Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 16:11   #106

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Frankly i was always frustrated when i saw a vehicle out of KA in Bangalore, my assumption is that the extra TAX collected in KA is diverted to improving roads (Whether they are actually improved is another matter.) So my line of thought was if i am paying extra to maintain the roads why do these guys get to use it for free...!?

But can you blame me for it? many on this forum have already divulged that they are running their out of KA vehicles for years together. I have seen bikes from Jharkand and Kashmir parked in our office i am sure they are not here for less than a year..

But i do agree with the members here that 1 month is too short a time, we should also file a PIL questioning the difference in the tax paid in different states, get them all standardized i say...!!
MRAMAB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 16:38   #107
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

OT:

At one instance, a person in a government office charged [actually bribe] me 500 rs more compared to a local guy who paid just before me for the same work. When I asked why, he questioned me 'you from some other state come here, earn, buy property, settle wealthy and live happy in our state and why shouldn't I charge you just 500 Rs more'. This happened, Period!.

I have some very good friends from KA than I got in my own state. I am very happy about it. But some people have really bad impression and don't like or encourage people coming from other states and settle down here. I believe, all these frustrations in them may burst out badly someday. Anyways, I had already chalked out some plans to go back to my own state within next 2 years for some personal reasons.

I am not igniting any debate here, just shared one of my experience and no intention to hurt anyone. The post can be deleted if required.

Now I have to ask my brother in chennai to prepare all his car papers, his ID proofs,address proofs, Service history of the Car, toll receipts, Fuel bills and what not for him to just visit me in Bangalore over a weekend

I was driving a TN Car for 3 years here and visiting TN atleast twice a month. Changed to KA Car now for peace of mind. Luckily i was not stopped while driving around in my TN car.

Last edited by BulZire : 18th March 2014 at 17:00.
Old 18th March 2014, 16:42   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAMAB View Post
Frankly i was always frustrated when i saw a vehicle out of KA in Bangalore, my assumption is that the extra TAX collected in KA is diverted to improving roads (Whether they are actually improved is another matter.) So my line of thought was if i am paying extra to maintain the roads why do these guys get to use it for free...!? But can you blame me for it? many on this forum have already divulged that they are running their out of KA vehicles for years together. I have seen bikes from Jharkand and Kashmir parked in our office i am sure they are not here for less than a year.. But i do agree with the members here that 1 month is too short a time, we should also file a PIL questioning the difference in the tax paid in different states, get them all standardized i say...!!
Is Karnataka the only state were these situations occur? The reverse scenario is also true, while it may be in reduced numbers since IT is not as established in other states.

If i have a permanent home in Kerala/ TN and a rented house in Bangalore and shuttle between these states- I don't understand why it has to be KA alone who fights for the lifetime tax. As long as I have valid toll receipts and bills which show the period of stay- should be excused as I'm still correct within the definitions of the law.

Yes, I do realise this law is violated with many luxury cars getting registered in Pondichery or other union territories. However, those groups are not targeted by the cops at all! Penalising a week old car, checking old service bills to prove period of stay etc are just harassment IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Now I have to ask my brother in chennai to prepare all his car papers, his ID proofs,address proofs, Service history of the Car, toll receipts, Fuel bills and what not for him to just visit me in Bangalore over a weekend
+1.

If parents / relatives need to visit us for a month now, we need to pay Karnataka road tax for 15 years?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th March 2014 at 16:52.
Old 18th March 2014, 17:22   #109
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my bike in Chennai more than 6 years back, I paid 3.5K as LTT. Today when I calculated the amount I need to pay for KA LTT for my 6+ years old bike it amounts 7K.

Hilarious !!!
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 17:39   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate, all said and done it would be difficult to hoodwink the police in the long run. I too followed the above said points for 2 years after bringing my TN registered car from Chennai. Finally decided to pay LTT in KA
but what is making me reluctant to pay the LTT for KA is that the Vehicle is quite old & worth the amount. I'd better be selling off the car in TN & get a new machine with KA registration, easier said than done. I'm emotionally attached to her
Old 18th March 2014, 18:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

If they indeed have to collect money from non-home users, instead of ridiculously huge Life Time tax, or for that matter, a full year tax, cant they have a temporary permit collected upon entering a non-home state?
Given the existence of numerous toll gates, and/or border check posts, infrastructure shouldn't be a big problem for the implementation.

Ask for how long they intend to stay, and issue permit for that duration. No ambiguity on when the car entered a particular state etc as well.
Old 18th March 2014, 18:46   #112
BHPian

Pretty much all of the members have it right, and the suggestions on how to impose a geniuine tax are all very good but I have one very important question:

Does this government really care if the rule they make is justified or not?

My simple view along with most of us is that they don't give a damn what most people feel. They are simply trying to make more money. Period.
If they genuinely try to come up with a solution, they will; you do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.
They are simply not interested.

BTW I am from Ranchi and drive a KA registered car and a bike; while the roads here make me realize I was in my village, that too probably in Lalu Yadav's days!

Unfortunate truth of life is we all go where we can earn a decent living and there are people/government willing to pounce of us to make a quick buck. That said, I still find Karnataka not too bad overall.
Old 18th March 2014, 19:39   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
If they indeed have to collect money from non-home users, instead of ridiculously huge Life Time tax, or for that matter, a full year tax, cant they have a temporary permit collected upon entering a non-home state?
Given the existence of numerous toll gates, and/or border check posts, infrastructure shouldn't be a big problem for the implementation.

Ask for how long they intend to stay, and issue permit for that duration. No ambiguity on when the car entered a particular state etc as well.
this would make it easy for the floating population as well as the Govt for vigilance, But again why should we not have a uniform road tax all over India, Would make life a lot more simpler...
Old 18th March 2014, 20:23   #114
BHPian

I have an update and a question:

Update: As per the Bangalore traffic police website, Police personals are not allowed to penalize out of state vehicles

http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...e&id=93&btp=93

Can police penalize vehicles with number plate of other State?
No. police is not authorized to penalize any one for out Station number plates. This is not the mandate for police.

Question: I want to pay the tax for my car which is KL registered, However the registered owner is my father, Would it be easy to change the ownership in kerala and get the car re-registered here or otherwise? Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by Knight Rider : 18th March 2014 at 20:25.
Old 18th March 2014, 21:01   #115
BHPian

Thanks CMS for posting a copy of the circular. but guys, hold your horses...

In my opinion, this is bogus law and is superseded by the Indian Motor Vehicles Act that allows vehicles to be out of state for 12 months before requiring re-registration. So, this might be yet another ploy by Karnataka Police to harass drivers. Here is my analysis..

The circular posted by CMS clearly states:

"... not withstanding anything contained in the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988..."

So I looked up the Motor Vehicles Act, which can be obtained here.. Starting from page 59, it states"

47. Assignment of new registration mark on removal to another State. - (1) When a motor vehicle registered in One State has been kept in another State, for a period exceeding twelve months, the owner of the vehicle shall, within such period and in such form containing such particulars as may be prescribed by the Central Government, apply to the registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark and shall present the certificate of registration to that registering authority ...

And later on Page 61, it summarizes:

Objects and Reasons. - Clause 47 requires that a motor vehicle registered in one State and kept in another State for a period exceeding 12 months shall be assigned a new registration mark in that other State.

I hope this information helps..

Last edited by bdman : 18th March 2014 at 21:21.
bdman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 21:58   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post

Information is one. Harassment is another. What can a common man do when the vehicle is retained with the RTO.

I just now went out at 9 PM around Koramangala. Saw a couple of places with traffic police fellas standing at unusual places. Saw some uniformed guys checking bikes at teachers colony. Been seeing barricades at new places. !

Came home unscathed with a TN Board.
Old 18th March 2014, 22:56   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

to be honest, cars from outside KA should be getting a refund for the pathetic state of the roads, the congestion and the damage done to the vehicles in KA. its a joke that we have to pay a higher tax for horrible roads.

I'm from Bangalore and wish the higher tax would come with superior roads. I've spent 2 yrs in TN and it has some amazing roads in the cities and on the highways.
Old 18th March 2014, 23:12   #118
Senior - BHPian

I am from Vizag and my job seldom takes me out of this town. But recently I made a trip to Bangalore. I always thought Vizag had the worst roads in India. Until I visited Bangalore. Seriously, THIS is how things are in IT capital. Roads are too dusty and bumps galore. And unmarked. I think it's about time some of the top companies/IT firms ditched this city. Too may people and companies are cramming in this city. Just get out. And teach the greediest state Govt. under the sun a lesson. I mean this Govt. is collecting so much revenue from so many quarters and yet not content? I'm sure petrol and new vehicle tax should be highest in India. My home state of AP is no angel either. Actually, I wonder which state Govt. is more greedy.
Old 18th March 2014, 23:16   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Thanks CMS for posting a copy of the circular. but guys, hold your horses...

In my opinion, this is bogus law and is superseded by the Indian Motor Vehicles Act that allows vehicles to be out of state for 12 months before requiring re-registration. So, this might be yet another ploy by Karnataka Police to harass drivers. Here is my analysis..

The circular posted by CMS clearly states:

"... not withstanding anything contained in the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988..."

So I looked up the Motor Vehicles Act, which can be obtained here.. Starting from page 59, it states"

47. Assignment of new registration mark on removal to another State. - (1) When a motor vehicle registered in One State has been kept in another State, for a period exceeding twelve months, the owner of the vehicle shall, within such period and in such form containing such particulars as may be prescribed by the Central Government, apply to the registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark and shall present the certificate of registration to that registering authority ...

And later on Page 61, it summarizes:

Objects and Reasons. - Clause 47 requires that a motor vehicle registered in one State and kept in another State for a period exceeding 12 months shall be assigned a new registration mark in that other State.

Hi Bdman,

If the KA MV Taxation Amendment Act were to be subordinate to the Indian Motor Vehicles Act, then the wording would have read 'subject to' anything contained in the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988

Since it says 'notwithstanding' I think it implies inspite of/ despite/ irrespective of what is written in the Motor Vehicles Act, the circular/ amendment shall apply. Therefore, it basically ignores whatever is said in the Motor Vehicles Act and supercedes it.

I am not a lawyer, so someone more appropriate can help clarify this.

Having said that, irrespective of what the final interpretation is, our KA cops don't really care, nor are they carrying around copies of the law and propagating the virtues of the same - so in reality, they will still do whatever they feel like doing i.e. seize your vehicle/ RC book/ Driving licence and give you a severe headache!!
Old 18th March 2014, 23:20   #120
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And teach the greediest state Govt. under the sun a lesson. I mean this Govt. is collecting so much revenue from so many quarters and yet not content? I'm sure petrol and new vehicle tax should be highest in India.
well, they need the money.
How else will they be able to send corporation councillors on month long US/europe trips to study about 'town planning' / 'electricity distribution' / 'waste management' etc ?
Also, what about the cost of distributing iPads and GalaxyNotes to the corporation officials - they are afterall, part of the IT-hub city - they need the latest means to 'stay in touch' with the grievances of the public. Such noble causes need extra funding, of course.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks