Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 11:08   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What I didn't understand with Fiat is why they didn't show some interesting concepts. Even if these cars were a few years away or not slated for launch. The idea is to draw crowds and generate interest as well as get people to see what the brand is capable of.

All they had to do was import 2 cars, the Fiat 500X compact crossover, and the new Tipo/Egea sedan.

These 2 cars alone would have done wonders to the brand and got people excited.

Heck Chevy parked the Camaro and Corvette and that did wonders for them. Hyundai had 3 cars, the i30, Sonata and SQ90 which are easily a few years down or won't even make it but they still parked them their to draw crowd.
They are concentrating on the 2nd Pillar of rolling out more variants of Punto and Linea. This made them completely forget about all these.

It would be better if they had not participated at all. Only saving grace was the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 18:38   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

It would be better if they had not participated at all. Only saving grace was the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.
Fiat should have just taken a small space and showcased the engines that they supply to Maruti and others. Fiat India is making money only by selling engines than the actual car itself, they are happy with this.
Old 9th February 2016, 09:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

Really disappointed to see such a automobile great peddling just one car across the range in ever so many version (Linea is a booted Punto again) for so many years. Wonder how long will they keep flogging

Upon that they bring back a decade old Punto "Poor" err Pure which should actually be called Puntocab and it rightly fits that market (maybe that is their intention). Not sure if things will change any more drastically in Auto Expo 2018 even!
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 21:11   #64
BHPian

Why is Fiat so conservative in India. My BIL bought a FIAT UNO way back in 1997; another colleague had bought a FIAT Sienna in 2004. Both of them were happy with the cars but not with A.S.S. ; things haven't improved since then by any margin.

FIAT lost an opportunity to showcase its best buy car of Europe 2016 - 'FIAT TIPO".

Fiat @ Auto Expo 2016-fiat-tipo.jpg

This car can easily blow away the best of C+ segment sedans in India if launched here.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/fiat/tipo

http://www.fiat.com/tipo
breezydrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 22:03   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Fiat showcased the Linea 125s
Any news on the expected price and when it will be available in the showrooms?
Old 2nd April 2016, 00:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post
Any news on the expected price and when it will be available in the showrooms?
They say it will come later this year, but which month? Expected price should be 10 lacs ex showroom. Anyways, this is a welcome launch as this is something which will actually hit the roads and be the most powerful in its segment. One more color option should be offered though.
Old 4th April 2016, 18:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Fiat showcased the Linea 125s:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
They say it will come later this year, but which month? Expected price should be 10 lacs ex showroom. Anyways, this is a welcome launch as this is something which will actually hit the roads and be the most powerful in its segment. One more color option should be offered though.
Exactly, this is a welcome move.

Enthusiasts, I invite your attention here for a minute.
I have been comparing the tech specs of VW Jetta 1.4L TSI against that of Linea 125s the other day, and was surprised to see the power to weight ratio and other similarities.

Linea 125s:
1. Power to weight ratio : 97.77
2. Torque to weight ratio : 166.93
3. Tyres : 205 / 55 R16
4. Rear Disc Brakes (IMO its worth a mention since no other car in the segment has this)

VW Jetta 1.4L TSI
1. Power to weight ratio : 88.62
2. Torque to weight ratio : 147.71
4. Rear Disc Brakes

On the safety side I can see only ESP and the 6 airbags missing in Linea 125s, which I can live with.

On the performance front, I would not say Linea 125s beats Jetta (since it's a direct injection motor). But I could say it comes almost equivalent, considering the power to weight & torque to weight ratios.

Ride quality & Driving dynamics: I'm sure Linea will not fall behind in this area as well.

Now why would anybody want to buy a Jetta over Linea 125s, if its not for luxuary ?!!
vpillai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 19:16   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have been comparing the tech specs of VW Jetta 1.4L TSI against that of Linea 125s the other day, and was surprised to see the power to weight ratio and other similarities.

Linea 125s:
1. Power to weight ratio : 97.77
2. Torque to weight ratio : 166.93
4. Rear Disc Brakes (IMO its worth a mention since no other car in the segment has this)

VW Jetta 1.4L TSI
1. Power to weight ratio : 88.62
2. Torque to weight ratio : 147.71
4. Rear Disc Brakes

On the safety side I can see only ESP and the 6 airbags missing in Linea 125s, which I can live with.

On the performance front, I would not say Linea 125s beats Jetta (since it's a direct injection motor). But I could say it comes almost equivalent, considering the power to weight & torque to weight ratios.

Ride quality & Driving dynamics: I'm sure Linea will not fall behind in this area as well.

Now why would anybody want to buy a Jetta over Linea 125s, if its not for luxuary ?!!
The Linea 125S price point would be much lower than the Jetta where the Trendline costs INR 14.4 lakhs and Comfortline costs INR 15.95 Lakhs ex showroom. In all probability the Linea 125S would cost less than 14 lakhs on road Bangalore, but you do lose on the space, much better fit & finish and a few more features. Not to forget Jetta belongs to a higher segment. I dont think there will be any cross shopping here.

Linea is way too old in the current market, so not sure why Fiat is
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 00:39   #69
BHPian

Quote:

Completely agree with what you said. Me too thinking on the same lines while doing the comparison but couldn't have put better than this. Thanks for bringing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The Linea 125S price point would be much lower than the Jetta where the Trendline costs INR 14.4 lakhs and Comfortline costs INR 15.95 Lakhs ex showroom. In all probability the Linea 125S would cost less than 14 lakhs on road Bangalore, but you do lose on the space, much better fit & finish and a few more features. Not to forget Jetta belongs to a higher segment. I dont think there will be any cross shopping here.

Linea is way too old in the current market, so not sure why Fiat is
No doubts on the superiority of the Jetta, which is benchmark in the D segment. As @vpillai said, the 125 is almost there, sitting at the tail of Jetta in many departments, and at a lower price point. How much lower, remains to be seen. The Tjet regularly goes at discounts from 1lac upto 1.5lac. Seeing this, the 125 should still undercut top variant of MT Honda City.
Old 5th April 2016, 07:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:

You are absolutely correct in your assessment, and I for one think the T-Jet (since I don't know the price of the 125s) is a brilliant product and great value for money.

BUT, and it pains me to say this being a very satisfied T-Jet owner, I wouldn't buy/recommend a new Fiat today seeing how dealerships are shutting shop all over the country. At the end of the day you need to be able to provide support for your product.

We Bangalore boys have been relatively lucky so far but like the 'King of good times' I don't think it's going to last.

C'est la vie, as they say.
Old 5th April 2016, 08:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

I think we should start classifying Fiat as a niche and enthusiast car maker. While I will definitely not recommend Fiats to anyone expecting a fuss free ownership, I have personally gone to Pune to book one. We should instead be thankful to Maruti for buying Fiat engines. The engine business not only allows the FCA to earn money but also allows it to introduce car models that other manufacturers won't even think about eg Swift Sport.

Agreed about the abysmal dealer network and lack of service centres, but after seeing their monthly car sales I'm thankful that they haven't shut shop! In today's mass market appeal vehicles, Fiats tend to stand out and for that I think we should appreciate Fiat.
Old 5th April 2016, 08:54   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I think we should start classifying Fiat as a niche and enthusiast car maker. While I will definitely not recommend Fiats to anyone expecting a fuss free ownership, I have personally gone to Pune to book one. We should instead be thankful to Maruti for buying Fiat engines. The engine business not only allows the FCA to earn money but also allows it to introduce car models that other manufacturers won't even think about eg Swift Sport.

Agreed about the abysmal dealer network and lack of service centres, but after seeing their monthly car sales I'm thankful that they haven't shut shop! In today's mass market appeal vehicles, Fiats tend to stand out and for that I think we should appreciate Fiat.
You can call it whatever you want but at the end of the day it has to be profitable for the dealer to survive. No dealers means no sales even if you want the car unless Fiat starts 'factory direct' sales.
Old 5th April 2016, 09:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we should start classifying Fiat as a niche and enthusiast car maker.

In today's mass market appeal vehicles, Fiats tend to stand out and for that I think we should appreciate Fiat.
I love Fiats, and I understand your sentiment, especially considering that you have put down your money on an Abarth Punto no less, but to be honest, even the guys at Fiat would be surprised to read your statements.

Fiat is a mass-market brand - globally, not just in India. They have been relegated to a niche brand because they failed to sell volumes in India. It is not out of choice.

If I was in India right now, I would have got myself an Abarth Punto as well, but if they have to survive in India in the long-term, they have to sell something other than engines to MSIL & TML, and a few hundred cars a month to the enthusiast crowd.
Old 5th April 2016, 13:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
You can call it whatever you want but at the end of the day it has to be profitable for the dealer to survive. No dealers means no sales even if you want the car unless Fiat starts 'factory direct' sales.
Agree with that. Probably fiat is the only that can attempt making factory direct sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post

Fiat is a mass-market brand - globally, not just in India. They have been relegated to a niche brand because they failed to sell volumes in India. It is not out of choice.

but if they have to survive in India in the long-term, they have to sell something other than engines to MSIL & TML, and a few hundred cars a month to the enthusiast crowd.

Yup. As long as Maruti is going strong, I doubt there will be any other car out selling them in mass market vehicles. Let's hope the crash test norms give a boost to Fiat sales when they will be enforced.
Old 5th April 2016, 18:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's hope the crash test norms give a boost to Fiat sales when they will be enforced.

Crash test norms coming into place won't be a differentiator really. Every single car maker (including our home grown ones) have the know-how to design and produce cars that can meet the most stringent of crash norms.

As of now, they have chosen not to sell safe cars in our market, to save on costs. The moment regulations come into place, almost every car you see now will either be modified or replaced to meet crash norms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks