Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2014, 18:14   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Crazy, esp since the draft legislation allows easy movement for cars after two years! Must be trying to pre-empt it.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 18:26   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

All the best @CrAzY dRiVeR. I hope everything goes well for you. Maybe you can advice me later this year when I shift. I'm very tempted to sell my 3 year old Figo in chennai and buy a new car in Bangalore. My wife's city is unfortunately too old for that option.
Old 21st March 2014, 19:42   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
...If one State wants to go ahead and collect their share from another State, because a resident moved, then that should be their responsibility. The States can have a very simple process of netting the arrivals against the departures and settle the score amongst themselves once a year. Why is the public being made to run about? ...

Well, that the BEST case. This is something even I had suggested quite a few pages and time back on this very thread. India would have been a paradise if our "Netas" made any efforts in truly servicing the people.

Till, we have a lead on this, you could try to do your bit by signing the application, if you wish so. To do something is definitely better than to do nothing but hoping.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 19:54   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Till, we have a lead on this, you could try to do your bit by signing the application, if you wish so. To do something is definitely better than to do nothing but hoping.
I am just suggesting that a broader petition that applies to anyone in India living as a non resident in another state be covered by the petition, and not just those being hassled in Karnataka. I don't think the Karnataka govt will do anything as they are benefiting from the recent change.

Can't the ministry of road transportation pass a law that supercedes the State's efforts to rob us blind? How is this handled in other metropolitan cities in India like Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai who I suspect have their fair share of out of state cars?
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 20:08   #155
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I think the States can (and should) come up with a system for charging either annual tax or three year tax or a five year tax (at the most) only for out-of-state vehicles plying in a State with a valid local address for the owner. They can give a tax token to be displayed in a tax disc for such vehicles that have paid the local tax.

They can call it partial/temporary road tax for out-of-state vehicles. With this tax, one should be able to retain the original registration number, so the vehicle can ply in the state for as long as the validity of the tax. Then the owner can either choose to extend it, or re-register the vehicle, or take it back to the original state where it was registered. This should avoid hassles for citizens, ensure revenue for governments and help those who got transferred.

Last edited by RSR : 21st March 2014 at 20:21.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 20:42   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I think the States can (and should) come up with a system for charging either annual tax or three year tax or a five year tax (at the most) only for out-of-state vehicles plying in a State with a valid local address for the owner. They can give a tax token to be displayed in a tax disc for such vehicles that have paid the local tax.
Problem is, we Indians don't like to pay taxes voluntarily.
We pay the lifetime tax on our cars because only then can we buy a new car from the showroom. There's no other option.
If we were to pay taxes every year, the government would have to start a new department to intercept everyone and force them to pay the tax.

A better solution would be to make road tax uniform across states and to ensure refunds when permanently moving across states. Then we would not have people registering their luxo barges in Pondy to evade tax. Also states like KA cannot fleece residents or harass non-residents. But this is easier said than done!
one-77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 21:27   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Problem is, we Indians don't like to pay taxes voluntarily.
We pay the lifetime tax on our cars because only then can we buy a new car from the showroom. There's no other option.
A simple solution for this is to provide "tax paid" annual stickers that can be fixed on the car license plate -- like they do in the USA -- and give cops the excuse to pull over vehicles who have not paid the tax. they could actually increase revenue in this manner. Example.
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 22:18   #158
BANNED

"Belongs to the Karnataka Rakshana Vedike.
Attached Thumbnails
Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-10009511_756411627717291_64104498_n.jpg  

HyperRetard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 15:21   #159
BHPian

Hi Folks!

I would be going towards Phoenix Market City today evening. Wanted to check if anyone is aware of RTO checking happening around that area or ORR stretch around Marathalli.

Thanks & Regards
Saurav
Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 19:34   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a thought. While trying to prove to the KA cops that you are just passing by, the welcome SMS you receive upon entering a state might also come in handy, in addition to the usual toll/fuel bill/atm receipts. It struck me last week when I was traveling between Delhi - Kanpur.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:28   #161
BHPian

These are the kind of pictoral instances we need to use to file a PIL !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
"Belongs to the Karnataka Rakshana Vedike.
shramik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:34   #162
Senior - BHPian

Guys is there any place in Bangalore where we can sell out of state vehicles?
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:36   #163
BHPian

Even if there were any, you would loose heavily on its intrinsic value…..dealers would have a field day fleecing you !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:03   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
My thinking goes like this. If you have a TN registered car and have paid LTT in KA, you can sell it in Hosur. This being close to bangalore, whoever purchases the car has the option to either use it for personal use or run as a taxi.O may be you can sell it to IT person who keeps shuffling between TN and KA.
If you have a MH registered car, then may be you can sell it in Solapur. Or if you have a AP registered car, may be you can sell it in Raichur/Bellary and AP border places.
There are ways where we can sell our car.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 13:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My thinking goes like this. If you have a TN registered car and have paid LTT in KA, you can sell it in Hosur. This being close to bangalore, whoever purchases the car has the option to either use it for personal use or run as a taxi.O may be you can sell it to IT person who keeps shuffling between TN and KA.
If you have a MH registered car, then may be you can sell it in Solapur. Or if you have a AP registered car, may be you can sell it in Raichur/Bellary and AP border places.
There are ways where we can sell our car.
Mine is a DL registered car

Someone told me that Carnation guys do buy out of state cars (regardless whether you paid LTT in KA or not). Not confirmed about this though.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks