Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 22:39   #166

Re: Your new cars suspension: How long should it last on our roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
MY Honda Jazz is 9 years and 90K kms old. The last 10K kms I have driven over absolutely terrible roads or non-existent roads due to lots of road construction activities going on in my neighbourhood.
I feel the front suspension is gone - there is excessive bounciness whenever I cross a speedbreaker or pothole, the front end feels very loose., the car scrapes more often than earlier. I am thinking it's high time to replace the front suspension.

Now, I am not a technical person but I do know that the suspension is composed of several different parts. How do I know which parts need to be changed? I am sure it will cost a lot at Honda A.S.S. Should I go to another garage to get it checked? Is it safe to get it replaced from an outside garage considering it is a very critical component?

ADIMICRA, I have the same issue with my 2011 Model Honda Jazz.
The Honda Service representatives have suggested to get the whole suspension kit replaced with new ones and have quoted around 40k for the change.
Are there no other options?
Just wanted to check with you on what was done with your car's suspension issues.
Any suggestions in this regard are appreicated.
RajeshAluru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 07:15   #167
BHPian

Recently I acquired a 2017 petrol Ciaz model of a friend at Re 300,000/-. The car is in good condition, in so far as engine, body and interiors are concerned. The suspension however requires work.

Now as per the friend he had the front shockers replaced around October 2019 before he moved out. And the car has not been used thereafter much. Now I have the following issues with the suspension of the car -

1. While passing a speed breaker, the front bottoms out.
2. The car sways from side to side while say, passing a rumble strip.
3. Usual rattles related to worn suspension.
4. The rear shocks look to be due for replacement too.

What all things should I be looking at for 1 and 2? What can be done to stiffen the ride?
Old 15th February 2022, 22:11   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
What all things should I be looking at for 1 and 2? What can be done to stiffen the ride?
Replace shocks and bushings. For Suzuki, parts are relatively cheap. There are aftermarket suspensions from Gabriel which can stiffen the ride.
Old 16th February 2022, 11:20   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Recently I acquired a 2017 petrol Ciaz model of a friend at Re 300,000/-. The car is in good condition, in so far as engine, body and interiors are concerned. The suspension however requires work.

Now as per the friend he had the front shockers replaced around October 2019 before he moved out. And the car has not been used thereafter much. Now I have the following issues with the suspension of the car -

1. While passing a speed breaker, the front bottoms out.
2. The car sways from side to side while say, passing a rumble strip.
3. Usual rattles related to worn suspension.
4. The rear shocks look to be due for replacement too.

1. Bottom out may be due to a) Weak Spring and/or b) Worn out shock absorbers.

2. Swaying is due to worn out suspension, mainly rubber parts, but at times metal bushing.

3. If parts are worn, there will be play, hence rattles.

To stiffen the ride you can get stiffer springs and/or stiffer shock absorbers. There are performance shocks used for rally that are stiffer than normal ones.

In general, any FNG will be able to check for worn suspension. Whether you use FNG or authorised dealer is your call.
Old 17th February 2022, 16:45   #170
BHPian

There was play in my car's (Chevrolet Sail, 30000 km) wheel during a wheel alignment and I was told to replace the mounting bushes. The play was resolved by replacing mounting bushes but the ride is so bumpy now as if the shocks have given up. Have anyone else faced this before?

Also, how are Monroe aftermarket shocks available through boodmo?
Old 20th July 2022, 14:58   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad experience with Monroe

Had a bad experience with Monroe front shock absorber on my i20. Had replaced both with Monroe bought from local spare shop. The front left started making mild sound within 2000 kms of install. I ignored the thinking it is a minor thing. The sound increased over time and the front left started to make thud noise over speed breakers. Last service, asked the HASS to check the sound and they said the shock absorber is shot. The strut has no rebound action after compression.

Feels to realize that I drove on a faulty shock absorber for over 6000 kms. Not to mention that the shock absorber went bad within 2000 kms. Since it is more than 6 months since I purchased the Monroe shocks, cannot even claim warranty. Replaced the faulty one with OEM and wrote off the one Monroe strut as a loss.

Will stick to OEM shocks in future. Atleast I get 6 months warranty and peace of mind. Now one side is OEM strut and the other side is Monroe.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks