Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2006, 16:50   #1
BHPian

Using Reverse Horn. Good or Bad?

I read an article in Autocar October issue on the reverse horns. They mentioned that sound level is very high and not advised to use them in cars.

I personally feel that it is very useful especially in India. People will now that you are backing up and they will be cautious. We can decrease the noise level by covering up the speaker.

Please put your thoughts on this poll.
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its a good idea while backing in a heavy crowd. But not during 1AM in the night, when the whole block is sleeping - actually its a nuisance. I feel there should be an option to disable when not required.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:36   #3
lancer_mania

i dont like the sound.its very irritating.

Old 3rd October 2006, 17:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Had autocop andits very useful in crowdy areas or in the afternoons. Plus it has a option of silent unlocking in which the reverse horn gets disabled automatically. IMHO i think its available in all those central locking if you unlock silently then reverse horn goes off.
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:52   #5
BHPian

Reverse Horn should be banned as its very irritating, especially at night if somebody is taking his / hew own sweet time to reverse the vehicle
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't like reverse horns nor do I get their points.
If you want to make people aware when reversing you always have horn.
Old 3rd October 2006, 17:55   #7
BHPian

I think its really irritating...particularly the hindi tunes....every day morning you have to wake up to them...
I dont see any utility in the reverse horns...if someones not moving...just yell out, "Saar, pls..."

Honestly I think they should be banned...
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:02   #8
BHPian

Why I feel it is required because last friday my cousin was backing his new car in the night and the cycle walla did not notice that the car was backing up and hit his car. Due to darkness my cousin also did not see that guy. The rear glass and danger light assembly were damaged.
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:15   #9
BHPian

reverse horns are extremetely irritating contraptions, but a necessary evil nonetheless. if some law comes makes the sound-level decibels of these horns within reasonable limits, it will be far more welcome. ina crowded marketplace in the evenings, is where the maximum usefulness of this device is felt, where even ones normal horn is rather useless, since it blasts in the front...and you want to reverse!!

however in the mornings, in colonies is where the irritation level of this device is felt to the max...one actually feels like wringing the dudes neck, as he backs out his vehicle at 5 in the morning!!

hence the control in decibel levels.
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:16   #10
BHPian

its not bad to have alarms, but which ones to put is the point. its the same with mobile rings also, cheap & crap tunes disturbing u in the middle of a meeting.
Old 3rd October 2006, 18:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Reversing Horns are the single most irritating things on a car EVER. I think they should be banned along with the car alarms that only go off at the middle of the night for no apparent reason & never go off when a thief is stealing something!!
Old 3rd October 2006, 19:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Agree with most people here that have found it to be a nuisance. Man, we have a few guys in the apartment, that come in late at night and screw everyone's sleep with their reverse alarm sound. These should be banned.
Use discretion for normal cases and the horn in case of doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narasimha raju
Why I feel it is required because last friday my cousin was backing his new car in the night and the cycle walla did not notice that the car was backing up and hit his car. Due to darkness my cousin also did not see that guy. The rear glass and danger light assembly were damaged.
If the cycle guy did not notice the white reverse light of the car, nor did he see/hear the car inching towards him, either he was seriously engrossed in something or plain stupid. Either way, I do not think a reverse alarm would have helped in that case.

And maybe your cousin should have been a little careful too. What if it was some kid playing behind the car ?
Old 3rd October 2006, 19:32   #13
BHPian

some peeps don't think otherwise and are pretty deaf enough to give you a piece of their mind...Dikhaee nahin deta Kya..!
Old 3rd October 2006, 19:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

fancy reversing horns on cars are a waste and only end up irritating everyone in and out of the car. they make a lot of noise but don't really help.

however, reversing horns are somewhat helpful when fitted on vans & trucks - in general, vehicles with limited (or absent) rear visibilty.

a standard beeping-tone reversing horn works better than a fancy one with vocals & techno sounds.
Old 3rd October 2006, 20:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

In the west most big trucks are fitted with reverse horns which give long beeps(not very loud) when reversing, and these are enough to warn people nearby.,
The problem in India is that most reverse horns are based on autocop etc., and connected to anti theft alarm which creates a racket when the car is reversing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks