Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2014, 21:38   #1
PCS
BHPian

Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates

Guys , had given my car for servicing today and the service advisor kindly showed me new etios but in favour requested me not to take pics. Sorry no pics. I agree that thread authenticity is only through pics as proof.... Trust me.

Launch is some time mid October.

New chrome grill. Looks awesome. Nissan Micra type if I can recollect.
AIRBAGS STANDARD FOR ETIOS AND LIVA !!!!! He says company has adopted new safety step.

Electric mirror
Reverse sensor
New fabric seat
Rear speaker total 6 speaker
Pearl white color
Sound buzzer for door , seatbelt and headlight on
New armrest finish (innova z like armrest colour)
New vx grade.

Last edited by GTO : 11th October 2014 at 12:24. Reason: Typos
PCS is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 21:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates

That's nice!

How about the interiors, in case you had a peek? Is the console still located at the center or has it been moved to the driver side? Did you notice an armrest as well? The older models never had one. That would be a really good addition.

Airbags standard on all the models sounds too good to be true! I hope it is.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 21:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the Etios "refresh" in all it's glory:

Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates-etios-front.jpg

Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates-etios-left-front.jpg

Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates-etios-rear.jpg

Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates-etios-interor-close.jpg

Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates-etios-interior.jpg

SOURCE (and more pictures) - Gaadi Waadi Blog
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 22:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, a nice scoop in the first place!

But, I wonder what is avoiding Toyota to have the instrument console at its correct place, i.e. behind steering. If they had corrected the location of instrument console when they added adjustable head restraint seats, I bet Etios twins could have had a bit better sales figures.

The central placement of instrument console gives it a very taxi-like feel and image. Improve this and with the facelift depicted above, Etios twins could be a good enough urban cars.

This, IMO, is a face-saving yet half hearted effort. No news on Vios as usual despite media stories running for it.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th October 2014 at 22:39.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 22:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

The word "new" is the most abused in India, especially in the automobile marketing scenario. I wonder what car makers would have to resort to when they do launch a completely new platform of an existing car. I remember when the the 2nd Gen Swift was launched many mistook it for just one of those regular face lifts.

Anyway coming to the Etios face lift, it's not going to make a difference to its most important customers-- the cabbies! The Liva is even worse, it doesn't have much takers either way.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 22:48   #6
BHPian

Hate the centre instrument console? Why don't they consider user feedback at all? That is just simply an eye sore and quite a big one.

Any mechanical changes expected? And any scoops on expected pricing and release date. Quite surprised that this news went under our radar for such a long time, though comparatively low interest in the car amongst our community explains it.

Both Liva and Etios are mechanically good cars, good vfm and Toyotas bullet proof reliability; but so poorly packaged and advertised that it fails to sparkle any interest. Hope Toyotas fortunes turns around with this update.

Thanks
Sunny
Autodoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 23:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess Toyota thought its the grill that was slowing down the sales of the Etios twins!

I do NOT understand what Toyota is trying to do! They are wasting money on changing silly things. Instead save all those money, do a major refresh!
swiftnfurious is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 23:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guess Toyota thought its the grill that was slowing down the sales of the Etios twins!

I do NOT understand what Toyota is trying to do! They are wasting money on changing silly things. Instead save all those money, do a major refresh!
Yes, spot on.

I'd like one AC vent next to the driver,and nice seats all around, maybe?
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 00:04   #9
BHPian

Addition of airbags as standard, if true, is the only saving grace. A new front grill can't hide a 20 year old design. I guess moving the instrument console to right would have cost Toyota too much, so they skipped it.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 01:20   #10
BHPian

And I thought the Amaze's interior was the bad one. This after a so called facelift??
Old 11th October 2014, 10:35   #11
BHPian

Superb! That's the way to go. After 4 years of detailed investigation and consumer feedback , the market research / strategy team at Toyota finally figured out that it was the grill that was the root cause of lower sales. To make up for it, not only did they change it but they also put beige on the interior! I am so impressed.

I expect it to be the number one seller bypassing the Swift - Dzire combo. Any chance that the management team at Chevy is free lancing at Toyota!?
trek is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 10:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

There's something seriously wrong with the guys working in Toyota's market survey team and the product team.

The Etios did not need a new chrome grill and beige interiors. It needed a totally new design, better feel (read sheet metal changes) and a new dashboard design!!! This will do absolutely nothing to improve the sales.

They have done the same goof up with the Liva. The Liva 1.5 TRD is a brilliant fun to drive car but Toyota have skimped out on features. That flat bottom steering, rear parcel shelf, rear defogger with wiper and fog lamps should be standard for a TRD sporty model. It would make it a worthy option to the Swift but Toyota skimped on features.

Same with the Altis missing out on segment standard features and we all know the horrific job on the Innova facelift.

They are losing the plot and messing up the strategy big time. Someone needs to overhaul the marketing/product team and get guys who understand the market better.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 11:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with all the sentiments expressed above. Very very disappointing! Reminds me of the old Amby Mark 2/Mark 3 and so on - with a new grille meaning new model.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 12:08   #14
BHPian

As a Toyota fan, I want this to fail miserably, so that some questions are asked and lessons learnt.

Over the past year, I have driven rental Toyotas across 3 countries and can clearly see the quality slipping. Each new version is worse than the model it is replacing.
India just happens to be the worst example of the bunch.

I am actually concerned that Toyota is being sabotaged from within.
prashanthyr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 12:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

What a waste of a facelift!

I really thought the instrument panel has been moved behind the steering wheel and the dashboard might have received a complete makeover but this looks like a missed opportunity for Toyota. The front grille does not make it appear any better.

This won’t make an iota of difference to the sales of the Etios or the Liva.

Most Viewed