Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2014, 18:48   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie
The way you say, it sounds as if these are all some super rich people trying to cheat the govt. But in reality is it the case. They would all be law abiding citizens in all regards, ready to pay any amount of taxes to live a peaceful life. Hence it would be good if you could look at things from their perspective also.
This drive is not happening for the first time. In the last 5 odd years it has happened at least twice. And in both cases I had my own friends/colleagues who got caught. One of my relatives rushed back with his car to KL . All these folks had used their non-KA vehicles for nearly 2-3 years. They were really not bothered. For them there was nothing like a tax due to KA government. It is people's tendency to ignore any payment due to the govt., if it does not cause them immediate discomfort. We may pay rent, elec.bills, water bills etc. on time, mainly because of the immediate discomfort factor. So I really don't think people would take pains to get the vehicle re-registered etc., after paying the tax (even if it not LTT). But when there is an active drive against non-KA vehicles, all and sundry would line up to get vehicle re-registered.

It is Friday evening, so let me rush home . I guess we are now in fairly entrenched positions. People who do not want to pay LTT have their reasons, where as others who want every one to pay same LTT taxes have their stand. But at present the RTO folks are the winners !!!

Last edited by aah78 : 18th July 2014 at 21:31. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 19:05   #737
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
So cmon guys we should all be in the same page. We all are doing our level best to live a good life and give our families the best we could. Bangalore being the IT hub with better job opportunities we all landed here. No one wants to cheat karnataka govt or use things for free. KA car owners getting frustrated over sharing the road with non-KA car owners is understandable considering the higher road taxes paid by the former. But if the annual tax system is in place, would it not be a formidable solution to this problem. Rather than making them pay a huge amount in the name of LTT and throwing their life into a financial crisis.

FundaG
No one is forcing them to pay LTT in KA for the life time, they should have done the basics correct, when they moved to Bangalore, they should have taken NOC and applied for Tax refund, by this time most of them would have got that, but they did not follow the law and now suddenly they are putting the blame on RTO that they got only weeks time to pay tax..

We all could have done the same when we moved to Bangalore but we invested little extra to get a peace of mind. And by no imagination of mind I consider myself rich. So guys those who are blaming the Karnataka RTO, please think again, its your home state RTO who did not refund you the money not Karnataka RTO, so if anyone is to be blamed its your home state.
Old 18th July 2014, 19:13   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
All these folks had used their non-KA vehicles for nearly 2-3 years. They were really not bothered. For them there was nothing like a tax due to KA government. It is people's tendency to ignore any payment due to the govt., if it does not cause them immediate discomfort.
Agree to that point. I believe it is the normal human tendency or more correctly a middle class Indian tendency. Have seen few outstation cars while I used to work in Technopark in tvm, mostly KA and TN. And I dont think they also bothered to pay the LTT out there and with no similar RTO drives, would not even dream about it. So basically no out-station owner would voluntarily walk into the RTO and pay the taxes until he is faced with such a situation. And the main reason being the hefty amount and delayed or no refund, rather than anything else.

Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, its high time we tried to break some old laws. Why not a provision to pay annual tax for all vehicles local or outstation. India has changed a lot from the days these laws were actually drafted. Nothing can be done for the current cars on the road. But this provision can be extended to even new vehicles brought in KA or any state for that matter . And an interest can be charged for annual payment like an emi vs one time LTT payment. Understand this is going to be major annual revenue drop for the state but still something that can change the face of automobile buying.

But alas all these suggestions needs to go beyond TBHP to the right parties to get it analysed and executed.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 19:36   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
The way you say, it sounds as if these are all some super rich people trying to cheat the govt. But in reality is it the case. They would all be law abiding citizens in all regards, ready to pay any amount of taxes to live a peaceful life.
You seem to be talking about some other country, not India. Here we don't pay anything unless there is a compulsion. Do you know that here people undervalue their properties in their sale deeds so that they can cheat on stamp duty? Do you know that the same people make fake bills/receipts so that they can cheat on income tax? Do you know that they buy furniture without a bill so that they can cheat on sales tax? Nobody pays anything willingly, govt has to compel them to do it. These checks are a method of compulsion. Else, even the ones who stay here for a full 15 years will not pay road tax.
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 20:00   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
they should have done the basics correct, when they moved to Bangalore, they should have taken NOC and applied for Tax refund, by this time most of them would have got that, but they did not follow the law and now suddenly they are putting the blame on RTO that they got only weeks time to pay tax.
There is just one small step you missed in between. Take NOC - Pay Road Tax in Whichever State - Apply for refund - Wait for refund.

Its Step 2 that creates discomfort for folks who don't have liquid cash and as FundaG said have to resort to dipping into savings or taking loans as LTT amounts are in no way meagre.

By the way, for those who were saying Central Govt employees had to pay only annual taxes - please go throught this link - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/11382721.cms
This benefit was taken away in 2012. From what I could gather online, KA is perhaps the only state which has done this (not sure though)

Was going through the Bangalore Mirror as they had some coverage on the crackdown. In October, 2013 a meeting called the Transport Development Council was held where in several points were 'agreed' (http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=100216)

Few points 'agreed' according to BM -

1. The council decided that no lifetime tax should be charged on vehicles plying in another state for a period of three months

2 No tax may be charged in the new state if the vehicle is more than two years old and no refund be given from the original state

3. Full tax may be charged in the new state if the vehicle is less than two years old with refund from original state if the vehicle is moved inter-state permanently

The Center says notifications have been served to respective states. But to quote the KA Transport Commissioner K Amaranaryana : "I had attended the (TDC) meeting and many issues pertaining to road tax were deliberated on in that meeting. The Central government did not issue any guidelines or notification directing the state government to implement the proposals made at that meeting. Just because some issues were discussed, it does not mean that it is the law. Unless the state government issues a specific directive, the crackdown will continue"

In between the Center and State, the Joe who moves from one place to another in search of employment or perhaps a 'better quality' of life is stuck.

We can preach whatever we want to now, but when faced with this kind of a situation, how many will practise their preaching is to be be seen. As this thread is going around in circles, I would suggest the mods to lock this thread.
aajohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 11:38   #741
Team-BHP Support

The best thing was the comment that the police officer made to me" - why have you brought your car all the way from Kolkata just for one month? We already have so many cars in Bangalore, we do not need out-of-state cars to come here"
This speaks a lot about the attitude of these morons wearing police attires.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 11:49   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The best thing was the comment that the police officer made to me" - why have you brought your car all the way from Kolkata just for one month? We already have so many cars in Bangalore, we do not need out-of-state cars to come here"
This speaks a lot about the attitude of these morons wearing police attires.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
LOL, the same officer when he comes to Kolkotta must be told 'Aye, why have you brought your son and wife along, we already have lots of people, we don't need more here'
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 12:04   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousivakutti View Post
Here is my query, Is it true that there is a procedure i.e. RTO-Bangalore writes to RTO-Ghaziabad for their approval? Why the NOC submitted by me did not solve the purpose?

What happens if RTO-Ghaziabad did not writes back to RTO-Bangalore? Is there a time period for the wait? I asked similar questions to the agent and he told me usually other side RTO does not sends the confirmation and there are so many such cases pending years?
It is quit strange to me, I gave the NOC & Car was inspected by RTO-Bangalore. He gave address change, RTO Office took KA Road Tax, but unable to assign K.A. Number.
Do let me know your inputs to get K.A. Number.
Sivakutti, This is what I could get from the rto.kar.nic.in website of FAQs

""Question. I Could not obtain NOC at the time of shifing of my vehicle, I have paid tax, and obtained change of address in the certificate of registration in Karnataka , Is there a way to obtain NOC from previous registering authority ?

Yes . You fill form CMVR 28 in quadruplicate with pencil print of the chassis no. on all the forms , and send form CMVR 28 in triplicate to the previous registering authority along with original registration certificate, Insurance, emission testing certificate BY RPAD. Keep the acknowledgement from the previous Registering authority for having received your application and the 4 th copy of NOC application safely . You will receive the NOC from the concerned Registering Authority.

Question. If I don’t Receive the NOC , What I have to do ?

If you do not receive the NOC even after 30 days from the date of acknowledging your application, You can approach the RTO along with your 4 th copy of form CMVR 28 and acknowledgement and file a declaration giving details of your application for NOC and stating that

“ Neither I have received any reply from the concerned RTO nor my application has been rejected by them” .

In such cases Your application for Reassignment / Transfer of ownership will be considered.""

Has anyone encountered a situation like this??
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 15:29   #744
BHPian

goandude: Thanks for the inputs. In my case I did have the NOC from RTO-GZB and it was submitted to RTO-BLR. RTO-BLR did accept the NOC and processed my change of address and accepted Karnataka Road Tax payments. However, to issue a KA Number, they need one more NOC from RTO-GZB. It is strange and I'm not sure why they need it.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd July 2014 at 12:05. Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 20th July 2014, 10:17   #745
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do not post in ALL CAPS.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th July 2014 at 11:22. Reason: All caps post
Old 20th July 2014, 11:14   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
. He was asked to pay around 30K road tax + another 15 K fine for using AP registered car in Bangalore!!
Is that 15K extra since the road tax is low for that car? I heard some instances where they were charged only the road tax and no fines.
Old 20th July 2014, 11:29   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I don't think Supreme Court can be directly approached for such cases. SC is generally an appelate court (i.e which takes up appeals over verdicts given by lower courts). But perhaps the Karnataka High Court may be the first point. And it was the same Hon.SC who gave the order that sun-films be banned in vehicles. A review petition was filed, but it was rejected.
The Supreme Court of India is largely an appellate court, true, but it has original jurisdiction in a number of areas:

- Matters that affect the public at large (PILs)
- Disputes between states, or union and state (Kaveri, Mullaperiyar...)
- Enforcement of fundamental rights (Art. 32 of the constitution)
- And perhaps a few other areas

(In addition to original and appellate jurisdictions, it also has advisory jurisdiction under art. 143, and sundry other powers under various articles).
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 11:11   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

One the primary reasons why the enforcement has only got stricter over the last 1 year:

Targets for Target:

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-20140721_085515.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 21st July 2014 at 12:30.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 11:31   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
2 No tax may be charged in the new state if the vehicle is more than two years old and no refund be given from the original state
This is fair. It will affect only those who purposely register vehicles outside states like PY to save tax.
Old 21st July 2014, 12:14   #750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
No one is forcing them to pay LTT in KA for the life time, they should have done the basics correct, when they moved to Bangalore, they should have taken NOC and applied for Tax refund, by this time most of them would have got that, but they did not follow the law and now suddenly they are putting the blame on RTO that they got only weeks time to pay tax..

We all could have done the same when we moved to Bangalore but we invested little extra to get a peace of mind. And by no imagination of mind I consider myself rich. So guys those who are blaming the Karnataka RTO, please think again, its your home state RTO who did not refund you the money not Karnataka RTO, so if anyone is to be blamed its your home state.
But I have not done anything wrong, I came to Bangalore on the morning of 30th June. I have a PUC done in Kolkata on 27th June and have all the toll receipts to show my whereabouts. I am going back on 26th of July. What right did the police officer have to take away my documents when I have not crossed the 1 month limit yet. It is like putting somebody to jail thinking that the guy may commit a crime in future

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st July 2014 at 12:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks