Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 09:51   #91
BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Dear Waseem and team, hats off to the perseverance in chasing the 30 day rule. Hope the yearly tax option is brought back soon.

Now, RTO Is planning the crack down on cars that are plying in bangalore for more than 12 months. The only grouse against this rule is the lack of practical view. So instead of making it life tax (which is 15 years) make it tax payable for the rest of the life of the car. For e.g: Assuming the car has a life of 15 years, and that its already 4 year old while coming to Bangalore, why should the owner again pay for 15 years ? Instead, pay for 11 years.

Or the RTO's should have an arrangement between themselves to get the tax credits. So if i registered the car in Hyd and ended up moving to Bangalore, then along with NOC, the Hyd RTO should also transfer the tax to KA RTO. Making the process easier would make sure that citizens are not harrassed, government would have better tax collection and compliance.

You can read the Bangalore mirror article for details.

Quite interesting to read the following from the report:

"It is not the only the general public, but even in the department, officials have urged higher-ups to relax the rule. The rule was brought in by the state government in 2014, the year in which the department failed to meet the revenue target due to a fall in the registration of cars. After the 30-day rule came into force those who owned high-end cars don't go to Puducherry or other states to register their cars to evade tax. However, we have to admit that while imposing the 30-day rules some vehicle owners were harassed," the official said"

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 14th March 2016 at 09:54.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:07   #92
BHPian

What document can be used as a undeniable proof to claim that a car has been in KA for a certain/claimed period of time?
Old 14th March 2016, 10:15   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
What document can be used as a undeniable proof to claim that a car has been in KA for a certain/claimed period of time?
PUC Certificate. It is government-authorized and has a photograph of the vehicle on it.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:28   #94
BHPian

If an out-of-state vehicle stays in Bangalore for 11 months and then goes to the native state for a week, will the 1 year period gets reset??

Last edited by arun_kun : 14th March 2016 at 10:29.
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:45   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
PUC Certificate. It is government-authorized and has a photograph of the vehicle on it.
PUC certificate validity is 6 months.

So whenever someone enters Karnataka should make a new PUC, although the existing one (from other state) may have months of validity left?

Also, the older PUC certificate needs to be preserved to prove the tenure of the car plying in Karnataka.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
If an out-of-state vehicle stays in Bangalore for 11 months and then goes to the native state for a week, will the 1 year period gets reset??
This one, and many other questions are there in mind. Is there some document/website where all the things have been clearly mentioned?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th March 2016 at 11:36. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 14th March 2016, 11:02   #96
BHPian

Finally some sense has prevailed. The law was a sham and it was simply trying to make easy money for the Karnataka Govt.
Waseem and the team - kudos to your efforts for making like a little more fairer for people. I also hope, people sincerely pay taxes after the stipulated time and do not look for loopholes.
Old 14th March 2016, 11:52   #97
BANNED

In all this my faith in the nation has got stronger.

We need to be less of cowards and stand up not only for our rights but the rights of others too. Don't judge others that they are tax defaulters and outsiders based on your narrow views. There will be selfish cowards who will take the easy way out but then there are people like Waseem who will stand up for you. A complete stranger who thinks your problem is his too and spends time and money to sort out "our" issue. There are many like him. Stand with them.

If you can't stand with them. Move out of the way. Once a coward stay a coward hiding behind your language, region and comfort. Don't get in the way of such people.
Spitfire is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 12:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Finally some sense has prevailed. The law was a sham and it was simply trying to make easy money for the Karnataka Govt.
Waseem and the team - kudos to your efforts for making like a little more fairer for people. I also hope, people sincerely pay taxes after the stipulated time and do not look for loopholes.
Yes.

At the same time we should be careful and not be a victim of corruption by maintaining proper proofs and being responsible ourselves.
Old 14th March 2016, 12:53   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Waseem & team hats off to your perseverance

Today's first page of Indian Express, Bangalore edition carries this news:
Much-Hated Lifetime Tax Norm for Non-KA Vehicles Struck Down

Congrats...!!! Big victory.

A big step ahead in bringing down the draconian taxation regime. Some of the KA road taxation rules defy all logic. Take for example astronomical OTR prices of cars registered in KA or even the fuel prices compared to other states. Here in KA, they always expect car owners to pay through the nose. In-spite of all these heavy taxation, the conditions of roads in KA are pathetic. Wonder where all that tax money goes?
Old 14th March 2016, 13:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
If I bought an AC in Delhi which I am now using in Bangalore, the state government, which is perfectly right to boost its revenue targets as suggested by some individuals here, would require me to pay VAT again since I am using the AC in their state now.
good logic, you will have to 're-register' AC in KA since now you are using and sharing local resources of electricity. And the air that is re-circulated in AC is KA air. You can be taxed for that also.

KA govt was so eager to tax incoming hordes without any responsibility on deliverables. All gain no pain was their mantra. Easy life they have.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 13:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
The onus of paying LTT is on the owner of the vehicle, when the owner is stays in a different state for more than 12 months. Since the owner must self-declare, it is difficult to enforce this law. None of the other states are as interested as KA in implementing this law and most states turn blind-eye. It is the eagerness of KA RTOs which blinded them into crafting an obnoxious law, which reduced this 12 month period to just 1 month.

Kudos to Waseem & team for upholding the law as per MV Act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is pretty much the same argument used by Adolf Eichmann during his trial; didn't work for him and doesn't work in this case either.
I guessed that it was leading to Godwin's law . I think he claimed 'not my fault, I was only obeying orders'. Post 1945, Eichmann lived under false identity in multiple countries. Post 2016, none of those who framed 30-day LTT rule & those who implemented will even think that. So the comparison ends there. Eichmann implemented a secret law and the consequences were unknown to either Jews or other Germans. People were arrested for petty reasons (secret law) and thrown to concentration camps (consequence was unknown before).

PS: It is good that a bad law was stuck down and sense prevailed. But some folks here are extrapolating this case and branding the 224 legislators of KA as thugs and questioning the sense of 45 million voters of this state who elected them, is what I objecting.
Old 14th March 2016, 14:22   #102
BHPian

I think some of the views here are getting on the other side now.
There isn't a doubt that this amendment was discriminatory towards migrant population of Bangalore and it is rightly repealed. But, it does bring to light, many underlying issues with the society with the kind of discussions and views offered by some of the members.
I think we must take a holistic view of the issues arising due to such large scale and rapid migration of people. This isn't just Bangalore or Mumbai or Pune.
The success of Indian nation is built by amalgamation of various sub-nationalism, be it Kannadiga, Tamil, Sikh, Bengali, Punjabi or Maratha (for ex). They co-exist and Indian nationalism DOES NOT suppress regional/sub-nationalism and rather aims to create a harmony between them.
Now, when there is a rapid migration to a certain area and suddenly a city becomes unrecognizable from even twenty years before, there are bound to be issues.
Everyone from Bangalore is NOT being xenophobic (though few are) when they feel repulsed by so many migrants destroying the charm of their city.
Today, Bangalore feels ripe, like Mumbai of 60s, for someone claiming right to Kannadiga pride and create a political base on this kind of politics.
Brushing it aside is not only unhelpful but also counterproductive. This kind of sentiments feeds on such things.
I think we should try to tackle the problem by creating sensitivity about different cultures. For ex, why should Engineering Colleges in up north not include a subject for south Indian languages and some elementary cultural information?
atnyia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 14:25   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

You can read the Bangalore mirror article for details.
I see below statement from this article which gives the verdict summary

'The order also states that "If the vehicle is once registered in any state in India, it shall not be required to be registered elsewhere in India. But when a motor vehicle registered in one state has been kept in another state, for a period exceeding 12 months, the owner of the vehicle shall apply to a registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark. This is as provided under section 46 and 47 of the MV Act.'

Below is my understanding of the rule in affect after the judgement
1. Non-KA vehicles can be used in KA for 12 months without paying life time tax or change of registration
2. Tolls bills can be shown as proofs during RTO checks for arriving at date of entry
3. Before end of this 12 month period, both the life time tax has to be paid and change of registration also be needs to be completed

Are the above statements correct? Especially for the 3rd point, I see conflicting interpretations in this thread.

Last edited by ram1980 : 14th March 2016 at 14:34. Reason: spelling correction
Old 14th March 2016, 14:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1980 View Post
I see below statement from this article which gives the verdict summary

'The order also states that "If the vehicle is once registered in any state in India, it shall not be required to be registered elsewhere in India. But when a motor vehicle registered in one state has been kept in another state, for a period exceeding 12 months, the owner of the vehicle shall apply to a registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark. This is as provided under section 46 and 47 of the MV Act.'
Please refer to the attached order which was pronounced by the Chief Justice of the Honourable High Court Of Telengana & AP.

I have also attached the last page which clears the air.

Waseem
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-thc.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hyderabad Order.pdf (28.2 KB, 634 views)
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 15:19   #105
BHPian

I am still confused on the enforcement of this law.

If my understanding is correct, earlier the rule said outside vehicles can ply in KA for a period of one month. Now it is one year. So the cops could still argue unless you have an un-deniable proof.

Even in such a case, people will find loopholes like taking the vehicle back to their home state at the end of one year, getting some proof like PUC there and comeback to Bangalore to beat the one year rule.

And most importantly, this may prompt people to buy vehicles in cheaper states, and use them in Bangalore.

So I am not sure how this rule will be enforced to discourage misuse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks