Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 18:04   #61
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
i live in the Nordics and it's not all that bad here...in case you are still trying to 'punish' the designer there are other places.
You are right, I need to allow my imagination to run "amok" a bit !!
Old 28th May 2015, 18:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
This double decker on wheels is not going to be a hit no matter how many facelifts are given. The proportions are odd, the ride is super bouncy, rolls like a leaning tower of Pisa and kerb weight is a bit too much for a vehicle in it's class. What Mahindra needs to realize and accept is that this product is a dead end and concentrate on the other compact SUV's they are working on.
Fully agree, this vehicle is unfortunately a poor attempt. They should simply stop wasting their time on this and concentrate on making the scorpio and XUV 5OO niggle free.
Old 29th May 2015, 00:20   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
The next face lift, which is sure to come up in a few montjs, will be called Canto 1, the next one Canto 2 and so on
Bro, did you mean Canto 1 "double ooh", Canto 2 "double ooh"
Old 29th May 2015, 09:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

There is some inherit problem in Mahindra's design team. Every design they make, has to look over the top, too many cuts, creases, false appliques, plastic bits, fairings and what not. Either it is a silly thought process flowing down from the top management (the Mahindra buck teeth grills), or it is the over enthusiastic designers trying to do something no one has done before.
Consider the Scorpio. The very first iteration was a simple boxy shape, and IMO it looked the best, no nonsense butch SUV, each successive upgrade made it look more grotesque and the latest one is decent to look at from the front and hilarious from the rear with that extra bulge at the tailgate.
Likewise the Logan was a decent no nonsense shape when it was launched and when Mahindra turned it into the Verito, it now looks like a Chinese car brand!!

They actually did a decent job with the new Xuv in toning down the weird shape, but left that mismatched eyebrow and the fog lamps, just to remind us it is a Mahindra.

Quanto and Xylo are decent cars from the interiors, but the only drawback is they are super ugly to look at. The Quanto has the look of a Doberman or some other breed which seems to miss its tail, a sudden end at the rear.

The Mahindra Mojo looks like some jugaad motorbike, thank god its not been launched yet.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:38   #65
BHPian

Basically they need to follow Bajaj to get their wits started. Until the scooter division was separated from the bike division, Bajaj was biting its own tail. For some reason the Indian manufacturers are unable to produce anything decent looking without outside help. Case in point Mahindra, Hero, TVS. Mahindra needs to replace its head honchos who approve these projects with people who at least loves automobiles a little more than their lunch boxes. Make a clay model or scaled prototype of the intended vehicle and get feedback from top auto journalists or car enthusiasts and then head for production. If nothing is working then get the design done from reputed companies from outside. They can save a ship load of money.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 17:12   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Bro, did you mean Canto 1 "double ooh", Canto 2 "double ooh"
Hahaha, what I meant was Canto 1, verse(ion) 2 type. Yours is even better

Seriously speaking, why should they put a dent in their image when they can scrap the project what with the opinions floating around that they have invested very little.

Quanto doesn't cater to taxi market as do very many Xylos and a few M2Di Scorpois. As a personal vehicle, it doesn't have much potential. And it has become a joke.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 20:07   #67
BHPian

One would not complain much about Quanto's front, which has been further enhanced.
Problem was with breadbox rear and it has been given least attention.
Did Mahindra really want to facelift the Quanto - because at best this is half hearted approach, and definitely Mahindra is not that bad for facelifts (example Scorpio, XUV etc).
Old 30th May 2015, 21:31   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you to the Team-BHP fan who sent this information to us (he prefers to remain anonymous).
Understandable. Nobody would want to publish the fact that they were chosen to drive this thing.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th May 2015 at 21:33.
Steeroid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 23:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

It is not even mandatory to have looks in this segment. It is about conventional looks (benchmarked against thr Innova).

Xylo has oddball looks. However, it has its strongppoints

Quanto, not a people mover, cannot have such design. Taxi market doesn't need a Quanto. SUV market doesn't accept a Quanto.

Rear, seen isolated, looks good. Tall boy design doesnt appeal to many. As a matter of fact, the two self proclaimed tall boys Santro and Wagon R are ugly but they sell as there was no other choice. Not so with Quanto.

My strong belief is Quanto is being treated as an equivalent to a bio-assay.

Future products incorporate the inputs at considerably reduced cost.

Which makes me wonder whether it is the car or we who are bio-assay.
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:58   #70
BHPian

Just saw this on NH.8 near Bhilad check post. Couldn't take pictures as I was driving. Seemed pretty quick. Had a hard time keeping up with it in my palio. The driver was doing 140kmph +. Side profile looks good.
Old 17th June 2015, 10:56   #71
BANNED

Spotted the Quanto(Canto) test mule in Nashik last weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-quanto1.jpg  

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-quanto2.jpg  

kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 14:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Spotted the Quanto(Canto) test mule in Nashik last weekend!
Thanks for the scoop pictures Kisharchit. The facelift Quanto would look so much better if it has side body cladding like the Avventura or old Scorpio. It can really break up the side visual bulk and make it look really good. It would be much appreciated if anyone can photoshop a side cladding on a Quanto and post it here.

The only saving grace of the Canto when launched could be the AMT gearbox and updated Scorpio like looks up front. Lets see what M&M has cooked up for us.
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:52   #73
BHPian

Mahindra Quanto facelift spied by an IAB member. Here are the pics.
The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-mahindracantomahindraquantofaceliftfrontspied759x1024.jpg

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-mahindracantomahindraquantofaceliftsidespied1024x825.jpg
karthick_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 02:29   #74
BHPian

During my visit to Nasik last week, saw this camoflauged test mule in my rear view mirror. Got pretty excited as it looked nice new SUV from head on. I slowed down and let it come closer to me to have a good look. As it passed by me I realised it had really disproportionate body like the Quanto. As it overtook me, I noticed the rear end was just like a Quanto.
My excitement turned into disappointment as the hideous proportions are still being carried over to the new gen car. They have only updated the face, which hardly helps.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_20150801_095102.jpg  

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_20150801_095142.jpg  

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_20150801_095127.jpg  

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_20150801_095414.jpg  

The Mahindra Quanto Facelift. EDIT: Might be called Canto-img_20150801_094924.jpg  

Intrnl_Cmbstn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 08:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrnl_Cmbstn View Post
My excitement turned into disappointment as the hideous proportions are still being carried over to the new gen car.
Argh, this looks ugly! Please Mahindra, do us all a favour and discontinue the Quanto forever.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks