Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:27   #121
BHPian

Re: Using Reverse Horn. Good or Bad?

it is quite a pain really...i mean, if you need, you can always the honk the horn that you have, does not really matter if it is placed in front or back!!!
those automated beepers are a pain. At least, can we some some tech so that it plays only when the car is rolling and not immediately once you engage the reverse gear???
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:42   #122
BHPian

Two words "Hate it" the most irritating noise coming out of the car. Cant imagine how many cuss words flood out every morning/night from all those peacefully sleeping person who are rattled by the utter nuisance these reversing horns create. Its my observation that smaller the car higher is the probability of this reversing horn. I do not see any purpose fulfilled by these horns specially on cars other than irritating people.
In fact these horns minus the zillion decibel sound should make more sense on trucks, buses and heavy equipment's. In Europe I have seen trucks fitted with audible reversing indication which is in form of beeps and not Bollywood tunes !!
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:48   #123
BHPian

Reverse horns are a menace. I personally do not approve them. Some go to the extent of having patriotic songs as the theme (Saare Jahaan) and that is not on. Some have that annoying loud 'tee tee tee teet' sound which makes me want to reach behind my eyeballs and pull my brains out just to find peace. Especially in basements, it is worse. Those low decible short beeps that vans have are ok.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 23rd January 2013, 02:11   #124
BHPian

When you buy a pair of new horns, relocate the stock horn to somewhere under rear bumper & keep a separate switch for it. Will be useful while reversing in crowd.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Where is the question of good or bad, if it is already banned by the law?
Whether it is implimented or not, is a different story altogether.

In one word, its a nuisance.
Old 26th January 2013, 14:50   #126
BHPian

I remember back in my childhood, my uncle used to have a reverse horn in his Maruti 800 and at that time we used to think of it as a cool or something like a 'luxurious' feature. But yes now its nothing other than a problem for our ears.
Old 8th March 2015, 11:11   #127
BHPian

Hi friends,
Our 800 has a reverse siren that is not working. I do not want to go to MASS for such a small issue. The reverse siren reminds me of my old days and I want to restore it. I have not yet found the relay controlling it.

Where is the reverse siren in a car?

No threads on the forum regarding how to troubleshoot a reverse siren.

How can I fix it without spending a fortune? The lights are working fine but the sound is missing. What might have gone wrong? Where are the speakers for this siren and which relay controls the siren?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ashok.
Old 8th March 2015, 12:08   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
Hi friends,
Our 800 has a reverse siren that is not working. I do not want to go to MASS for such a small issue. The reverse siren reminds me of my old days and I want to restore it. I have not yet found the relay controlling it.

Where is the reverse siren in a car?

No threads on the forum regarding how to troubleshoot a reverse siren.

How can I fix it without spending a fortune? The lights are working fine but the sound is missing. What might have gone wrong? Where are the speakers for this siren and which relay controls the siren?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ashok.
Why don't you buy a new one? Used to cost 150-200INR IIRC.
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 13:17   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Why don't you buy a new one? Used to cost 150-200INR IIRC.
Only Rs. 150-200, while we purchased the car the dealer told us that it is an MGA and costs Rs. 3000

Ours was a Sai service Maruti 800 and if you have driven any 800s/altos belonging to the 2003-04-05 period you would have heard it.

It was not very awful. Infact there was a sweet music that never disturbed anyone. I liked it a lot. It was our first car and good memories are associated with it.

Anyways, thanks for helping out.
Ashok.
Old 9th March 2015, 00:46   #130
BHPian

Neither good nor bad, just plain annoying.
Old 9th March 2015, 07:37   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489
Neither good nor bad, just plain annoying.
I too fully agree. There should be spot fines for using reverse horn on the streets. I am also in favour of hefty spot fines for 2 other uncivil things - using loud/relay horns (after market parts that massage rude drivers' ego), and using high-beam in the city as a everyday practice.
Old 9th March 2015, 08:45   #132
BHPian

Never like reverse horns infact have never liked horns.

But sometimes where there is a nut driving behind you and keeps honking, might just be useful.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:22   #133
BHPian

I always mutter "Another noob who doesn't know that the vehicle he/she is driving is in reverse gear"

As said before, it is plain annoying. There is no need for additional attention to a vehicle just because it is going reverse, by default the reverse lights come on when going backwards and that more than what you need.

Lot of driving newbies in our apartment and quite a few in the office (even though the office etiquette mentions disabling of the creepy reverse horns in campus, not many understand the meaning of manners).

There are times I wish I had The Mask of Loki, "I think he wants to communicate" and then squeeze gently!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks