Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 17:42   #16
BHPian

Re: December 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Lower Ciaz dispatches may be due to sales cannibalization

S Cross & Baleno are definately competent products in the same stable.
Large discounts on the Cross may have swayed the perception of the vehicle.

Add to that a pending Facelift & Nexa Rebranding.

Also, I would rather wait till post AutoExpo for newer vehicles/updates on all the vehicles.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 17:42   #17
BHPian

Few interesting things that directly pop out of the chart:
a) Baleno overtakes i20 in the second month of full sales! January would be interesting to watch, as Hyundai has revised its feature list to offer dual airbags as standard.
b) Dzire sells about 4K less than usual numbers and Swift, about 3K less. Still Baleno sells more than 10K, giving an advantage of 3K for Maruti, with B2 and C1 segment!
c) Kwid enters top ten and is also No.2 in A segment! It may not sustain its position because of Renault's production capacity, but we never know!
d) No shipping for Trailblazer in just the 3rd month of launch? Or still the dealers are stuck with a huge stock of the 150 odd vehicles dispatched in last two months?
e) Ciaz in 2K numbers, surprising, given that it is considered so far a serious competitor to the City. Also, S-Cross is slipping down. A good vehicle, I would say, spoiled by initial price shock and uninspiring looks.
f) Jazz has come down to 2K, and in my opinion, here is where it would settle down. Our market does not generally favour roomy cars, but seem to favour cars with much better exterior looks. One reason Amaze sells better than Jazz.
g) Flood reasons aside, the sales of Figo & Aspire do not seem to indicate a good reception for these. In recent times, Ecosport is their only hit, and let us believe Ecosport will bounce back in comparison to the Creta & Duster.

Overall, good to see, some interesting changes in the Top 10!
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 17:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What's with the Creta's numbers? Hardly see any on the road these days, in spite of the 7k, 5k per month sales.

Same with Kwid. Not able to spot many on road.
Those are sales numbers, the actual deliveries may still be pending. The waiting period is huge. By the time people get deliveries, maybe a facelift will be launched, making them regret
Old 7th January 2016, 17:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Finally Fortuner sales takes a hit! Odd-Even rule effect or Endeavour 2016 effect? only time will tell. Innova also drops to 4K mark.
What is happening with Hyundai Creta at 4K? I thought they had some 90000 bookings in total in India of which they have delivered only around 35-40K.

Other than popular models, most have reported reduced sales. I think manufacturer supplies are low primarily because its December and unless there are heavy discounts no one wants to lose a model for 30 days!
Old 7th January 2016, 17:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quite a forgettable year for Tata. Each and every car in its stable has shown -ve growth YoY. And those -ve percentage is sizeable.
This in spite of two very competent products in Zest and Bolt.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 18:29   #21
BANNED

Any pointers on why the Bolero saw such a steep dive in its sales numbers between April-Sept?
Old 7th January 2016, 19:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Baleno crosses 10k mark and dethrones Elite i20 for second month in a row.
December is the first month Baleno has crossed i20 sales. Great job by Maruti. However, with Hyundai including airbags in all variants of i20 and projector lamps + DRLs in top variant, it would be interesting to see the sales numbers from next month. In my opinion, i20 would maintain its sales numbers as before. Baleno would take a slight dip in its sales numbers and thereafter maintain its position, partly due to limited Nexa outlets. The cars taking direct hit from this competition are actually Swift and Dzire, which is already showing up in this month's figures.

Last edited by makk : 7th January 2016 at 19:33. Reason: changed reference word from Baleno to Maruti
Old 7th January 2016, 19:16   #23
BHPian

When most manufactures look for a great december with the offers and discounts. Except for Honda city, rest all models from Honda stables is going southward.

Did we see any Honda special december advertisement's in papers? Like Hyundai's december delight or Toyota's remember december ad's?
Attached Thumbnails
December 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-capture1.jpg  

Old 7th January 2016, 20:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Didn't anyone notice the top gainer of the month - Datsun GO 71% increase in sales. GO Plus is also in the top 10.

They must have caught some marketing magic. Maybe Ford should learn a thing or 2 from them
Old 7th January 2016, 21:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Honda has been hit hard by its competitors, either by offering discounts or by better models
Amaze : I did not see Honda ads in newspapers but Hyundai's Xcent and Marutis Dzire had quite a few discounts/offers ads in newspapers
Mobilio: Again no discounts compared to Lodgy or Ertiga
Jazz : Bettered by Baleno and i20 Elite
City: The only one which did not disappoint
Brio: Tilting more towards enthusiasts, better competition (Figo, Grand i10) might make this car irrelevant soon.

Fiat has me less worried compared to Tata ! Their sales have been flat YoY but Tata has come down despite having comparatively fresher models. Time to see if Safari sells more with the Varicor 400 engine.

Chennai floods must have affected some production of Ford and Hyundai cars, so lets wait for January figures.

Toyota Fortuner looks like a victim of Delhi ban or people waiting for Ford Endeavour

Chevrolet must do something fast before it loses more dealerships. Their only product -The Beat- which managed to touch 1000 is losing to competitors. Taxi segment hasn't completely lost faith in Tavera yet, they can do something to increase it sales even more. Last I read the Trailblazer was 'sold out' till April/March but no dispatch this month ?
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 21:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Except for Honda city, rest all models from Honda stables is going southward.

Did we see any Honda special december advertisement's in papers? Like Hyundai's december delight or Toyota's remember december ad's?
We went to check out the City. Discounts offered were "0", even when we mentioned there is no loan requirement and payment will be NEFT'd immediately after PDI is done. Not an inch of bargaining there. We were surprised to find this in the month of December, last week. Not even a follow up call till now.
Old 7th January 2016, 21:30   #27
BHPian

December numbers are expected to be lower than the rest of the year, but this December, there was added challenge of the Chennai floods. Few takeaways from the monthly numbers reported.

*Baleno sprinted to the lead of the premium hatch race, even with NEXA's reach disadvantage.
*Hyundai does not have much to worry in this space with both Grand i10 and Elite i20 shifting 6 digit numbers. Creta's slump looks like an one off instance. Having the Verna perform would have helped them gain better market share.
*Honda has another dud in their stable and they have themselves to blame. They priced the Jazz right out of contention. Even its poor cousin, the Amaze, is selling better numbers. Honda's pricing logic was, "We don't have the best product in the segment but we are Honda, so lets make the idiots pay to drive our car".
*Renault Kwid does a super debut. Renault will need to keep their production line and A$$ updated to keep up with the demand and also sustain it.
*Tata had good products in their Zest, Bolt and Storme, but their sales and service teams are running with their shoe-laces tied up. Time for a major shakeup or getting better staff.
*VW seems to just sink into the sunset with the diesel-gate controversy. Polo/Vento numbers have taken a hit.
*Fortuner numbers have dropped steadily. Now, need to watch the space with the launch of the Ford Endeavour and also the Fortuner's facelift.
*Chevrolet and Fiat are not even interested in selling cars.

Now waiting for the new year. Exciting times for anyone who analyses the market and want things to evolve. So many questions and dynamics.
What will be the impact of the Delhi ban for diesel cars over 2000cc ? Would Mahindra still hold on to its 3rd spot ? Would VW recover from their PR debacle ? Would Chevrolet find their brains ? Stay tuned.
Burn_out is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 21:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the Luxury car sales for December.

Mercedes Benz (1108) leads the way, followed by Audi (1021), BMW (668) and Volvo (155).
Mercedes & Audi sell more E & A6 then BMW sells the smaller & cheaper 3 series! In fact, BMW sells more 5 series then 3. What went wrong with the 3 series for BMW? The A4 despite being older outsells the BMW 3. That is surprising.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 21:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

So, here it is. 2015's top selling cars in India throws no surprises at all with 9 Maruti-Suzukis, 5 Hyundais, 2 Hondas, 2 Mahindras, 1 Toyota and 1 Ford making it to the top twenty!

December 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2015s-bestselling-cars-india.jpg

Source: http://anything-on-wheels.blogspot.i...s-utility.html
arvi86 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 22:27   #30
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the most awaited thread of the month !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
We went to check out the City. Discounts offered were "0". Not an inch of bargaining there. Not even a follow up call till now.
Thats exactly what I faced with my Honda Dealer and is ought to happen when you have a super seller in your kitty. Honda knows that they dont need to drag people to their showrooms to buy the City. Until and unless there is a strong competitor, the situation is going to remain the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I won't read too much into the December sales figures.the data for Jan will be interesting and give a clear picture of who stands where.
Absolutely !! Too many variable factors in December which wont give correct picture.
  • Increase in Duster numbers, although might be due to discounts etc. but Kwid has managed to uplift the image of Renault as a serious manufacturer.
  • Figo/Aspire not selling in the numbers they deserve is definitely an indication of the unpredictability of the Indian car market. What else Ford needs to do ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks