Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2013, 14:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?

Over the last two and a half years and 40k kms with my Linea, I've driven at some speed over uneven surfaces and cornered rather hard on those days when I've felt like a boy racer. My front suspension has bottomed out some 4-5 times too. Though I'm not able to perceive any change in ride quality or hear any unusual sounds, I am worried about my suspensions. Especially the front, which take maximum beating with my driving style. Got the suspensions checked at 30k service and they couldn't find any fault. Planning to get them checked again at 45k.
Old 6th July 2013, 16:45   #77
BHPian

My fiat punto is mjd is almost three years old and have been driven 80k kms .The front RHS shock absorber was changed at 40k and that too under warranty similarly front struts were changed once at 45k kms .Now it has started producing khat khat sound over uneven roads indicating thats the suspension needs attention.So far the car has been exposed to lot of abuse by our extended acquaintances,the reason behind the premature failures of the various parts of suspension set up
regards
praveen singh
Old 6th July 2013, 18:33   #78
BHPian

My swift vdi's shocks lasted 1 lakh kilometres. Only the rear shocks showed oil leak by then. So I decided to change all the 4 shocks together.i was surprised to find that it costs only 10000rs to replace all four, inclusive of labour. There were lots of rattling sound from the front end of the car earlier. I expected it to go after changing the shocks, unfortunately it still exist. SA blames the culprit is the power steering box which needs replacement at a cost of 25k.
Old 29th November 2013, 20:49   #79

My ANHC VMT is 4 years old now and has done 80K on Gurgaon / NCR roads. The tyres are not yet replaced and still have about 1/3 tread remaining (that probably reflects absence of any negative impact from the suspension). Shock absorbers also are stock ones...

The only problem I am facing though is that the car's underbody now scapes few of those speed-breakers it never did in the past - not sure if its a suspension issue. Would certainly appreciate any feedback from the forum and recommended solution.

I am looking for some inputs on whether to go for tyre replacement (upgrade) as I read somewhere GTO mentioned that tyres need replacement post 50K. Also whether its advisable to replace the Shockers too - I do not see any issue in particular though...

Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 00:33   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu1234 View Post
My ANHC VMT is 4 years old now and has done 80K on Gurgaon / NCR roads. The tyres are not yet replaced and still have about 1/3 tread remaining (that probably reflects absence of any negative impact from the suspension). Shock absorbers also are stock ones...

The only problem I am facing though is that the car's underbody now scapes few of those speed-breakers it never did in the past - not sure if its a suspension issue. Would certainly appreciate any feedback from the forum and recommended solution.

I am looking for some inputs on whether to go for tyre replacement (upgrade) as I read somewhere GTO mentioned that tyres need replacement post 50K. Also whether its advisable to replace the Shockers too - I do not see any issue in particular though...

Thanks
Good to hear that your stock suspension are still working fine. Even if the underbody scrapes sometimes, there is no need for suspension replacement coz if there would have been any issues with the suspension, then it would have surely eaten up the tyres plus there would be some kinda noise over rough patches too. As for the tyres, you should get a new set for all the four wheels coz its run much more than its stipulated life. By the way which brand of tyre are you running right now?
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 11:30   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
1. If your car bottoms out now and did not in past it points to weakening of the springs. If possible get them checked, else change them.

2. Shock absorbers are dampers, that is they damp the oscillations which would occur if only springs were there. To check their effectiveness, just press one corner of the car; at a time; so that it is depressed and then release if abruptly. If the car rises smoothly then the shock absorbers are fine. In case the car rises very slowly or bounces a bit, then they need replacement.

3. Tyre's rubber deteriorates in the sun, so after five or six years the rubber becomes hard and brittle and the tyres require change as hard rubber means bad breaking. Regarding tread depth - the more the better, that said for proper braking there should be at least 3mm tread and that at the most worn out portion. So change tyres every five years or when the tread depth wears down to 3mm
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 11:47   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Good to hear that your stock suspension are still working fine. Even if the underbody scrapes sometimes, there is no need for suspension replacement coz if there would have been any issues with the suspension, then it would have surely eaten up the tyres plus there would be some kinda noise over rough patches too. As for the tyres, you should get a new set for all the four wheels coz its run much more than its stipulated life. By the way which brand of tyre are you running right now?
I have the stock Michelin XM1 175/65/15 that came with the car. On replacement, I visited a tyre shop sometime back and the guy told me that I don't need to as they still look good. I guess its time to get a new set given that these ones have done the duty longer than they are supposed to...

Any recommendation on tyre upgrade (brand / specifications would be helpful I am looking at low road noice and better ride quality as the criteria.
Old 30th November 2013, 11:48   #83
BHPian

Does the suspension life increase as the car segment goes higher or stays the same at 40/50k? Would love to see a comparison of suspension life between different car segments given the same driving situation and style.
Old 30th November 2013, 11:54   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. If your car bottoms out now and did not in past it points to weakening of the springs. If possible get them checked, else change them.
Thanks. Is Honda ASS a good place to get the springs checked? Would you have any idea of the cost for replacement in case needed...
Old 30th November 2013, 13:15   #85
Senior - BHPian

Got my swift's first bush change at 79000 km. Lower arm's were changed too along with stabilizer bar. This is the first time the suspension has ever been touched, I am a very careful driver over bad roads. I thought after the Ladakh trip, the suspension will need a once over, but guess what, the suspension overhaul came after 25000 km from getting back from Leh.
Old 30th November 2013, 13:43   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Got my swift's first bush change at 79000 km. Lower arm's were changed too along with stabilizer bar. This is the first time the suspension has ever been touched, I am a very careful driver over bad roads. I thought after the Ladakh trip, the suspension will need a once over, but guess what, the suspension overhaul came after 25000 km from getting back from Leh.

Hi humyum

Did u change the shock absorbers as well?

OT:
As you have mentioned that even after the ladakh trip, the suspension lasted for 25k kms more, would like to ask you about the problems you have faced while taking the swift there. Were there any major hits on the underbody? What were the problems you faced and how was your overall experience with the swift? I too am planning for a ladakh trip in my figo diesel (or innova if possible). What are the precautions to be taken? Would like to have a word of advice from you.

Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 14:36   #87
BANNED

My car (Ritz VDi, 2010, Dec model) has clocked 106171 kms till date and I have never touched the suspension nor have heard any unusual sounds from down under.

I hope it remains the same for another 2-3 months.

Anurag.
Old 30th November 2013, 15:24   #88
BHPian

Quote:

Faced the exact same situation with my 3 year old city too. Tire replacement has definitely helped. Car doesn't scrape as frequently as earlier. Although I did go for 185 without adjusting for the aspect ratio, since it's still within tolerable limits.
So I would strongly suggest 185/65. Went for xm2 btw. Your stock tires are good at even 80k? That's impressive...

Last edited by avisidhu : 30th November 2013 at 15:25.
Old 30th November 2013, 21:07   #89
BANNED

Quote:
My ANHC VMT is 4 years old now and has done 80K on Gurgaon / NCR roads. The tyres are not yet replaced and still have about 1/3 tread remaining.
Isn't 4 years a bit long for the same tyres? The rubber compound will wear out and not be as it should do it is best to change the tyres even if threads are on it.

Quote:
The only problem I am facing though is that the car's underbody now scapes few of those speed-breakers it never did in the past - not sure if its a suspension issue.
I guess the suspension is reaching its end. IMO, go over each tyre and with your body weight press down on the body and see how the suspension responds. If the rebound is smooth then the suspension is fine. If the rebound is slow and jerky then the springs are kaput.

Quote:
I am looking for some inputs on whether to go for tyre replacement (upgrade)
Please change the tyres ASAP. Go for 185/65 Michelin XM2 as a replacement.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 21:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have never touched the suspension nor have heard any unusual sounds from down under.
After reading your post, i enquired about the suspension maintenance of Ritz Vdi from a friendly mechanic(he owns a Bosch authorized service centre and a Maruti ASC).

His Vdi has done around 70k, and he is not always kind to the accelerator and the brakes, yet he hasn't touched the suspension,except for a bush(cost:Rs.25).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks