Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2007, 08:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

Holding a PUC cert means very little in this context. With the hundreds of testing stations, there is no knowing how many are using calibrated equipment and whether all the specified parameters are being tested for.
I'd approach this from the other end - why were catcons made mandatory in the first place?
Old 10th September 2007, 08:45   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Why is it below the belt? To each his own. I don't go about preaching. If someone preaches, let him/her take such steps to ensure that his or her contribution to pollution is at a minimum.

To be able to point out one fault to a fellow citizen I do not have to be one hundred percent fault-free myself.
We all have our faults, and others may point them out to us.
I am, at the moment, not being as 'green' as I could be: I am needlessly consuming energy participating on this forum when there is really is no NEED for it. And I have an AC running as well! Without these, there is no danger whatsoever of my demise and nor are fellow countrymen going to be adversely affected or deprived by my not participating.

Last edited by anupmathur : 10th September 2007 at 08:48.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:58   #78
BHPian

The issue was the unscientific claims made earlier..e.g.
1. Fitting a FFE and removing catcon has no effect on emissions
2. Modded cars with FFE are more efficient than stock ones and hence their exhausts throw water on coldstart , unlike stock engines.

I see no scientific proof so far for both the above claims. All of us can do much more to save the environment. that does not mean one has to accept dubious claims made in a public forum.

Why are we comparing emissions of 15 year old vehicle with a bharat stage 2 / 3 vehicle ? To stretch this strange logic , we should junk all classics and oldies immediately as none of them will meet current norms in safety or emission.

Relevant question IMO is did the emission level of your car increase / decrease after you removed the catcon and fitted a FFE .? If it decreased , you have a money spinner in hand.

Where is 'preaching' coming in here ?

@v1p3r - not just MPFI , even modern carburetted engines in good tune emit water droplets in exhaust in the first start of the day. You might have noticed this in all pre mpfi carburetted marutis as well.

@ironwolf - if you have any data which says removing catcon does not increase the emissions , compared to what it was with catcon earlier , do share the same. And your cousins E -zen itself is illegal ,not just the FFE , unless he has got the engine swap notified in the RC book.

Last edited by w 12 : 10th September 2007 at 10:02.
Old 10th September 2007, 16:32   #79
BHPian

I never said an FFE will have same performance, or even will comply with stds, beause it can't. Maybe it can pass the roadside station test, because the station is looking for a lower standard. Maybe bad calibration or the standards itself.

My point is, you must comply with the law of the land. If you CAN comply with the law by using a FFE, who am I to object?

And isn't the matter very simple if it is illegal? Don't do it!! Don't like tha law? Either change it, or move somewhere that law does not apply!
Old 10th September 2007, 23:18   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post

@ironwolf - if you have any data which says removing catcon does not increase the emissions , compared to what it was with catcon earlier , do share the same. And your cousins E -zen itself is illegal ,not just the FFE , unless he has got the engine swap notified in the RC book.
W 12 - I was on the same page as you on my earlier post itself. Just to reconfirm. Here is me quoting myself

Quote:
They all passed emission tests without any issues. The members who feel that removing a cat con is going to drill a hole in the ozone layer should do a little research. I understand that its against the RTO regulations and all.....
What I was talking about was modded cars with FFE being within the stipulated norms so no point beating up those who have the FFE in terms of emmision. Its also pointless to undermine the Govt certified emission testing stations.

Anyway. I have a strong feeling the Mods are going to close this thread
Old 17th June 2016, 15:29   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Modification not allowed

Long time coming. Though against what TBHP enthusiasm is about. What next?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&id=1003165505

The MVAct does not allow for any method of registering modifications. You cannot even change the color of your vehicle.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 18:56   #82
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modification not allowed

Can't read the facebook post. Is this something new coming down the pipe?
Old 17th June 2016, 22:49   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Any modification on car is not legal according to MVD act. But it is not followed strictly anywhere.

Check fb page of Kiirus, they have remapped cars of police commissioner and even a state government bus. It is very difficult to keep this in check. Cars are modded everywhere and it's illegal in most of the countries.
Old 17th June 2016, 23:00   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

The Facebook post refers to Mumbai cops coming down on modded Bullet.
Old 17th June 2016, 23:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

The law was already present, just like noise level and the likes. As and when required, pull up one of these and make money out of it for a while and go to the next law which is noticed being mis-used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Check fb page of Kiirus, they have remapped cars of police commissioner and even a state government bus.
Why did they remap a bus??
For better fuel efficiency is what I can think.

Can't imagine what if the private buses in Kerala get re-mapped for more power.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 23:04   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Why did they remap a bus??
For better fuel efficiency is what I can think.

Can't imagine what if the private buses in Kerala get re-mapped for more power.
Yes, the bus was remapped for better efficiency. I too can't imagine buses remapped for more power . Public roads are like race track for most of the bus drivers.
Old 17th June 2016, 23:04   #87
Senior - BHPian

This act is there for ages but seldom implemented due to lack of resources and lack of interest in relevant departments. Punjab police is confiscating transformed cars as stretched limousines recently.
Old 18th June 2016, 00:05   #88
Team-BHP Support

Does this mean Dilip Chabria will go out of business?
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 07:19   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
More importantly, can he go to the Hague for crimes against the visually able?
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 11:32   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
One can always hope and pray, right?

Cheers
tilt is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks