Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 04:08   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Give them a break yaar - thats a test mule with no labels, no chrome or any other trim on it whatsoever, obviously abused and thrown around. That doesnt even look like a pre-prod batch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
@ Anirban da: This is just a pre production proto. I think those gaps shall be fixed in the production models.
Quality is to be "designed" into the system, rather than an after thought. I am sure they are paying a lot of attention to it.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:44   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
why would tata want to attack its own

for the same reasons maruti attacked wagon r with estilo

tata had a dominance in people mover segment and they would never want any competition there thereore they have to offer more then one choice there. there are more then 10 lacs indicas on road which are to be eventually replaced in next 5-7 years and vista, indigo cs and palio mjd with non ps/non ac versions will be right products.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:36   #288
SuperSyn

• If it's certain that one of the engines is a 1.2 diesel, I am sure that it would be a three cylinder design. I cannot see Tata coming up with a 299.95cc per cylinder I4 engine.

• I hope they have taken extensive measures to minimize the vibrations from this 3 cylinder design.

• The lack of VG turbo is also easy to explain. They will bolt the VGT to this very engine when it is used in the new Indigo.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2008 at 10:27. Reason: Do NOT use terms that may offend some parts of the Indian society.

Old 6th August 2008, 13:52   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
  • If it's certain that one of the engines is a 1.2 diesel, I am sure that it would be a three cylinder design. I cannot see Tata coming up with a 299.95cc per cylinder I4 engine
No, the diesel is either 1.3 QJD, 1.5 NA or 1.4TCIC.
Its the petrol that has to come under 1.2 L capacity
Old 6th August 2008, 14:02   #290
Team-BHP Support

1.5Na will be for taxi market. It will give aorund 60bhp(7 more than the current 53bhp version).
Increasing displacement from 1.4L to 1.5L is less expensive in terms of cost than putting in a Turbo-Intercooler. Morever NA engine will be more resistant to abuse. How many taxi drivers do you think will idle vehicle for 30 seconds before pushing off or shutting down?
1.3 is the Fiat engine which will be offered in the Indica for the first time. Its much superior to tata's own DICOR in terms of vibrations etc.,(have sat in a DICOR and driven a DICOR too!)
Now 1.4 may be offered in lower variants as TCIC or maybe even DICOR. Now does it make sense to have 1.3QJD and 1.4DICOR in the same vehicle, well I don't know. Only when Tata launches the car we will know.
Going by past performance of Tata they are masters of offering different engines in same model.
For example the current indica has seen these flavors
1.2P 1.4P 1.4NA 1.4TC 1.4TCIC 1.4DICOR

Now we have 1.5NA and 1.3QJD coming up. This will get rid of 1.4NA definitely
Old 6th August 2008, 15:17   #291
tez
BHPian

out of the three diesels being offered by tata, what will the new shape carry or will the new shape carry all the engines? I feel old design would stay for cabbies and the new design would grace the QJD
Old 6th August 2008, 16:45   #292
SuperSyn

tsk1979 what you say seems reasonable. Tata will have to price the FIAT diesel QJD/MJD Indica close to Swift variant-to-variant, because otherwise the consumers will stay with Suzuki. Even though the Indica is a more spacious car.

How will they price all these engines and trim variants? Crazy.

Old 6th August 2008, 16:46   #293
Senior - BHPian

1.5 NA doesnt makes any sense to me atleast unless and until they are looking at phasing out the current Indica which doesnt seems to be the case.
Old 6th August 2008, 16:47   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1.5Na will be for taxi market.

Morever NA engine will be more resistant to abuse.
1.5 will not be for Taxi market as it will cost around 5Lac. In sense it will be for the rural market where adultrated diesel will cause no harm to this NA. But still it is a bad idea from Tata. As it is going to dent the image of the Vista, like bad smoke in tail pipe, less pickup etc..
Old 7th August 2008, 14:23   #295
BHPian

I walked into Shaman motors bhandup today to book my car in for service. I was chatting with one of the sales guys there about the v3. He mentioned that their sales team induction for the v3 was happening after 'shravan month' and the cars are scheduled to be launched around Sept 15.
Hope its true and not some gyan.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:25   #296
BHPian

SO that makes three prospective launch dates now.
15 August, 15 september and janam-ashtami (the last date was told by my "very close friend" who works for Tata)
Old 7th August 2008, 15:51   #297
Senior - BHPian

15th August can definitely be ruled out I think. Dont see things happening so fast and quick with Tata Motors
Old 7th August 2008, 15:59   #298
BHPian

2008 saw grande (launched), nano, vista and xenon (confirmed spottings)
and new indica (camouflaged).

If you dont call this fast then i dont know what will be?

The way they are doing it these days you cant rule out 15 August as well (though its just 8 days away)
Old 7th August 2008, 16:25   #299
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Quality is to be "designed" into the system, rather than an after thought. I am sure they are paying a lot of attention to it.
A pre-production version is not made on the assembly line/ system. It is hand made mostly without the fixtures and tooling which one uses on the assembly line
Old 7th August 2008, 17:00   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
A pre-production version is not made on the assembly line/ system. It is hand made mostly without the fixtures and tooling which one uses on the assembly line
Yes, and it could be a faulty equipment / instrument from one of the vendor, that was found after agressive testing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks