Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 01:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV

As per an NDTV Auto exclusive, Hyundai India is poised to unveil it's latest subcompact SUV offering in February 2016, either at the 2016 Auto Expo or at an independent event just before it, thus making it's world debut in India itself.

Slated to be priced slightly higher than the i20 Active (Rs.6.47L - Rs.9.17L)* but lower than the Creta (Rs.8.69L - Rs.13.80L)*, this all-new Hyundai offering will be a Front Wheel Drive model only, and will share it's underpinnings with the i20 twins and the Creta. Engine & transmissions are likely to be shared with the i20 Active, with the 1.4L Diesel from the Creta as an option too.

Pricing is expected to be between the Rs.7.5 lakh - Rs.10 lakh price range, which would place it right between the i20 Active and the Creta price brackets.

This would help Hyundai India cover the entire SUV range from Rs.6 lakhs to Rs.30 lakhs with 5 SUV-based offerings by the end of 2016, with the i20 Active at the lowest end, then this new sub-compact SUV, then the Creta, then the Tucson/Tucson-based SUV, and finally, the Santa Fe.

Since the market demand and the craze for SUVs & SUV-based crossovers is on the rise, Hyundai India is perfectly poised to make the most of it in the next year or two.

However, expect this Hyundai sub-compact SUV to arrive in showrooms only after the Tucson/Tucson-based SUV's launch. Once launched, it will take on the likes of the Ford EcoSport & the TUV300 in the Indian market.

(*=ex-showroom, Delhi)

NDTV Auto

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th January 2016 at 01:22.
RavenAvi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 03:44   #2
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV

This certainly comes as a surprise! Not the fact that they're developing a sub-4m sibling to the Creta, but the news that it's going to be displayed at next month's Auto Expo.

If it's only going to be a concept (like the Hexaspace), then it's quite understandable. If it's going to be the unveiling of a production ready car, then it's got to be very quick product development indeed.

What this vehicle needs is the 1.0 Kappa direct injection turbo petrol motor. This engine has just made its international debut in the German i20 with a 6-speed manual transmission.

The 1.0 Kappa T-GDI 6MT & 1.4 U2 CRDi 6MT would be the ideal choice of petrol & diesel powertrains for this sub-4m EcoSport rival. An AT option should also be offered.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 09:32   #3
BHPian

Just bring in an Auto tranny now.. a 5/6 Speed AT . CVT will do the job.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 12:22   #4
BHPian

Well.. that is a surprising scoop. So this is going to go up against the vitara brezza which is also going to be unveiled soon. Given that the brezza has been spotted running with camouflage and no such details about the Hyundai, it might not yet be a production ready model.
praveen_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 17:02   #5
BHPian

A new compact SUV placed between Activei20 and Creta will be an interesting product from Hyundai to look forward to. In addition to the efficient 1.4 diesel, a more powerful petrol engine replacing the existing 1.2 kappa in the Active should make it sportier. The 1.0 turbo petrol may be included as an option.

Hi All, This is my first post in the forum. Greetings to all.

Last edited by Dhruba_Nazira : 8th January 2016 at 17:19. Reason: First Post tag added
Dhruba_Nazira is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 17:20   #6
BHPian

Well thats a pleasant surprise.! IMHO it should have a different design and should not look like a baby Creta which inturn looks like a baby Santa Fe.

This will defintiely post a stiff competition to Maruthi and it may be curtains to Ecosport which is already struggling.
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 12:14   #7
BHPian

This is interesting. What's surprising is the news that they're going to showcase it next month and no one got a scoop pic or any minor detail as to how it's going to look like The sub-4m market is getting hotter.

The rate at which new models are designed and launched, I get a feeling that it'd better to not buy a car, but go out, rent it and enjoy. How about the manufacturers themselves renting out cars? They already have a wide network all over the country. Maybe renting a car is not as profitable as selling one
Old 9th January 2016, 13:13   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think it's an unveiling and not a production-ready SUV. Hope it's not a mere concept though.

Hyundai does a lot of pre-launch testing in India - even the Sonata & Santa Fe which have high import content & have already been tested / launched abroad were put through pre-launch testing on Indian roads. We'd have spotted this compact SUV by now if it were ready for production.

If I were Mahindra (TUV300), Ford (EcoSport) or Renault (Duster), this news of Maruti & Hyundai compact SUVs would give me sleepless nights.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 16:01   #9
BHPian

The actual car launch would be after Diwali, this is going to be only a pre-launch. Given the 10 months time till launch, would they have the final body design ready to unveil the car as it would be sold later? Or just a concept? The timelines are clearly mentioned in the report -

"The Tuscon will definitely debut at the 2016 Auto Expo, and pricing is likely to be announced subsequently. Hyundai would want the car in place for a pre-Diwali launch in the market. The subcompact SUV though will likely arrive only after that - though Hyundai's Korean HQ is excited at the market potential of this product and is pushing to expedite the market introduction. "
Old 9th January 2016, 18:01   #10
BHPian

In all probability, it could be a spurced up Grand i10. On the same lines of the i20 active.
It's just the media that dubbed it as a small SUV and not Hyundai as such.

Last edited by vinair : 9th January 2016 at 18:03.
Old 9th January 2016, 23:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
In all probability, it could be a spurced up Grand i10. On the same lines of the i20 active.
It's just the media that dubbed it as a small SUV and not Hyundai as such.
I Beg to differ. What's the need for Hyundai to have a spruced up Grand i10 when they already have a crossover in i20 Active.Also an inflated Grand i10 would most probably be priced equal to i20- in this case, a person would go for i20 directly.

With Creta directly competing with Duster, they need a proper sub 4 metre compact SUV to counter Ecosport and Maruti's upcoming Brezza.
autospeaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The all-new Hyundai compact SUV concept, unveiled at the Auto Expo.

Codenamed "HND-14", tentatively named "CARLINO".

Scheduled to come in the Vitara Brezza/EcoSport segment in a couple of years' time.

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV-co3.jpg

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV-co1.jpg

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV-co2.jpg

On Hyundai's all-new Compact SUV-4.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd February 2016 at 09:53.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:33   #13
BHPian

Kinda reminds me of the Scion xB. These boxy "SUV"s need to get magic seating like the Jazz in place for any good use. Otherwise, it's going to be just another wanna-be.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:51   #14
BHPian

Hyundai products are better in proportions, than any other in India. This will be my next car
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Kinda reminds me of the Scion xB. These boxy "SUV"s need to get magic seating like the Jazz in place for any good use. Otherwise, it's going to be just another wanna-be.
My first thought exactly! To me, Hyundais are cars with amazing interior quality, pretty good looks, but life-less steering and safety features only in top variants. Hopefully, they take care of the safety features for all these cars and then launch this SUV(wannabe?)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks