Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2015, 14:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

September 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Management Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 14:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: September 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 14:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 14:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 14:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:05   #6
BHPian

Wow; looks like Hyundai cannot put a foot wrong these days. They have 5 vehicles in the top 20 last month. I am pretty sure that the numbers of I10, Xcent and Eon are up there largely due to the huge discounts hyundai are providing; but one good thing about Hyundai is that they sense the pulse of the market correctly.

Honda City numbers are falling and I think it is personally due to the new hybrid Ciaz. As I had mentioned in another post; it is significantly much cheaper to buy a Ciaz, as compared to a City in Chennai (with extra tax on cars costing more than 10 L).

The pattern in our market more or less remains the same but I am now interested in a couple of new launches:
A) Will creta keep its numbers in the coming months?
B) Will Ford with new/updated products make a dent in the market?
C) How will the indian public receive the TUV300?
D) the "Kwid". If this car cannot shake the Alto/Celerio/Wagon R trifecta; nothing can!

I TD the aspire diesel recently and loved the car. It is an honest vehicle by Ford and I think I might book it in the next couple of months.
nivatakavacha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:20   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So Pseudo SUV segment only Grows,

EcoSport 3K+
S-Cross 3K+
Creta 7K+
TUV 300 3K+
Duster + Terrano - 1.5K

And to top it Ladder on frames in the same price band like Safari, Scorpio and on the higher side XUV all also sell in decent numbers.

Duster and Terrano seem to be the major losers in the shake up with Creta, SCross and TUV 300 coming on. The rest have survived.

Mobilo numbers are going down and the Ertiga too went down possibly due to the refresh coming in. But people seem to be going for the sporty look in general rather than just a people mover.

Why is the Quanto continuing though? They might as well stop selling it or it needs a SIGNIFICANT REFERESH and REDESIGN.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th October 2015 at 14:18. Reason: loosers > losers.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:33   #8
BHPian

Hyundai has managed an incredible feat, claiming dominant position in the entire 8-15L price bracket thanks to i20 and Creta. They've managed to do what Maruti can only dream of as of now.

Good to see the Jazz having a decent run, Honda must be satisfied. With City and Amaze doing well too, they can breathe easy for now.

Also, the D segment is visibly shrinking, and among others Creta might have a role to play as well here.

Last edited by avisidhu : 12th October 2015 at 15:35.
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Hyundai has managed an incredible feat, claiming dominant position in the entire 8-15L price bracket thanks to i20 and Creta. They've managed to do what Maruti can only dream of as of now.
You forgot Verna's sales performance will making above statement. It is a pain to see such a good looking car not showing any presence in the sales chart.

It is interesting to note that Bolero and TUV's combined sales is similar to Bolero's pre-April figures.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 12th October 2015 at 15:47.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
You forgot Verna's sales performance will making above statement. It is a pain to see such a good looking car not showing any presence in the sales chart.
I did notice. But presumably Verna is being cannibalized by the Creta, and by all accounts must be delivering higher margins for Hyundai in the process. Seven thousand units in this price category is not easy, it must be a situation Hyundai would be happy to live with as long as customers stay within the same roof.
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:54   #11
BHPian

Maruti: Celerio steadily moving towards the 10K number! Alto & Dzire, both sticking around 20K boundary. Alto really needs some good changes - we do not want this iconic brand diminished by a new entrant! It is possible that Maruti is going to laugh its way to the bank, as Renault is not able to deliver the Kwids in time, but still it is a chance for Alto to be changed for the good!
Dzire, unfazed by the stiff competition from new entrants - would still need some changes. Give us 6 airbags please!
Swift, again ditto - would need some changes. Give us 6 airbags please!! And add the GPS navigation here as well! If you do so, you would not need a Baleno!
S-Cross already giving discounts. Probably they should introduce a facelift soon, adding few more colour options, and a diesel automatic. Here too, Give us 6 airbags please!
Ertiga's numbers dropping. I do not believe sales are dropping, as Ertiga is the uncontested MPV as of now. But there are a lot of Ertiga advertisements and discounts going around. Why is that?
WagonR, Omni, EECO etc are selling for Maruti, just by keeping them on their chart. The existing cars are their advertisements

Hyundai: Good to see that they now have both Grand i10 and the i20 crossing 11K units. Creta maintaining steady 7K numbers. Hyundai is one company, with many models having steady waiting lists. Eon running discounts to counter Kwid and it should work, because, Eon is a car that was not given its needed push from the company till now.
Honda: Surprise! Amaze on Top 10. Crossed 6K again after 3 months. City, Jazz, and Amaze combination should give them steady numbers of about 15K each month, while others have nothing to speak of. While the Mobilio itself is struggling, a similar sibling BR-V will not give any edge, in my opinion.
M&M: What Bolero managed as 8K numbers a few months back, now Bolero & TUV300 manage together as 10K! Quanto can be withdrawn, Canto may not be necessary! XUV500 doing its usual good figures, while Xylo managing the usual poor sales. I think they can spruce up the Xylo a bit, as the MPV segment needs such a vehicle from M&M!
Ford: Aspire has already come down to 3K numbers. Figo will raise to stabilize at 3K, while Ecosport seems to continue and maintain 3K numbers. These 3 should give Ford some 10K unit sales each month.
Tata: Zest got 2K sales after so much of advertisements, discounts etc. Bolt needs price correction, and few key changes to sell in good numbers. Nano is finally doing some 2K+ numbers. Kites should not go the Zest/Bolt way, so make sure your dealers, marketing etc are in sync!
Toyota: King of Taxi segement and D1/D2 segments!
Fiat: Abarth is not going to make the industry shake, but surely Fiat will see several % increase, due to its current dismal sales numbers.
Renault / Nissan / Datsun: Kwid numbers seen on the chart for the first time. Duster / Terrano are reduced to 30% of its pre-Creta sales. On Creta Entry, Ecosport survived, and Duster took the hit head on and crashed. All others including Lodgy does not matter really. Despite the free gold, the Datsun sales are failing. The new advertisements of Go+, as a big station wagon should give it a push in the next few months.
VW / Skoda: What can I say? Let us wait and watch!
Chevrolet: What is that?
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 16:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Will the person who bought the Grand Vitara last month please stand up?
Sir/Ma'am, I would like to shake your hand, and congratulate you for being such an outstanding outlier!

Looks like the Dzire is unshakable at the top of the compact sedan sales chart. Amaze, Xcent, Aspire, Zest have done absolutely nothing to its sales numbers.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 12th October 2015 at 16:13. Reason: made the post gender-neutral
KiloAlpha is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 16:14   #13
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2015 at 14:21.
aviat18 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th October 2015, 16:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Ertiga's numbers dropping. I do not believe sales are dropping, as Ertiga is the uncontested MPV as of now. But there are a lot of Ertiga advertisements and discounts going around. Why is that?
Just to let you know the Ertiga facelift launch is just around the corner (15th Oct is the launch date). Further details on the Ertiga thread over here ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-170.html

The discounts and offers are most likely to clear the existing stock (whatever might have been left out). Just today I checked with two Maruti dealers in Pune and none of them have the Ertiga diesel in stock (they have a few petrols though).

Ertiga figures are following a trend similar to that of Ciaz. The consistent sales of Ciaz of 4.5K dropped to 3.7K and then to 2K during the launch of Ciaz SHVS. Now they are again back to 4K+ since last two months.

On similar lines, Ertiga dropped from the usual 5.5K to 3.1K and now 2.6K. In all probability once the facelift gets launched, it will once again hit the 5K figure.

Quote:
While the Mobilio itself is struggling, a similar sibling BR-V will not give any edge, in my opinion.
You have hit the nail on its head.Some time back I posted this in the BRV thread. This again seems to be a half hearted attempt from Honda to ride the compact SUV wave. First they tried to target the space between Ertiga and Innova with the Mobilio and now they want to have a pie of the Creta and Duster market with the BRV. Honda has been smart enough to use the City's interiors in BRV, however the side profile and those doors, which are a straight lift from the Mobilio mars the looks of otherwise good looking SUV. I don't think the BRV can find many takers if not priced very aggressively compared to its nearest competition.

Quote:
M&M: What Bolero managed as 8K numbers a few months back, now Bolero & TUV300 manage together as 10K!
Here again you are right. TUV3OO has gained those numbers at the cost of Bolero.

Quote:
All others including Lodgy does not matter really.
Lodgy has fallen from its crest like a pack of cards. The initial launch euphoria saw 2K+ units getting dispatched, but the last months figures are a paltry one tenth of the initial launch figures. Customers perceived the Lodgy as a direct competitor to Ertiga and not the Innova. Would anyone then pay a 3.5 lakh premium over the Ertiga. It has repeated the same fate as the Mobilio.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2015 at 14:27. Reason: Typos
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 16:44   #15

It seems the whole VW fiasco has not created second thoughts in the minds of buyers as the sales chart is a little plus or minus except polo. Maybe in next month's sales chart position will be more clear.
Aspire is settling at 3-3.5k mark is a good start and Figo hatchback will sit at 4-5k mark in coming months.

To me Hyundai is a champion altogether. They are eating the part of pie which has lots of cream. With creta, i20 and grand i10's success, they are in a segment where maruti wants to come.

S-Cross and Creta launched almost at the same time. Now they are miles apart. In coming months the story will unfold more but it's difficult for S -Cross to get a hand on Creta.

Kwid, well, pre booking shows another star with more than 25k bookings. Numbers will come once delivery starts. Again will see a good fight at entry level.

Amaze has started discounts but that was not that much that amaze has so.much increase MoM basis.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2015 at 14:29. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed