Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Land Rover Discovery Sport launched in India at Rs. 46.10 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Didn't look at the image closely, but after you mentioned this I did and they definitely look to be photoshopped into the image. Hilarious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes the images looks to be pasted , but why will or should LR do such things ? They must have taken approval from both of these so why not pay them little extra & get them on launch event .
Guys, going by the other snaps from the launch event, Yuvraj and Karthikeyan did attend it. Perhaps, it is the dark background and the stage lighting to blame?

Some other snaps. Can clearly see their hands/arms resting on the hood:

Land Rover Discovery Sport launched in India at Rs. 46.10 lakhs-486212714-1.jpg

Land Rover Discovery Sport launched in India at Rs. 46.10 lakhs-486212684.jpg

Land Rover Discovery Sport launched in India at Rs. 46.10 lakhs-486212712.jpg

Land Rover Discovery Sport launched in India at Rs. 46.10 lakhs-486212714.jpg

I'll let our in-house PS guru Rehaan clear the air on this.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd September 2015 at 13:56.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:09   #17
BHPian

Guys there were there at the press launch at the Hyatt earlier yesterday.

Also, am TDing the HSE lux again in a couple of hours and will let you know what I think. Also, with all reports positive or negative I tend to take them with a fair bit of salt. Drive it to believe it is what I believe in
R170 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 14:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
P.S. In that image, do Yuvraj & Karthikeyan look photo-shopped to anyone else?
Very much, when I first looked at the picture, I thought why the hell LR will have a clown standing center stage at a Car launch. Looked at pic. carefully and realized that its Narain
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:23   #19
BHPian

Car & Driver didn't fancy the petrol power plant but, did think the ride was perhaps just right:

"The Ride Is Right
While the powertrain is the Discovery Sport’s biggest shortcoming, the chassis it’s bolted to is this crossover’s greatest asset. It starts with a rock-solid unibody structure that’s heavy on steel, although the hood, fenders, roof, and tailgate are aluminum stampings. As we scrambled over packed ice and rutted trails in Iceland, the Discovery Sport’s body never chattered or quivered. On paved roads, the cabin is seriously quiet, especially impressive considering that our test car rolled on studded winter tires.

Ride quality both on- and off-road is excellent, with none of the contrived “sporty” harshness that afflicts the Evoque. The suspension tuning is a masterful balance of compliant damping and firm body control. A new multilink rear suspension that is shorter and more compact than the Evoque’s strut arrangement creates the extra width between the wheels that allows for the optional third row of seats. Land Rover calls the Discovery Sport a 5+2-seater, which you should interpret as space for five adults plus a pair of two-year-olds."
R170 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 17:34   #20
Zed
BHPian

Press reports from NA paint a pretty gloomy picture. Reports from European auto journals / websites seem a lot more positive in comparison. Specially when it comes to the 9spd automatic from ZF. Perhaps its the difference in feel between the gas and diesel engines in these respective markets.
I TD-ed the HSE version, here in Germany, with the current spec 2,2 Ltr (and not the new gen Ingenium) diesel engine and was quite impressed. The car meets my expectation of what the LR brand represents. My test car was a 5 seater HSE Automatic.

Highlights :
1. Really impressive noise insulation, at normal and Authobahn speeds for a vehicle of this size
2. The perception of space on the inside even without the panorama glassroof option - which in my books is a must have for this vehicle
3. The one touch terrain response system - the equalent of off-roading for dummies because its so easy to use - worked really well for the bit of off-roading I indulged in
4. Hood mounted pedestrian airbag and Terrain response are standard even on the base variant - its stuff like this that adds up to the feeling that the Disco sport represents the LR brand
5. Adjustable 2nd row - frees up boot space in the 5 str option and legroom for third row in the 7 seater option.
6. Seating comfort and ergonomics are spot-on ( im 5'10" , 73 kgs )

Negatives :
1. Interiors seem pretty basic in comparison to the Evoque. That said it is an unfair comparison since RR is a luxury brand.
2. Waiting period of 3-5 months

Last edited by Zed : 3rd September 2015 at 17:37.
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 18:14   #21
BHPian

Dear Zed,

Thank you for the insightful review. I'm inclined to agree with you on the diesel vs. petrol pairing for the ZF. Perhaps that's was causing the disparity in reports.

In your time spent with the car. How did you find the suspension. Did you have the magneride suspension? How much did your feel the bumps on the road in the car. Having tested in Germany you really many not have had a chance to test this side of the ride

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by R170 : 3rd September 2015 at 18:31.
Old 4th September 2015, 00:23   #22
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
Dear Zed,
Did you have the magneride suspension? How much did your feel the bumps on the road in the car. Having tested in Germany you really many not have had a chance to test this side of the ride
Thanks in advance.
Hi R170
Not sure, but I dont recall any options with regards to suspension. If I find any useful information will let you know.

I did drive across the bumpiest road in our village (50 kmph speed restriction) and the DS handled things pretty well. But then again my reference point is an A4 with low profile tyres so this impression is pretty subjective.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 12:51   #23
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
Dear Zed,
How did you find the suspension. Did you have the magneride suspension? How much did your feel the bumps on the road in the car.
This review from Autocar UK brings out strengths and weaknesses while comparing the DS 4 pot diesel to some of its natural rivals.

The driving impression in this article aligns well with my Test drive experience.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...undai-santa-fe
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 13:28   #24
BHPian

Hey Zed,

Yep that's solid review that I've read as well. I agree with the author in that I'm the kinda fool that absolutely must have something when I want it and in this case I believe the ingenium diesels in particular may take over a year to make it to India. Hence, I can make do with a less frugal but more powerful engine that they currently have and begin exploring India. Well that's the plan anyway else what's they point of buying a Land Rover
Old 6th September 2015, 18:40   #25
Team-BHP Support

SUV Hatchback ? some new term or am I missing something ?

3-4 Times Sales for JLR with this launch - what are these guys smoking

Quote :-

"We have received tremendous response to Discovery Sport. Even before the official launch and price announcement, we have got 300 bookings for the hatchback.

"If we maintain this sales pace, I am hopeful of our volume growing three-four times from the current numbers," JLR India President Rohit Suri told PTI

The British marque brand launched the Discovery Sport SUV hatchback

This is the first hatchback from the JLR India stable in the country

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 00:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
SUV Hatchback ? some new term or am I missing something ?

3-4 Times Sales for JLR with this launch - what are these guys smoking

Quote :-

"We have received tremendous response to Discovery Sport. Even before the official launch and price announcement, we have got 300 bookings for the hatchback.

"If we maintain this sales pace, I am hopeful of our volume growing three-four times from the current numbers," JLR India President Rohit Suri told PTI

The British marque brand launched the Discovery Sport SUV hatchback

This is the first hatchback from the JLR India stable in the country

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

Hahahah ... that's retarded ... fairly ignorant of them to call it that! They should really think twice before coining something like that
Old 7th September 2015, 13:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The sad truth is that many of these management guys in Auto industry are not necessarily auto enthusiasts. They are just marketing folks who will be just as content selling colgate toothpaste.

Anyone who knows the heritage of Landrover will never call a Discovery Sport a hatch !!
Old 7th September 2015, 13:49   #28
BHPian

If anything the Evoque is more of a hatch than the LR Discovery Sport.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 14:10   #29
BHPian

Folks,
The company I am part of did the launch so here is the launch video, yes the stars were present in person.
Old 7th September 2015, 15:46   #30
BHPian

I don't understand the pricing, won't this narrow it down even closer to the Evoque? The cars look pretty similar already to the regular man. What differentiates the two cars now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks