Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 21:24   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Fuel bills, toll receipts, maybe PUC certificate procured within a month (if they are that adamant)

India is a big democratic country & as Indians you can move around anywhere has a new meaning now. (Buying a property or not is different)

For eg - Our fellow D, Nikhil had to stay at Delhi for 6 months because of his work. He brought his Car from Bangalore to Delhi. Now if the cities were reversed and a cop caught and asked for an explanation or fine, what then?

I am sure Central Government is getting a good chunk of $$$ from State Government, else they would have intervened.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 21:33   #17
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

The Karnatake government can issue temporary permits (stamped in the original RC) for people who come on deputation for period of 2- 3 years. This can be done after verifying the NOC issued by the base RTO. In case of longer term, then reregistration & additional tax can be made mandatory.
Old 14th March 2014, 22:25   #18
BHPian

Hi all,
i really have seen a lot of activity from the Bangalore RTO in the last 2 months.
I reside in south city at Arekere Mico Layout.There are close to 1500 apartments in our campus. RTO officials along with traffic police entered the Parking lot of our residence and posted notice on the non KA registered cars to pay the road tax within 7 days.

Also they are stationed near the Reliance mart on Banerghatta road catching Non KA registered cars on the road.
Old 14th March 2014, 22:27   #19
BHPian

Guys, does this hellish rule apply to Mangalore/ Manipal too?
Are checks this stringent there too?
I'm contemplating moving to one of these places for three years staring May to pursue my MD..
Old 14th March 2014, 22:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
The Karnatake government can issue temporary permits (stamped in the original RC) for people who come on deputation for period of 2- 3 years. This can be done after verifying the NOC issued by the base RTO. In case of longer term, then reregistration & additional tax can be made mandatory.
How can one avail this? Could you share more details?
Old 14th March 2014, 22:42   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
Maks a mockery of India as a Federal State.
+1.

What if our parents / relatives decide to drive down and stay with us (Bangalore's floating population) for a month- do we need to pay lifetime road tax for their cars too?

Sorry to say- but this is real discrimination against the floating population of Bangalore.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th March 2014 at 22:47.
Old 14th March 2014, 22:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
The Karnatake government can issue temporary permits (stamped in the original RC) for people who come on deputation for period of 2- 3 years.
As far as I know nothing is possible in case of private vehicles. One exemption was there for central govt employees to pay yearly and that also is not there now.
Old 14th March 2014, 22:54   #23
A.R
BHPian

While a lot of people expressing concerns here could be those truly impacted, there are many more, running vehicles w/o proper papers, road tax , insurance etc. This might not be the right way to treat the problem. But, the story is one sided!

I've driven many times between most of of the southern states and never faced any trouble as long as I carried the relevant papers and receipts to prove my mobile status.
Old 14th March 2014, 23:09   #24

I am also in the same situation. I had got my car from trivandrum last weekend since I couldn't get a bus ticket for the last minute trip. And was planning to drive back tomorrow. Now looks like I have to spend tomorrow in RTO office. I showed toll receipt, PUC certificate, even insurance. Everything was done in Trivandrum. The RTO inspector who caught me was unconvinced and not too pleased. He took my RC book, license and insurance paper . They are specifically targetting techies, as they were standing outside wipro gate on sarjapur road.
maddjango is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 23:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
But, the story is one sided!
What I am trying to highlight is about the amendment that overrules several court orders and central govt taxation rules.

And the funny thing is that those who had paid the tax in similar situation, RTO is giving another slip of 100/- which is as per the rule but it makes the other 15years tax receipt illegal. The rule clearly says that 100/- for the first time spotting and 300/- for the subsequent times. From the 100/-Rs slip its clear that all those cars were spotted for the first time.
Old 14th March 2014, 23:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

BBMP is broke.
They need money urgently. So they are looking for innovative means to collect money.
Unfortunately it is the poor citizen who pays.
Agreed that they should come down on the people who register their cars in pondy for lower taxes. They do need to pay for all the wonderful infrastructure that they are developing.
But not the poor IT guy who is here for short term work.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 23:49   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
BBMP is broke.
They need money urgently. So they are looking for innovative means to collect money..
Not sure where BBMP comes into picture.

I guess someone must file a PIL and moreover, seizing someones car should be questioned in court. As someone said, its quite difficult for people who stay for short term. The document seems to apply only to motor cabs and not LMV. Also someone should seek clarification about how exactly the RTO can determine how long the vehicle has been in state. Quite an issue for a person who gives monthly visit to karnataka and gets caught multiple times.
Old 15th March 2014, 04:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
I am also in the same situation. I had got my car from trivandrum last weekend since I couldn't get a bus ticket for the last minute trip. And was planning to drive back tomorrow. Now looks like I have to spend tomorrow in RTO office. I showed toll receipt, PUC certificate, even insurance. Everything was done in Trivandrum. The RTO inspector who caught me was unconvinced and not too pleased. He took my RC book, license and insurance paper . They are specifically targetting techies, as they were standing outside wipro gate on sarjapur road.
Now this is just harassment. What was the reason for taking you're documents especially since you're vehicle has only been operating for 7 days in Bangalore? Would suggest you take a printout of the HC Judgement as well as a copy of the Faq's from the RTO website ( it clearly says 11 months) with you while going to the RTO. By the way, which RTO caught you?
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 07:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
Maks a mockery of India as a Federal State. You pay "lifetime" tax she you buy a car in one state, shift to another state & pay "life time" tax all over again, and no one talks of a refund in the state you bought the car in the first place !!!! I wonder why no one has filed a PIL against this ? All we ask is a proper system of refunding paid tax in the state of purchase !!!!

I am sure the States can work out this among themselves instead of making us do the leg work…..!!

Not a mockery of federalism i suppose. Federalism means states can make their own laws as it suits them. I think this whole mess is because of federalism.

Problem here is, states make laws unilaterally without considering the inconveniences of people from outside the state. If the laws were made such that out-station vehicles could be taxed per month or year, more people would have come forward to pay the taxe. Life time tax for running for a year? Obviously, i'd take my chances than paying proactively.

Last edited by blacksport : 15th March 2014 at 08:17.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 09:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

For all those thinking of saving toll receipts, PUC etc, it may make sense to paste those receipts on an A4 size paper and have it laminated, till you make another fresh batch a few months later.

Had heard of an instance where the RTO official tore the toll receipts of someone who was trying to prove that he was from out of state and had entered just a few days back.

Having said that, pretty narrow minded view by the Bangalore RTO. When will we have a national central RTO with central road tax and freedom to move anywhere for any amount of time in India
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks