Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2007, 15:25   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Yes it is. Very very large percentage of cars are run stock by the buyers. Also a lot of rules are in place for a valid reason prime among them being the one of pollution control.

Maybe not a popular opinion to be expressed in an auto enthusiast forum like this one but it is a very valid one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Not just odd, but highly irresponsible, IF you think you have the prerogative to remove catalytic converters!
Just for some clarification here, how many of you have actually done emission tests with cat cons and without before coming to this conclusion? I know of quite a lot of cars without cat cons passing the emission tests easily. Infact, what is irresponsible is letting our auto drivers drive on kerosene, allowing 30 year old trucks and buses to ply on our roads. Because these are the ones that pollute the most. Including your friendly amby's, fiats, scooters and what not that are maintained horribly. How come none of you comment on such things or report them to the cops?

Irresponsibility does not come by only removing the cat con or doing mods. Irresponsibility also exists in the way we drive, the way we cut across lanes, overspeed, jump signals, don't wear seatbelts, don't maintain our cars well and the list goes on. Or is it that we only enjoy pointing fingers at others? Or start labeling those who do something differently?
Old 7th September 2007, 15:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few on this forum who enjoy their cars with modifications. Equally there are many who care about not transgressing law, common sense and their responsibility towards having a cleaner environment.
The fact that we end up saying there are lot of other bad things just goes to show that we are not happy with those things either.
Old 7th September 2007, 15:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Just for some clarification here, how many of you have actually done emission tests with cat cons and without before coming to this conclusion? I know of quite a lot of cars without cat cons passing the emission tests easily. Infact, what is irresponsible is letting our auto drivers drive on kerosene, allowing 30 year old trucks and buses to ply on our roads. Because these are the ones that pollute the most. Including your friendly amby's, fiats, scooters and what not that are maintained horribly. How come none of you comment on such things or report them to the cops?

Irresponsibility does not come by only removing the cat con or doing mods. Irresponsibility also exists in the way we drive, the way we cut across lanes, overspeed, jump signals, don't wear seatbelts, don't maintain our cars well and the list goes on. Or is it that we only enjoy pointing fingers at others? Or start labeling those who do something differently?

I completely agree with Mclaren. Even after removing my cat con and getting a free flow, my car has passed two emission tests clearly in the past one year. Just because someone has a modified ride doesn't mean that person is irresponsible and has no regard for the environment.
Old 7th September 2007, 17:23   #49
BHPian

Hats off to those tuners who feel they can fit a free flow, remove the existing catcon , and still maintain the same pollution levels as it was earlier , with the catcon. Any links on the same wil be welcome.

This , if true will be an invention all automobile companies will beg to use IMO.

Makes me wonder if thousands of Engineers working all over the world , spending billions of dollars to improve catcons and reduce emissions are all idiots.

Btw, why do auto companies fit costly catcons in their cars / bikes , if their engines pass emission norms without them?
Old 7th September 2007, 17:27   #50
Team-BHP Support

hey mods -- please remove my last post...

hypothesis #1:
the pollution checking instrument is not working correctly.
hypothesis #2:
the pollution checking instrument is not testing for emission that the cat con reduces.
Old 7th September 2007, 17:37   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

W12, I love the hint of sarcasm in your posts. But read carefully, I have posted about many of the cars I know which have passed emission tests easily. And I am not going to argue with you on this one. If you need proof, come to the next meet and I will be glad to show you some of the emission test reports of a few cars belonging to my friends. Or you are free to carry on a test on my car if you wish. I will head to your advice when you have the figures to prove otherwise.

Likewise, I can show you million other STOCK cars which pollute the environment more than maybe 5 cars put together without cat cons. Anyways, there is no point in arguing with people who think they could lecture the whole world (hiding behind their monitors) forgetting that they knowingly/unknowingly are harming the environment as well. So how many of drive tonga's or bullock carts? Last I heard any engine produces harmful emissions that will harm the environment. Did you take a walk to work today? How many of us have given up smoking because its harmful to the environment and to others as well?

Oh, btw modding engines also increases the efficiency with which they burn the fuel. I have often seen water leaking out of the exhaust of my car and a couple of other cars as well. Go figure what it indicates. And do show me how many of our stock cars can manage that.

PS: Don't expect me to reply on this topic anymore.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 7th September 2007 at 17:50.
Old 7th September 2007, 17:41   #52
BHPian

Well we must destroy these IITs and IIMs what use is there in a country like ours! You do anything independent and creative you will be crushed and redeculed. Some Judgemental fat bag sitting in a office would be doing my thinking of how my life should be.

Recently there was a member who wanted to modify his old Maruthi 800, i see most of the Cultural Zombies dont get what he wants and advised him on not wasting money on a old 800. What is money for then? why are we made to earn it when we cant burn it the way we want! Why should anyone be confused or guilty about spending his money the way he wants.

The whole world would be a better place if people had the honesty and the decency to speak for themselves and never for anyone else, then we would have had idiotic religions or messangers and dishonest saviors of mankind.

I knew i would say something rude if i opned this thread thats why i didnt, but today i couldn't resist!

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 7th September 2007 at 17:45.
Old 7th September 2007, 17:43   #53
Team-BHP Support

erm, monster, nice post, but in reply too....???
Old 7th September 2007, 17:52   #54
BHPian

In reply to your Article in the first page! did i miss something?
Old 7th September 2007, 17:57   #55
Team-BHP Support

Nope. Just came out of the blue when other were discussing emissions, hence the question.
Old 7th September 2007, 18:02   #56
BHPian

mclaren, Logically speaking 3 things can happen if you remove catcon and fit a free flow IMO.
1. the emission level increases
2. the emission level remains same
3. the emision level decreases

what wa sit in your case?

If some one has figured out a way to remove the catcon, fit a free flow and produce scenarios 2 or 3 , I will say Bravo and expect him to apply for global patent immediately, as it is a major major money spinner.

I have not come across such a technology documented and used so far . If you have , please do share.

Btw, neither did I advise you nor do I want to. As some one who is into design of engineering / auto components , I am really curious to know how this miraculous technology works. ( not to blow my trumpet, but I have a M.Tech in Engineering design from IISc , after my BE in mechanical engineering, so this subject excites me )

BTw , all modern petrol engines in proper tune , should leak water , on the first start in morning, till the exhaust heats up including the humble maruti 800 mpfi and they do. That is by no stretch modded.Now you go figure !

Yes, all engines produce emisions. Catcons are fitted by manufacturers to reduce the same and bring it below accepted levels.

Interesting to note you do not use a monitor , like others when you post. May be there is another technology which converts thoughts directly to posts . Wonders never cease !

Your point about using a tonga instead of freeflow, is good for a laugh. Thank you.

P>S> I dont expect you to reply as well , as you do not seem to having a valid point to make , which can be reinforced by documented data.

Last edited by w 12 : 7th September 2007 at 18:21.
Old 7th September 2007, 18:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
Modding cars??? Odd passion???
even if EVEN, a passion for cars does not justify removing cat converters or doing other things that cause environmental damage and/or break the law.
Old 7th September 2007, 18:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
mclaren, Logically speaking 3 things can happen if you remove catcon and fit a free flow IMO.
1. the emission level increases
2. the emission level remains same
3. the emision level decreases
To add to that, not everybody is a Mclaren or a TBHPian. Not everybody understands cat-con and free flow, just as not everybody understands seat belts and it's relationship to air bags.

Which is the primary reason GOVT has put rules to help and improve the overall environmental, safety, and other concerns. And that's the reason auto companies spend so much money to write out manuals to ensure people do the RIGHT THING.

The best you can do is ask for an exception for mods by a highly trained professional who can prove that his mods do not alter emissions, dynamics, chassis strength or anything that may cause harm to the fellow road users. This will require tax payer's money to setup such certifications, OR, the modder will have to do it on his own, which makes it a costly affair. But I personally don't see any other way out of it.

And I would rather want my tax money to be spent on bridges and schools and hospitals and much needed law enforcement and emergency services.
Old 7th September 2007, 18:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

on a lighter vein, talking about emissions from bullock/horse cart.

Holy Cow!
Old 7th September 2007, 19:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Oh, btw modding engines also increases the efficiency with which they burn the fuel. I have often seen water leaking out of the exhaust of my car and a couple of other cars as well. Go figure what it indicates. And do show me how many of our stock cars can manage that.
ALL 3 Maruti vehicles I've bought in the last 12 years dripped water from the tailpipe every morning at first start. No mods were required for this 'miracle' to happen.
Would be good if one checks for these little things equally/impartially BEFORE and AFTER mods both; not just AFTER the mods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks