Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 08:55   #781
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Massive crack down of out of state cars besides forum, Audugodi today. From a quick glimpse, I noticed >50 cars and RTO officers.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:06   #782
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Update :

Quote:
Looks like a major drive by Bangalore RTO against vehicles registered outside KA. They had stopped about 30 non KA vehicles in front of forum mall koramangala
Heads up to guys with non KA vehicles
Drive safe, keep calm.

Hope it helps.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:13   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I feel you are a bit exaggerating things . As many mentioned here already RTO checks are happening at such locations where tourists generally wont be seen. Example - coming out of parking lots of IT companies. SRTH1987 can keep all the toll receipts etc. handy. If you have been doing regular servicing of vehicle outside Bangalore, just keep the service book in the glove box.
What if they catch a person on a 1/2 days visit here and ask them to go later to prove that you are visitor/tourist?

As per post above RTO check is happening near Forum mall which is an entry point to Bangalore from south. Imagine the plight of a tourist/visitor when you get caught immediately after entering the city.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:42   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
When people move to Bangalore for greener pastures consider extra costs like movement of household goods, Children school admission etc but they don't want to take into consideration the cost of paying road tax.
I put some thought in to this and you know what, you are right, its really nothing to pay up road tax provided you plan for it. One must factor this when moving. It costs nothing over having to sell your car, loose money on the sale and then again put money for a new car in which ever new state you move to.

However; I still stand my ground on a system that needs to change. This needs to be managed at a central level. If not central, make it the same number across states.

The next thing is to provide slabs for tax payment. 6 months, 1 year, etc and not force a person to pay life time tax.

Easy to pay and reimburse road tax. Make it on line. If you can pay traffic violations on line, should be no hard task to introduce road tax payment/reimbursement on line. I feel there is a lot more to gain when you make a process easy.

Tax based on the miles you do in a state, for the course of your stay. Off course, all those out of state, long family roads trip are your headache.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:49   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
About the another comments here on blood boiling when people drive cars with outside registration number plates for long time excuse me but I have seen enough KA registered vehicles in Pune , Gurgaon etc what if the blood starts boiling in other places as well?
Nothing stops the RTOs at these places to start their drives. But there again most likely the victims would be migrant crowd from private sectors (mainly from IT). The "sons of the soil" any way would have MH or HR registered vehicles. No problems for them. Central Govt. employees have their own exemptions. Again who is left out? Private sector employees who can afford a car and keep on shifting their locations. IT crowd fits the bill. Again how many Kannadiga IT employees do you think would prefer going to Pune or Gurgaon (when they have good oppurtunities here itself)? Karnataka RTO seems to have clearly thought about the plan. They know who would be the most common violators of the law, how much retaliation power they have and how to deal with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind
uys Here is the screen shot of the particular message from the union ministry.
This is just a message or a directive. Things become official only when the respective state governments issue formal orders (in Gazette or what ever). No RTO would take facebook posts as evidence.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:54   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Massive crack down of out of state cars besides forum, Audugodi today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Update :.
So KA01 competing with KA51.

There is a logic if they stand on the roads leading to prominent offices or residential areas of Bannerghetta road but the crackdown on prominent main roads like Hosur roads will harass genuine tourists/temporary visitors.

Those who are entering Karnataka- i would suggest you get something scribbled in a paper and get a seal from the State checkpost before entering the state; this in the hope that at least they will give some respect to their own brethren.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:58   #787
BHPian

Are they spotted any ware in outer/inner ring roads?
How they are stopping vehicles in busy roads? Any barricades on road so that they are checking all vehicles
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:12   #788
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, please write to Modiji and Gadkari on twitter. Surely they can issue orders to errant state govt especially if they do not keep to the spirit of central laws.

Secondly there is also an issue, where the Congress led govt in KA is trying to take the moral high ground or standing up for KA chauvinism or some such by giving in to such emotions and justifying targeting outsiders. So they believe, that it will stand them in good stead for future state elections if they are perceived to be standing up for local causes. Raj Dharma means a state should treat all citizens as equal otherwise it is in assault on plural structure of the country.

Middle class on their part should also be more aware and not mindlessly give in to any demand just so that they are not 'inconvenienced'. Only if you fight it out for such issues will you be able to keep larger issues at bay, digging your head in the sand and believing that it will pass away will lead to bigger issues tomorrow. Surely the KA govt has legal accumen and local bureaucrats who will be abreast with some loopholes in national legislations which will allow them to squeeze hapless migrants & IT employees even further.
lurker is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:19   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
About the another comments here on blood boiling when people drive cars with outside registration number plates for long time excuse me but I have seen enough KA registered vehicles in Pune , Gurgaon etc what if the blood starts boiling in other places as well?
Sir, no one is stopping other state RTOs to impose fine on long staying out of state cars, just because one state dept is imposing law made by the state assembly, you can't blame and find excuses to avoid tax. When I moved from Gurgaon to Bangalore I sold my car there and got a new car here, cause I knew I will be in trouble as I was moving for a longer term, yes it pained initially but then I had my own benefits of moving here, and I guess everyone who is moving down here gets similar green bucks benefit, so guys if you counter all other costs while moving why miss out on road tax part?

I am again stating I am not against anyone who is a short term visitor in Karnataka, but those who are almost a permanent resident now, and still don't want to pay the adjusted amount, I am totally against them.

If Karnataka RTO is catching everyone who is crossing the border with a non KA reg vehicle then they are grossly wrong and we all should look for a legal route to stop this, because the same can happen to us when we would like to visit other states for tourism purpose or attending functions at relatives' places.
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:22   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What matters is the law of the land, which clearly states "Innocent, until proven guilty"..
Which law is that? It is just a principle used in the judicial procedure - in fact, there are counterexamples in Indian law (ie, where you are guilty unless proven innocent).
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:25   #791

Similar crackdown in front of Forum Mall (Koramangala, Bangalore) today morning..

In Europe, people are able to drive happily around 18 countries without any problems... But here, we've to undergo this to have driven from a city which is few hours away..
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:35   #792
BHPian

I tried on my part to put some information across to Ministry of Road Transport and Highways through their Facebook page.. not sure how much help it will be but worth a try..
Attached Thumbnails
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-post.jpg  

asdon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:34   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
...those who are almost a permanent resident now, and still don't want to pay the adjusted amount, I am totally against them.

If Karnataka RTO is catching everyone who is crossing the border with a non KA reg vehicle then they are grossly wrong
So you agree that there is a point somewhere in the middle of these two - "crossing the border into KA" and "being almost a permanent resident in KA" where one switches status from being a law-abiding citizen to being a law breaker? What do you consider is a reasonable definition for that point?

The point of contention is that the point of status change, which used to be 1 year was changed it to 1 month by Karnataka government thereby changing a bunch of people who were law-abiding earlier into law-breakers.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:13   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

The point of contention is that the point of status change, which used to be 1 year was changed it to 1 month by Karnataka government thereby changing a bunch of people who were law-abiding earlier into law-breakers.
Exactly and very well articulated.

I genuinely feel that objective of this scheme is just to harass and extort money and nothing else.
Actually few years back that is in 2003 I moved my car from MP to Bangalore permanently and I paid full LTT however the bozos at RTO created so many hurdles for re-registration that I drove it with outside number plate but with full LTT paid for 2 states. On my several visits to RTO they themselves sent touts to me to get my work done asking for 5K bribe but I refused and continued to drive with out KA number plate showing tax paid receipt at every check point.
This was my way of not supporting corruption at an individual level.

RTO is one of the most corrupt department and in government appointment auction industry it fetches max price.
I feel political class wants to pay them back for whatever they might have given for elections by providing extra earning opportunity.

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd July 2014 at 14:17.
amitk26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:25   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

During these RTO checks, the officials are looking for company parking sticker, apartment parking sticker, any club membership sticker pasted on the windscreen, OBU device etc to find if you are staying here for a long period.

They also asked one of my friend for the last car service bill. And they checked one of the shopping bill which was lying on the dashboard.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks