Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2015, 13:50   #121
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross

If past trends are any indication, companies do not achieve much by launching these 'cross' versions of hatches. Hyundai may however buck the trend.
Rakkum13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 13:55   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Its only the interiors (subjective again) where Etios lacks finesse. Its so cheap to maintain as well....

While things like looks, driving experience etc can be subjective- what certainly isn't subjective is the interior quality. Etios Cross is nowhere near the Hyundai cars when it comes to the materials used for the cabin. The only saving grace for the Etios Cross is an all black dashboard with a piano black console which lends it a better feel than the Etios / Liva.

And then there is the difference in standard features offered!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 15:37   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
While things like looks, driving experience etc can be subjective- what certainly isn't subjective is the interior quality. Etios Cross is nowhere near the Hyundai cars when it comes to the materials used for the cabin. The only saving grace for the Etios Cross is an all black dashboard with a piano black console which lends it a better feel than the Etios / Liva.

And then there is the difference in standard features offered!
You are right. Though the plastic quality in both is at par, its the packaging where i20 is far ahead. Other components in the interiors are better in i20 for sure.

However the price difference between the two so-called-cross variants would also be huge.

The current Elite Asta itself borders on 1 million, the on-road price that is. (Rs. 9,92,838 is the on road price as per the dealer; 8,13,527 being the ex-showroom). So the Active variant has to be priced higher, with the DRL, projector HL 17" wheels et al.

The ex-showroom price for Etios cross VD on the other hand is cheaper than the i20 Asta by almost 30K, which translates to a significant amount in the on-road price tag. Add to that Toyota's low cost of ownership, there is significant monetary benefit by choosing the Etios cross. The features on offer in the Etios Cross though is purely utilitarian, still seems good while comparing the cost difference/ benefits.

Note: I have taken the diesel variants of both the cars for the above comparison.

Last edited by vinjosep : 14th March 2015 at 15:43.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 17:46   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Note: I have taken the diesel variants of both the cars for the above comparison.
The big difference is the petrol when it comes to engines. The Etios cross with the 1.5L engine is much more superior than the 1.2L in the elite and the active i20.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 18:14   #125
BHPian

I think these so called cross cars are a fad. They offer no real value compared to 'normal' version of the same car. They will not stand the test of the time.

The real cross cars (read monocoque small SUVs like Duster, Ecosport, S-Cross, iX25) is the genre that is likely to stay.

Specifically a cross car which isn't a fun to drive is a travesty of the idea. Thumbs down to i20 Active. The understanding of Indian manufacturers towards cross cars is akin to what Krrish is to X-Men.

Elite i20 remains an uber cool urban transport.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 02:10   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Though the plastic quality in both is at par
Sorry. I don't agree with this one. The plastics and other materials used on the Toyota feel really cheap. The seat covers for instance, even the grain of the dashboard plastics or the type of switchgear used, the quality of the keyfob etc are all examples.

Quote:
The features on offer in the Etios Cross though is purely utilitarian, still seems good while comparing the cost difference/ benefits.

The same huge difference exists between the Liva and the i20 models. Does that translate to sales?

I have been to Toyota showrooms couple of times to know more about Etios Cross sales and came to know that people mainly buy for the unique look and nothing else. Most common colour is orange too. Toyota dealers are infact a happy lot with the response received for the Cross. Also, more than walk in enquiries for the Cross, they get more convert customers who walk in more Liva / Etios and end up checking out this instead that's to it being unique.

If Hyundai can keep the price levels good compared to the i20 Elite and yet manage to attract the crowd looking for the unique crosshatch looks- they can have their piece of this small pie IMO.

Two other points to note IMO-

1. I20 has a waiting period even with 10k sales per month. Some of those customers might be willing to spend extra on the Cross for an early delivery.

2. I20 customers are those already willing to pay sedan amounts on a hot hatch. If anything - as far as the masses are concerned - this is a hotter version with DRLs, projectors etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 13:56   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sorry. I don't agree with this one. The plastics and other materials used on the Toyota feel really cheap. The seat covers for instance, even the grain of the dashboard plastics or the type of switchgear used, the quality of the keyfob etc are all examples.
You are referring to the packaging (which in designer's words is all about aesthetics etc, apart from other functional aspects..). The quality of plastics used in Liva is definitely good & durable but it looks cheap. i20's plastics are not that superior in comparison, but they feel and look good. The material for seats are also not bad (it comes from Johnson Controls again). What is not so good is again the packaging. The thickness of the form etc etc. There are certain components in Liva which are outright bad - carpets for the roof and the floor, for e.g.

Anyways, end result is that the perception still remains that it is cheap. i20 scores on this front.

Quote:

The same huge difference exists between the Liva and the i20 models. Does that translate to sales?
Again shows that the majority of the customers in India want quality and aesthetics. For the money conscious Etios Cross does the job, espeically if you are looking for the petrol variant. For others its i20 Active for sure.

Quote:

If Hyundai can keep the price levels good compared to the i20 Elite and yet manage to attract the crowd looking for the unique crosshatch looks- they can have their piece of this small pie IMO.

Two other points to note IMO-

1. I20 has a waiting period even with 10k sales per month. Some of those customers might be willing to spend extra on the Cross for an early delivery.

2. I20 customers are those already willing to pay sedan amounts on a hot hatch. If anything - as far as the masses are concerned - this is a hotter version with DRLs, projectors etc.
Totally with you, especially the bold text. The chances of i20 Active having good sales figures (at least in the first few months) is high. Pricing would be the key here. The Verna is not so far from Elite as of today.

Last edited by vinjosep : 15th March 2015 at 14:04.
Old 15th March 2015, 18:31   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Differences in the two interior-schemes can be seen prominently in IAB's review of the i20 Active.

Tangerine Orange scheme: (for darker exterior shades)

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activepetroltangerineorangereview1024x678.jpg

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activepetroldashboardreview1024x678.jpg

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activepetrolseatsreview1024x678.jpg

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activepetrolseatreview1024x678.jpg

Aqua Blue scheme: (for lighter exterior shades)

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activedieselaquabluedashreview1024x678.jpg

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activedieselaquablueinteriorreview1024x678.jpg

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activedieselaquablueseatsreview1024x678.jpg

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activedieselaquabluerearseatsreview1024x678.jpg

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activedieselaquabluerearseatreview1024x678.jpg

The boot space looks to be the same as the Elite i20.

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-hyundaii20activedieselbootreview1024x678.jpg

SOURCE - IAB

Also, the i20 Active walkaround video, courtesy Zigwheels:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th March 2015 at 18:47.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 19:57   #129
BHPian

The projector headlamps on the i20 active are most probably Bi-Xenons. The Halogen part of the headlamps are only for cornering function, just like in XUV 500, and not for the high beams.
Checked out a friend's Verna today and the projectors on it were Bi xenon (2015 model). I have advised him to install HIDs in the projectors for ultimate performance.

Now wondering when Hyundai launches the Asta(O) trim with these headlamps on the regular elite i20 hatch. I dislike the cross interiors. Blue is overdone and orange is tacky.
Old 16th March 2015, 00:26   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Differences in the two interior-schemes can be seen prominently in IAB's review of the i20 Active.

Tangerine Orange scheme: (for darker exterior shades)
Is the one with Orange interior a lower spec? It doesn't have orange on the gear knob; neither does it look premium! I find the orange inserts better than the blue, except for the gear knob. But then, the gear knob replacement (with regular black) would NOT be expensive I hope.

Edit::

Does this also mean that the headlamps with DRLs can be a stock replacement and the Elite i20 may have the option to activate the DRLs (using the scanner / machine like Skoda / VW) ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th March 2015 at 00:29.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 09:31   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is the one with Orange interior a lower spec? It doesn't have orange on the gear knob; neither does it look premium! I find the orange inserts better than the blue, except for the gear knob. But then, the gear knob replacement (with regular black) would NOT be expensive I hope.

Does this also mean that the headlamps with DRLs can be a stock replacement and the Elite i20 may have the option to activate the DRLs (using the scanner / machine like Skoda / VW) ?
Yes. The Tangerine Orange interior was with the Red Passion exterior shade, and it's the Petrol. Since the petrol i20 Active won't be offered with a top variant, I am assuming it's the S variant.

I guess they did away with the SX petrol because of 2 reasons - it might be encroaching Verna petrol territory, and because they have to price the ix25 competitively too. It would have gone the previous-gen i20 Asta (O) petrol way - compelling variant but very few takers.

5 variants on offer, which means:

Petrol - Base, S.

Diesel - Base, S, SX.

They might not offer the projector headlamps+DRLs for the Elite i20, since that will take away the novelty of the Active, hence dent it's premium over the Elite. The Active might not find too many takers at it's price points if this replacement is offered by Hyundai to the Elite buyers.

I think these headlamps will remain exclusive to the Active. The Elite is selling 10,000 monthly units regularly and is commanding a waiting period without these headlamps anyway.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 15:51   #132
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The additional 20mm of GC is very welcome! The i20 Active's 190mm should be good enough to negate that long front overhang over the worst of unscientific speed breakers and the steepest of entrance/exit ramps. The Active may not come close to being a soft-roader, but the raised suspension should do enough to make it a hatch that can tackle all kinds of road conditions. In case one wants even more, the tyres can be changed to increase the overall diameter, and the raised suspension should help in performing such a swap.

The other big improvement is on the illumination front - projector headlamps (bi-xenons?), cornering lamp function and LED DRLs. It would have been better if they had included a rear fog lamp or a second reverse lamp.

So the S variant does not get a passenger airbag or climate control, but does get reverse parking sensors, rear-view camera, electro-chromic IRVMs and electrically foldable ORVMs among other stuff. I hope the base variant also gets a driver airbag.

Last edited by RSR : 16th March 2015 at 15:52.
Old 17th March 2015, 13:17   #133
BANNED

Mod Note: Our i20 Active Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Going with the pricing of i20 Active, I get a feeling that ix25 will be priced certainly above Ecosport and may be even above duster/toreno. Expensive days ahead.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2015 at 14:42. Reason: Linking to i20 Active Report
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks