tractor but yes the Indica 475 block NA Diesel in a humble Indica proved better .

It is said that true class is only when a 100 people try pushing you down and still you stand true, washing the muck off and rise again.

A lot of the posters are writing about "Oh TATA just made an 85 Bhp engine" why don't you see if India's largest manufacturer (seller) of cars made a diesel even close to the 1.4 DICoR. Or said very famously " A car cannot be made in One lakh".

Sorry for the over the top rhetoric, but on this Republic day, I again pledge to keep my country's flag high, to respect what a company which stands by its smallest employees delivers in an age when 'lay-offs' are as common as 'hiring sprees' - for people who will retire without 'pensions' but dreams that their Unit Linked Pension policies stand the test of time (read - offer returns that are proposed at maturity).

TATA Motors is a company which I believe stands for what we are today - a confused country - but fighting for our space in the BIG league. Enuff said.

/Sorry for the OT/ - I am one of the ULIP Pension generation

Last edited by torquecurve : 26th January 2014 at 00:40.
torquecurve is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:08   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just read in ACI that Tata considers the Revotron engines as a stop-gap until the full-aluminium motors follow. If that is true, I am

What Christmas was Tata waiting for all these years? Why is everything a stop-gap arrangement with them?

The Sumo Grande was a stop-gap until their all-new <10 lakh MUV launches.
The Safari Storme was a stop-gap until their all-new 10 lakh SUV launches.
The old 3.0L DICOR was a stop-gap until their 2.2L common-rail was launched.

The list goes on & on.

I can't believe Tata Motors thinks it can get away with this lazy attitude in this fierce market.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:21   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just read in ACI that Tata considers the Revotron engines as a stop-gap until the full-aluminium motors follow. If that is true, I am

What Christmas was Tata waiting for all these years? Why is everything a stop-gap arrangement with them?
Dont know how many ++ I should give for the comment. What is not stop-gap in TM? In the end they will have hundred variant combinations with a range of engines and the features just get growing as they see sales falling. I wonder how they manage to stock spare parts for the number of variants they offer. The headlamps, tail lamps, accessories etc keep on getting updated. Now if the Revotron is really stop gap, have they really done enough of R&D on this one? I at least thought that this, being Tatas latest introduction and an attractive one no doubt would have been developed taking into consideration long term plans. And in that way, a serious amount of effort would have gone into its making.

If it is a stop gap arrangement, I dont think the company would have been willing to invest much resources on this one. People may feel this is like commenting too early, but looking at their track record, I am now worried.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 21:42   #110
gemi_kk

Tata's early entrance into the 4 wheeler market when there weren't any actual competitors paid big rewards for them in the past. This ain't going to happen in future.

With the amount of fierce competition across segments, where every manufacturer is trying so hard to enter multiple segments with their new and different/good looking products. Tata's behaviour is indeed careless. And their act seems like they are digging multiple graves for their miserable death which might happen any time in future.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 2nd May 2014 at 21:46.
  (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 21:48   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

In many cases the hurriedly done stop-gaps have fared better than the carefully planned products. The original Indica CS comes to mind. The 3.0 Dicor was actually considered better than the 'clean sheet' 2.2 it was replaced by

Their carefully planned & engineeried product was the Aria.... 17 lakh 4x4 Van that bombed. Same with the Nano
Quote:
I can't believe Tata Motors thinks it can get away with this lazy attitude in this fierce market.
Not sure if its laziness, but they have completely lost the ability to gauge the pulse of the market. On top of that, their execution is poor as well

Last edited by Mpower : 4th May 2014 at 20:52.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 19:51   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

In a bid to capture public interest and to provide a platform for the pre-launch of the Bolt hatchback & the Zest notchback, Tata Motors has launched special "Revotron Labs" at city malls across 15 cities in India.

These "labs" are designed to be customer-interactive and provide awareness about the advantages of the Revotron engine, it's salient features and benefits to the customer, and a virtual experience of the engine's 3 modes of driving - City, Eco & Sport.

Quote:
The visitors can also play the ‘Revotron Challenge’ game and click pictures with the virtual Narain Karthikeyan at the Lab. Further, Tata Motors will install hi-tech Revotron holograms at 75 dealerships across the country which will provide a virtual tour of the engine.

The 1.2-litre four-cylinder Revotron turbo petrol motor puts out 90 PS and 140 Nm of torque.

SOURCE - IAB

Official Press Release

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th July 2014 at 19:55.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 22:09   #113
Senior - BHPian

Geek squad!! They could have gone for some other name.
Old 5th July 2014, 01:45   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Geek squad!! They could have gone for some other name.
Maybe this was all conceptualised by (Late) Karl Slym and these guys didn't exactly get the idea 100%.
Old 5th July 2014, 10:52   #115
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, 85 bhp from a turbo petrol is just sad, because when you have economy, city and power modes in the car, you might as well have different power ratings for each one of them ( hey its turbocharged you can do that )

People are saying the gearbox can't handle anything more than 14 kgm of torque, if you are serious about the market, you have taken little effort ( can be called little effort only, anyone can bolt on a turbo to an old engine and make power, tuners do it in a week or two's time), why not make a gearbox with stronger internals to take more power and torque ? ( Its not that difficult, not one bit, a tuner can do it too )

The petrol looks like a half hearted attempt, maybe they lost steam midway through the project or the enthusiasm to take this to new heights.
Old 5th July 2014, 10:56   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Firstly, 85 bhp from a turbo petrol is just sad, because when you have economy, city and power modes in the car, you might as well have different power ratings for each one of them ( hey its turbocharged you can do that )
Please read this before dissing Revotron right away. Not just BHP, Torque & how it is delivered also matter.

Right now, ONLY the Polo 1.2 TSi is better.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-370051.aspx
Old 5th July 2014, 12:23   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Please read this before dissing Revotron right away. Not just BHP, Torque & how it is delivered also matter.

Right now, ONLY the Polo 1.2 TSi is better.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-370051.aspx

Baba, I have read all that and I know the torque delivery matters, but 'HOW MUCH' torque also matters. When u have 3 modes in the car, why not make the higher modes have more power and torque? Opps, Tata did not want to take the trouble of making a new gearbox.

Only the polo TSI is better because its only the the turbo petrol in the hatchback range. So when there are only 2 contenders, the only part is irrelevant.

When you don't do something drastically different in the market, u can't expect to sell. The Zest with an AMT and diesel and its design is different and I can smell it from here I ll sell, but this, Not so.
Old 5th July 2014, 13:30   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Only the polo TSI is better because its only the the turbo petrol in the hatchback range. So when there are only 2 contenders, the only part is irrelevant.
Polo TSi costs 9.5 lakhs OTR in Mumbai, if Bolt AMT Revotron is priced at around 8 lakhs OTR, I would buy the latter any day.
Old 5th July 2014, 13:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Polo TSi costs 9.5 lakhs OTR in Mumbai, if Bolt AMT Revotron is priced at around 8 lakhs OTR, I would buy the latter any day.
At 8 lakhs OTR on the road with AMT, a Bolt Revotron is suicide for this car. People will prefer a Swift Diesel ZDI over this anytime, anyday.
Old 5th July 2014, 14:14   #120
BHPian

Quote:
At 8 lakhs OTR on the road with AMT, a Bolt Revotron is suicide for this car. People will prefer a Swift Diesel ZDI over this anytime, anyday.
Bolt Revotron manual Revotron at 7 lakhs.. AMT Revotron at 8 lakhs is a better option than Swift Zxi. New Swift Zdi is likely to be upwards of 8.5 lakhs. AMT Swift Zdi or Zxi will be at least a lakh higher than Bolt top end AMT version, IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks