Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2014, 09:53   #31

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Now this is just harassment. What was the reason for taking you're documents especially since you're vehicle has only been operating for 7 days in Bangalore? Would suggest you take a printout of the HC Judgement as well as a copy of the Faq's from the RTO website ( it clearly says 11 months) with you while going to the RTO. By the way, which RTO caught you?
The inspector told me to come to Bannerghatta office. The stamp on the receipt says Electronic city RTO. Probably the only reason he took my documents is because I actually showed him the documents, toll receipts, PUC etc...
Also I tried telling him that I had been there just for 5 days and not 30 days, which is required. This for some reason pissed him off and he Made me wait for one hour saying he will talk to me later. He also told me to go to court and prove all that and he is least bothered about my proofs. I tried telling him that I was leaving the next day to get the car back to trivandrum.
One of his arguments was that since I am a wipro bangalore employee and the car is in my name I had to pay for that. I don't see any connection between the two. In fact I have a karnataka registered car that I usually use. This car was meant for my parents at my home town.
After he finally relented and gave me a receipt, he made another statement "you keralites are all habitual offenders and make all this receipts up. Otherwise how would you have all the documents ready". Not even for a moment did he consider that I could actually have been right. Very bad attitude from a "responsible" official.
Anoth
Sorry for the rambling post. I am really frustrated with the whole thing.
maddjango is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 10:49   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
The inspector told me to come to Bannerghatta office. The stamp on the receipt says Electronic city RTO.
OT: the KA51 - electronic city RTO is shifted to Bilekahalli. That's off Bannerghatta road, far behind IIMB and before Devarachikanhalli. If you need help with directions, PM me.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 11:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

This should probably opposed on the grounds that it is against the Constitution of India - unreasonable restriction on freedom of movement.
Old 15th March 2014, 11:13   #34
BHPian

The "Amendment Bill" states:
Quote:
Explanation 2. - In respect of motor vehicles registered outside the State of Karnataka and which are in the State for a period exceeding thirty days, notwithstanding anything contained in the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 ( Central Act 59 of 1988 ), and in any order or direction contained in any judgment or any order of any Court, tax shall be levied as specified in Parts A1, A2, A4, A5, A6, A7 and A8 as the case may be"
Looks like it applies to all motor vehicles, not just "cabs".
Does anybody else think that the tone & language reeks of contemptuousness ?

Quote:
I showed toll receipt, PUC certificate, even insurance. Everything was done in Trivandrum. The RTO inspector who caught me was unconvinced and not too pleased. He took my RC book, license and insurance paper.
Quote:
... the only reason he took my documents is because I actually showed him the documents, toll receipts, PUC etc. Also I tried telling him that I had been there just for 5 days and not 30 days, which is required. He also told me to go to court and prove all that and he is least bothered about my proofs. Very bad attitude from a "responsible" official.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Had heard of an instance where the RTO official tore the toll receipts of someone who was trying to prove that he was from out of state and had entered just a few days back.
Extremely bad attitude indeed

Would an App such as this help in such a situation ?

http://www.aclu-nj.org/yourrights/the-app-place/

Last edited by im_srini : 15th March 2014 at 11:26.
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 11:21   #35
Team-BHP Support

What all documents he took? And what about the car? Did they seize the car, or you were allowed to take it?

Also- what all documents did they ask for paying the tax?

PS- I have a valid PUC and toll receipts taken two weeks back. But RTO insisting on NOC to take road tax. They asked me to wait till I get caught so that I can pay road tax without NOC. Harassment either way.

Quote:
"you keralites are all habitual offenders and make all this receipts up. Otherwise how would you have all the documents ready".
Frustrating.

I have felt that these guys particularly target KL and TN vehicles, but i don't see them doing the same for AP registration vehicles. Anyone else felt the same way?
Old 15th March 2014, 12:34   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....One of his arguments was that since I am a wipro bangalore employee and the car is in my name I had to pay for that. I don't see any connection between the two. In fact I have a karnataka registered car that I usually use. This car was meant for my parents at my home town.
After he finally relented and gave me a receipt, he made another statement "you keralites are all habitual offenders and make all this receipts up. Otherwise how would you have all the documents ready". Not even for a moment did he consider that I could actually have been right. Very bad attitude from a "responsible" official.
Anoth
Would contacting the Bangalore transport commissioner help in your case? If so, there was the contact number listed in one of the pages and you should give it a try.
Old 15th March 2014, 12:44   #37
BHPian

Is going to court or filing a PIL not an option?
gopaneel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 12:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I have felt that these guys particularly target KL and TN vehicles, but i don't see them doing the same for AP registration vehicles. Anyone else felt the same way?
Yes. AP and KA are sort of bhais. I have AP and running 5 years. not stopped. All the issue is the river between 3 states. Luckily there is no river sharing between AP and KA. I am not going to change my AP reg for a long time.
These folks are waiting for an order to come and target KL and TN regos.
Old 15th March 2014, 13:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:

The tax slab in AP is not exactly low when compared to KL/TN, the effort, cost and risk involved in registering a car in AP and then bringing it to KA to avoid the tax is not worth it. My guess is that the KA police understands this, if the claim about not stopping AP vehicles is true.
It can't be denied that people register their car in their home town to save on the tax compared to KA. Maybe this current drive is targetted towards this bunch of people with the floater population being the scapegoat for this.

PS: I am neither from AP nor have i seen the police target only the other two southern states.
Roomy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 13:24   #40
BHPian

Re: Beware out of state cars : RTO (Bangalore) taxation rule amendment from Feb28 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakra View Post
If I am not wrong then private vehicles entering Karnataka from Maharashtra don't have to pay any state permit charges so how are they planning to track the entry date of the vehicle into the state.
Actually it is the other way round, if you are caught they simply assume you are here for a longer duration which is easy for them. The onus is on you to prove otherwise and if you don't have a proof that shows you are here for a less duration, like toll receipt / petrol bills etc, then you can be fined unless you are very adept in convincing them.
Old 15th March 2014, 14:23   #41
BANNED

I have a TN car, I have been here in bang since Sep' 13.

- What should I do if I get caught ? will they seize the vehicle or will I be able to pay a fine and drive off with the receipt ?
- What should I be doing 'proactively' by going to any RTO here ? should I apply for re-registration or should I just pay the lifetime tax and keep the receipt of payment ?
- is there a deadline set, for the payment of KA road tax ? how much is it for a small hatchback ?

Please advise, I am afraid to venture out because of this, I would atleast like to have a 'what to expect' info from you folks before I go out.

PS : I am not game to playing toll receipt tricks, I am numb from the bad behavior of police/govt offices in the past so much, that my blood does not boil anymore, I wish to just pay up and save my health, rather. (being a salaried employee who pays tax, in this country, is like death from a 1000 cuts, this is probably the 1001-st cut. The reality is that bangalore corporation or KA govt people have decided to milk the IT population dry. This money will be 'channeled' into some 'development' projects, which will fill up the pockets of a few. I have accepted my fate)

Last edited by venkyhere : 15th March 2014 at 14:29.
Old 15th March 2014, 15:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Also I tried telling him that I had been there just for 5 days and not 30 days, which is required. This for some reason pissed him off and he Made me wait for one hour saying he will talk to me later. He also told me to go to court and prove all that and he is least bothered about my proofs. I tried telling him that I was leaving the next day to get the car back to trivandrum.
One of his arguments was that since I am a wipro bangalore employee and the car is in my name I had to pay for that. I don't see any connection between the two. In fact I have a karnataka registered car that I usually use. This car was meant for my parents at my home town.
Anoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Would contacting the Bangalore transport commissioner help in your case? If so, there was the contact number listed in one of the pages and you should give it a try.
Pathetic attitude. This is pure harassment. Just imagine -a citizen of India can't take his car to another location even for 5 days without paying life time tax for 15 years.

I agree with swiftnfurious - you should escalate this to the Transport Commissioner - Both KA and KL. In fact you might even get help from Rishiraj Singh. The numbers and emails for both the comissioners are mentioned in the respective websites. Go public if necessary - they can't treat you in this manner.
Old 15th March 2014, 15:47   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PS- I have a valid PUC and toll receipts taken two weeks back. But RTO insisting on NOC to take road tax. They asked me to wait till I get caught so that I can pay road tax without NOC. Harassment either way.
I paid road tax without NOC for my wife's two-wheeler. This was at the EC RTO.
Old 15th March 2014, 17:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
BBMP is broke.
They need money urgently. So they are looking for innovative means to collect money.
Unfortunately it is the poor citizen who pays.
Agreed that they should come down on the people who register their cars in pondy for lower taxes. They do need to pay for all the wonderful infrastructure that they are developing.
But not the poor IT guy who is here for short term work.
+1 to that.

And who will pay for the study tours? And their Fortuners? And their exotic holidays?

This is pathetic. This is one country. I am amazed of this daylight robbery.

And off late I have been seeing a lot of checking on the road. These guys are simply milking the so called 'rich' IT guys without even considering the consequences. We possibly have the worst road infrastructure in the country and still pay the highest taxes.
I came back from my home Ranchi and I am ashamed to see the roads here. Even one of the poorer states has 10 times better roads than us.

Remember to use your vote wisely. And if you don't; and choose the same jokers, then we deserve it.
pratyush6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 19:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is one country.
Although i'd like to agree with you, the reality is that we are not. Federalism is the only way we can keep the diverse states together. We are 29 countries not states. What we need is less centralized laws. Federalism has its share of ills, but the benefits are more.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks