Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2016, 23:07   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
And is it necessary to have a Precision Jelebi, and if yes, why does it have to look like an orange colored mosquito coil?
That was funny. . I guess someone needs to tell them that Indian culture thrives due to its quirks and imperfections and assembly line jilebis and rangolis and chais are a strict no no. Every single one is unique and different.

I guess it is all to emphasize the point that this is Made for India. In my view they should be careful about that. We feel happier and relieved when we hear it is made in India for a bunch of other countries. Even then we have long discussions on whether the model exported is the same as the India spec model.

Anything 'Made for India'- we are instantly suspicious and automatically assume compromises of build quality, safety features, engine configurations.

Hope VW proves us all wrong. But at this point they seem to be going overboard with the 'Made for India' tag line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
P.S - With all these 'For India' ads around, VW cannot end up with a car that is built like the ones from a Tata/Maruti stable, just to make Indians feel at home !!
Agree. Last thing we want is a light and tinny Volkswagen. So far it does not seem to be the case, but you never know.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 11:17   #167
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary Tata cars are always praised for heavy built and I don't think Mahindra vehicles are tinny either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Agree. Last thing we want is a light and tinny Volkswagen. So far it does not seem to be the case, but you never know.
The point of all these teasers is What if German precision 'meets' Indian culture. I could see nothing unusual with these Ads.
It kinda shows what we can do if we shun that 'Chalta Hai' attitude, though it will make everything boring for us as the imperfections have their own charm.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 11:44   #168
BHPian

I believe the motto behind the ads is showing the German precision.

Agreed.

But what's the need to show precisions in our chai, and jalebis..

We INDIANs have our own individual unique tastes.

Please VW show the precision in your machines (this time without cheating).

PS: The ads are still better than the new airtel ad.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 11:52   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
On the contrary Tata cars are always praised for heavy built and I don't think Mahindra vehicles are tinny either.

The point of all these teasers is What if German precision 'meets' Indian culture. I could see nothing unusual with these Ads.
It kinda shows what we can do if we shun that 'Chalta Hai' attitude, though it will make everything boring for us as the imperfections have their own charm.
The reference to tinny was not specific to any Indian cars, it was more towards manufacturers who are traditionally known for 'solid' cars starting to compromise on this.

On the Ad's. I felt one was nice and brings out the German Engineering to Indian culture theme, two teasers was a little bit of a stretch but three teasers on exactly the same theme is really over doing it. And I assume they are not done yet.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 11:58   #170
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some crazy idea by some Indians in VW marketing team. They do not know that not all Indians like/know or care about things like Rangoli, Jelebi or Masala Chai. Another stupid ad from a German company, there were similar ads by Bosch when they launched their washing machines in India (interviewing Indians whether they are qualified to buy and use their washing machine)
Old 28th January 2016, 12:03   #171
BHPian

Ameo's rear rendered. Looks classy

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-ameo.jpg

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/01/v...5-facts-212912
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 12:19   #172
Senior - BHPian

It looks classy and the wider tyres help a lot in that but I seriously doubt that it will be launched with such tyres especially if they are targeting the VFM segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Ameo's rear rendered. Looks classy
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 23:50   #173
Senior - BHPian

I like the new advert by Volkswagen for Ameo aka Masala Chai.

Trying to showcase that they are trying to learn about our culture and design products around it.

More importantly, their tagline has now changed to "Think Ahead. Think New".

Also they don't suffix, Das Auto any more. VW Emission scandal image makeover?
Old 31st January 2016, 22:34   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The compact sedan customer isn't looking for good looks else we wouldn't have Dzire, Xcent, Amaze and zest raking up the numbers they do. VW's disadvantage here is only that their service and showroom reach is not even 20% of a Maruti or Hyundai.
You have nailed it - being a compact sedan owner myself I couldn't agree more. I was in search for a sedan since I need a bigger boot for our occasional highway trips along with my friend's family but also I need to accommodate the car in our Portico which is just 13-13.5 ft. in length. Now this is when the Compact Sedan segment comes into picture during my consideration and I picked up the Xcent which has segment leading boot space of 407 liters.

I surely know the disadvantages of this segment and particularly about Xcent, but went ahead with the purchase since it fitted my requirements perfectly. I would say Xcent is a no-nonsense car and score heavily in practicality, if you are ready to ignore the quirky looks.

Likewise, VW Ameo might fit the requirements of someone who is looking for a compact sedan with some premium-ness, if he is ready to ignore the disadvantage of this segment mainly the looks.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 23:33   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in conversation with my SA around my vento, in talks I was able to get the info that Ameo is indeed coming with the TSI. Now if it indeed is true, the car will be a hoot to drive with practical boot for those highway drives.

VW cars are anyway known for the build and handling, if that all trickles down to Ameo as well, it will actually be a better choice then polo(practical part takes a hit, but the best drive of three) and vento(seems a bit sluggish to drive after driving Polo, well i will fix it with a remap, but majority won't)

So Ameo will slot right in between, if they had announced it a bit earlier I would have very seriously considered it my second car for city driving, and not sold my city, which would have been perfect for highways and occasional city trips.
Old 31st January 2016, 23:54   #176
BHPian

Impressed with the look of the Ameo, when compared with other competitors, since VW had only few inches to play with the boot and from the looks of the photos in this thread, I am sure VW had done a good job.

Following are length of the Compact Sedans and their corresponding hatchback siblings on which they are based on:

Name:  Compact Sedan  Hatchback.png
Views: 2184
Size:  7.1 KB

Honda has a lot of area and because of which Amaze looks more proportionate car in this segment, followed by Xcent evident by its length difference of 230 mm. On the contrary, VW has only 24 mm - that's less than an inch and wondering how they are able to stick that boot into the already bigger Polo.

But anyway kudos to them and kindly remember that all the other hatchbacks on which these CS based, are from a segment lower than Polo which directly competes with i20, Baleno, Jazz and so Ameo will be positioned accordingly - that is more premium that the existing competition.

TATA will have more length approx. 250 mm (which is second best behind Amaze) to fit the boot in their upcoming CS Sway based on the yet to be launched hatchback sibling Zica. Hope they do a better job atleast.
Old 1st February 2016, 20:07   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Ameo, launching 2nd Feb, 1:30 IST.

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-caij4wwucaab4dj.jpg

Source: VW official page

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st February 2016 at 20:08.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 20:11   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

As per a post on Volkswagen India Facebook Page Ameo launch will happen tomorrow (2nd Feb) at 1.30 PM.

Apart from the few spy shots and assumptions, VW have managed to keep the details on engine options, variants and features under wraps. Very interested to see what VW has to offer with the Ameo. Hope it does not end up being a disappointment
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:03   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

VW readies its Webpage, adds Ameo to its models,

VW's Polo-based compact sedan, Ameo unveiled!-capture.png
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 10:24   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

More importantly, their tagline has now changed to "Think Ahead. Think New".

Also they don't suffix, Das Auto any more. VW Emission scandal image makeover?
That was one of the casualties of the emission scandal they were embroiled in.

Quote:
Scarred by a public relations thrashing over its ‘dieselgate’ scandal, Volkswagen is planning an image offensive, and its ‘Das Auto’ global advertising slogan is an early casualty.
Quote:
Launched in 2007 under ousted boss Martin Winterkorn, the slogan has had the advantage of simplicity, merely meaning ‘The Car’. However, the German car maker’s leaders, anxious to proclaim a reformed corporate culture, have criticized it as out of step with a company trying to show new-found humility.
Source
Closed Thread

Most Viewed