Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 12:41   #16
BHPian

Re: National Green Tribunal says, 10 year old Diesel Vehicles banned in Delhi

Also, I fail to understand as to how the NGT has ignored the use of diesel-powered generators in Delhi? Look at any Bank branch in Delhi, and it has a big diesel-powered generator that will put any diesel vehicle to shame when it comes to extent of pollution caused.
rdhawan15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:03   #17
BHPian

Re: SUV Registrations Banned in Delhi NCR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
News Just in

Mahindra is also Launching a XUV500 DMB edition with 1999 CC Brand New MParrot Engine
MB India in talks with Tata to jointly develop 1999 CC Engine derived from DiCor engine
Tata does have a sub 2 litre MPV in the form of Winger. Will it see some spike in sales due to this order? Maybe we will see Sumo being relaunched with the same engine too. But TATA is not known to move fast in taking decisions unlike M&M. Remember when that silly rule of higher excise duty on vehicles with ground clearance of more than 170mm was announced XUV immediately got a plastic engine guard to lower the ground clearance.
Is down sizing a 2.2 litre engine to below 2 litre that difficult or expensive?
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

No diesel car above 2000CC in NCR till March 31, 2016

Supreme Court bans registration of SUV above 2000cc in NCR till March 2016.

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/regis...-lateststories

I am one of the victim of the ruling as Storme was coming within a few days
Old 16th December 2015, 14:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

“Why should a rich man travel in a diesel car and pollute the environment,” (sic) the bench said. Please note that 75% of sales of Mercedes, Audi and BMW are attributable to diesel cars.

As diesel is subsidized in India, and the chief reason for doing so is for usage in public transports/farm equipment/locomotives, morally I am against using the same subsidized diesel in luxury, or for that matter any personal vehicle usage.

India may want to shift to the pattern followed by UK, wherein there are 2 types of diesels available in the market - normal priced and subsidized. Subsidized diesel emits a blue smoke, and if the same is emitted from a personal vehicle, stiff fines/impounding are charged.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 14:45   #20

SC's ban on diesels with >2,000 cc capacity in Delhi

I respect the decision but think overall SC's decision to ban diesels with capacity more than 2,000 cc in Delhi is a hasty one without putting proper thought behind it.

Just as an comparison to give more perspective -

Suzuki Swift 1,300 CC Petrol
Co2 emissions: 129 Grams/Km.
BMW 320d 2,000 CC Diesel
Co2 emissions: 117 Grams/Km.

Source: Autoevolution

http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/su...0-12l-at-94-hp

http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/bm...20d-8at-184-hp

Maybe focusing more on the commercial vehicles - especially the heavy commercial vehicles, auto rickshaws etc could have had a greater impact. Also maybe taxes based on the Carbon Dioxide emission numbers would have made more sense rather than a blanket ban imposed as of now. They would also give incentives to the manufacturers to push further R&D developments towards reducing emissions.

Any thoughts?

P. S. I don't have anything against Swift owners - just took it as an example to illustrate my point.

Note to mods: Please merge with an appropriate thread if there exists. Couldn't find one and hence started a new one.
AR123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 14:51   #21
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
To curb the menace of air pollution the Supreme Court has decided to levy a ban on registration of cars above 2000 cc till 31st March, 2016. T
* The diesel registration ban for 2000cc+ vehicles applies to entire NCR (till 31st March 2016) (when the bench meets again they can decide whether or not to make the ban permanent)
What are your opinions on the matter ?
Another bad decision by court. The court should ban vehicles on the basis on NOx and CO2 emissions, not on the basis of engine size. Mercedes will get affected most as their diesel engine size is 2.2 L. BMW and Audi are less affected as their 2 litre engine size is below 2000cc.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 14:57   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the ban mean only registrations are banned and the dealerships can continue to sell these Diesel vehicles ? If that is true, what is the status of such vehicles after Mar 31 2016. Well, they can't even run till then on a temporary registration!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The Supreme Court does have its heart in the right place. Harish Salve is correct in saying that one diesel car equals 8 petrol cars as BS4 allows diesel engines to emit 7.5 times more particulate matter + extra NOx gases.

However, I find this order to be rather arbitrary and unscientific. Restrictions should be on the basis of actual pollutants emitted and yes, the norms for that should be stringent. But banning of account of cubic capacity does not make sense.

We can go the US way where both petrol and diesel cars have to comply with the same emission standards. This will automatically remove the anomaly and push manufacturers towards cleaner diesel tech. And if they can't, then so be it. Taxing cars on the basis of pollutants emitted instead of basic price should also be considered.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th December 2015 at 15:06.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:08   #24
BHPian

Just a Few days ago I read in newspaper one Mahindra Executive questioning the Legality of NGT decision. Now after Supreme court decision what choice do they have legally

I think the worst affected will be Maruti (King of diesel Sales in NCR), Tata and Mahindras. Tata and Mahindra both sell cars on the basis of Diesel and have next to nothing when it comes to Petrol.

Last edited by anu21v : 16th December 2015 at 15:22.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Just a Few days ago , I saw one Mahindra Executive questioning the Legality of NGT decision. Now after Supreme court decision what choice do they have legally

I think the worst affected will be Maruti (King of diesel Sales in NCR), Tata and Mahindras. Tata and Mahindra both sell cars on the basis of Diesel and have next to nothing when it comes to Petrol.
The ban is only on vehicles with a diesel engine capacity of 2000 cc (2.0L) or above.

There is no blanket ban on diesel vehicles. Maruti doesn't even have a single vehicle with engine capacity of 2000 cc be it diesel or petrol.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:18   #26
BHPian

Personally I find this extremely stupid.

Instead of banning brand new diesel cars from being registered, why can't they crack down on poorly maintained diesel (and petrol) vehicles, to start off with? Lax implementation of pollution laws allow lax owners to sleep easy and get away with murder (Why spend money on maintenance if I needn't worry about being fined?).

I have seen numerous poorly maintained Government vehicles, Police vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Cabs, Autos and Private cars too, belching black smoke and there doesn't seem to be any checks in place to stopping them. Targeting only private vehicles won't solve the problem.

I am sure that if vehicles are maintained properly, they would pollute relatively less than a poorly maintained one.

Also, if diesel vehicles are more polluting than petrol vehicles, why not come up with a way to encourage people to switch to petrol (costs and everything else considered)? At some point it needs to be decided whether to save that extra Rupee or screw the environment.

Frankly I think this ruling is just an eyewash, and not a real solution. A number of members here have old vehicles (over 10-15 years) which are immaculately maintained and pollute far less than some Government vehicles!
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
The ban is only on vehicles with a diesel engine capacity of 2000 cc (2.0L) or above.

There is no blanket ban on diesel vehicles. Maruti doesn't even have a single vehicle with engine capacity of 2000 cc be it diesel or petrol.
Oh Yes. Rightly pointed. Thanks.

So its Mahindra who is likely to be affected the most
Old 16th December 2015, 15:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR

SC bans registration of diesel SUVs & cars with engines beyond 2000 cc in Delhi & NCR.

Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
All these measures, even if strictly enforced will only help reduce pollution by a negligible percentage. IMHO, NGT & SC are barking up the wrong tree.
Delhi govt has announced these already - those are part of the plans from Jan1st onwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
How will it be decided where the trucks are headed? What alternate routes can they now use?
Trucks can take many other routes around Delhi - for example, trucks coming from Jaipur can go to Rohtak and Panipat to Ambala and then to Jalandhar. Those which want to carry goods to Delhi will have to pay high amount of toll taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Dust is responsible for the majority (53%) of all particulate pollution in Delhi while vehicles overall contribute just 6% of particulate emissions.

Both the Kejriwal Govt. and the NGT have been trying to cover up their inefficiency and incapability in cleaning up the roads and taking actio n against the real estate companies which are the second largest source of dust.

Burning of crop residues in neughbouring states and the particulate pollution from industries surrounding Delhi are the source for the remaining particulate emissions.

The solution is cleaning up dust from the roads, controlling the real estate lobby and relocating industrues surrounding Delhi and not banning vehicles of any sort or this dumb odd even formula.
I'm afraid you have not read the recent briefing from the govt. There is a plan to clean up dust off the roads. Burning garbage will be banned. Construction materials are banned to be put on public places. Also, the govt understands about the pollution caused by industries in neighboring states. But at the same time it is not under their control - hence they plan to discuss the shut down of thermal power plant in Dadri with the central govt.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 16th December 2015 at 15:50. Reason: added more details.
vinodvayyat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:45   #30
BHPian

re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR

Here's the list of affected vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess-0_0_0_http172.17.115.18082news20151216031147_dieselcars2litre.jpg  

barcalad is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks