Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 15:31   #76
BHPian

Re: October 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I was just wondering, does TBHP have such figures for the luxury segments as well?
Old 10th November 2014, 08:20   #77
BHPian

I have been trying to get a Highline Passat for the last 3 months and all the dealers I spoke to told me there is no stock available even at the factory but it's surprising to see dispatches in September.
Old 10th November 2014, 08:51   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
....Just a small query, why are no Audi / BMW / Merc etc never reported in this thread ever. Pardon my ignorance if this question has been answered earlier as I am relatively new to team-BHP....
This has been answered in earlier threads. Audi/ BMW/ Merc do not wish to share their numbers due to 'business reasons'. Guess, they don't want to come out for an open brawl on who is at the top of the charts (though Audi looks to be at the top with current momentum); and prefer to it duel it out at their premium board rooms!!
Old 10th November 2014, 09:07   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkrishnan4 View Post
This has been answered in earlier threads. Audi/ BMW/ Merc do not wish to share their numbers due to 'business reasons'. Guess, they don't want to come out for an open brawl on who is at the top of the charts (though Audi looks to be at the top with current momentum); and prefer to it duel it out at their premium board rooms!!

If you position yourself as a premium top end brand, you might not want to be associated by something mundane as who sells the most. Whatever is most, is likely to be seen as for the masses and certainly wont get you associated with exclusivity. Cant have any Tom, Dick or Harry buy into this segment. Of course, in reality any punter who has the necessary goodies can buy any of these cars, but of course the brands like to pretend something different. They don't always succeed. Not everybody associates owners/drivers of these cars with anything particularly enlightening. It is a well known fact that driving for instance a BMW in many European countries is a bit of a chore. Nobody will ever let you pull in. They will give you the finger before letting you cut in.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 12:52   #80
BHPian

My take-
1.Despite strong competition WagonR still holds the fort clocking 12k & above numbers consistently. We hardly get to see Stingray model on road, thus we can safely assume that the normal model almost single-handedly clocks this number! If we look from buyer’s perspective, there is only one reliable option between Alto & Swift (from MSIL stable), and that is the WagonR. I agree that we have Celerio & Ritz in between, but Celerio except AMT does not offer anything special against WagonR. Ritz is costly & many don’t like the rear design, and if one puts some extra bucks, there’s Swift. WagonR is cheaper to buy & maintain, is specious and carries better image on road than entry level hatches.

2.How on earth the Santro still sells? It’s not been updated/face-lifted in many years and carries age old mechanical design (engine, transmission etc). May be the same reason like WagonR? Spacious & cheap to maintain?

3.Looks like initial euphoria for Mobilio got settled quickly than anticipated? May be, people started realizing that except from ‘H’ batch, there is no serious reason to put a million rupee on half-baked product l Ertiga (the main competitor) has gained the lost market in last 2 months, as this is looked as a better VFM product over Mobilio.

4.Many believed that buyers would not be interested to spend a million rupee over Maruti product. But, Ciaz proved that it was a wrong assumption. Dethroning the mighty City is a serious note, and we should give due credit to MSIL for developing a VFM package learning from past mistakes, and marketing it brilliantly. I understand that this is too early to say about success of Ciaz, but this car is here to stay for longer time even if it does not stay on top consistently. As somebody mentioned earlier, despite the non-availability of ZDI+(O) and auto tranny, Ciaz has pulled these number. I wonder if that will increase further after addition of these trims?

5.Despite the strong marketing/advertisements, reduced prizing, loading with features, and providing cutting edge technologies like DSG (now in Diesel too), SCODA Rapid is not pulling the desired numbers. Looks like people are not interested in current generation Rapid (may be aged early), and Scoda should quickly address this by launching a completely revamped design (aesthetic) for Rapid. Or ASS of Skoda is the only issue from a buyers perspective?

6. Sad to see that unsafe Omni still sells and being used as School van for kids & as a ambulance
Old 10th November 2014, 13:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
Many believed that buyers would not be interested to spend a million rupee over Maruti product. But, Ciaz proved that it was a wrong assumption. Dethroning the mighty City is a serious note, and we should give due credit to MSIL for developing a VFM package learning from past mistakes, and marketing it brilliantly. I understand that this is too early to say about success of Ciaz, but this car is here to stay for longer time even if it does not stay on top consistently. As somebody mentioned earlier, despite the non-availability of ZDI+(O) and auto tranny, Ciaz has pulled these number. I wonder if that will increase further after addition of these trims?
Little early to praise the Ciaz nos. First of all City's production was not in full swing last month and with 2nd shift production we can expect much better nos. of City . Ciaz should settle at 4000-5000 nos. and City should regain the 6500-7000 no. mark consistently.
karanraheja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 13:40   #82
BHPian

Thanks for the Excellent report once again.
It is interesting to see Ciaz eating in to City !
I feel good for Fiat , good numbers on Evo.
I fail to understand Honda's strategy for Brio and what caused the increase in numbers for this model. Many times it appeared as if Honda was not keen on pushing Brio over Amaze and City Diesel.
Old 10th November 2014, 14:11   #83
BHPian

I recently bought an Amaze. While at the showroom, the sales guy was surprisingly candid in admitting that the Mobilio sales were getting cold. No footfalls or interest.

To me, it is more than just positioning. If you are buying a car that costs close to 8.5L OTR, it cannnot have the interiors of a car thats 2L cheaper. The mobilio just does not justify the cost despite having 7 (terribly cushioned) seats. An automatic would have been a true differentiator but alas.

Makes me think that Honda has still not learnt from its Jazz lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Honda has taken quite a beating in Oct and I don't think its due to switching priorities between models. The total volume has come down in Oct by quite a margin compared to the previous 3.

July: 15701
Aug: 16758
Sept: 15014
Oct: 13242

Quite stellar numbers being pulled in by the WagonR. Can only wonder where the AMT unit is going to take it. And very nice to see good showing by the new i20. But Verna is on a steady drop. And sad to see the weak numbers by the Fiesta. That car ought to sell more, a lot more.
Khushrav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 16:05   #84
BHPian

[quote=Makes me think that Honda has still not learnt from its Jazz lessons.[/QUOTE]
I beg to differ. Honda learnt a lot from Jazz. Sadly those lessons have been detrimental to the buyer who looks towards Honda as a class differentiating and reliable vehicle. I think Honda had very high hopes on the Jazz, after all it was a vehicle that was uncompromising. They trusted their customer base to lap it up, no matter the price. After all the city was priced higher and still sold better.
With the Jazz out, Honda surely restructured itself to break into the lower segments. The Brio, followed by the Amaze and now the Mobilio have all arrived while the Accord and Civic have moved out of the picture, Honda now projects the City as its premium product. Just a few years ago, the city was its lowest segment. Clearly Honda has decided to go the Suzuki way. I am keen to know the NCAP results for these new Honda's.
I understand that Honda will increase its numbers with this approach but wouldn't their image take a dent in the coming years.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 16:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I beg to differ. Honda learnt a lot from Jazz. Sadly those lessons have been detrimental to the buyer who looks towards Honda as a class differentiating and reliable vehicle. I think Honda had very high hopes on the Jazz, after all it was a vehicle that was uncompromising.
I agree with Khushrav when he says it for Mobilio.
Lets not compare Jazz & Mobilio here. Jazz was a premium hatch with premium features & interiors, thus Honda commanded premium for it over other hatches. But, it was too much and by the time i20 was available in the market at better price, and was considered as VFM over Jazz. Thus i20 became a instant hit and Jazz failed.

Mobilio is a different case. It is based on a Brio platform which sits below premium hatches (Polo/Swift/I20 etc), but Honda has priced it as if this is a premium vehicle, which it is not!
On the other hand, Ertiga is based on Swift platform which is considered as premium hatch, and is priced lesser by a lakh & more. Honda has clearly missed the opportunity to price Mobilio correctly and did not learn from Jazz at least for this one.
Aficionados is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 17:08   #86
BHPian

Thanks very much for sharing the data.

Why there are no sales figures of Mahindra Thar Since June 2014. Since I own a Thar, I am curious to know how is it doing month on month. If anyone has it, kindly share.

Swami
Old 10th November 2014, 20:19   #87
BHPian

Chevrolet :
  1. Beat lost 600 units per month compared to July
  2. Enjoy lost another 600 units per month compared to July
  3. Sail twins are doing 300 odd units better since July
Honda has the Amaze, City and Mobilio which had collectively set the charts on fire. Whats happened?

Hyundai: The Verna now running a lot slower, a distant third behind the double C’s (Ciaz and City). I wonder what do they have up their sleeves to bring the Verna back in the reckoning in this segment. The Elite i20 is blazing away.

Mahindra: Is the Scorpio settling back to its pre facelift numbers? The XUV500 is going ok, with the discounts helping its cause, and possibly tempting buyers in the 10+ lakh sedan segment.

Maruti: The Celerio is below the 6000 mark for the first time since the time it first got to that mark in July. What happened to the Gypsy? A 1000+ count. Must be a consignment delivered to a government body. The Swift is down, possibly due to the facelift not reaching dealers in numbers, and probably not because of the deservedly negative publicity it has received recently. The discounts are working for the WagonR, but not for the more accomplished Ritz.

I have always wondered who buys the 6000+ Omni’s and 4000+ Eeco’s. All the other manufacturers would love such numbers on their more accomplished products.

Nissan: The Sunny is losing steam. The facelift is not that far in the past, while Hover breakup is long in the past. The Sunny is supposed to be the cash cow, with the Terrano supporting decently. Not working for Nissan. Does it have any products coming in the market? What are its alternative strategies? Does not look too bright for it.

Tata: What happened to Aria? 24? I think the Zest is fishing in Indica and Manza waters to a good extend, with its own charm also working for it. Good to see the Nano on a steady up.

Renault: Pulse and Scala just doubled, tripled their numbers for the past couple of months. Nothing to write about for Renault. It is stagnant after the discounts on the Duster, and in my opinion, it should revamp the interiors of the Duster to take another dig at increasing its chances.

Toyota numbers are consistently up as a manufacturer, but wonder if it’s the whole story. The Etios twins have done better, possibly because of the facelifts being pushed to dealers. However, how much the safety features on these two cars have to do with the bump is to be seen. We would be pleasantly surprised if the Indian market responds to these safety features with an affirmative.

VW Polo is consistently up and so is the Vento. A goodbye to the Toureg.
Old 10th November 2014, 22:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Thanks very much for sharing the data.

Why there are no sales figures of Mahindra Thar Since June 2014. Since I own a Thar, I am curious to know how is it doing month on month. If anyone has it, kindly share.

Swami
Please refer to my post # 31 on page 3. Thar numbers come to 870 units - which if you come to think of it, are quite substantial for a relatively niche / lifestyle vehicle. I have calculated the Thar numbers by subtracting the figures mentioned in Team BHP from the total passenger vehicle sales figures reported by Mahindra to the media.
Old 11th November 2014, 14:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

It would be interesting to see the fate of "Go" in the coming months, though I doubt if anything is going to happen to "Swift" sales due to the NCAP disaster.

Nissan should look at the available product-line elsewhere, which could be a straight fit for India and should bring it ASAP in order to gain some traction. India in any case can also serve as export hub for Nissan and thus producing new product will stay cost effective if exports can be managed from here.

Many players like Ford & Suzuki have done "Round Ribbon" in past by shifting their export hubs to various regions to introduce new products with minimal risk by accommodating exports from such territories.

Hyundai is doing wonders with constant product upgrade and new launches and is almost certain of retaining the No. 2 position for the years to come. It if for Honda, Toyota, Mahindra and Tata to continue their fight for No. 3, which will entirely depend upon the entry of new products, change in regulations (I am very keen to see how introduction of new safety norms brings in change in the packing order among peers).

Honda needs to introspect as the quality concerns over recent product launches are raising eyebrows; MSIL needs to looks at safety aspects as the concerns are growing and regulations are right at the corner which may deter their major product portfolio from sale unless complied with the law.

Cheers
Old 12th November 2014, 12:14   #90
BHPian

As the public is spoiled with lots of options in each and every segment, selecting a car has become very difficult. It would be better, if some respective agencies take up the initiative of giving rating to all the new products. It can be multi disciplinary like, safelty, economy, performance, VFM etc. (Like star rating of ACs)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks