Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 14:05   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Looking to buy an automatic hatchback for my wife and the new Brio looks like an interesting choice.

The other cars that we had a look at are:

1) Grand i10 - 8.10L after all discounts
2) Nissan Micra XV CVT - 8.07L after discounts
3) Ford figo - 9.02L (no discounts - this was a big surprise)
4) Polo GT Tsi - ~11L (no discounts)
Baleno CVT offers the most bang for your buck. It's a size larger than Grand i10, Figo, Micra and Brio. The long waiting period is the only issue with Baleno CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshjairaj View Post
Isn't it time they dump the sliding switch for recirculation and go for a modern button? Its an eyesore in an otherwise neat cabin.
The sliding switch is safer & more convenient to use than button switch - because you don't need to take your eyes off the road while changing from recirculation to outside mode & vice versa.

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th October 2016 at 14:11.
Old 5th October 2016, 14:11   #32
BHPian

Keeping the layman's perspective aside, the Brio with it's new updated cabin and overall package now offers an excellent alternative for auto enthusiasts on a tight budget.

One might say why not a Polo Comfortline then by just paying a little more? Well, at least for me the engine matters and I am not paying 6.5 lakhs on-road for a 3 Cylinder MPi motor. The Polo indeed is an excellent handler but Brio isn't bad either and I feel the space in both the vehicle is quiet similar.

If one sees the Brio facelift as an overall package, It's an extremely value for money offering. A lot of people aren't happy with the Brio's facelift's pricing, I would really like to know what's wrong in it? Seeing the price comparison posted on Page 2, it seems to be an extremely interesting package to me atleast in the top end VX trim! One doesn't really expect Honda to sell the Brio at the price of pea-nuts right?

Last edited by YashD : 5th October 2016 at 14:34. Reason: Grammar Mistakes!
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 14:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
With the Brio being a new car I don't expect any discounts as of now. Would this car be a better choice over the Micra?
Micra CVT is a bliss to drive in the city conditions. The gear shifts are very smooth and it has a lot more cabin and boot space when compared with the Brio.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 14:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I would really like to know what's wrong in it? Seeing the price comparison posted above, it seems to be an extremely interesting package to me atleast in the top end VX trim! One doesn't really expect Honda to sell the Brio at the price of pea-nuts right?
As a Brio owner, I can put some points here
1. The Brio is an enthusiast's car, right. No other car engine comes so close to the i-vtec if we consider an enthusiast's perspective in this category.

2. The lack of initial grunt in the Brio is missed by a quite a few people who use the car in city limits. Other cars (Wagon R, Celerio especially) fare much better in this aspect.

3. For the same price you can get a car which has more boot space and little more features like rear wipers, adjustable neck restraints etc. Remember, space cannot be bought later. The Brio's boot is not for the faint-hearted, trust me You just need to have a flat tyre at night to know what I am saying.

4. Brio's fit and finish is nowhere close to Hyundai's (Even Tata Tiago comes better finished now)

5. Economy grade seats at not comfortable (lower back) for long drives. The Swift and now discontinued Ritz offered much more comfortable front seats. Rear seats need not be elaborated, while they have better leg space, it comes at a cost of reduced bench width. Same is the case of the seat height. (I dont know if it offers 60-40 split on VX trim but my guess is they don't). All these points don't add up quite well when you have rear passengers on a long drive.

6. A little stiff suspension compared to others can be irritating to people who prefer soft and smooth rides at the cost of better handling.

7. Honda does not sell parts/consumables over the counter. I could not procure even an air filter without getting the car serviced at their authorized service center (Argued a lot with Crystal Honda, Pune, didn't budge). Maruti and Hyundai sell consumables over-the-counter. Can be a head-ache if the service center is far or you are more of a DIY guy.

When I was buying the Brio, I was getting i20 1.2 sportz model with additional 10k. The car had much better rear seats, space and fit and finish. But the car was too boring to drive: dead steering, engine was a little coarse at higher rpm and ride was commuter-ish. For an enthusiast , the Brio has written 'please drive me' all over it. But for sensible buyer who considers practicality as well, she does not make much sense.

I, as a owner, say that the Brio should be priced little lower as competition offers much more than her. What Brio offers is not perceptible to the naked eye: Driving pleasure

I am sure Honda knows all this and they are fine with the car selling 1000 odd numbers each month. She is slowly becoming an enthusiast's car in the market with niche following.

One Question : Have they removed the V version completely ? That creates a problem in comparing the cars then.

Last edited by NiInJa : 5th October 2016 at 15:06. Reason: Added a question
NiInJa is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 15:28   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
For an enthusiast , the Brio has written 'please drive me' all over it. But for sensible buyer who considers practicality as well, she does not make much sense.
+1 to that.

I wish that honda takes inspiration from FrankMehta and pops the 1.5 iVTEC into this... Trust me this car has the potential to becomes Indias Mini Cooper!
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 15:52   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Very nicely summed up. I got one for my parents and its an absolute hoot to drive. I drove the petrol Dzire sometime back and the engine was way too lethargic. Somehow I found the engine gearbox combo far superior in the Brio, but have never seen anyone else comment on the same so it could be buyers bias. Another thing is that I find the Brio driver seat very spacious, more than the City in fact which is my regular drive. Might have to do with thinner seats or something, but my 6.1 90kg body frame feels more comfortable in the Brio for some reason.

Parents on the other hand crib about boot space a lot. My pleas to them to treat it as a 2 seater and have rear seats folded, has fallen on deaf ears. I guess that's me rationalizing getting them a car they had no clue about

But all in all, I probably would not have bought any other car 2 years back. Now I'm thinking of an AT option for them. Figo would be my first choice but issues reported with the DCT are not instilling much confidence. And in a way it's good that the Brio has the more robust torque converter AT than the CVT. So wouldn't be shocked if we end up picking the Brio again
avisidhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 16:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

On road Prices, Pune , sans any accessories. Accessories include Mats and number plate as well.

E-MT : 5.46L
EX-MT : 5.51L
S-MT : 6.07L
V-MT : 6.34L
VX-MT : 6.93L
VX-AT : 7.98L.

Quote:
1. The Brio is an enthusiast's car, right. No other car engine comes so close to the i-vtec if we consider an enthusiast's perspective in this category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Swift would provide even more driving pleasure and the Maruti's 1.2 K-Series is quite enthusiastic in the mid and the top end, similar to Brio, but handles even better than the Brio. The swift's steering is also better weighted.
I completely agree. The Swift has much better availability of power, a much surer and more precise gear shift, better steering as well. Even the refinement of the 1.2K is great, not saying the Honda is bad, but on the Swift is great too.
Honda could have chosen to price it like a "pocket rocket" , but the price hike kinda negated that. Because till Sept, the On Road Price of a Brio AT was 7.6L. It has now received an almost 40k bump , for absolutely no new feature at all! Not even climate control , or a basic rear wash-wipe.

Last edited by sajo : 5th October 2016 at 17:04. Reason: Quotes and Wrong formatting.
sajo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 16:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Swift would provide even more driving pleasure and the Maruti's 1.2 K-Series is quite enthusiastic in the mid and the top end, similar to Brio, but handles even better than the Brio. The swift's steering is also better weighted.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 17:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1. As far as I remember, the Swift was a tad more expensive compared to similar variant of Brio (back in 2013). Like I said, there are better competitors to Brio, hence there is a scope for price correction.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 19:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Figo has a 1.5L petrol engine and thus falls in the higher tax bracket. Produces 112ps compared to approx 85ps the others have and is mated to a dual clutch transmission. Also in the safety front, it has ESP, Traction control and hill start assist.

Looks like the best value proposition in the list.
Figo is definitely the best among all choices. But it is a tad bit more than our budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The long waiting period is the only issue with Baleno CVT.
Definitely cannot wait for 6 months!!

Quote:
Micra CVT is a bliss to drive in the city conditions. The gear shifts are very smooth and it has a lot more cabin and boot space when compared with the Brio.
I have also heard good things about the CVT in the micra. Yet to take a test drive. I might end up with this one. They have some pretty good offers running like free insurance, corporate discount, flat discount and gold coin.
Old 5th October 2016, 20:37   #41
BHPian

Motorbeam has come out with their review for updated Brio. Link

Summary of the review:

What’s Cool
* New cosmetic changes up front makes it look fresh and sleeker
* All-new dashboard lifts the aesthetics of the cabin
* Much needed Bluetooth audio system offered with digital AC controls
* Free revving petrol engine is fun to drive along with sorted dynamics
* Manual gearbox is slick while 5-speed AT is super convenient for the city

What’s Not So Cool
* Side profile and rear don’t get noticeable changes
* No touchscreen navigation system, rear parking sensors missing, no rear wipers
* ABS and airbags only offered on the range topping trim
* Still no diesel engine option with the Brio
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 23:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Keeping the layman's perspective aside, the Brio with it's new updated cabin and overall package now offers an excellent alternative for auto enthusiasts on a tight budget.

One might say why not a Polo Comfortline then by just paying a little more? Well, at least for me the engine matters and I am not paying 6.5 lakhs on-road for a 3 Cylinder MPi motor. The Polo indeed is an excellent handler but Brio isn't bad either and I feel the space in both the vehicle is quiet similar.

If one sees the Brio facelift as an overall package, It's an extremely value for money offering. A lot of people aren't happy with the Brio's facelift's pricing, I would really like to know what's wrong in it? Seeing the price comparison posted on Page 2, it seems to be an extremely interesting package to me atleast in the top end VX trim! One doesn't really expect Honda to sell the Brio at the price of pea-nuts right?
I expected Honda to make abs and airbags to be standard across its Brio range as part of this facelift. The fact that they didn't is a big disappointment to begin with. Toyota is offering abs and airbags as standard in its Etios range. Even Maruti is offering these as an option on its product range.

For a buyer who considers safety as his priority Brio is not an option unless he is ready to buy the top trim. It's not the most spacious car in it's price range either. So someone who wants a family hatch would not consider car space Brio, especially if it's the only car in his garage. The lack of boot space is a huge let down.

Attaching the images from a few threads to show how Brio compares against its competiton when it comes to space and power.
courtesy to respective thread owners

Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs-img_0002.jpg
Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs-img_0003.jpg

If Honda puts its sensible cap at some point in future and plonks a 1.5 L engine, upgrade its suspension, offer abs and airbags across the range and add a rear wiper then Brio will become the smallest hot hatch in the country.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 10:13   #43
BHPian

The only gripe in the Brio(to me) was the plain Jane interior. With that fixed this car is the only alternative to the Swift petrol in the 'fun to drive+practicality' category under 6 lakhs.

They should have kept the price same as the outgoing one though or else could have given airbags+ABS standard across all variants to justify the price(though it would be running on discounts soon).

The engine never required a change, to me it feels better than the Swift. Hope they have improved the rubbery gearshift and weighed the power steering a bit more. Would have preferred black interiors across all variants.
Old 6th October 2016, 12:33   #44
BHPian

One thing I would like to add about the Brio because some have posted that it should have the 1.5 Litre ivtec engine to make it pocket rocket. The 1.2 litre is adequate and very refined. I found it marginally better than the 1.2 K12. Also since I own the Generation 3 Honda City as well as the Honda Brio I can vouch that Brio is nowhere close to the on road Stability of the Honda City. In Mumbai I get very scared to touch 100 KMPH speed on the Brio even on an empty sea link road, however its no fuss with the City. Note that this is inspite of the updated 185 profile Michelin tyres in the Brio. Its not about the time taken to reach speed. That's just fine. Its the stability.

No doubt its a brilliant car with lots of fun but it should not have more power than what it does right now. I wonder how FrankMehta manages so much power on tap with his Crio.

I am also hoping that they have improved the Airconditioner a bit. Its adequate but not bone chilling like the bigger Honda.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 15:41   #45
BHPian

The Autocar review is also out. Link

Their conclusion is line with my view as well.

"The thing is, when you see the Brio in light of similar priced competition from the likes of the Maruti Ritz, the Swift, Ford Figo, Hyundai Grand i10 and even the Mahindra KUV100, the case for the little Honda doesn’t seem quite as compelling. Yes, it is better than before and improves on an already good package. But is it enough to bring the attention back to the Honda? Perhaps not. We fear it’s not a case of too little, but more a case of too late."
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks