Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:01   #46
BHPian

Here are the i20 automatic news.

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...hortly/231811/
saravcshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 19:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravcshah View Post
So this article was from early April, and the Creta AT was launched late April.

Also, as pointed in another thread, Gi10 and Xcent AT variants are being reshuffled. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i10-xcent.html)

I think these are sure signs for a i20 AT launch.
Old 8th May 2016, 03:09   #48
BHPian

re: Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic? EDIT: Launched at 9.01 lakhs!

Had a talk with a friend working at Hyundai Motors India and as per him, the i20 Automatic's launch is around the corner. The company has started testing the car in and around Chennai near it's plant. The i20 Active too will come with an automatic transmission and as per him the car is indeed going to get a 6 Speed Automatic gearbox.
The Automatic transmission will be available in Petrol variants only. Hope the news to be true! Fingers Crossed.
YashD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:12   #49
BHPian

Any further update on the i20 automatic? I am about to make a booking for jazz cvt and dont want to regret later, if the car launches after buying jazz
Old 11th July 2016, 17:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Why is Hyundai stubbornly not launching the Elite i20 Automatic in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Any further update on the i20 automatic? I am about to make a booking for jazz cvt and dont want to regret later, if the car launches after buying jazz

It's best you stick to the Jazz cvt. Even with a 6-speed gearbox the i20 Petrol won't be as fuel efficient as the Jazz petrol. Only place where the Jazz lacks is the low end which leads to frequent gear shifts In the MT but yours being the cvt it will be far more convenient. I don't think anyone who is picking up a petrol Jazz over the petrol i20 is going to regret as the former offers a better package. With diesel in consideration the i20 definitely scores over the Jazz diesel.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Any reason why you are not considering the Baleno CVT? It is definitely more fuel efficient than the Jazz.
Old 11th July 2016, 20:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I expect Hyundai to launch it in October to compete with Baleno RS which will come with a 1.0 litre Boosterjet engine in October.

There are rumours that Hyundai may launch automatic with a 1.4 litre engine instead of the current 1.2 litre engine. It will help Hyundai compete with Baleno RS, Ford Figo and Polo GT.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 21:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It's best you stick to the Jazz cvt. Even with a 6-speed gearbox the i20 Petrol won't be as fuel efficient as the Jazz petrol.
With diesel in consideration the i20 definitely scores over the Jazz diesel.
Asit
Of all the hatchbacks i have seen/test driven so far, only i20 is the car that has excited me in appearance and features, but unfortunately it does not have an AT, otherwise i would have booked the car long back. I am if the i20 AT gives me a 8+/liter FE, since my existing i10 AT gives less than 8 in city drive.

Is there also a diesel i20 AT in plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Any reason why you are not considering the Baleno CVT? It is definitely more fuel efficient than the Jazz.
I am actually more interested in Baleno, but the long waiting time has put me off. Also, family's choice is Jazz over Baleno. I felt there is no point in convincing the family for a car which has unrealistic delivery schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I expect Hyundai to launch it in October to compete with Baleno RS which will come with a 1.0 litre Boosterjet engine in October.

There are rumours that Hyundai may launch automatic with a 1.4 litre engine instead of the current 1.2 litre engine. It will help Hyundai compete with Baleno RS, Ford Figo and Polo GT.
Wouldnt the i20 AT be launched with the existing 1.4 engine, why will they go for 1.2 ??

Last edited by ikoneer : 11th July 2016 at 21:13. Reason: Additional Response
Old 11th July 2016, 22:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Of all the hatchbacks i have seen/test driven so far, only i20 is the car that has excited me in appearance and features, but unfortunately it does not have an AT, otherwise i would have booked the car long back. I am if the i20 AT gives me a 8+/liter FE, since my existing i10 AT gives less than 8 in city drive.

Is there also a diesel i20 AT in plan?

I suggested the Jazz over the i20 simply on the basis of the engine, gearbox and overall package. The 1.4 i20 which my friends mom had never crossed 8-9kmpl mark which is pretty stupid considering it's just a 1.4L petrol engine. Thanks to pathetic 4-speed gearbox neither the i10 nor the i20 never managed decent fuel efficiency figures.
OTOH the Jazz or baleno are way more efficient. On the engine front the baleno is even better than the Jazz as it offers better low end performance.

I doubt Hyundai has any plans of launching the 1.4 diesel auto. And even if they do it will be very expensive.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 01:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I doubt Hyundai has any plans of launching the 1.4 diesel auto. And even if they do it will be very expensive.
On the contrary, I believe Hyundai should think smartly and introduce the 6 speed AT with i20 Diesel than on the i20 Petrol.

i20 has a competent diesel motor than the petrol. I think they discontinued the petrol AT due to poor reception, I am surprised they are introducing it back again.

Think of it, how many choices do you have in terms of diesel automatics? Zest XTA is at 9.4L, Dzire ZDi AMT is 9.8L. Remember both have supply issues in terms of AMT units as well.

The i20 Asta(O) CRDI retails at 10.2L, possibly you can expect it to be priced at say 11.2L for the topmost trim.

Which I'd be ready to pay given the dearth of diesel automatics. The i20 is already a very good package, plonking an AT box will only make it complete

The nearest competitor up north are the Rapid/Vento TDI DSGs which retail between 13.x-15.x L. If you discount the VW twins, next up is the Creta SX AT and XUV W6 AT at 17.x L

PS: All prices quoted above are approximate on road prices in Madras.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 13:57   #56
BHPian

Adding on, the i20 diesel AT when launched would be the cheapest proper diesel AT. Somehow the AMT's have never felt like a AT to me.
Old 12th July 2016, 21:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Somehow the AMT's have never felt like a AT to me.
Very True.
Given the FE with my i10 AT, wanted to checkout a diesel AT and i did a test drive of the Dzire diesel AMT with the intention of booking it.
The car felt nice to drive beyond 3rd gear but in 1&2 the jerks were very prominent along with a high engine noise.
Overall did not feel very comfortable driving the AMT and i don't think it can be considered as a replacement to AT
Old 12th July 2016, 23:11   #58
BHPian

[quote=narayans80;4013371.

Think of it, how many choices do you have in terms of diesel automatics? Zest XTA is at 9.4L, Dzire ZDi AMT is 9.8L. Remember both have supply issues in terms of AMT units as well.

The i20 Asta(O) CRDI retails at 10.2L, possibly you can expect it to be priced at say 11.2L for the topmost trim.

Which I'd be ready to pay given the dearth of diesel automatics. The i20 is already a very good package, plonking an AT box will only make it complete

The nearest competitor up north are the Rapid/Vento TDI DSGs which retail between 13.x-15.x L. If you discount the VW twins, next up is the Creta SX AT and XUV W6 AT at 17.x L
.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget VW Ameo TDi DSG coming in few months from now. It may have sub Rs. 10 lakh price tag at launch.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 18:36   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

GaadiWaadi sources report that the Elite i20 will get a 7-speed Automatic gearbox, as it gears up to dethrone the Maruti-Suzuki Baleno from it's top spot in the segment.

Quote:
The automaker is now planning to grab the top spot in the premium hatchback segment of the country. The Elite i20 will get a 7 speed automatic transmission in an attempt for Hyundai’s ambition.

The Hyundai Elite i20 competes against Maruti Suzuki Baleno. The Baleno is the most popular and bestselling premium hatchback of India at present. Now Hyundai eyes to grab that space by introducing the new automatic gearbox to the Elite i20. Only the petrol powered top end trim Asta (O) will receive the automatic transmission though.

The petrol powered top end trim of the car gets a price tag of Rs. 7.69 lakh. Expect the price to be increased at around Rs. 8.50 lakh.

The Hyundai Elite i20 automatic might launch during the upcoming festive season. Meanwhile the dealers are expected to start the pre launch booking for the car soon.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 23:44   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Elite i20 will get a 7-speed Automatic gearbox, as it gears up to dethrone the Maruti-Suzuki Baleno from it's top spot in the segment.
Hyundai was almost taking forever in deciding which kind of combination to release for an automatic in i20, glad that they decided to go with the 7 speed gearbox which will lead to much better city drivability and fuel efficiency. Wonder if the engine will be the 1.2 natural aspirated one or a turbocharged engine or the same old 1.4. The 1.4 will be a mistake and will be better off being planted in the upcoming Verna for sake of green norms. Only hope they tweak the steering a bit more though, the current one is too light for comfort - almost scary.

Festival season release is very vague, we have Ganesh Chaturti which is around September and then we have Deepavali maybe 2 months later.. overall seems to be a lot of guessing left to do until the actual release happens.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed