Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 18:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery Sport launched in India at Rs. 46.10 lakhs

This was supposed to replace the Freelander 2 and the top variant of that fell within the 50 lakh bracket. Considering this will be assembled in India, I am shocked at the pricing.
Old 7th September 2015, 20:06   #32
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
I don't understand the pricing, won't this narrow it down even closer to the Evoque? The cars look pretty similar already to the regular man. What differentiates the two cars now?
Theres quite a bit of price overlap in global markets as well. Photographs and a cursory glace at a passing vehicle may give the impression that the two cars are similar. But closer inspection will reveal that they appeal to two very different group of target customers.

I am considering the DS because it ticks almost every box on my 'must-have' list. I am not suggesting that the DS is a better car - just that it meets my requirments while the 'pretty similar' Evoque does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
Hey Zed,
Hence, I can make do with a less frugal but more powerful engine that they currently have and begin exploring India. Well that's the plan anyway else what's they point of buying a Land Rover
If you are looking to travel around India the DS has to rate as a good choice. Not sure of the service infrastructure of JLR in India – is there a tie up with Tata network for basic service / repairs ?

To be honest I am enamored with the prospect of owning a 'terrain-slaying' LR. As you can imagine SUVs aren’t necessarily considered the optimum solution for personal transportation in this part of the world. Which is why a bunch of colleagues believe that my decision in favor of the LR-DS is an error in judgment. My wife absolutely loved the time she spent in the TD car on account of the space - we've got a 2 Yr old and its amazing how much gear a toddler requires!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th September 2015 at 21:25. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 20:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Theres quite a bit of price overlap in global markets as well. Photographs and a cursory glace at a passing vehicle may give the impression that the two cars are similar. But closer inspection will reveal that they appeal to two very different group of target customers.

I am considering the DS because it ticks almost every box on my 'must-have' list. I am not suggesting that the DS is a better car - just that it meets my requirments while the 'pretty similar' Evoque does not.
What is the difference in size between the two?

I'm sure its a lot more spacious as far as interiors go, that would definitely be a plus over the Evoque, with bigger windows and a third row. I even think its an overall better design. Also is a much better off-roader I assume.

But that's what's confusing to me, the Evoque being more expensive than this is just due to the "Range Rover" brand association. It looks to me like the Evoque is to the Discovery Sport, what the CLS is to the E-Class.

Or have I got it completely wrong?
Old 7th September 2015, 20:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:

I'm sure its a lot more spacious as far as interiors go, that would definitely be a plus over the Evoque, with bigger windows and a third row. I even think its an overall better design. Also is a much better off-roader I assume.

But that's what's confusing to me, the Evoque being more expensive than this is just due to the "Range Rover" brand association. It looks to me like the Evoque is to the Discovery Sport, what the CLS is to the E-Class.

Or have I got it completely wrong?
Range Rover as a brand, for all intents and purposes, provides the offroading-go anywhere capability of a Land Rover along with a much more purpose built luxury interior. This is the inherent difference between the two segments. As you can probably see, the Disco Sport, features a very nice interior (required by modern standards), however, the Evoque is the purpose built luxury off roader (Or rather soft roader). In terms of offroading capabilities, Disco Sport would definitely be better than the Evoque for sure, purely because its comes under the "Land Rover" category. Other than that, they both belong to the same platform, have the same suspension types (with some improvements on the Disco sport, off course). Its the utility value that makes the difference here.

Hope I made sense

Last edited by asivan : 7th September 2015 at 20:27. Reason: Wording correction
asivan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 20:54   #35
Zed
BHPian

Quote:

It looks to me like the Evoque is to the Discovery Sport, what the CLS is to the E-Class. Or have I got it completely wrong?
I believe the Discovery sport is (or rather will be) to the next gen Discovery what the Evoque is to the range Rover sport.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 21:16   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ive seen both the Discovery Sport and the Evoque side by side in Dubai last week.
The Evoque that I saw was better trimmed but it is essentially a small luxury "lifestyle" SUV. About one and a half sizes bigger than the Yeti more or less.
The Discovery Sport that I saw, was also very well trimmed and is essentially a small-medium "family" SUV.
Both cars are excellent - the 2015 Discovery Sport SE is at about 159000 AED from what that chap there told me.
The Dynamic Sport Evoque is at about 245000 AED from what I remember.
RR is more upmarket than the Discovery for sure.
But effectively, both vehicles have their unique value propositions.
Personally, I prefer the Evoque for sure. A neighbour of mine has one and I hanker after it every morning on my morning walk when I see it!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 21:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the Discovery sport is (or rather will be) to the next gen Discovery what the Evoque is to the range Rover sport.
Can someone clarify whether this one is a segment below earlier discovery since now it is named "discovery sport" ( like sport is lower than vogue in range rover range).Earlier discovery had a superb suspension ,better than vogue in comfort and off-roading capability was also superb .Is this new DS in same category or segment lower.
Old 7th September 2015, 21:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Can someone clarify whether this one is a segment below earlier discovery since now it is named "discovery sport" ( like sport is lower than vogue in range rover range).Earlier discovery had a superb suspension ,better than vogue in comfort and off-roading capability was also superb .Is this new DS in same category or segment lower.
The DS is not in the same category as the earlier "full size" Discovery, it comes into Small/Medium SUV category. The upcoming Discovery will be the full size replacement of the previous generation. This one is the replacement for Freelander 2
asivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 00:24   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
This was supposed to replace the Freelander 2 and the top variant of that fell within the 50 lakh bracket. Considering this will be assembled in India, I am shocked at the pricing.
Currently the vehicle comes in in a CKD format and is assembled at Pune. Over sometime I assume manufacturing for this model may also move to India at which point you will see a price drop as well. Much like the strategy employed by the Big Three Germans.

Also, even though this is a replacement for the Freelander it is larger, more plush and definitely more modern when it come to the electronics and gear. Hence, the price diff is quite expected since this is a more premium product and the first in the line of the new Discovery series under the LR brand.

Quote:

Yep the pricing will lead to a little bit of cannibalism between the Discovery Sport and the Evoque and not only in the top spec model. In india for instance, you can have the top spec Evoque for the same money as the HSE Lux Disco sport or even slightly less. So the question really becomes do you want the RR branding and will spend most of you time in the city AND you don't mind a 2 seater ... which really the Evoque becomes if you need to take a journey of more than an hour : )! Or are you looking to do some real out doorsey stuff in an LR that was well built to do cool stuff like that. Now this is in direct reference to these two vehicles in question so please don't get on my case regarding the lack of a low range gear box in the Disco well ... if I had 1.5 cr to spare I would have gone larger with all that kit.

Quote:
If you are looking to travel around India the DS has to rate as a good choice. Not sure of the service infrastructure of JLR in India – is there a tie up with Tata network for basic service / repairs ?

To be honest I am enamored with the prospect of owning a 'terrain-slaying' LR. As you can imagine SUVs aren’t necessarily considered the optimum solution for personal transportation in this part of the world. Which is why a bunch of colleagues believe that my decision in favor of the LR-DS is an error in judgment. My wife absolutely loved the time she spent in the TD car on account of the space - we've got a 2 Yr old and its amazing how much gear a toddler requires!
I think the Disco Sport ticks all the boxes for my choice as well. Just recently JLR has moved from being just an arm of TATA in india to JLR India as a sub brand. So they are investing in their own service network. I personally am not too sure of how large and how wide spread that network currently is but, I'll check in on it.

Dude I completely concur with you my entire reason for buying the Disco sport is to get out and do some road tripping. Explore the outdoors and get off road

I believe the dual purpose life that the Disco Sport can lead ... in the city with the family on daily runs and then just breaking free to do some decent off roading while at the same time offering more than decent comfort and luxury can hardly be matched by any other Lux Compact SUV on the market today. Is say go for it : )
R170 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 01:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
As Asivan said, this car technically has nothing to do with the current Discovery and is a replacement for the Freelander 2.

The reason they named it the "Discovery Sport" was to do away with the "Freelander" line entirely, and have two main lines, the "Range Rover" and "Discovery". This gives them the freedom of later having a model that could plug in between the Discover Full-Size and the Discovery Sport, just like the Range Rover Sport slots in between the Vogue and the Evoque.
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 09:30   #41
BHPian

But so awesome : )

The Range Rover Sentinel

The first inhouse Armoured vehicle build by Land Rover.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150...of-range-rover

R170 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 11:53   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The Discovery Sport powered with the 2.0L Ingenium diesel will be here next year. It will be replacing the 2.2-litre diesel engine which is a Ford built unit.

Quote:
There won’t be a major change in the pricing of the vehicle and the Pimpri is already in process of working on engine assembly for this new engine.

JLR India has plans to roll out several new products next year and this new engine is also a part of the company’s plan.

The other products from JLR that will get the 2.0-litre Ingenium engine in India will be the Range Rover Evoque, new XE and the new-generation XF as well.

The F-PACE will be launched in early 2016, and will be coming to India by the end of 2016. The XJ MY2016 too shall be making its way into India next year.
Motor Octane
Old 26th October 2015, 11:08   #43
BHPian

In speaking with some JRL folks I was lead to believe this is quite a lot of vehicles baiting for the Ingenium engines. Hence, the discovery sport diesel Ingenium may only be out in India by late 2016.
Old 10th December 2015, 16:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

A video of the capabilities of the Discovery Sport by Fifth Gear. Apparently the only car you will ever need. Brits really want LR to do well, just as Indians and Tata

PS. I checked that nobody else had shared this on the thread. Apologies and please delete if it was already shared.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 16:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Guy's can anyone throw some light on the detuned engine of the Discovery Sport. Their 3 variant's Pure , SE and HSE get the detuned 147 Bhp engine while only their HSE luxury variant has the more powerful 177 Bhp engine.

I test drove the HSE luxury variant and felt that the 177 Bhp was just adequate. I do not know anything about the 147 Bhp engine , is there any reviews around for me to watch.

Also is there a big step up in the new Ingenium engines from the current ones ? Is it worth waiting for it or will they keep the Ingenium engines again only for the top most variant ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks