Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 23:49   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon to get 1.0 liter Kappa Engine EDIT: Now launched (Page 3)

Hyundai Eon was always a very good looking car and now with the addition of The 1.0-litre Kappa petrol engine with VTVT its appeal has gone up in my opinion.

In small car segment having a size advantage is not necessarily an advantage as majority of the buyers belong to nuclear families and hardly use their cars to ferry 5 people. Hyundai have understood one thing well. Indians do not like cheap cars. Even in the smaller segments people look at aspirational value and feel good factor.

The Datsun Go for example is taller, wider and longer than Eon but does that mean it is the default winner? Eon has good interiors, a spacious boot amd a compact profile which helps in parking and maneuverability. Celerio Manual version is clearly overpriced and the interiors leave a lot to be desired plus its external appearance although subjective apes the Liva a bit too much.

One important thing people are forgetting is that with the addition of a VTVT 69 PS motor the Eon is going to be a zippy car to drive as it is extremely light. The all aluminum engine definitely aids in bringing the weight further down.

To sum it up the only things which were holding back Eon was the NVH levels, lack of engine refinement and poor bottom end performances. Now with the addition of 1 litre engine these issues are going to be a matter of history. I have criticized Hyundai in the past for having not provided a better engine option in Won but Hyundai have at-least woken up finally.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 10:54   #47
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Have Hyundai planned any test drive events for the media? This looks like a soft launch for the car - not surprising, as there is nothing new to the car itself.

The engine is what interests me. It may be a smaller version of the 1.2 lit. 4-cyl. 16-valve Kappa 2 VTVT engine, which is a gem. The smaller 3-cyl. Kappa 1.0 lit. is a 12-valve, all aluminium, chain-cam (DOHC) unit like its larger sibling. It has dual VTVT or variable valve timing on both sides, which is a first in this class of car. All these high technology bits lead to solid figures on paper - 69PS@6,200rpm (sounds like a free-revving, rev-happy unit) and 9.5kg.m@3,500rpm (looks like the drivability should be good too).

The proof of the pudding does lie in the eating. Only a comprehensive test drive report can tell how the engine and gearbox combo perform in the real world. It does look like a pocket rocket at first glance. The Eon is quite a light car and this engine should give it a power-to-weight ratio of over ~ 95PS/ton! Coupled with neutral handling, decent brakes and a good enough suspension (for its class), it should be one fun car to drive. Even more reason why Hyundai should quickly introduce the higher variants such as Sportz and Asta with the required safety features (airbags and ABS).

They can even introduce this engine in the original i10 (not Grand i10) if the drivability is good enough. While it does produce a bit less torque than the 4-cyl. 1.1 lit. iRDE2 unit, the power figures are the same, and this seems to be more rev-happy with a better top end. What's more, fuel efficiency should be better too. Just what the old i10 needs, in order to give the new kid on the block (Maruti Suzuki Celerio) a tough fight.

Last edited by RSR : 7th May 2014 at 10:58.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 18:43   #48
BHPian

I am keen to see an all around comparison between Eon 1.0 Ltr and the Alto k10.

More importantly the fuel economy of the 1 lit Kappa engine. The i10 1.2 Kappa engines aren't know for their fuel efficiency.

But the K10 provides both without compromising on the mileage.

Let us wait and watch.
Old 23rd May 2014, 17:55   #49
BHPian

Gents,

Has anyone managed to take a TD of the Eon 1.0? We took a TD of the Eon Magna+ today, and came back mighty impressed with the Eon as a city car package.

The SE had no idea when the 1.0 would be available for a TD. We want to consider that engine before we take the decision of booking the Magna+, as we believe that it could just turn out to be a great VFM product.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 09:42   #50
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
We want to consider that engine before we take the decision of booking the Magna+, as we believe that it could just turn out to be a great VFM product.
I guess you could check with a different dealer, to see if they are offering a test drive.

I too, would suggest that you check out the Kappa 1.0 lit. engine before booking the 0.8 lit. one. Unlike the 4-cyl. 1086cc Epsilon unit, the 3-cyl. 816cc one lacks the bottom end torque that would make city driving a breeze.

The new Kappa engine should be much better in this aspect. It also seems to be a very flexible engine (from the spec sheet, at least) with a strong top end - this should make the Eon 1.0 lit. a fun machine.

However, the 1.0 Magna+ variant does lose out on some features compared to the 0.8 lit. Magna+. The integrated music system, 2 front speakers, internally adjustable ORVMs and tilt-adjustable steering are missing on the 1.0 lit. Magna+. But it does gain a remote keyless entry system, which is missing on the 0.8 lit. Magna+ variant.

By the way, the 1.0 lit. Eon has slightly different dimensions when compared to its smaller engined sibling. It is 20 mm longer, but one cannot notice this without looking at the spec sheet. I think they must have increased the size of the front bumper (even if the shape is the same) and the steel structure behind it to accommodate the beefier cooling system of the new engine.
Old 8th March 2015, 10:48   #51
BHPian

I know this is a late reply, but I had a chance to test drive the Eon 1.0 a couple of days back. Although it was very brief, and I didn't get a chance to take pictures, I found the engine to be more refined when compared to the 813cc model. The NVH was better, and the engine definitely feels peppy. The sales guy claimed that the FE is only marginallly lesser (ARAI figures are only 0.9 KMPL lesser than the 813cc model).

I've booked this model, and will post a detailed review as soon as I get it.
sidzzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 17:01   #52

Any updates on the new Eon 1.0?

Note to Mods: Could we have a detailed comparison between the 0.8l and the 1.0 liter Eon please.
Old 14th December 2015, 11:01   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshavbhatia View Post
Any updates on the new Eon 1.0?

Note to Mods: Could we have a detailed comparison between the 0.8l and the 1.0 liter Eon please.
I know this is quite late, but better late than never. I've posted the ownership review of Eon 1.0. Hope it helps.
sidzzone is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks