Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 18:51   #256
BANNED

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

^^^^ reinforces the belief that india is only 'a country' on paper. We are really people from different countries moving to others without passport. There is a huge amount of this jingoistic 'regionalism' and terriotorial attitude of 'you outsiders are staying here because of our mercy, the moment we change our minds, you will be thrown away or made to suffer' prevalent in many states. Many political parties' foundation is based on this and this alone.
It is very saddening.
Old 27th March 2014, 19:57   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra

This cannot be solution to put one person per car per month to catch the violation.
Kerala traffic police and MVD department installed many cameras across highways to monitor speed and other traffic violations. They send challans to people after validating these camera clippings. I mean, you don't need one person per car to catch a violation.

Bangalore's IT status doesn't mean that everybody travel here to work and settle. There is a majority of crowd traveling on tour, business and family reasons.

KA govt decided to collect one year tax from taxis visiting Karnataka even for a single trip. I 'm sorry to mention them greedy.

KL is a tourist destination and many outside cars with guests visit there without an issue. How do you feel if RTO stops them and confiscate their cars? Whatever proof they can show is available to poor fellows in Bangalore too. Similarly, what is number of outside cars visiting KL during Sabarimala and other festival season?

Having said, I don't mean that KA RTO should entertain all outside cars. They are free to catch any real tax evaders staying over prescribled period. They should be wise and patient enough to understand and take necessary action on a case to case basis than blindly dumping tax on each and every outside car.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 20:24   #258
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

My friend moved from b'lore to hyd,his car is below yr old,while paying road tax here in hyd the Rto officer is insisting him to pay road tax + vat as per invoice value .is this process correct ?
Old 27th March 2014, 20:28   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna
My friend moved from b'lore to hyd,his car is below yr old,while paying road tax here in hyd the Rto officer is insisting him to pay road tax + vat as per invoice value .is this process correct ?
There was a Supreme Court ruling this week to refund VAT. Please check with experts before paying.
Old 27th March 2014, 21:07   #260
Senior - BHPian

@suresh_gs: Nice article. The target to be achieved in collecting fines is an amazing principle. No wonder the cops are so harassed they have a deadline to meet.
I wonder if there is a similar target number of murders or rapes to meet. I find it offensive if the cops are going to be blame if there are not n number of murders and x number of rapes in 2013-14.
I remember reading a very funny joke book about laws in the USA. I wonder if there is a similar book on Indian laws?
Old 27th March 2014, 21:47   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I am not paying road tax to work in Karnataka, I am paying tax to use my car on Karnataka roads.
I believe when you start filling petrol/diesel from Karnataka, at that moment you start paying taxes to the State govt of Karnataka, and are not the petrol prices in Karnataka the highest in the country. Road Tax on top of that is actually double taxation. It seems to be the objective of the state of KA to levy maximum taxes from the floating IT population of Bangalore, especially since they are majorly from out-of-state employees of MNC IT companies. The latter reeks of narrow-mindedness and a sense of entitlement and can be nipped only by a strong govt at the centre and a Prime Minister whose voice is heard and respected.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th March 2014 at 16:54. Reason: Don't insult the populace for a government policy
Old 27th March 2014, 22:13   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I believe when you start filling petrol/diesel from Karnataka, at that moment you start paying taxes to the State govt of Karnataka, and are not the petrol prices in Karnataka the highest in the country. Road Tax on top of that is actually double taxation.
Sorry that is not 'double taxation'. 'Double taxation' is when the same income (which has already been taxed) is taxed again. Not if you pay two different taxes to the same government!

Last edited by Samurai : 29th March 2014 at 16:55. Reason: refered post was edited
Old 27th March 2014, 22:20   #263
Senior - BHPian

Personal transportation is a sector which suffers multiplicity of taxation, which we still grin and bear but dare not call it double-taxation. You pay one-time road tax, and then you pay toll, then tax on fuel and then additional surcharge on fuel. Then there are some rogue states that charge an additional tax on top of the one time road tax.
Old 27th March 2014, 23:03   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Yes that is the process. The road tax is calculated based on the invoice value. For eg In KA if the price is below 5 lakhs, then road tax is 13%. May be in AP the value will be marginally less.
Old 28th March 2014, 10:27   #265
BHPian

Can't really complain about the states rights to create laws tailored for their states. But what should stop is the harassment.

True, there are a lot of willful violators. But the principle of innocent until proven guilty should apply. The RTO is not on the right side of the law when they assume that you are a violator and put the onus on you to prove otherwise.

Somebody should put a PIL and am sure any sane court will take them to task. Question is, who will do it. We are all busy with our lives.

Hope this madness subsides once this financial year is over.
Old 28th March 2014, 10:39   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Somebody should put a PIL and am sure any sane court will take them to task. Question is, who will do it. We are all busy with our lives.
They are taking it as an advantage!

A majority of Bangalore's urban population is from outside states and none are bothered to take it legally. We all are busy and don't want to take another headache. I hope someone genuinely affected will take it forward legally.
Old 28th March 2014, 11:14   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Yes that is the process. The road tax is calculated based on the invoice value. For eg In KA if the price is below 5 lakhs, then road tax is 13%. May be in AP the value will be marginally less.
agreed the road tax is on invoice value , however why there should be double taxation when VAT is already paid in KA , the RTO's claim is that there is revenue loss to AP hence have to pay VAT again which is sort of absurd .
Old 28th March 2014, 11:19   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
agreed the road tax is on invoice value , however why there should be double taxation when VAT is already paid in KA , the RTO's claim is that there is revenue loss to AP hence have to pay VAT again which is sort of absurd .
Yeah, that VAT went to KA, and now AP wants their pound of flesh. I think there was a court order declaring entry tax illegal. Perhaps it is only applicable to KA.
Old 28th March 2014, 12:36   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Yeah, that VAT went to KA, and now AP wants their pound of flesh. I think there was a court order declaring entry tax illegal. Perhaps it is only applicable to KA.
There was a ruling by SC against Govt. of Kerala, who had argued that VAT amount should be considered while calculating Road Tax for a Vehicle.

On the current Topic, I use a KL Registered CAR in KA for the past 4 months. I haven't paid the TAX here I believed that that it was still the 11 month rule in force, checked with the RTO last week and voluntarily made an offer to pay the KA road tax. Now comes the twist, as always they didn't insist on an NOC and told you can directly pay, as when I asked whether I will get a refund if I migrate to another state, he answered that I will get back the amount in less that 6 months time. I showed his the receipts of a car and bike which I had brought here and were transferred to my State 2 years(Car) and 1 Year(Bike), he become furious. I even offered him that they don't need to pay the TAX refund, instead they can adjust it with the TAX amount of the new car, for which I am about to pay tax. They were not ready for that sighting that Collection and Disbursement are different departments. So, when it comes to refund, they are not at all interested, and on the other hand, they are stubborn on demanding tax. In such scenario's can we expect anyone to pay up the tax voluntarily.

Last edited by P4life : 28th March 2014 at 12:46. Reason: Typo Error
P4life is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 12:42   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4life View Post
There was a ruling by SC against Govt. of Kerala, who had argued that VAT amount should be considered while calculating Road Tax for a Vehicle.

On the current Topic, I use a KL Registered CAR in KA for the past 4 months. I haven't paid the TAX here I believed that that it was still the 11 month rule in force, checked with the RTO last week and voluntarily made an offer to pay the KA road tax. Now comes the twist, as always they didn't insist on an NOC and told you can directly pay, as when I asked whether I will get a refund if I migrate to another state, he answered that I will get back the amount in less that 6 months time. I showed his the receipts of a car and bike which I had brought here and were transferred to my State 2 years(Car) and 1 Year(Bike), he become furious. I even offered him that they don't need to pay the TAX refund, instead they can adjust it with the TAX amount of the new car, for which I am about to pay tax. They were not ready for that sighting that Collection and Disbursement are different departments. So, when it comes to refund, they are not at all interested, and on the other hand, they are stubborn on diademing tax. In such scenario's can we expect anyone to pay up the tax voluntarily.
Very good of you to ask for adjustment

These guys dont work for our convenience. Is there is no Sakala (guarantee of service with time limits) schemes for RTO services ? I was able to demand such services through Sakala with the other mightily corrupt BBMP office and it works well.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks