Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 16:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2015 at 15:27.
Aditya is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:18   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:26   #6
BHPian

Thank you for the Analysis, have been waiting for this report.

Duster seems to be loosing ground. on the other hand Safari+Storme have gained more than 400% which effects the YOY sales positively.

From Mahindra Brigade, Bolero continues to be the best selling vehicle, how the numbers would get effected after the launch of New bolero is to be seen.

Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Great show again by the top two - Maruti and Hyundai.

-Celerio numbers have increased - DDIS 125 dispatches could be the reason, June figures will be an indication of market acceptance for the diesel variant.
Ciaz clearly is a winner, relegating Verna to a distant number 3.

Datsun - No much action here, GO seems to have lost out. Now GO+ does more numbers.

Tata - No much improvement in Zest/Bolt- clearly duds considering the hype and investments. Nano GenX - should watch for June numbers for AMT acceptance.

Honda -City the leader in its segemnt getting tough competition. Ciaz gives a tough fight at 5012 units . Honda overall lower numbers- Could be realigning assembly lines for Jazz.

VW- Planning to launch the Vento facelift on June 23,hence lower numbers. Polo doing great numbers.

Renault- Lodgy overtaking Duster's volumes - can Lodgy tip Renualt's fortunes and complement Duster. Would be a concern on the Crosses planned from Maruti and Hyundai.

Overall a good month for the Auto segment and the coming months for prospective customers for options of new releases planned by most manufacturers.

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th June 2015 at 16:49.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:53   #8
BHPian

Volkswagen seems to be on a roll since launch of the new Polo. Their sales are looking strong and consistent. Since new Vento is getting launched, the production for old Vento has stopped. Possibly VW used this un-utilized inventory to push more Polo to dealers

Honda shipments are down. Possibly they are stocking Jazz before launch next month and hence the de-growth.

Tata Bolt and Zest sales unfortunately seems to have stagnated. They had big hopes from these 2 products but I guess it is now all about re-builiding reputation.

Renault Lodgy sales surprisingly is not higher than 2k.
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Great compilation as usual. Thank you.

What stands out is the Polo. Nearly 4000 units and in the top 20. That is a major jump. Wonder what caused that huge bump up in numbers. Only reason I can think of is that with Vento at only 33 units (I assume in preparation for the face lift launch), most of the capacity was utilized for the Polo. Which leads me to wonder, whether the polo sales is constrained by the capacity.

City continues it dominance, but Ciaz is holding on. Looks like Maruti finally have a winner in the C2 Segment. Verna is a distant 3rd. The Vento face lift seems to have been well received, need to see if it can translate into numbers. Sunny, Scala, Fiesta and Linea seem to have absolutely no numbers.

Amaze and Xcent fighting for the 2nd place the Compact Sedan segment. Zest seems to have been left behind. Would be interesting to see how Aspire does.

Lodgy becomes Renaults top seller. But nowhere close to the Innova.

Mobilio continues its flop show. With Brio also a sales dud, Honda has a lot riding on the Jazz. The Aspire can hit the Amaze hard and Honda can again end up being a 1 trick pony with only the City as a best seller.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 17:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

We brought home one of the 5012 Ciaz-es that were sold last month. While the petrol might not enthuse an enthusiast (not very bad either from my reading over some 250kms of drive), the car clearly ticks most boxes for the average user (decent looks, BIIIIG car, various gizmos, affordable price etc), which explains the high interest in this car. I don't see many of this car in Chennai (possibly the city folk prefer the perceived snob-value of the City), but in Kerala from the time this car was launched, I have been seeing atleast 2-3 For-Regn cars everytime I am out on the road.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th June 2015 at 18:17.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 18:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Looks like the usual charts every month. MSIL and Hyundai taking the piece of cake. Low numbers of Verna despite the refresh and the heavy discount is hurting the Hyundai while MSIL has every car doing decent numbers despite the Ritz debacle. Since MSIL has other hatchbacks in same segment the low number of ritz are compensated by their other hatches.

With the launch of new age XUV we can definitely see a honeymoon period for it in coming months and thereby making it a top seller among their vehicles.

Honda has been a one man army for long and in coming months we can expect a little drop in city figures as they are lined up in ramping up the assembly line for Jazz, but if they again botch up the pricing the city sales are also going to decline over a period and It will take them back to the drawing board.

Ford are they really interested in selling vehicles in india? With launch of Creta around the corner I think the endeavour and dusters will be cornered in coming months unless they make up their mind in producing fiesta petrols. For a long they have remained silent and I really don't know when they will become violent. Gone are those days when Ford used to be on top 4. They have let it slip and its make or break for them

VW is gaining steady pace and in coming months we can see vento gaining a few paces atleast. If only their attitude and ASS gives a better prospect to customers we can see it grow better which I can never see happening

Fiat just don't sell whatever they do. Time for 1.6 to be launched if they want a foothold in india. No use in launching abarth and stuff

Toyota have again like ford have forgot to sell vehicles to people. Innovative still going strong in commercial sector. They made a blunder of changing Corolla from c2 to D2 and now they are paying the price for it

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2015 at 14:24. Reason: Typo
Old 8th June 2015, 19:14   #12
BHPian

Nice! Other than the usual culprits from MS & Hyundai, it seems VW has woken up from a slumber. It might also be that the facelift of the new Polo got the numbers on launch as some kind of fulfilment of pent up demand of these cars. Also judging from the Vento numbers, I guess we might see a similar spike in its numbers in July.
Old 8th June 2015, 19:35   #13
BHPian

I feel Ritz should get a facelift as numbers are too bad. It is a solid car in all senses but i guess the rear looks put off a lot of people. Will this car be still available after this year or will it get discontinued ? Even in UK it seems to be on the way out.I was thinking of buying it this diwali but seems i will have to get a Swift or a i10. Don't wish to buy a Ritz and see it discontinued in a few months.
Old 8th June 2015, 19:45   #14
BHPian

I understand Tata must be disappointed with the Zest numbers, but I see that they have stepped up their effort to take this car to more people. I have a feeling that if Tata can somehow keep up this number for few more months and make it a familiar sight on our roads, the number would go up in about six months - obviously they have a stellar car and have the network that has a reach second only to Maruti.

It hurts me to see the Fiat numbers, but I am secretly happy about the attention my car gets!
Old 8th June 2015, 19:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see the Swift getting competition from the Elite i20 day by day. I guess the product has got a much deserved response from the buyers. Personally, I feel that any person would choose the Elite over the Swift if these two are parked side by side and thats what is happening with the public. Both brands now have more or less the same reputation and people wouldnt mind giving up the Maruti badge for a better product overall.

Until Tata gets rid of the Indica egg-shell in their products like this:
May 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled.jpg

No matter even if Tata gives in a jet engine(RevoJet types), people will still recognise the bolt as an Indica. At least the Zest looks superb compared to the bolt since the egg shell is less prominent.

Coming to the Zest, I hear theres waiting for some variants. Are they capacity crunched to limit the numbers to 2k or is there something else? Irony is the predecessors Indica and Indigo seem to be raking more numbers than the newer products. It would have definitely got the management banging their heads in sales meetings.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th June 2015 at 19:47.
audioholic is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks