Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Taking a wild guess. By any chance a diesel AT for the I20 ? The back change is only for a mislead.
AT would not need significant road testing (Specially with maskings) as the Verna is already available with a diesel AT. Mating a lower spec engine to the same transmission should not be a hassle for Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
This could mean that Hyundai has no immediate plans to bring Ix25 to India.
ix25 is not a sub 4m vehicle and the prime target would be the Renault Duster. There is a significant price difference between this i20 cross and the ix25 if it gets introduced.

I think the ix25 will definitely come our way. There is just too much action between Ford Ecosport, Mahindra XUV 5OO and Renault Duster that Hyundai just cannot ignore.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

If I am not wrong, their only other choice is ix25 and I think it would be too expensive.
I am not sure about the duty/tax structure in China, but prices start around 11L for the ix25 out there. So I agree - Hyundai might be interested in a cross, and this might as well be the i20 based compact "SUV"!

What else could it be?
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Grand i10 to me. i20 is already having a seep price and yet selling well. I dont think Hyundai would want to offer us a hatchback that costs above 10L on the road here in Bangalore !!
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

More on the Elite i20 Cross.
Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-img_2192.jpg

source:Gaadi.com
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:37   #20
BHPian

Re: Hyundai ix25 Compact SUV caught testing in India

OMG!

This comes with the projector headlamps which were missing on the Indian Elite i20.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/hyundai...-testing-india
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Projectors on the headlamps clearly visible!
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:56   #22
BHPian

I am confusted about GC. If the GC is not increased then it will remain a crossover on paper only.Going by the recent image I dont think Hyundai has made any changes to the Ground clearance. 170mm will be too less for this vehicle, need 190-200mm minimum.

On second thoughts, this could be Hyundai HB20X ( or I20X for Indian market).
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-h1600x350.jpg  

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-20121023044953_hyundaihb20x14.jpg  

Last edited by rahul412 : 22nd October 2014 at 15:07.
rahul412 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Taking a wild guess. By any chance a diesel AT for the I20 ? The back change is only for a mislead.
Same thing crossed my mind as well. I too thought it might be an Elite i20 with a different set of mechanicals. In fact I was thinking that.

1) Hyundai have introduced two new turbo charged petrol engines. Out of which the kappa T-GDI will power the new i20.
Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...otor-show.html
They may be testing the new engine in Indian conditions for a release later next year. (Purely speculation from my side, I don't have any sources to confirm this)
2) There was also talk of a dual clutch gearbox in line with the DSG. Maybe they are trying this gearbox G-TDI combo on the Elite (not sure if they can be mated together. But as I Said above, whats wrong in speculating)

Replace the Kappa G-TDI in pt 2 with the Gamma 1.4G-TDI and we would have a killer Engine+GB combo: Again speculating. It may never see the light of the day.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:49   #24
BHPian

Rahul, good observation on the HB20X, but I don't think HMIL will invest so much on a new platform. The HB20 is unique to Brasil, and the Hyundai Brazilian operations went ahead and added roof-rails, cladding et al and introduced the HB20X. I think the India operations are going to do something similar to the Indian-spec (elite) i20!

As others have pointed out, no GC increase will not make much sense. Also, the engine (if offered in petrol guise) cannot only be a 1.2l mill! They should also offer the 1.4l as an option that came with the erstwhile i20 AT. C'mon Hyundai, even the HB20X comes with the 1.6l engine!
carZest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 16:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
On second thoughts, this could be Hyundai HB20X ( or I20X for Indian market).
Not sure how big the market in India is for cross variants and whether Hyundai would be interested in it. Only other reason I can see is that they are using India as test bed for testing models for other countries.
Old 22nd October 2014, 17:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Not sure how big the market in India is for cross variants and whether Hyundai would be interested in it.
Market for a crossover based on i20 could be big actually may be Hyundai has sensed this hence this attempt. I20x could give competition to the, soon to be launched, SX4.
Old 22nd October 2014, 17:38   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More on the Elite i20 Cross.

source:Gaadi.com
The alloys seen in the picture posted looks similar to the ones on the Fiat Avventura.

Here is the pic:

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-elite-crosshorz.jpg

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 20:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cross variants are usually reserved for slow-sellers who've been around since a while (e.g. Punto, Polo, Liva). Neither is the i20 a sales laggard (it shipped 9000 units last month), nor is it old (just launched).

I'm not so sure this is a cross variant, but am very curious to know what's under the camouflage.

Personally, I don't think Hyundai should waste their time with a cross. Get the real compact SUV instead!
+1 to your comments. I find the cross variants absolutely offering no added benefit from the regular models except for some cosmetic changes. It's purely a marketing gimmick to boost sales. When the Toyota Cross was being launched, I had randomly inquired with various Toyota Dealerships that can they modify my existing Liva by way of offering some Body Kits as there was no changes to engine and the mechanical's , and the replied I got varied from being hilarious to outrageous. One guy said that it can not be done as it involved drilling a lot of holes in the car, to which a prospective Liva Cross customer said that does it mean there will be a lot of holes in the cross Liva thus making it susceptible to water seepage

As pointed out by GTO I also strongly feel Hyundai should bring the Compact SUV soon. Its high time we see a competent product to challenge the Ecosport. In the absence of an appropriate alternative Ford is literally taking Ecosport customers for a ride.
Old 25th October 2014, 22:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...On second thoughts, this could be Hyundai HB20X ( or I20X for Indian market).
In all probability, NO! The ORVMs do NOT match! But it' the same as the Elite i20. Now, what differentiation will the HB20X has over Elite i20? For the (majority of) Indian customers, it will be just another "hatch" with some style elements and this would NOT justify the ROI for Hyundai for sure.

I for one, would NOT want a high sitting hatch from Hyundai. With low clearance, those are boats; (yeah, the Elite i20 is a good improvement) what will a 190 mm GC hatch feel like!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th October 2014 at 22:18. Reason: Added the second portion.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 22:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Wow, how the times have changed!

My Zen came with black plastic bumpers originally and a few years later, the body colored bumpers started becoming the norm of the highers variants while lower variants had the black bumpers. Now, it seems to have taken a full circle and the highest variant gets the black bumpers back in the guise of a "Cross" label, while lower variants get body colored bumpers!

This seems to be an i20 with some plastic cladding and roof rails, and probably a few features, going by the projector headlamps.
zenren is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks