Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 19:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

I think the Autocar figure is around 10.3secs. Have seen different numbers, but the the fastest is the above number.
I agree with you shivasuma.

Here is an extract from one of the Autocar reviews of the GT TSI:

"It is in Sport and Manual modes that one can feel the true performance of the car – it will get to 100kph in just 10.9sec, which is 0.7sec quicker than the Polo 1.6. In fact, it is the quickest hatchback around and finally eclipses the fastest time set by our previous quickest hatch, the Fiat Palio 1.6, way back in 2002. The rate of acceleration slows down past 140kph and it takes another 26 seconds to do 170kph before going on to a top speed of 190kph."

I have not been the most appreciative of FIAT predominantly because I feel they are either too slow or way too apprehensive about their own products.

But I will be the first one to admit that there have been only 2 players in Indian Automobile Industry who truly & repeatedly catered to the enthusiast section:

VOLKSWAGEN
FIAT

P.S - If the Abarth T-Jet is launched at the projected 10lks, GT will have the only competitor !!
Old 25th August 2015, 07:54   #92
BHPian

Abarth Punto Evo India First Drive Review

from ZigWheels - link
super.cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 17:37   #93
BHPian

If Abarth is priced at around 10 Laks ex-showroom (as mentioned by Zigwheels), it is almost 1.5 Laks costlier than TSi. And if you compare the performance of 0-100, Abarth is just 1.13 Seconds quicker which does not matter in your daily usage, unless you always have a free stretch of 5-7 KMs (which is not available in Bangalore). And also looking at the interiors almost same as Punto, I felt comfortable in a TSi than the regular Punto

If above is the case with pricing, I believe TSi would win over Abarth as people get the sheer pleasure of driving an Auto-box. And also not forget the unsatisfactory Gearbox which puts the driver off.

Not sure of others, but I personally would choose TSi over Abarth
PetroTurbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 17:47   #94
BHPian

Re: How to solve the wheel-arch gap issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Reduce the ground clearance (GC) further and people will be scrapping all over our lovely roads (especially in smaller towns) and then she will just get bad publicity.
Linea and Punto (diesel) first lot of 2009 came with 165 mm GC and that was with softer springs and yet manageable in most situations though it did scrape bigger humps on full load.

So, 155mm with harder springs will just be as manageable as the earlier 165mm.

However, to reduce the wheel arch gap, they could have reduced another 10mm and then increase the wheel size to 205/50 R17 (or 205/55 R16). Guys who don't like the gap and/or who hate to scrape know what to do now - just change the wheel size to either of these and they will look much better. Of course, you are 10 mm taller (and small amount of handling will be compromised).
Old 26th August 2015, 18:30   #95
BHPian

First drive video by Autocar India. No new info, but the first time this beast seems to be on a video review. Yes, the exhaust note is very muted.

theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:10   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroTurbo View Post
If Abarth is priced at around 10 Laks ex-showroom (as mentioned by Zigwheels), it is almost 1.5 Laks costlier than TSi. And if you compare the performance of 0-100, Abarth is just 1.13 Seconds quicker which does not matter in your daily usage, unless you always have a free stretch of 5-7 KMs (which is not available in Bangalore). And also looking at the interiors almost same as Punto, I felt comfortable in a TSi than the regular Punto

If above is the case with pricing, I believe TSi would win over Abarth as people get the sheer pleasure of driving an Auto-box. And also not forget the unsatisfactory Gearbox which puts the driver off.

I'd contemplated putting up a post on similar lines but the fear of the fanboys kept me away.

Both cars, the GT TSI and the Abarth Punto are warered-down, Indianised versions of their genuine counterparts. While the VW is nothing but an engine-drivetrain exercise, the Fiat has a tweaked suspension and better brakes at least.

Assuming the Abarth Punto will cost 10 lakhs ex-showroom (12 lakhs on the road, Bangalore) you'd have to shell out 1.5 lakhs over and above what you otherwise would for the GT TSI. If you spend that 1.5 lakhs on your GT, albeit wisely, you could match it's performance figures to the Fiat's. (A set of Bilsteins, Tarox rotors and a remap should cost 1.5 lakhs or less.)

Let's not forget that the the DSG is far superior to the cumbersome manual in the Fiat. While the Punto will have better in-gear acceleration, the Polo will claw it's way back thanks to its snappy gear shifts.

The Polo has the plusher interior and is *now* equipped well too and that makes it more of a complete package IMO. But there is still something about a Punto with Abarth badges from the factory that tugs at the heart like nothing else.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th August 2015 at 19:11.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:30   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But there is still something about a Punto with Abarth badges from the factory that tugs at the heart like nothing else.
Well, Abarth is definitely a matter of heart and not head Few things in life are not commodities, they are possessions.
vinit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

First drive video by Autocar India.
Awesome share theredliner.

I knew somebody would come up with a review soon, but was not expecting Autocar to get the scoop !!

Quote:

If you spend that 1.5 lakhs on your GT, albeit wisely, you could match it's performance figures to the Fiat's. (A set of Bilsteins, Tarox rotors and a remap should cost 1.5 lakhs or less.)

Let's not forget that the the DSG is far superior to the cumbersome manual in the Fiat. While the Punto will have better in-gear acceleration, the Polo will claw it's way back thanks to its snappy gear shifts.
Absolutely suhaas, agree with every word bro.

Having driven a family member's Punto (90HP) for a 100kms last weekend, I feel there are 2 big flaws on Punto:

- Ergonomics
- Gear Box

At least by the initial reports/speculations, these 2 issues have been completely ignored by FIAT.
Add to this, I also remember reading that Abarth T-jet is on the heavier side.

So coming back to your post suhaas, a remap on GT, some good brake pads and suspensions can give Abarth T-Jet a run for the money.

Hell, for 1.5lks saved, you can even get yourself a Delphi Touch screen HU, Armrest and other minor enhancements on the GT !!
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 23:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

I have always preferred Fiat cars over Volkswagen after owning both but in this case, i may also go the GT TSi way if it is 1.5 lakhs cheaper unless this Abarth Punto is genuinely impressive. You do get the high tech dual clutch gearbox which you can easily mate with paddle shifters, 1.2 TSi is also a fun engine, the interior quality is several notches higher than Punto and Polo has a better acceptance, question marks on reliability of DQ200 still stand.The only thing which this mini VW will miss is a soul.

It has been 42,000 kms with my Vento TDi, engine is a brute like most VW engines and the car surges forward like a rocket but that is where the story ends, it only loves straight expressways. Undulations upset the composure, VW EPS is dead, brakes are just average and the driver never feels well connected to this machine.

Abarth should have better performance despite this stupid gearbox, would have significantly better ride/handling/braking and the steering feel is not even in comparison. Abarth Punto also gets better differentiation from regular Punto compared to GT TSi and Polo.

Would be excellent if Fiat spring a surprise and launch it at a very tasty price
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 06:03   #100
BHPian

Wow, there's news coming in every day now. I am sailor and sailing and whenever we call at a port and I get a SIM, the first thing I do even before calling home is check this thread. By the time I sign-off the car would have launched and it'll fit perfectly into my plan. A little disappointed in knowing that it will not have a sub nine second 0-100 timing but I'm sure it'll be the best any sub ten lakh car in India can offer. But what I feared is seeming to be more of a reality now. So it's going to be real fun driving it but it's not going to be lightning fast eh! I was expecting an Audi TT for 10 lakhs but I guess in India ten lakhs can only get you so much. And in a way it's understandable too considering India's automotive industry's economic dynamics. But still Abarth Punto will give what no other car here has been able to offer and I don't see anyone else offering anything comparable any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroTurbo View Post

Well first off I'll make it clear that I'm not a Fiat fanboy, I'm a car fanboy . 0-100 is not everything. I too wanted a 8.XX timing from this beauty but it's not and that's sad. Sure enough the GT Tsi will give Abarth Punto a close run in a 0-100 dash but that doesn't mean it's a better prospect straight away. One doesn't drive 0-100-0-100 and so on the whole time. What matters also is the in gear acceleration. And with 145 PS power and 210 NM torque and with Abarth weighing not a lot more than GT Tsi, Abarth Punto will have GT Tsi under the mats almost entirely. And Punto definitely has the better driving dynamics. Mt brother has a petrol Polo and compared to Punto it feels top heavy and I mean top heavy. Gearbox aside the Abarth will let you go into a corner faster, come out faster, will inspire more confidence in changing lanes while giving it the stick and during overtaking. And that's the real fun of driving, ain't it! This is what one will lose in saving 1.5 lakhs. I'm not saying GT Tsi is already a loser but the way I see it, the feel in your pants will be a lot more blissful behind the Abarth's steering wheel. Sheer pleasure of driving doesn't just depend on an auto box. Besides Fiat has also made the changes to the suspension. I would love to see VW do a complete 'Abarth Punto' Polo and then see how much they charge it for.

And I read someone mentioned that a couple of DSG's snappy shifts will help GT Tsi claw it's way back. Yes that's correct too but what's going to stop a spirited Abarth driver from a couple of snappy manual shifts himself. Gear throws are long but really, that long that the Polo will leave Punto in the dust?
firstguri is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 08:39   #101
BHPian

@firstguri- while I second almost all of your points, I do feel that paying 10 lakhs we can get a sub 9 second car rather than a sub 10 second one when it's going to be just tweaking the gearshift which will not burn a hole in the manufacturer pocket. What the people are asking in not more power or torque like Audi TT , but just tweaking the gearbox to utilise the full 145 horses.
And regarding that polo/punto thing what you said was absolutely right. The 0-100 timing is only helpful when starting after a speed bump /toll gate for a few seconds maybe whereas the handling,braking and in-gear acceleration are what's needed for the rest of the whole journey and polo simply can't match it.
Saw a live demo in support of this claim yesterday when that Honda ivtec revving and outrunning my vento in every straight only to slow down and brake at every slightest bends in the highway which the vento passed hands down. The thought that hit my mind was if vento handles like this,how would a abarth /linea!!!!! The differences in Japanese and German manners were in full display and I hope to own the Italian beauty as my next ride.
O.t - the city was swaying left and right at 110 kmph( not much cross winds though). There was sudden wobbling and swaying. Is this the one mentioned in the niggles post?And boy, it was scary to me.
Disclaimer : All these happened with me doing 100 to 105 kmph in 4 lanes NH 45 with city. Doing a couple or three kmph more. There was no high speeds involved.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 10:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd contemplated putting up a post on similar lines but the fear of the fanboys kept me away.

Both cars, the GT TSI and the Abarth Punto are warered-down, Indianised versions of their genuine counterparts. While the VW is nothing but an engine-drivetrain exercise, the Fiat has a tweaked suspension and better brakes at least.

Assuming the Abarth Punto will cost 10 lakhs ex-showroom (12 lakhs on the road, Bangalore) you'd have to shell out 1.5 lakhs over and above what you otherwise would for the GT TSI. If you spend that 1.5 lakhs on your GT, albeit wisely, you could match it's performance figures to the Fiat's. (A set of Bilsteins, Tarox rotors and a remap should cost 1.5 lakhs or less.)

The Polo has the plusher interior and is *now* equipped well too and that makes it more of a complete package IMO. But there is still something about a Punto with Abarth badges from the factory that tugs at the heart like nothing else.
I have driven GT TSI little bit on the highway and the steering wheel felt like it was connected to a rubber band rather than the wheels. I was expecting something good as the reviews says about GT TSI.

PS: I dont want to start an argument the above opinion is only mine, you dont have to agree with it.
Rahulkool is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 11:05   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I have driven GT TSI little bit on the highway and the steering wheel felt like it was connected to a rubber band rather than the wheels. I was expecting something good as the reviews says about GT TSI.

PS: I dont want to start an argument the above opinion is only mine, you dont have to agree with it.
All VW steering feel the same. Well weighted but absolutely no feedback. Right from polo to the Jetta (I own one). Ford is the best when it comes to tuning an EPS(just check out the fiesta).
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 12:03   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
All VW steering feel the same. Well weighted but absolutely no feedback. Right from polo to the Jetta (I own one). Ford is the best when it comes to tuning an EPS(just check out the fiesta).
The Abarth 595 has an EPS too and it weights and provides ample feedback, its brilliant to use. The next best I have driven is the New Ford Fiesta. Vento/Polo weights but not great feedback.

For additional 1.5 lakhs as speculated in the thread, the Punto Evo Abarth would give the bling, ride and handling, wonderful feedback from steering and brilliant brakes. All these can be got by modding the Polo TSI, but the point is Abarth is giving it out of the assembly line.
Old 27th August 2015, 12:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Abarth should have better performance despite this stupid gearbox, would have significantly better ride/handling/braking and the steering feel is not even in comparison. Abarth Punto also gets better differentiation from regular Punto compared to GT TSi and Polo.

Would be excellent if Fiat spring a surprise and launch it at a very tasty price
Is it really bad? Never read about Linea TJet GB being very bad. It has always been the case with the MJD GB. The slotting might be an issue like the MJD but not sure about the gear ratios as bad as MJD GB.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks