Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Re: January 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Figo numbers have gone from 151 to 2056. Should it not be at the top of the Top Gainers chart? Is 151 a typo carried over from December sales thread?
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 11:53   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Figo numbers have gone from 151 to 2056. Should it not be at the top of the Top Gainers chart? Is 151 a typo carried over from December sales thread?
No typo. 151 was the figure provided. However, the sudden dip and sharp rise in the dispatches from the factory resulted in a steep percentage figure. Rectified the error. Thanks.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:09   #18
BHPian

In post #3, the number of "Premium" vehicles is mentioned as 1. Earlier months, too, show a picture where the number is rarely 2 digits. Does it mean that only 1 Audi/BMW/Merc/Misc. was dispatched in January (this could hardly be the case)? Or does this "Premium" tag indicate something else here?
srinath.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

My take:

Chevrolet & Ford: 2 Great Americans but hardly create any buzz in Indian market now. GM still selling some cars is good news for them. Hardly anything is selling for them which will catch eyes of customer from their stable now. All looks outdated, old models. Sail twins is major flop, good lesson for them actually. Ford Ecosport selling but nothing great. Surprised to see sudden rise in Figo numbers, stock clearance ? Fiesta + Classic sold only 300 is another joke. God knows when they will learn.

Fiat: Better numbers this month. They must be happy. Linea is a wonderful car and should sell more. I guess they need some more marketing. Get one more low end model Fiat, like Palio which will sell in numbers for them. That will itself do some marketing for them.

Honda: City is doing great but feeling competition from Ciaz now. Selling 7.5K + is cool. Brio is flop & nothing exciting about it. Mobilio has lost it against Ertiga, see numbers coming down going forward this year. Clearly wrong pricing, poor interiors are the reasons people rejecting it. Amaze is doing ok but not Amazing against Dzire.

Hyundai: i10 Grand & i20 Elite doing great. Verna struggling now to City & Ciaz now, new model will also not help as its just a facelift. Eon doing its duty and bringing good numbers for them month after month.

Mahindra: Bolero, XUV and Scorpio doing their duty. XUV numbers amaze me every time, its a huge success for them. M&M should learn from it only and give us better quality cars. People has shown tremendous faith in their 10+ Lac product. We can buy costly car from you Mahindra, Don't give us cheap cars is the message given by people. Apart from these 3, nothing for them. Feel bad for Xylo always, its a much better car than numbers suggest. Specially in Taxi business.

Maruti: Just great numbers, again, and again, and again !!! All models are doing great, Kudos to them. Nothing going wrong for them right now. With coming products, surely they will go up north only.

Nissan/Datsun: Not sure why Datsun is available in India. Their cars are just cheap. Good engine but everything else is cheap. Go+ is joke for me. Half hearted attempts is all i can say about their cars. Terrano is only selling for them, some Micra as well.

Renault: One model company. Pulse not doing anything in India where small cars are the hottest selling cars is a surprise. Looking forward to Lodgy now, if priced correctly it can bring more volumes for them.

Skoda: Dull company, don't see any plans for near future.

Tata: Bolt looks very promising, lets see how it does in market. Zest numbers are low, i was hoping to do it more than 5 K. God knows what is the problem.

Toyota: Innova still selling good numbers as they don't have real competition there. Fortuner doing great. Nothing much apart from Corolla. Camry - Have they shipped all years supply in January only?

Volkswagen: Only Polo selling, Vento has lost it clearly to all other players. Don't see VW changing in coming months as well. New Vento is just small change, don't expect to do it anything better.
aniketi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
In post #3, the number of "Premium" vehicles is mentioned as 1. Earlier months, too, show a picture where the number is rarely 2 digits. Does it mean that only 1 Audi/BMW/Merc/Misc. was dispatched in January (this could hardly be the case)? Or does this "Premium" tag indicate something else here?
No. We do not include premium / luxury brands such as the ones you have mentioned above. However, Volkswagen and Toyota, while being mass market players, do sell some vehicles that that can be included in the premium segment.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th February 2015 at 14:59.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
No. We do not include premium / luxury brands such as the ones you have mentioned above. However, Volkswagen and Toyota, while being mass market players, do sell some vehicles that that can be included in the premium segment.
Ahh.. I get it. Went back to check the sales charts and understood you meant cars like the TLC and Touareg. My bad, I didn't notice the "Segment" column in the charts

Thanks for the clarification. We need to be open-eyed not just on the roads, but in posts such as these as well

Last edited by Aditya : 6th February 2015 at 14:59.
srinath.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:53   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the numbers! What’s happening to Zest? Going down month-on-month, not even on top 20! Interesting to see Ciaz making a big leap m-o-m. Ertiga too makes a good leap, new model coming in soon would further boost the sale. Mobilio is giving a mixed feeling up-down-up-up hope it continues. G0+ is showing a reasonable number, Interesting! Finally, nice to see Scorpio hitting its average of last year number on dot – 5000! I see lot of optimism in the sale. With interest rates unchanged but fuel price dropping would make an interesting piece for analysts!!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 13:15   #23
BHPian

All the hype surrounding Zest overtaking Amaze has fizzled out in January, did the Bolt eat into zest's sale?

It's time for Mahindra's to consolidate their line up,They should rather divert all their energy to the upcoming models and their current sales champions, than wasting it on their sales dud's (Verito,Vibe,Quanto).
Old 6th February 2015, 13:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Brio is flop & nothing exciting about it.
Yes, apart from that sweet motor.

Honda it seems, is not interested in being seen as mass market manufacturer and will continue to over price its cars for the badge.
They definitely could have sold some 5 - 10k additional cars, had they priced the Mobilio, Amaze and Brio to match that of the rivals.

Honda will never reach the number 3 spot with the product spread they have, they desperately need a blockbuster in the hatchback segment. Jazz again will sell only for the engines, the handling no matter how good it will be will not match the segment leaders. It would only sell in numbers as good as the Brio or the Mobilio at max.
The other fact is they need to reach out to people by adding more showrooms/ service centers in Tier II/ III cities.
Old 6th February 2015, 14:02   #25
BHPian

I am so surprised at the number of Dzire's sold each month. Between Honda Amaze - (6709)-Hyundai Xcent (4110)- Tata Zest (2757), Dzire wins by a large margin. What is the reason? Hats off to the people of Product Planning at Maruti.

I recently did a test drive of Hyundai Xcent (P), Honda Amaze(P) and MS Dzire (P): I personally felt that, Dzire almost ticks all the boxes. In case of Amaze, apart from the engine and space, Amaze had nothing going right for it. And in case of Xcent it feels that Hyundai has got the car right but the sales people at Hyundai showrooms are more than happy mounting bookings for Elite i20 rather than selling i10 grand and Xcent.

Also, if you count the ownership reviews of Dzire on the forum, you won't find many.
Attached Thumbnails
January 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-262015-14349-pm.png  

Last edited by Ritzvxi : 6th February 2015 at 14:05.
Ritzvxi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 14:27   #26
BHPian

God save those children (school vans) & patients (ambulances) who travel through unsafe Maruti Omni!

Good to see Ciaz numbers growing as this was the failed territory (C2) for MSIL for years. May be courtesy to ZDI+ with smart music system? I guess, we might see more numbers once MSIL starts delivering auto tranny!

Mobilio numbers are no surprise to me! Half baked products deserves this, IMO. It might sink to bottom, once we have the facelifted Ertiga this year.

Despite many schemes/benefits & advertisements, no inspiring numbers are seen for Skoda rapid. Instead, they should focus more on improving ASS and dealership experience.

Surprised to see why Zest is not picking numbers, despite being the better car than Dezire which sold whopping ~20k units

New Scorpio is rising slowly, and it will reach the glory of earlier generation very soon, I believe!
Old 6th February 2015, 14:29   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Something interesting (obviously known) Hatch back sales shows a negative trend, which is gained by Sedan (mostly) and MUVs (to some extent)
Plotting the data for past 2 years.
January 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 14:51   #28
BANNED

For me, it is still one of the most anticipated threads, even without the analysis which is the icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Maruti truly is the leader in the auto industry in India with every model registering good gains except Gypsy.
Gypsy numbers will go down hereafter, as the supply of 4000 units to the armed forces is almost completed.

Can we expect a new generation Gypsy, with the following:

Chassis: current ladder-on-frame chassis
Suspension: Coil spring instead of current leaf springs
Drive: 4x4
Length: < 4m
Width: current 1540mm
Number of doors: 5
Number of seats: 4/5, front-facing
Engine: 1200CC G12 engine with Turbo, having 100BHP. If Tata can do that with their Xeta Petrol engine, why not Maruti with their Eeco's good engine? It has very good low-end driveability compared to its G13 version in Gypsy or K12 in Swift.
Price: 6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai are continuing their success story.
Yes, but discontinuing Santro was a wrong decision. Sales of its other hatches like Eon or i10s have not gained from it. Even Alto, WR or Celerio from MS stable also has not gained from it. Where its numbers around 3K have gone then? Did it jump directly to the i20?

Celerio and Verna numbers are in a steady decline. City-Ciaz effect on Verna, and the AltoK10 AMT effect on Celerio, IMO.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2015 at 15:36. Reason: Quoted post edited :)
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 14:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

I think its good for Honda to see a second failure with Mobilio (After Jazz), Brio was a clear experiment which they did (as the product is not in sync with the buyers requirements in hatchback segment with product similar to B1 specifications in terms of space and other comforts while asking price of B2 segment).

This will help them in planning the Jazz pricing and equipment list for every trim carefully, which in terms will be good for buyers.

The more trouble is with Zest at this point, Tata has done a good job in refreshing its product line, customer experience and after sales service; still the sales are not coming up in the same proportion. I am sure, Tata's can wait a little longer to see the product revival as I do not see if they are missing something barring advertising their product which they should to gain traction.

Any analysis on Petrol gaining traction in sales with the recent crashing of fuel prices?

Cheers
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 15:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Zest failure does not surprise me. Our market is highly unforgiving. There are no second chances here. Once it is perceived a failed brand, the infamy sticks through the rest of its life and the tag takes the car to the grave. No matter how good Tata and Fiat cars are now, there just will not be many buyers. Fiat at least has some brand value but Tata brand has come to signify cheap and unreliable cars, not all of it may be true but it doesn't matter. More than facts, it is the perception that determines success or failure.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks