Old 8th February 2014, 08:35   #46

Nice and sweet. Fiats always fantasy me somehow. Whether its the 500 or the Abarth, they look extraordinarily futuristic.

Btw, any idea how much this is going to cost in india ? I would seriously consider getting one for me when i get back to india sometime next year.
Old 8th February 2014, 09:29   #47

Re: Fiat @ Auto Expo 2014

The updated Punto is very welcome and so are the interiors on the new Linea. However I think Fiat, the style conscious italians that they are have chosen colours well for the display cars as we have all seen that out in the light, the new Linea looks pretty rubbish as far as the exteriors go.
Never thought I'd say this but that little jacked up Punto is the only mini SUV that seems to look good. Me being the sensible car enthusiast that I am, I would still buy a hatchback or a sedan but that would make me think long and hard.

The 500 ought to be priced between 10-15 lakhs if they want to make an impact. Heard Fiat is thinking of local assembly? Would the CKD route enable them to price it like so?
Old 8th February 2014, 09:35   #48

Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Lost opportunity for Fiat on the Automated Manual Transmission. They definitely had the opportunity of being the first mover in the market. But they chose otherwise.
I don't think it's really a lost opportunity. AMT is not a new technology, and globally Fiat and other brands are moving out of it to high end automatics. What they need is new models freshen up the interest in the brand. I do think that the lineup in the expo is pretty decent, but they should have added something like the Panda into their range.

Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
First look of the new Linea
Thanks for the report Karthik. That indeed looks like a much needed update, especially the interiors. Have they provided any additional storage spaces?
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 10:55   #49

Really like the new bumper and the air dam of the face lifted Linea. It looks very sharp and will be stunning in black. Sorry about the old Verna grille and the position change for the rear number plate. Fiat really didn't need to change that. The simple and solid boot was one of the highlights of the Linea.

And the plastics used in the dash and the fit and finish have improved considerably.
Old 8th February 2014, 15:05   #50

Thanks for the report Karthik. That indeed looks like a much needed update, especially the interiors. Have they provided any additional storage spaces?
Visibly there is none, except the one on the central console above the aircon vents. The doors are unchanged from the previous model, atleast expected Fiat to add bottle holders on the doors. The Avventure has bottle holders on the front doors atleast.

Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The updated Punto is very welcome and so are the interiors on the new Linea.
What is the updation on the Punto. No one has spoken anything about any changes in the Punto.

The interiors of the Linea is a welcome change as also the addition of the cruise control. The new Linea looks good to me specially the colours of the display cars are eye catching.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 22:19   #51

The car (Lines) now reminds me of the Esteem. I completely loved the white Abarth 500 though.
Fiat @ Auto Expo 2014-marutiesteemfront.jpg  

Old 8th February 2014, 22:44   #52

Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
What is the updation on the Punto. No one has spoken anything about any changes in the Punto.
Fiat did not unveil the New Punto in this Auto show. They will be announcing/launching the new Punto very soon as per their MD Mr. Nagesh Basavanhalli. Have a look at the video posted by me couple of pages back.
Old 9th February 2014, 00:10   #53

Fiat had an interesting stall at the expo. On display were the Punto, Linea classic, facelifted Linea, Avventura CUV concept and the Abarth 500 Esseesse. There was no sign of Jeep, Chrysler, Abarth Punto or even the usual eye candy crowd pullers such as Alfa Romeo or Bravo.
Thanks Karthik for your detailed comparison.
I personally like exterior design both front & rear of new Linea, at least in the pictures. Interiors are a huge improvement as well and looks quite upmarket.

Want do you feel about Avventura.

How does that spare wheel looks in person. Looking at the pictures I feel it's quite bulky & does not gel with the otherwise stunning looks.

IMO Fiat has played smart by not showing new Punto/Punto Evo at the expo, instead have showcased Avventura, which I guess is Evo minus those cladding & redesigned bumpers, targeting the ever increasing popularity & demand for compact SUVs.

Last edited by S.MJet : 9th February 2014 at 00:22.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 09:33   #54

Not sure if this was shared already. The advert of New Linea.

rameshnanda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 10:19   #55

Though the Abarth 500 looked great form the exteriors, but i found it really funny that i couldn't even accommodate myself (6 ft) in the car.
I just went & casually entered from the passenger side, & hurt my self with my knees hitting the dash
That wasn't enough, my friend was at the back seat and when i tried to adjust my seat backwards, the poor guy yelled at me in pain..

Something similar happened with the BMW 1 series..
Fiat @ Auto Expo 2014-image1795202319.jpg  

Fiat @ Auto Expo 2014-image525856054.jpg  

Fiat @ Auto Expo 2014-image1477033065.jpg  

satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 11:50   #56

No sign of Punto Abarth? Not even the MJD 1.6 nor the twin Air? Fiat needs to learn a few tricks from VW India.
Old 9th February 2014, 12:04   #57

I headed towards the facelifted Linea to check what has changed on the outside and inside. As a Linea owner, here are a few initial impressions vis-a-vis the old Linea:
But here's the ugly side of that change in indicator position: the empty old indicator cavity now houses a badge telling you which engine version of the Linea this is - T-Jet or MultiJet!
First thing I noticed when I got into the car was the fresh looking interiors and new ICE
The best part is the absence of any crude plastics or ugly panel gaps on the inside panels.
Karthik,
No better person than you to compare the two versions of the Linea. IMO the HU looks very basic, hope atleast the speakers get upgraded in the facelifted version. The engine badging in the place of turn indicators look totally out of place. Also no extra cubby holes, the usual ones only can be seen. Do the doors have the 1 lts bottle holding provision?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:15   #58

Like most folks on this forum, I loved the Avventure.
If the Fiat folks could announce some sort of launch date, I am ready to stay committed and wait for it.
The only doubt is whether the model on display will make it to production.

Regarding the new Linea.
I think the present model T Jet looks better.
The defining bit about Linea was its slightly retro looks.
U find the same pattern on the Punto and Abarth.
I feel the combination to aim for was that the retro, unique looks were sustained and the interiors made upper premium sorts.
However, Fiat seems intent on dissolving what is unique to its styling. Now, the Linea is set to lose the market that was driven by the classical, retro styling that is not found on any other brand at that price range. As usual, expect Fiat to do something too little or too much but never hit the target
Old 9th February 2014, 12:16   #59

Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
How does that spare wheel looks in person. Looking at the pictures I feel it's quite bulky & does not gel with the otherwise stunning looks..
Spare wheel does not look bad at all IMO. I guess most of them will be sold only because of the presence of this wheel. Personally, I would prefer one without the wheel on the hatch.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:40   #60

If you listen carefully to each and every word of that Fiat Linea Commercial, you certainly will feel proud if you own one. Still one of the best cars available to buy in this country.

"If you still like driving, we are still ahead" - Fiat Linea 2014
Naparajito is offline   (2) Thanks